Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Another area perma flagged for PVP?

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited November 2022
    @Dyze "UO was too PvP-centric for me. I refused to play UO."

About this, I was on of those players in UO who people are still crying about 25 years later.

I used the skill pickpocket on people at the banks, not for stealing... but for adding bombs in their bags and turning them into living bombs. It was like a terrorist attack, people exploding and killing all around them and I laughing and looting everybody and adding their items in my bank.

Then I used to take their house's keys and teleport to their house using their rune, then I would steall all their belongings they farmed for months. I used to make alts and make the alt live inside their home so I could randomly take a good item a day.

I camped the noobie cemetaries and used to cast gate travels and bring the bigges dragons in the game to the newbie area just to see them die and loot them all.

I used to steal all the gold from all the NPCs around town.

I used to visit miners and kill all, kill all afk miners... used to cast stomewant at cave's exist to prevent people from escaping and them sumon spirits inside the gate and watch them die.

I backstabbed every player I could in UO, anyone who wasnt my friend was my enemy.

I broke in and cleaned every possible house from neighbours and then I said it wasn't me..

I used to gate travel people into dragon nests just to laugh at them dying to dragons.

I used to cast stonewalls on moon gates and prevent people from travelling so I could kill them.

I poisoned every possible unit of food just to make other people sick.

I quartered my bodies everytime and I used to hid all my body parts so people couldn't find my crimes.

I used to fake messages ingame so people would think I was attacking them, if they hit me I could call the guards and see them die so I could loot them.

I used to make alts and place them into clearings in the woods for the future, if in the future someone placed a house there I was already inside, throwing the guy's possessions through the window so I could pick it up with my main

I stole every possible loot I could for everybody I could

I also scammed people by selling shares of my property, wanna 50% of this? If you pay me 30k it's yours... then sell 50% of it to 10 people in a row
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited November 2022
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »

About this, I was on of those players in UO who people are still crying about 25 years later.

I used the skill pickpocket on people at the banks, not for stealing... but for adding bombs in their bags and turning them into living bombs. It was like a terrorist attack, people exploding and killing all around them and I laughing and looting everybody and adding their items in my bank.

Then I used to take their house's keys and teleport to their house using their rune, then I would steall all their belongings they farmed for months. I used to make alts and make the alt live inside their home so I could randomly take a good item a day.

I camped the noobie cemetaries and used to cast gate travels and bring the bigges dragons in the game to the newbie area just to see them die and loot them all.

I used to visit miners and kill all, kill all afk miners... used to cast stomewant at cave's exist to prevent people from escaping and them sumon spirits inside the gate and watch them die.

I backstabbed every player I could in UO, anyone who wasnt my friend was my enemy.

I broke in and cleaned every possible house from neighbours and then I said it wasn't me..

I used to gate travel people into dragon nests just to laugh at them dying to dragons.

I used to cast stonewalls on moon gates and prevent people from travelling so I could kill them.

I quartered my bodies everytime and I used to hid all my body parts so people couldn't find my crimes.

I used to fake messages ingame so people would think I was attacking them, if they hit me I could call the guards and see them die so I could loot them.

I used to make alts and place them into clearings in the woods for the future, if in the future someone placed a house there I was already inside, throwing the guy's possessions through the window so I could pick it up with my main

I also scammed people by selling shares of my property, wanna 50% of this? If you pay me 30k it's yours... then sell 50% of it to 10 people in a row

In other words, you're the kind of player that forces developers to remove many aspects of games that would be great, if not for people doing exactly the above.

Literally you are the reason the rest of us cant have nice things.

Not only that, but you seem proud of this fact.

If you are the target audience of any MMO, that MMO will have a lifespan of either months or weeks.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »

In other words, you're the kind of player that forces developers to remove many aspects of games that would be great, if not for people doing exactly the above.

Literally you are the reason the rest of us cant have nice things.

Not only that, but you seem proud of this fact.

If you are the target audience of any MMO, that MMO will have a lifespan of either months or weeks.

At the very least that means I can hunt someone down if they are on my server. Can't agree more with your take.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited November 2022
    I was on of those players in UO who people are still crying about 25 years later.
    Cool! Glad you had fun.
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

ROFLMAO. You fkn psychopath, what a legend.

I did almost none of that in UO. I started out anti pk, then went pk later on, very successful with both, huge bodycounts. Had a very prolific thieving career, went all out with that for awhile, some of the most fun I've ever had in a game. I could spend entire days at Chaos Shrine just killing people with their own bows or reagents I stole from their inventory.

