Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Crafting System

I've been thinking of something for a while. Would it be possible to have two methods for crafting. One-Click Craft and a mini-game crafting system where it depends on the skill of the crafter to get a little more of a stat boost?

As someone who wants to focus on crafting in this game, I don't want to go through the system that just uses one click to craft, but I also understand there are some people, who are completionists, but there are people who want to focus mostly on crafting. Combat seems to have their own requirement in skill, and I'd love to see the same with crafting.

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited July 2022
    And as a guild crafter of 6 years, I sure as hell hope there isn't a minigame to increase stats on gear, because it won't be an option for guild crafters - you'll have to craft everything through the minigame to maximize benefit. And when you're crafting hundreds of things a week, it gets not only tiring but tedious to constantly repeat the same minigame.
  • Options
    SmolSmol Member
    NiKr wrote: »
    And as a guild crater of 6 years, I sure as hell hope there isn't a minigame to increase stats on gear, because it won't be an option for guild crafters - you'll have to craft everything through the minigame to maximize benefit. And when you're crafting hundreds of things a week, it gets not only tiring but tedious to constantly repeat the same minigame.

Didn't they say that materials will be rare, so crafting high tier items would take a long time? You can just spam the low tier. I've been in guilds that craft for eons, I hated the GW2 system where you just gathered a bunch of resources and just AFK for a while it is just boring. It's too tedious not doing anything in the game and just ignoring the game.

I want to be in the game, I feel like AFKing in the game while crafting is something crafters don't enjoy.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Smol wrote: »
    Didn't they say that materials will be rare, so crafting high tier items would take a long time? You can just spam the low tier. I've been in guilds that craft for eons, I hated the GW2 system where you just gathered a bunch of resources and just AFK for a while it is just boring. It's too tedious not doing anything in the game and just ignoring the game.
    Even when they're rare, I'm talking about scale. L2 had super rare top lvl gear and it had the same "every material tier matters" idea. So you had to craft a ton of smaller things that you combined into bigger and better things, so that you can then use those in the final craft of the gear piece itself. And if AoC's crafting will be as in-depth and as controllable as they claim they want it to be - that will be such a fucking pain in the ass to craft.

Each and every craftable material will have to be crafted through a minigame in order to maximize its stats that flow upwards (if that'll be the case). And then you have 8 fucking pieces per person, per potential 300 people in a guild. And any semi-smart guild will be pulling all the materials into one crafter, to maximize their crafting lvl and get it to max asap. Which means that you'll be going through literal thousands of crafts on a single character, each of them having a god damn minigame. I definitely do not want that.
    I want to be in the game, I feel like AFKing in the game while crafting is something crafters don't enjoy.
    Different people, different preferences.
  • Options
    Cat QuiverCat Quiver Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2022
    It's too tedious not doing anything in the game and just ignoring the game.
    So you're asking for even more tedium by having something akin to XIV crafting, a game where I'd bet over half the omni crafters have a macro to do everything for them because it's boring as hell.
  • Options
    GoalidGoalid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    And as a guild crafter of 6 years, I sure as hell hope there isn't a minigame to increase stats on gear, because it won't be an option for guild crafters - you'll have to craft everything through the minigame to maximize benefit. And when you're crafting hundreds of things a week, it gets not only tiring but tedious to constantly repeat the same minigame.

What if you had to do a minigame to create a recipe, and then could mass-produce items based on that recipe? I think that would be a great compromise between respecting time, proving a crafter has some skill they've developed and knowledge of the best recipes to make.
    bRVL6TR.png

• Options
    Night WingsNight Wings Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't think you're going to be bored or afking going off the information down below lmao

Time Stamp - 36:12
    https://youtu.be/u8ne-4Xl3Rw?t=2172

I think Star Wars Galaxies had a great crafting system... The resource gathering and the crafting system altogether as a whole really was I think way beyond its time. That's kind of the direction we want to go, where there's choices to be made in the crafting system and those choices change what you end up with... It's not just about doing X recipe to get Y item. You know, there's actually thought involved in it and there is you know a market to be captured based on those decisions.[24] – Jeffrey Bard

Star Wars Galaxies Crafting system
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KecQpi_0VQ0

all information gathered in post is found in this link down below
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Crafting

