Carry weight is WRONG! Read me 1st and see what do I mean!

AcijAcij Member
edited July 2022 in General Discussion
Take this scenario:
1st scenario(in game) - 2 players have a race. 1st player have 5% inventory fill and 2nd have 90% and yet both of them run same speed. How is that possible?
2nd scenario (real life) - 2 men have a race. 1st men carry only bottle of water while 2nd men carry 2l of bottle and whole turkey in his backpack. Of course 1st men will win and 2nd will lose!

Practically every game work on 1st scenario and I see this as big problem.
While 2nd scenario should work in game too. That could make every game more balanced in certain situations.
I believe they should do something about that. (at least me).
They could make it like each item weight or spot taken in player inventory should affect % of speed(movment speed,attack speed,...).

Drop a comment what you think???

Comments

• DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2022
    Does Ashes have carry weight?

Constantly managing weight is work - not fun.
    Most MMORPGs have a weight limit that will slow you to walk and then "crawl" at some point.
    So...they actually do the 1st scenario, it's just not as incremental as it would be in real life because Ashes is a game.
    In real life, we have to stop what we're doing to poop and pee, too. MMORPGs don't include that, either.
  • Verra has different laws of physics as it does not exist on earth and because it is fictional.

Law: Weight only has significance to the bag or caravan and not the person carrying or pushing it.
    "Suffer in silence"
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Acij wrote: »
    They could make it like each item weight or spot taken in player inventory should affect % of speed(movment speed,attack speed,...).
    My thoughts are...

No.

MMORPG's are not life simulators, as Dygz pointed out.

Systems in games are there to do one of two things - be fun, or provide balance.

Inventory space is there to perform the second of these.

As such, it doesn't really matter if they use weight or slots, both require a modicum of effort from the player, and nothing more. It is something that players should have to not put any more effort or thought in to than that.
  • SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2022
    I strongly prefer the "slots" balance method to the "weight" one. The added realism isn't useful, and is more often frustrating. I like being able to see at a glance why my inventory is full. If there's ever a need to limit "weight" in some particular cases, it can be done with item stacking limits, where such things I can't be allowed to carry many of for whatever reason simply consume more slots.
  • NishUKNishUK Member
    Carry weight pros:

- helps "recycle" players in and out of spots to ease grind/resource collecting congestion
    - adds another layer of skill + gear adds ( "I have + 500lbs more weight so I can stay longer, this is a rare and helpful add that I'm happy with!").
    - provides an additional enjoyment and work towards factor with mounts and carriers (and improving their quality!).

Carry weight cons:

- A disadvantage to casual playerbase who haven't got as much time to be going back and for, generally a ping pong game back and for town is generally favoring no life/hardcore players, they earn more money and it's crap.
    - A portion of the playerbase always hates weight/repair because they suffer from a potential number of things or simply don't take a character as a proud extension of themselves (only interested in the gameplay aspect).

Basically, if there's no "maid anywhere" service that offers storage wherever you are, I would generally be in favor of the casual/average player not getting crippled further.
  • DolyemDolyem Member
    edited July 2022
    Interesting idea, but honestly it would be irritating for everyone involved if you gradually got slower every time you picked something up. Not a fun mechanic at all for something as simple as movement.

If something like this were to be implemented, it would need to go something more like 25% or even 33% increments of inventory space for penalties, not every single item you pick up. It would be less of an irritation at that point and even then I would still think the movement penalty would have to be minimal, say -5% at each until finally becoming encumbered once going beyond your inventory capacity provided. And that would only be a sort of realism flavor added to the game, I don't actually believe it is necessary to add this hinderance at all, especially when there are other much more important systems being worked on.

The only benefit I can see from having a system like this is to slow down the flow of resources in a game, which very well can be a problem but we have no idea if that will be an issue in this game at all. Otherwise this is basically an unimportant system that not many people are asking for when there are more simple solutions that work and allow for more fun.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    I hate carry weight, but I can totally see Ashes going this direction (in addition to slots) to necessitate mounts/mules and caravans.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Inventory

Personal inventory limits[2][3] are tied to a backpack.[4] Material and gatherable items are subject to quantity rather than weight limits. Caravans and Mules are intended to be the primary mode of transportation of goods beyond these limits.[5][6]
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Cat QuiverCat Quiver Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2022
    Acij wrote: »
    Practically every game work on 1st scenario and I see this as big problem
    Drop a comment what you think???

8mel2ttnm8i4.gif
  • As inventory already works on slots I can't see weight being a factor that's introduced.
    I'm generally against it in games as it results in:
    - Penalties to wearing heavy armour.
    - A required stat sink into strength in order to increase capacity.

In a PvP environment it's also incredibly dangerous as it makes gatherers easy targets for combatants. This can be because of either:
    - Gatherer has less combat gear equipped to carry more resources.
    - Gatherer is slower and can't unrun the combatant.

As Steven stated their worries in the latest stream for speed penalties to using heavy weapons I feel that this would fall into that same category.
  • edited July 2022
    I don't hate weight mechanics for inventory and character interactions as others previously mentioned in the thread. Since they're going with special means of transportation and inventory management, it is not necessary for maintaining a balance for player muling etc as we don't know the full extent of how much you can carry of each item yet based on slot usage and stack limitations.

It's heavily implied that resource muling on character and accounts is probably not going to be much of a thing. I honestly believe they wont allow players to carry excessive amounts of items on their persons regardless of inventory type.