Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The "Tank" : a bright invention back in the day I have grown to hate!

Comments

• Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    A PvE MMO is one in which there is no PvP in the open world.

A PvP MMO is one in which there is PvP in the open world.

A PvX MMO is a marketing term.
    I'd say that it's rather that there are no pvp mmos and only pve or pvx ones.

A pvp mmo would have a purely pvp progression, just as a pve one does. But most pvp people dislike unfair matchups, which is why the mmo genre just doesn't fit a purely pvp game and why we got all the session-based pvp games instead of pvp mmos.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited January 2023
    The way I see the base premise of the OP, it is kind of missing a big part of the reason players want to hyper-specalize in MMO's, but is also missing simple facts about mechanics of most games.

In terms of players, when you are in a group, it is most efficient for players (nothing to do with game mechanics) if there is only one player taking damage. One player taking damage means only one player needing to be healed, and only one player having attacks interrupted.

If you are going to nominate one player in a group to take all the damage from mobs, then obviously that players offensive capabilities are less important than their defensive capabilities.

Drop the notion of tanks from game design and players will still find a way to make tanks work (look at GW2 for an example of this).

It is simply a case of a group of hyper-specalized players working together well will always be better and more efficient than a group of the same size, but of more generalized players.

This is literally how a group (or raid) is better and stronger than the sum of its parts.

As others in this thread have suggested, improving the tanks role in Ashes may well be feasible. However, rather than this being replacing threat/hate with a different mechanic, the thing to do would be to refine the system further.

That said, I dont see Ashes doing anything with threat/hatred that at least one other game has done, when you consider all the mechanics that have been associated with it.

What some games do (WoW and L2 are examples of this) is they throw together a basic threat system, and use it for every encounter in the game. A point is hate has a set amount, a point of damage has a set amount and a point of healing has a set amount.

What some other games do though, is they have built in modifiers. Things like armor and weapon choice affecting hate, as well as damage types, buff types and heals. These modifiers though, they are all applied to individual mob types (or individual mobs, in some cases).

What this means is that you may come across a mob type that has a -50% threat gain for anyone wearing plate armor, and another -50% for anyone using a shield. Your board and sword, plate wearing tank is literally going to be unable to generate any hate at all against such mobs.

Perhaps you have a mob that has +100% hate gain from fire damage - your elemental mages are going to have some real trouble with this.

In games like L2 and WoW, where threat/hate mechanics are static, I actually agree that the systems are kind of shit. If the OP framed the post in terms saying their experience in MMO's is limited, and they would like Ashes to not implement tanks in the way the few games they have played did, I'd agree (based on knowing what those games are).

However, the post was more framed as a "my experience is infinite, and tanks suck so Inteepid should do something no one else has done" kind of thing, and as such I disagree entirely.

However, as said above, Intrepid would do well to look past L2 (and its successors) and WoW (and its clones) for basically all combat mechanics.
  • Options
    NishUKNishUK Member
    edited January 2023

If you put "PvX game/mmo" into Google no suggestive games come up.

If you put in "PvE/PvP mmo" you do get suggestions but interestingly...basically the same games displayed.

The further labelling of mmo's are almost irrelevant for an audience that is a complete stranger to them and furthermore it is fact that almost every mmorpg contains at least a good level of PvE/grind content but it's merely getting picky with the schematics IE "this game contains bullies, how dare you! (allowed pvp)" "This game likely has addicted hoarders (PvE chuggers)", If someone wanted to go reeeeally deep and I love going really deep on things, I could argue that there are bullying aspects in the likes of WoW and FF14 and of course there are loot/resource hoarders on more pvp allowed mmo's.

It clearly appears that you like certain specifics to be branded but it only creates sides, which from life experience and the history of the world is chidlish. What would be fair is in ratings ie "Rated 15+, violience, addiction, contains a high level of PvP" and this clearly illustrates to people with that particular distaste that the game is "toxic" but also serves as good parental information down the line because games like League of Legends should not be played by people still in school anyway so fingers crossed for common sense in the future!

I added this tid bit to my thread to simply illustrate how low mmorpg's had gotten since the era before other gaming genres took to the internet, I really don't think it needs explaining more.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »

A pvp mmo would have a purely pvp progression, just as a pve one does. But most pvp people dislike unfair matchups, which is why the mmo genre just doesn't fit a purely pvp game and why we got all the session-based pvp games instead of pvp mmos.
    The problem with this is that a PvP MMO by your definition, wouldn't be an MMO at all.

