Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Betty the Fish

JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
vqqu0i2dp9um.jpg

Get a load of this cutey. I love the art direction for the mobs in this game. The fact that they showed off a sea creature this detailed and appropriately sized gives me hope they are working on mobs for a sea biome.

What are your thoughts on this being able to be fought on surf areas like the otters and crabs in Alpha? Any other 'surf' style biome creatures you are interested in? Perhaps some deadly leg snails?
Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw

Comments

• Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Love to see some truly scary mobs of all types.
    Nothing like a good old fashioned kraken hiding below the waves waiting to drag your ship down to keep the blood pumping.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    edited April 2022
    Betty made me think of:

4bco1f7njwc3.jpg

And its not ever her name..
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    The fact that they spent the time to do a single mob in this detail and that it was practically a throw-away cameo shot says a lot about the other creatures we don't know anything about.
  • Options
    Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yeah, I do want to see some of the truly horrifying types of creatures that have evolved or with magic from the the others came to inhabit Vera. Regular animals changed a bit is all fun and all, but there should definitely be some truly horrific denizens as well.
  • Options
    k22lcwx0dygb.jpg
  • Options
    The ocean is full of monstrosities and I wanna see them
  • Options
    truelytruely Member, Alpha One
    I hope it's absolutely massive
  • Options
    They said in stream it was a Raid Boss out in the ocean.
    truely wrote: »
    I hope it's absolutely massive

They also said that it was indeed huge.

• Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Can't wait to battle big monsters while I'm out at sea >:)

What other monsters/sea creatures do you hope to see in Ashes of Creation?
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    Anglerfish, squid, reef stonefish and sea urchin. All these creatures and their crossbreeds in giant scale would be terrifying. :#

Also I would like to see some kind of hybrid of elephant seal and leopard seal.

Walruses and sea lions could be a very good pets and mounts! ;)
  • Options
    What TeemAmurica said - it should be a raid boss akin to the KRAKEN (in Archeage?) - and should be bigger! I like the idea that it will be Naval combat using ships, harpoons and cannons - maybe if we get close enough we can use range spells but I wouldn't want melee characters to feel gimped, though maybe they would get priority on the guns :) And this is just the one we have seen, so the idea that we will have a bunch is really exciting.
  • Options
    Just imagine waddling along on your aquatic mount and you see teeth the size of your leg underneath you
  • Options
    Oh betty, It's been a while.

I am hype for more aquatic stuff. This is a great start.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    I would expect the usual mermaids & sirens to be evil, maybe some generic mobs like seals, walruses, octopus, whales and maybe throw in a nasty goldfish...
  • Options
    No joke, a walrus can kill you in multiple ways irl lol. They are pretty intimidating majestic creatures.

• Options
    truelytruely Member, Alpha One
    JustVine wrote: »
    No joke, a walrus can kill you in multiple ways irl lol. They are pretty intimidating majestic creatures.

yup they just sit on you and splat XD
  • Options
    I was looking at this most recent AoC wallpaper and staring at how close the ungulates were to the river side. And then I thought to myself 'why is kingdra the only well known terrorizing sea horse in videogames and why are there not lava and lightning varieties?'

The real question, of course, isn't if AoC should have them, but if it should be elemental breath cannon sea horses or 1 giant one.

april_2022Wallpaper---5120-x-2880.png

• Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    JustVine wrote: »
    I was looking at this most recent AoC wallpaper and staring at how close the ungulates were to the river side. And then I thought to myself 'why is kingdra the only well known terrorizing sea horse in videogames and why are there not lava and lightning varieties?'

The real question, of course, isn't if AoC should have them, but if it should be elemental breath cannon sea horses or 1 giant one.

april_2022Wallpaper---5120-x-2880.png

My first thought was whether the dude way off in the distance was flagged and mining something rare. 😉

One of the aspects of GW2 I miss (I haven’t played in a loooong time) is the attention they put into the underwater experience. Just well thought out, intriguing, and pretty to swim through.

From everything we’ve seen, it appears (being cautious) that Intrepid sees the importance of investing heavily in this biome as well.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    I love bdo's water biome for similar reasons. Unfortunately there isn't much more than gathering points but it'd be my main spot in game if it were.

I was liking what I saw in Alpha of Intrepid's idea of a water biome. It was only spoiled by a slightly unrealistic feeling amount of mobs for the beaches/surf, lack of surf mob diversity, and the lack of ocean mobs. All very understandable in an Alpha, so pretty good make for me. I think I spent at least 4 hours swimming from coast to coast (I avoided the teleporter bugs since I don't mind swimming anyway) and another couple of hours just appreciating their water physics, particle fish, and lighting in various locations.

I am really looking forward to their idea of aquatic combat based on 'ole betty' above.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Vaknar wrote: »
    What other monsters/sea creatures do you hope to see in Ashes of Creation?

I really hope to see some insane nightmare fuel world boss sea dwelling creatures from mythology such as Good ol' Kraken, Leviathan and Charybdis in Ashes. (I believe Archeage did those 3 pretty well)
    I would also like to see some prehistoric sea creatures.

As for average sea creatures the basic stuff big crabs, lobsters, octopus, squids, stingrays, jellyfish, walrus, sharks, orcas and maybe some sperm whales.

Archeage's Kraken:
    dSD2SGi.jpeg

Archeage's Leviathan:
    maxresdefault.jpg

Archeage's Charybdis:
    chary1.jpg
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    Archage definitely chose 1 giant betty when considering 100 vs 1 giant. That Leviathan looks so cool.

• Options
    Ikr Archeage's Leviathan is my favorite, i hope Betty's sea friend in Ashes are big and scary like Levi is.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I've been thinking about it a lot and think a giant nautilus fortress (Mage/tank) would make for the most effective large scale fight on water. Especially if it had the ability to call for little nautilus monsters from the deep as adds.

• Options
    MANATEES just so darn cute and chubby