Best game ever?

I’m sure many will agree this game will set the bar for the next generations of mmorpg’s, I’ve been following its progress for years, and they had already been working on it for years when I found out about it. But seriously, at this rate, will it be a game for my children? Are the dev’s ok with the final release being 10+ years from now? Or more????? The final result doesn’t have to be the final result, there are patches and expansions, hot fixes etc. I enjoy the detail as much as the next guy but they started this when I was 33, I’m 40 now. They got millions in backing for this game, I wonder what the investors are saying. Anyone else feeling like maybe they should hire some help? I’d love to see this thing before I get arthritis in my fingers.

Comments

• bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Seen the latest live stream?
    They are furiously hiring people as we speak.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    Pretty sure they started 5 years ago with a super small team (way too small for an mmo of this size) and have only boosted their numbers in the past year or so. And they're constantly hiring, just as Prophet said. Their only investors are Steven, his husband and us, the players.

Mmos take time, huge mmos like Ashes take even longer. And if we consider the producer blunder Steven did back at the start of development, we get another 1-2 years thrown on top of production. And then you add Covid, and even if they say that they didn't really lose too much time due to it, I'd assume it at least messed up their schedules for content releases (even more than it already was).
  • Honest question, are you new to gaming, or just treying to troll? MMOs always take a lot of time and money to create.

New World, an MMO created by Amazon a company with literally unlimited funding, took 6years to make, and was really quite terrible as far as quality and quanity of the content that was available.

Elder Scrolls online toom 7 years before releasing. It's release was so bad and pre-mature it required another 2 years and a complete rework of every system from the ground up to prevent it shutting down. That cost Bethesda $200 million.

SWTOR took $250 million and 800(!) staff 8 years to create.

Heck older non-MMO games like Diablo 3 and Prey took 11 years.

All I'm saying is we need to realistic. The MMO genre is arguably the most diffuclt genre in gaming to be successful in. Hence why so many crowdfunded/published games have failed.

It won't be another 10+ years before release like you say, but could it be another 3 or so before full release? Probably.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    Bwhahahahaha! Good one. 🤣
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • JanaosJanaos Member
    I mean I get what you mean but I wouldn’t worry much, rn if you have a look at their twitter or something it’s constant “we are hiring” ya know so it’s not like they’re not doing anything
  • AidanKDAidanKD Member
    The millions they got from Kickstarter are a fairly small amount (5m~?) compared to the 40+ they have self-funded. I exercise a healthy amount of cynicism in saying that they definitely considered the kickstarter as a bumper to their funding, and of course they have the alpha packages as well. But at the same time I feel that funding wise they have what they need to reach launch.

And to reiterate what others have said:

- They are very actively recruiting. Not all staff members are on linked in, however alot of them are and you can see that number grow each month. In the past month I definitely saw 2 new people on Linked In and it's possible they've taken more.

- MMOs are very much expensive, and they just take time. If an MMO was pushed out in 4-5 years you would have to question the amount of content and world building they really put out. There are only a handful of truly successful MMOs on the market and some of them only hit it off post-release.

Following a game of this magnitude at such an early stage is torturous for sure as you want it to be out - but we have to temper our expectations, be impartial, critical where able and just enjoy the ride.

People think they will be too old to play this game by the time it comes out. Gamers have no age limit, plenty of older gamers up to their 80s+! So unless you are of that age and literally worried you might die before the game comes out, then you should well be fine!
  • CawwCaww Member
    Final release will be years away but many of us will be enjoying the Alpha2 persistent and count that towards worthwhile gaming.
  • A persistent Alpha is on the horizon, I make the case for this time next year the persistent alpha begins, I think realistically we may be 3 years out from release, however I think with an Alpha, even with all its problems and resets your needs will be satisfied. It is definitely easy to get frustrated, joining the development phase so early is most definitely tortuous but that Alpha is coming and probably summer next year.
  • BalanzBalanz Member
    Does anyone know whether Alpha 2 will be a single server?

I suspect that there are several significant issues that will only become apparent with multiple servers developing separately.

At $75 Pledge for Beta 2, and $150 Pledge for Beta 1, the available player base would be many times larger, and be a more realistic test.

Ashes is extremely dynamic. I don't think it's necessarily safe to conclude that the evolution of a single server will apply to multiple servers.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Alpha 2 will be multiple servers.
  • MybroViajeroMybroViajero Member
    edited May 2022
    10 months ago : Why the current MMOs don't care about creating something good, innovative, detailed, that cares about doing things right.
    Why multi-billion dollar companies invest millions in MMOs that are always the same.

Actuality : Why does Intrepid take the time to hire more developers to do their job well, why does Steven take so long to look for the right person to be the design lead, why does Intrepid take the time to do things right?
    Why should an Indi development studio have to work hard, be patient and build a solid foundation for the healthy growth of their MMO, when multi-billion dollar MMO companies do NOT do that?

Ironic, right?
    EDym4eg.png
  • TyrionXTyrionX Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Hopefully something persistent comes our way soon.