Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

on vegetation and rendering distance

LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited March 2023 in General Discussion
So, one issue I saw people complaining about before, and I do agree with it, is that the render distance seems to be too small for foliage and shadows, maybe this was done due to performance

m3v5lve55nlo.png

Now with this new unreal engine 5.1 update, I believe this will put that concern to rest! this video explains it nicely

https://youtu.be/FUGqzE6Je5c

I wonder how hard would it be to upgrade for the 5.1 version or how much of a delay that would cause, but it sure seems worth it!
img]
Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui

Comments

• Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited November 2022
    That could be related to LOD, culling and occlusion

I don't think it's a problem, probably this is configuration related for better performance maybe?

Maybe all the LOD levels are not done yet, so it just disapears when it's over there?

Well, it's something related to it
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    That could be related to LOD, culling and occlusion

I don't think it's a problem, probably this is configuration related for better performance maybe?

Maybe all the LOD levels are not done yet, so it just disapears when it's over there?

Well, it's something related to it

From my understanding, that's what UE 5.1 brings to the table, replacing LODs with nanite getting a boost in performance + visual fidelity
    img]
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2022
    Liniker wrote: »
    I wonder how hard would it be to upgrade for the 5.1 version or how much of a delay that would cause, but it sure seems worth it!

It seems like a no-brainer to upgrade because they both gain performance and visual quality at the same time. And it sounds like it's less work too. Although I am sure converting the existing foliage to nanite might take some time? Maybe that's easy too, and the engine has built in conversion tools.

Back when they used UE4 they kept updating as the new versions were released. I am 99.9999% sure they'll keep doing that here as well. Especially for stuff that only makes things better.
  • Options
    Seems like an obvious inclusion and most likely way easier to adapt than the transition the game had from UE4 to UE5.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    Liniker wrote: »
    So, one issue I saw people complaining about before, and I do agree with it, is that the render distance seems to be too small for foliage and shadows, maybe this was done due to performance

m3v5lve55nlo.png

Now with this new unreal engine 5.1 update, I believe this will put that concern to rest! this video explains it nicely

https://youtu.be/FUGqzE6Je5c

It's not hard to update. 5.1 is an improvement to foliage. Nanites use to be just for static objects like rocks and didn't work that great on movable objects like bushes. If they can get the results they want then they just need to remove the other LODs and keep the usable assets. That alone could take a little time just to scrub through everything and make sure you don't miss anything but being well organized, as I'm willing to bet they are, will make it much easier. Then you have to make sure everything is running right, bug fixes, and check many things over and over for optimization.
    This wont be a step backwards. Maybe a little time spent now but if they iron it out now then it will set them up for the future and massive time savings.
    The other thing it improves is the lighting. Should make the world look just a little better. And any clean up you can do for lighting is always a good thing as lighting loves to kill your fps. Think games with a lot of spell effects and a sudden plunge in fps. The lighting improvements could have a bigger impact in performance.

If you haven't tried UE5 and you have any interest in this stuff you should. It's free, easy to get the basics down and with monthly free programs you can make all sorts of strange stuff.
  • Options
    DarkTidesDarkTides Member
    edited November 2022
    Unreal Engine 4 - recommended area for an environments, 22km....

Unreal Engine 5.1 - now 88million km for recommended environments....just a small leap.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    DarkTides wrote: »
    Unreal Engine 4 - recommended area for an environments, 22km....

Unreal Engine 5.1 - now 88million km for recommended environments....just a small leap.

Yeah, that 2.5x increase in size for Ashes seems small in comparison :D
  • Options
    @Vaknar Happy Sunday! Has there been talks internally to upgrade to 5.1? Seems like this would make a huge improvement!
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    BotagarBotagar Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I saw that UE 5.1 vid and knew someone was going to post it here.
    Would love to see dense forests using foliage nanite. Been doing alot of nature walks lately though rain forests and it would be awesome to see an mmo reach similar levels of fidelity.
  • Options
    Yeah this is really exciting. I noticed they mentioned nanite for the landscape coming as well, which hopefully means we don't get those very blurry hillsides in the distance either.

Epic really did a slam-dunk with UE5 in general it seems.
  • Options
    VyrilVyril Member
    edited November 2022
    I was just logging on to make this exact post.

UE5.1 is a game changer for foliage.

Removing some LOD will reduce some time in foliage work.
  • Options
    the Nanites technology also improves the performnce by a lot, also fixes shadows and reflections

For sure AoC could benefit a lot from Unreal 5.1
  • Options
    I was actually pretty excited to see how it works for lighting and partial transparency, and I never thought I would type a sentence like that.
  • Options
    Would be great if AOC get 5.1 UE update somehow.

Let's all vote for such question for next livestreams Q&A
  • Options
    glad everyone is on the same page
    img]
  • Options
    Once everything is turned to nanite, should be amazing
  • Options
    Yeah, this is awesome. With Unreal 5, working on creating a large open world is becoming more of a pleasure than a chore. I'd really like to see/hear more from the environment team in upcoming dev talks, regarding how they are approaching the world, its different biomes, flora and fauna.
  • Options
    Will we hear about this in november livestream?
  • Options
    That would be really great
  • Options
    Even tough I am an Unity programmer, after seeing the Unreal 5.1 I got interested in learning Unreal