Quests, mobs, crafting, NPC's, these are fundamentals of an MMO. Take them out, and you have a different genre - a genre that literally no one will ever create.
  • Options
    StreviStrevi Member
    edited January 2023
    Dizz wrote: »
    Strevi wrote: »

I see the tank as the kind of class which enrages the NPC. The NPC would want to attack the other team members but is blinded by the tank's ability to attract the hits. But eventually the NPC can hit other team members too. But as long as the tank takes the hits, the others are safe.
    I see tank as a controller and defender in my fantasy.

Yes, like you said you see tank as the one to enrages opponents and I agree. But what I want to ask or say re-think is “if you think monsters are reasonable smart then how a tank able to enrages a smart monster which knows tank is not the weak point”. On top of that the solution should not invade other class’s identities because tank we talking about is a very fundamental class it should not do what support class can do with tank class only.
    IF we make the NPCs smart, like human players and if we want to retain the protective role of the tank (NishUK said he is not against the holly trinity) then we have to simulate somehow the same mechanic.
    So we have to think how the enemy can break through this modified tank's ability to absorb damage.
    Also if the healer heals too much or if a DD makes too much damage, the tank's ability to protect should fade faster.
    The lore behind this mechanic would be magic and/or mind based.
    I’m good with holly trinity too.
    But if we are seeking if there is any chance can make something better even it’s a tiny thing, I think we should rethink the relationship between monsters and tank and the party behind the tank, just pretend we are the boss monster and ask “why I should kill tank first instead of others?” in stead of thinking from dungeon master/game developer or players perspective is what I want.

update:
    In my fantasy tank build threat mostly by control, secondary is sacrifice self to protect teammate with mobility, other by damage.

My favorite control skill is something similar to Jumper the science fiction action movie in 2008, the thing Samuel Jackson uses on Hayden Christensen makes he can’t teleport. So in my fantasy tank can throw a spear with chain and a spike on chain’s end that can stick in the ground to make monster grounded or further like in Jumper electroshock the monster or something.
    (English is not my first language, sorry about my bad explanation.)

My favorite defend skill is something like Intervene in WOW, no matter it’s an active or passive skill it will increase the damage monster dealing to the tank or say will reduce the tank’s damage reduction then reduce the threat output for a period of time the target tank protecting.

So in my fantasy OT is a common thing, it's just a part/ring in the tanking cycle, healers and DDers have to self aware the output they do and not to burns out tank's defend skills.

I think we should rethink the relationship between monsters and tank
    just pretend we are the boss monster and ask “why I should kill tank first instead of others?”

Why... if you felt rage or love you know both blind men.
    The tank's abilities work the other way around than in this video. :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCIxHuOK6HM

I have no problem with the Tank as a PvE class. The logic behind is ok. I also do not want smarter NPCs because that would cause the traditional PvE tank behavior (of attracting the hits) to fall apart.
    What happens with the tank in PvP then? Is it still useful as a tank?
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    The problem with this is that a PvP MMO by your definition, wouldn't be an MMO at all.

Quests, mobs, crafting, NPC's, these are fundamentals of an MMO. Take them out, and you have a different genre - a genre that literally no one will ever create.
    The game could still have npcs to give quests. There could still be crafting. The quests would just be purely player-directed and crafting could come from rng-based mats given to players on respawn and then used in all kinds of crafting through destruction/reconstruction.

And removing mobs would be the point, if you were making a truly pvp mmo. There's already the closest thing to this. Foxhole is pretty much a pvp mmo with crafting. It's just that the progression is more social than really rpg-like. And crafting, at its core, comes from "pve". There's also no quests or npcs. But if you were to add those things into the game - you'd have yourself a truly pvp mmo with the majority of features that mmorpg players are used to.
  • Options

The game could still have npcs to give quests. There could still be crafting. The quests would just be purely player-directed and crafting could come from rng-based mats given to players on respawn and then used in all kinds of crafting through destruction/reconstruction.

And removing mobs would be the point, if you were making a truly pvp mmo. There's already the closest thing to this. Foxhole is pretty much a pvp mmo with crafting. It's just that the progression is more social than really rpg-like. And crafting, at its core, comes from "pve". There's also no quests or npcs. But if you were to add those things into the game - you'd have yourself a truly pvp mmo with the majority of features that mmorpg players are used to.