But I just played very vanilla. The most fucked up thing I did really was infiltrate an enemy guild and then let my guild into their keep to loot it.

But none of this shit you just listed off haha. And yes that style of play is probably what led to that game taking a full carebear turn.

I do remember seeing on my server a few times a guy gating in a dragon somewhere and bodies just start dropping lol. Oh my god such epic times.
  • Options
    Okeydoke wrote: »
    And yes that style of play is probably what led to that game taking a full carebear turn.

There is no "probably" about it.

It is people like this that cause developers to consider "what is the worst thing that the lowest form of human being would do with the tools we have given them" and then remove the ability for those people to be able to do anything that would see an average player consider leaving a game.

It is players like the above that have led developers to develop mechanics such as instancing. That wasn't developed because of carebears, as the above poster may like to claim, it was developed so people could actually play the game the way the developer intended, without interference from dicks.
  • Options
    And yes that style of play is probably what led to that game taking a full carebear turn.

There is no "probably" about it.

Yeah, more like definitely lol. That was back in the day, 25 years ago, not only were mmos new, video games were pretty new. It was the wild west. UO was filled with massive exploits and bugs. Like mobs should not be gateable, straight up haha. That's a problem that is fixed in most modern games.

And that's the job of devs to prevent some of these types of things from happening and shape the game how they want it. Devs have the experience and knowledge now. Back in UO they were just spitballing. It was essentially the alpha test period of mmos and to some extent gaming itself.
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited November 2022
    ROFLMAO. You fkn psychopath, what a legend.

I did almost none of that in UO. I started out anti pk, then went pk later on, very successful with both, huge bodycounts. Had a very prolific thieving career, went all out with that for awhile, some of the most fun I've ever had in a game. I could spend entire days at Chaos Shrine just killing people with their own bows or reagents I stole from their inventory.

But I just played very vanilla. The most fucked up thing I did really was infiltrate an enemy guild and then let my guild into their keep to loot it.

But none of this shit you just listed off haha. And yes that style of play is probably what led to that game taking a full carebear turn.

I do remember seeing on my server a few times a guy gating in a dragon somewhere and bodies just start dropping lol. Oh my god such epic times.

Oh yes!

Also, every time there was any problem in the guards system i gated dragons to Britain's bank and I used a naked alt running around looting everybody

Once I stole a guys key, entered his house, then he showed up naked in front of his house and saw me inside...
    I paralyzed him over and over and made him watch me stealing all his things while he was having a meltdown

I did many unique things in UO

UO still the best damn game ever made, even tough I was banned from almost all shards I played, I never cheated tough... I was banned because my behaviour (I exploited a lot of bugs tough, but was never caught)

The people who says "i like pvp" and then ban me for pvping them, are in fact carebears pretending to be pvpers. I just played the game
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Strevi wrote: »
    you are highly sensitive when somebody attacks you in game and kills you
    No. I am highly sensitive to being flagged for PvP when I'm not in the mood for PvP.
    And I am highly sensitive to being pushed into non-consensual PvP when I am not in the mood for PvP.
    If I am in the mood for PvP and I make the choice to participate in PvP, rather than some other player making the choice for me, I don't care if another player kills me.
    Typically, when I PvP, I let players kill me as much as they wish, while I focus on completing other objectives - like capturing flags.
    But, if I am out exploring, socializing or gathering... which is what I do most of the time... I don't want some other player deciding for me that I must PvP. And, if they do, the penalty for that needs to be Corruption. If there is an area in the game to explore and gather where Corruption is not a penalty for non-consensual PvP - I won't play that game. Even if the area is only 10% of the game.

Although i do enjoy PvP, i feel what some mean when they say they do not want to do combat online at all, especially dealing with the angry/angsty crowd that PvP sometimes attracts.

I can walk outside if i want to know what it feels like to be in danger of being robbed, injured, or killed -- and i live a relatively safe life compared to the rest of the planet. As former military there are times when i simply do not want to feel it or to be reminded.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    The people who says "i like pvp" and then ban me for pvping them, are in fact carebears pretending to be pvpers. I just played the game

Well if you're doing it legit yeah. Stealing someone's house key in UO and looting their house was legit. Then the house looting bug came where you could just bug yourself into people's houses. That's when I quit.

But like, logging off an alt in the world for the purposes of logging back in to someone's house after you've noticed they built where you logged off...that's rough man. Kind of exploiting. I mean it's the fault of the devs that it was even like that. Easy fixes.

I mean a lot of what you listed off isn't that big of a deal, and feel well within the rules. It's just the sum total of it all and then the bugs and exploits.