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Goalid wrote: »
    What if you had to do a minigame to create a recipe, and then could mass-produce items based on that recipe? I think that would be a great compromise between respecting time, proving a crafter has some skill they've developed and knowledge of the best recipes to make.
    Yeah, smth like this could work. Even "craft several things at once through a minigame" could work, though I think that might bring up its own design issues. As long as it's not "spend 5+ secs per craft" I'd personally be fine. I could maybe see a "skill check" quest pop up from time to time, where you have some particular activities testing your crafting skill.
  • Options
    ForgottenWolfForgottenWolf Member
    edited September 2022
    As someone who has spent years doing crafting not just in games but also irl, I am looking forward to this game and the potential it has with crafting. That being said I believe having two systems is very beneficial. One auto click with just a timer that has base percentages for the items rarity and stats and a second that requires skill and time put into getting good at the "mini games" in order to increase chances or rarity.

As far as I'm hearing y'all want to simplify a system of the game that literally determines the game state? Crafting is not a basic idea and has been dumbed down over years of gaming because of reasons such as, "Its a game so I shouldn't have to focus on this so much". They have months to years of man power put into making the swings of different weapons and weights feel fluid and realistic. If you only want to craft to get gear and not because you want to enjoy a well made system just focus on the combat and let someone else craft the gear for you. This game will have an entire community that will practice and spend time to make items if the system is made well.

I very much understand that it can become repetitive and that its a game but in combat if you are half a second late on a block or dodge you die. Shouldn't a system that is build on thousands of years of irl learning and blood sweat and tears be taken a bit more seriously instead of written off? As for a minigame for the recipe its a good idea but as a craftsman I can for sure say nothing is ever made the exact same every time so that system would not only hurt crafting but also the economy. For example if one person got lucky and first time made a perfect recipe and could from that point on make an item of high rarity every time, that would make all other crafters for that item be useless and the economic effect of a flood of that high item would be extreme.

Put simply you can't make a system like crafting smaller if everything else in the game is so large without unbalancing something or losing players. Having a flat scale on items auto crafted and then a increasing chance for items made manually is the right way to go. And for the ones who said its not fair that people who spend time and effort making items get benefits stand still in combat and do nothing and tell me if you win.

I can help with a crafting system if the ramblings of a craftsman interests the team but for now I'll let this comment sit and see what happens.
  • Options
    I'm hoping it's a game of its own. If Osu! and Tetris can be a game then crafting can be a game.
  • Options
    A year or two ago I posted the idea of a system that ...

1. Have a crafting minigame for tweaking / configuring / improving learnt receipes.
    2. Oneclick-crafts items using receipes created in 1.

That way you get the benefits that a crafting minigame supposedly can provide (using player knowledge, player time / effort, character skills, extra items etc. to gain improved item quality) without making mass-production of items tedious.

Not sure if the devs ever picked up on that idea.
  • Options
    WarthWarth Member
    edited September 2022
    @NiKr

Minigame is fine, but
    You should have the ability to skip the minigame while retaining full benefits for all goods that are below your current rank.

Aka a Master Crafter would only have to do it for master-crafts. Everything below can be skipped.

A professional crafter would only have to do it for professional-level-crafts. Everything below can be skipped.

A intermediate crafter would only have to do it for intermediate-crafts. Everything below can be skipped.

Or like @Voidwalkers said.
    You configure the recipe once through the minigame, then you can safe the configuration. (Similar to how potioncraft does it)
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »
    Minigame is fine, but
    You should have the ability to skip the minigame while retaining full benefits for all goods that are below your current rank.

Aka a Master Crafter would only have to do it for master-crafts. Everything below can be skipped.

A professional crafter would only have to do it for professional-level-crafts. Everything below can be skipped.

A intermediate crafter would only have to do it for intermediate-crafts. Everything below can be skipped.
    I guess that wouldn't be too bad.
  • Options
    Or. . . crafting is its own game and if you don't like that game then you can leave it to others to play it and enjoy it.
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Warth wrote: »
    Minigame is fine, but

I guess that wouldn't be too bad.

Its actually a lot of fun in systems like SWG. That game has you creating blueprints and then mass producing, but its the same idea.

Im fine with small stat differences in items based on crafting ability and materials. It rewards crafters for their efforts.