The bulk of MMO players (all that I know that have looked at the game, at least) don't consider Foxhole to be an MMO.

An attempt at an MMO where players are the only quest objective is ripe for easy exploiting.

The stretching and contorting of the term "MMO" in order to hold your opinion of PvE, PvP and PvX simply make it not worth holding that opinion. It is far simpler to understand that people talking about PvP MMO's are simply talking about the many, many MMO's in which PvP exists in the open world, and PvE MMO's are simply those in which there is no PvP in the open world.

There is no need to contort anything with this definition, and the only time there is any confusion is when PvP players start getting needlessly stubborn.
  • Options

Unfair matchups lead to losing the fight often. That feels bad for PvE too. That's why NPCs are dumbed down.
    Also that is why there are more PvE players than PvP ones.
    In PvP, the tank should even out the fight against a stronger group.
    Still that would just slow down the fight and only give time to retreat rather than to win, as the tanking abilities are used by both sides, unlike in PvE where the NPCs do not have tanks against the human players.
    In AoC I understand that time to kill is already high, so maybe the tank's influence is not needed like in PvE.
    Then will the tank be a DD? Or a CC?
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    The bulk of MMO players (all that I know that have looked at the game, at least) don't consider Foxhole to be an MMO.

An attempt at an MMO where players are the only quest objective is ripe for easy exploiting.
    Which is why I said that it's the closest thing, instead of saying that it was the thing.
    The stretching and contorting of the term "MMO" in order to hold your opinion of PvE, PvP and PvX simply make it not worth holding that opinion. It is far simpler to understand that people talking about PvP MMO's are simply talking about the many, many MMO's in which PvP exists in the open world, and PvE MMO's are simply those in which there is no PvP in the open world.

There is no need to contort anything with this definition, and the only time there is any confusion is when PvP players start getting needlessly stubborn.
    And to me a "pve" mmo is not an mmo :) If there's no meaningful interaction between players outside of fighting a mob together - I don't see that as an mmo.

But as I've said from the start of this subdiscussion, the "pvp mmo" design pretty much went into the rust/arena battler/foxhole-like games. Though I guess even Rust could be seen as a pvx game, because there's a ton of pve there.

I just find it silly for "pve" mmos to exist comfortably, but pvx mmos not even being considered a sub-genre. A game where 99% of your gameplay is pve is not a fucking pvp mmo. And that's pretty much what L2 was, even for players that sooner or later started only participating in the pvp arena. You still had to spend a shitton of time getting gear through pve if you wanted to succeed in the arena (which is exactly the issue that a lot of pvp players see with any potential "pvp mmos").
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    And to me a "pve" mmo is not an mmo :) If there's no meaningful interaction between players outside of fighting a mob together - I don't see that as an mmo.
    Who said PvE MMO's dont have meaningful interactions between players other than fighting mobs?

The only way this stance can hold true is if you change "meaningful action" to "openly hostile action", in which case you are saying you dont consider an MMO to be an MMO unless it has PvP - a sentiment that is easily proven incorrect (as in - not even a valid opinion to hold).
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited January 2023
    Who said PvE MMO's dont have meaningful interactions between players other than fighting mobs?

The only way this stance can hold true is if you change "meaningful action" to "openly hostile action", in which case you are saying you dont consider an MMO to be an MMO unless it has PvP - a sentiment that is easily proven incorrect (as in - not even a valid opinion to hold).
    A ton of mmos rn let you play as a single player and even if you need a party to clear mobs - you autofind some silent players who might've as well been replaced with npcs with no noticeable changes to your gameplay.

That content then gives you your gear, gives you your progression and usually finishes out the game's story. So, in a way, you can play the game as a single player with a few "npc helpers" along the way.

Of course there's the RP and/or some mingames or smth, but pvx games can have that too, so it's not like only pve mmos can provide that kind of content.

But yes, to me, mmos that don't have you interacting with other players outside of pure cooperation are as bad as a theoretical pure pvp mmo that doesn't let you cooperate at all. If you see that pov as invalid...
    htpwcbcfub8a.gif
  • Options
    NishUKNishUK Member
    edited January 2023
    A game where 99% of your gameplay is pve is not a fucking pvp mmo. And that's pretty much what L2 was, even for players that sooner or later started only participating in the pvp arena. You still had to spend a shitton of time getting gear through pve if you wanted to succeed in the arena (which is exactly the issue that a lot of pvp players see with any potential "pvp mmos".