The funny thing is there was no reason to steal or loot anything from anyone. You could just dupe anything you wanted lol. But man that game was so much fun for awhile there.

Britain bank was just non stop luls, debauchery and degeneracy. lol
  • Options
    I just played the game
    No, you ruined the game.

You did things in the game that you knew others would hate, and you derived pleasure from that (my money is on you playing UO one handed). That isnt how the game was intended to be played. It isnt how any game is intended to be played - even if some games have it as a possibility.

As a general rule, if your actions cause people to not want to play a game, either you will be removed from that game, or that game will close down.

Which if these two do you think game developers would prefer to do?
  • Options
    Abarat wrote: »
    Dygz wrote: »
    For the most part, I can explore the areas I want to explore without being concerned much about AI.
    Eventually, I should be able to make it through any dungeon I wish to explore... if it's just AI.

If players can successfully get to the end of ANY dungeon in AoC solo using stealth and avoiding combat the entire time... I will rage quit.

I'm definitely going to try to break this stuff in Alpha/Beta. It was great fun to stealth over to the opposing side of Darkness Falls (a pvp dungeon) in Dark Age of Camelot, and slaughter grays.
  • Options
    CzerisCzeris Member
    edited November 2022
    Depraved wrote: »
    NiKr wrote: »
    If you are going to give a hypothetical, give one that is at least reasonable, ideally even plausible
    Here's an example of what he's saying directly from L2. There's a BiS set for mages. Its pieces can drop from a few bosses (with a good chunk of those being epic ones that have 2-7 day respawns, and all others having 24+-3h ones) and they can also be crafted. You need mats and recipes to craft them. And while mats have a few locations that you can farm, recipes come from literally 1 kind of a mob (it's 3 mobs but they come as a group and have a shared respawn). And the chance to drop the recipe is abysmal
    0yaj9pek3bht.png

This group of mobs has 3 spawn location in the entire game. Literally every mage on the server would be trying to get this recipe for themselves.

And there's several examples for this kind of interaction. Bosses are controlled by bigger guilds or have fucked up respawn times and mobs are so sought after that you'd have to fight dozens of players to even get a chance to get the loot from the mob, let alone dropping the recipe itself.

You'll obviously just call this bad design, but that's a real example of what Depraved was talking about.

and then you kill so many punishments that you level up and the mobs are blue now and wont drop anything ahhaha :'(

but guess what? you can go farm majestic and trade the recipe for the dc gloves and some gold, promoting player interaction. farming somethign else and trading promotes player interaction and commerce, but most people dont get that since they play the "solo" mmorpg type of game

This is how Eve worked with territory control and the (few) in demand resources that were linked with geographic area. If you lived in Caldari space there was no way you could farm Angels blueprints, so you just farmed what you could and bought what you needed from the market, that had been farmed by other people in other territories. They also designed the system so that the blueprints you could farm were the least useful in the territory you farmed them in. They also designed the Wormhole system as a way for soloers or small groups to quickly travel to far distant areas, randomly and for a limited time. Albion Online mirrored this system and it sounds like AoC is as well with the Underrealm.

This system actually works really well, and the interaction it provides between rivals is a key part of what makes the game fun. Some people just play as traders, or Market PvPers.
  • Options

Well if you're doing it legit yeah. Stealing someone's house key in UO and looting their house was legit. Then the house looting bug came where you could just bug yourself into people's houses. That's when I quit.

But like, logging off an alt in the world for the purposes of logging back in to someone's house after you've noticed they built where you logged off...that's rough man. Kind of exploiting. I mean it's the fault of the devs that it was even like that. Easy fixes.

I mean a lot of what you listed off isn't that big of a deal, and feel well within the rules. It's just the sum total of it all and then the bugs and exploits.

The funny thing is there was no reason to steal or loot anything from anyone. You could just dupe anything you wanted lol. But man that game was so much fun for awhile there.

Britain bank was just non stop luls, debauchery and degeneracy. lol

Yeap, Britain's bank is closer to a WWE match than a bank
  • Options
    LineagerLineager Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

This is how MMORPG games should be played. Well, except for the bug-abuses :)
  • Options

bruh did u get bullied in school or what? =_=
  • Options
    @Lineager yeap, also the best memories are from games that let us do such things

@Depraved I'm not evil, it's just that when I feel happy then I feel creative, that's all

The happier I am then more murderous I become, I can't explain why
  • Options
    The happier I am then more murderous I become, I can't explain why
    I mean, a quick therapy session and you'll have an answer to this.

You just wont like said answer. You will likely end up on a list.