Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Camping system

hi!
Im new on this forum :)
Do you think there will be a camping system (like in black dessert) in the new game, or will they just stay with housing?

Comments

• Options
    Ace1234Ace1234 Member
    edited September 2022
    Hi welcome.

Im not sure if thats planned, theres so much info between the wiki and the forums its hard to keep it all straight.

That sounds like a really cool idea though, to think about having the risk of camping out during the night in an open pvp world.

Outside of the role play element and from more of a gameplay persepctive, there would have to be some benefit or payoff to it, in order to make it worth the risk, compared to just continuously traveling between your desitnations which you are currently able to do as an alternative.

Off the top of my head I can't think of really any major drawbacks in continous travel that would make it worth setting up a campsite if that were added as a mechanic- so it would need some kind of additional buff added to it, unless someone can think of a reason to stay stationary for long periods of time and add camp site assets to the game.

Maybe they can make "sleep" do something, or give added effects the food that is cooked or other products that are made within a camp site, which would be neat. This could then incentivize an immersive way of "preparing" for what waits for you at your destination, if you choose to take the risk of setting up camp.
  • Options
    Okay checking the wiki. Its not guaranteed but campsites are a thing;

“There will be a portable campsite mechanic in Ashes of Creation.[2]

Campsites operate in a similar way to Inns and Taverns.[2]
    Eating within range of a campsite grants benefits to the player.[2]”
  • Options
    Fomle wrote: »
    hi!
    Im new on this forum :)
    Do you think there will be a camping system (like in black dessert) in the new game, or will they just stay with housing?

Thank you for asking this question - I SPECIFICALLY came to find this out..
  • Options
    If nights are made dark enough (hopefully), one could certainly see a campfire mechanic work – like, for example:

1. Giving buffs for eating (as per wiki)
    2. Acting as a low-level cooking/alchemy station (kill a boar > make a soup, as god intended)
    3. Warding away low-level monsters (don't interrupt our campfire RP session, you darn wolf)

That kind of silly, but low-key useful stuff – Black Desert overdid it a bit, to be honest.
  • Options
    If there is a camping system added please please please make it like old SWG camping system. Maybe with added buffs or cooking stations... whatever other systems make sense for the game. It was amazing for meeting groups, RPers, just hanging out.

IMO solo camp sites = boring litter all over the world when people don't bother to pick up their sites.
  • Options
    @Kreinster
    Do you like the idea of Exhaustion or Hunger and food removing it?
  • Options
    @Kreinster
    Do you like the idea of Exhaustion or Hunger and food removing it?
    Definitely not.

Rather, food could give a long term buff that the player would then eventually come to consider their 'default' state to be kept up when possible (like FFXIV, where eating food gives a nice buff to stats and EXP gain for 30 minutes, so you'd want to always have something to snack on), and fire could give 'warmth' buff – HP regen or slight move speed increase for some minutes, I am not sure.

But survival mechanics that penalize not engaging in rote actions? Nope, not for this game.
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2022
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Food_and_drink
    Ashes of Creation is not a survival game. Characters will not need to eat food to stay alive.[2]
    https://youtu.be/KCr9yh2Y97I?t=15m19s

Sure, things could change... But people here are not on this forum, are not supporters for a "survival game" ... which is a totally different system and global design that what they currently support
  • Options
    SapiverenusSapiverenus Member
    edited September 2022
    Well that refers to death not a debuff from lack of food.

@Kreinster
    What if you only needed to eat every 1 - 8 hours depending on activity level; with Fighters and Tanks benefiting more from extra food to help them recover and perhaps gain more XP for Physical progression like Strength gain, Constitution gain?

Or there existing herbs and thus potions that help with things like recovery, attribute gain, skill gain even, microscopically reduced stagger. . . something like 1 - 10%? Let's assume the values are under 10%.
  • Options
    SapiverenusSapiverenus Member
    edited September 2022
    Kreinster wrote:
    But survival mechanics that penalize not engaging in rote actions? Nope, not for this game.
    Every mmo is rote actions I dont' want to do lmao. I just want a more alive kind of game.