Fucking too right. Lineage 2 at certain spells couldn't even hold my attention away from Tekken or my horrible League of Legends addiction for too long, like literally why bother with an avatar and mindlessly PvE for so many hours a day for only a fraction of PvP content (which defo needs forced increasing!)....when you can get PvP content on tap via other games!

This shit is off topic though and as I said in 1 reply to @Noaani I added it to my piece to show how low mmo's had gotten beyond the year 2010+. I still can't get over though how some people can be passionately aggressive over PvE content though, like literally every single PvE game in existence no matter how many complex layers are added can be broken down into patterns and often end up comfortable unless the game intentionally adds absurd stats to enemies, essentially creating the "no mistake" scenario for the player.

All this is a perspective, a "mainstream narrative".

Sexy girls, Boy Bands, skimpy clothing, drugs and alcohol, take them out and you no longer have a pop genre. No, things just change and sometimes they change back, it's not straightforward.

You could have any mmo without quests, you could make an mmo focusing heavily on found objective drive via Guild Leaders, mobs and bosses just appear and are only visually causing problems but none of this info is ever highlighted from any NPC and near the "problem area" there can be an NPC saying "shiiiit! help!" or whatever but no quest/reward scheme. When the guild dispatches and eliminates all threats, they get mob loot as usual and then around town they get snippets of "thanks for the help!" and even town/npc growth as a result but no quest!

Outside the box! :smile:
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    A ton of mmos rn let you play as a single player and even if you need a party to clear mobs - you autofind some silent players who might've as well been replaced with npcs with no noticeable changes to your gameplay.

Are you suggesting we should all find the worst example of things we dont like in MMO's and use that to justify our perspective, rather than attempting to find the best example of the thing we are arguing against?

If you say you only consider an MMO to be an MMO if there is meaningful interaction between players, and I then say that many PvE games have this, it is essentially dishonest of you to ignore that and start talking about the games that dont have it. I mean, I literally never said that all PvE MMO's do it.

I'm at the point on these forums where I am just going to call out bad-faith arguments, rather than entertaining them - and this is one such argument.
  • Options
    If you say you only consider an MMO to be an MMK if there is meaningful interaction between players, and I then say that many PvE games have this, it is essentially dishonest of you to ignore that and start talking about the games that dont have it. I mean, I literally never said that all PvE MMO's do it.
    But I'm talking about the current realities of the genre. I'm sure that there's older mmos that did this much better, just as older mmos did pvx stuff much better. But just as I'm not going back to L2 to play a good pvx mmo, I'm not gonna go play EQ2 to experience a proper pve mmo that provides good and meaningful player interaction.

And I'm interested in Ashes exactly because it's going for what I consider to be a good mmo design. A combination of pve and pvp, that pushes people to party up and that then lets them socialize/politicize/whateverize.

If Ashes wasn't going to do that - I wouldn't be here. And if it changes its design goals, I'll probably leave. What drew you into Ashes? The ephemeral promise of top lvl pve in the open world or the hope that they'll change their stance somewhat and will have more instanced bosses that would match your very high standards for them?

And to swerve this as least a bit back to topic, those pve mmos were the biggest reason why the tank are the way they currently are. You suggested to just refine the classic threat system, but that doesn't address the tank's role in the pvp part of the game. Do you think the classic threat system can be somehow fitted to pvp or do you just want it to be a separate thing, just as pve should be separate from pvp for it to be the best self?
  • Options
    NishUK wrote: »
    This shit is off topic though and as I said in 1 reply to Noaani I added it to my piece to show how low mmo's had gotten beyond the year 2010+. I still can't get over though how some people can be passionately aggressive over PvE content though, like literally every single PvE game in existence no matter how many complex layers are added can be broken down into patterns and often end up comfortable unless the game intentionally adds absurd stats to enemies, essentially creating the "no mistake" scenario for the player.
    I agree MMO's have been going down hill since 2010 or so, however, that applies to PvP MMO's. No one has had a serious attempt at a proper AAA PvE MMO in years though, so you cant blame PvE for the state of MMO's today.

As to your comments about PvE content, you are again missing (ignoring) the point.

Yes, most (not all, nust most) PvE content can be broken down.

The thing you are missing is - that is the point. You get a new encounter, you break it down, you work on it for a few weeks (or months - or years), and then you kill it. Then you kill it a few more times for loot, and generally, well before you and your guild are sick of taking on that encounter, you have moved on to the next one.

In a proper PvE game, you dont generally kill encounters more than a handful of times. It isnt like L2 or Archeage where the same content is viable year after year.

Knowing these are the types of games you come from, I actually fully understand why your opinion of PvE is what it is. All I am trying to do is tell you that your opinion of PvE is shaped from games that are not PvE games.

The thing is, a good developer will be ahead of players in terms of encounters. There shouldn't be a period of more than a few weeks between when players kill the hardest mob on the live servers and the next, even harder mob is released. When this happens, it's almost like starting a new game. You have to figure things out again from the start.

Yes, games where an encounter is viable for years on end make PvE content tedious. I fully agree with you on that.

My disagreement with you though isnt based on that. My disagreement with you is based on the simple fact that the above situation is a result of shit developers/development, and players should be pointing to said developers as being at fault rather than pointing to PvE content as a whole as being at fault.

You seem to be perpetually unwilling to accept that your experience in MMO's is not infinite.
  • Options
    But I'm talking about the current realities of the genre.
    Why?
  • Options
    Why?
    Cause we live in the now and not 15 years ago? I dunno. Either way, this is off topic and I'm sure that no matter what I say you won't agree with my pov on this matter, just cause our initial experiences are way too different in this genre. So I'll just say that I lost this argument and move on. And I'd ask you to answer the tank question, cause I'm genuinely curious about your pov on that.
  • Options
    Why?
    Cause we live in the now and not 15 years ago?
    Yes, but everything that exists from back then still exists now. Not necessarily in terms of the games, but in terms of the knowledge, knowing what is good and what doesn't work.

If you want to talk about games since 2010, then the point needs to be made that no one has even attempted a serious PvE MMO since before then.

While some would point to GW2, the simple fact is that it doesn't have the volume of content, nor does ESO.

This is why no one has attempted a PvE MMO in that time - and why UE5 is the first solid hope of a PvE MMO that people have had in well over a decade.
    Do you think the classic threat system can be somehow fitted to pvp or do you just want it to be a separate thing, just as pve should be separate from pvp for it to be the best self?
    I have suggested before, make it so taunts either force or compel targeted players to attack the tank.

Make it a 'magic' effect if you need to (in the same way most CC is). While this will initially see some players complaining that they can't freely target who they want, it won't take long before most players make the conscious decision to target tanks first.

This will see PvP combat reflect PvE combat much more closely than it is now, in terms of structure.
  • Options

Playing with other humans who make mistakes or still learn the local unwritten dungeon habits is more fun than playing with scripted NPC companions...
  • Options
    NishUKNishUK Member
    edited January 2023
    REPLIED in quote
    The way I see the base premise of the OP, it is kind of missing a big part of the reason players want to hyper-specalize in MMO's, but is also missing simple facts about mechanics of most games.

My opinion on PvE and the Tank class needing improvements and more gameplay interaction and ideally from everyone involved should have no bearing to the satisfaction that comes role or class specilization. All classes can be niche and unique and it should be a priority for an mmo for high end specilization of classes to be inaccessible to sub/box play via gear and level so that the users can feel prideful and special in the world. It is a narrative or meta conceived that "Tanks" should be the ultimate PvE control artists and no one else bar them should be able to do it and if someones opinion is so strong as to think along the lines of it being wrong and it takes away their role then all healing methods from Paladins/Bards/Summoners and even hp potions should be removed from the game because it infringes on a Healers role
    - - - - - -
    In terms of players, when you are in a group, it is most efficient for players (nothing to do with game mechanics) if there is only one player taking damage. One player taking damage means only one player needing to be healed, and only one player having attacks interrupted.

If you are going to nominate one player in a group to take all the damage from mobs, then obviously that players offensive capabilities are less important than their defensive capabilities.

Drop the notion of tanks from game design and players will still find a way to make tanks work (look at GW2 for an example of this).

There are many mechanics that can be employed to a game to silence the gameplay choice of one person needing to be the priority target. Healers have group healing, in L2 there was a cool healing skill called Balance Life that would literally balance the entire parties HP totals and Healers could have a "clarity" type of skill that would stop interuptions in some way. Then there's self mechanics for not being interupted or hit but obviously reduced to certain degree's in order to make PvE a group reliant affair.

It is simply a case of a group of hyper-specalized players working together well will always be better and more efficient than a group of the same size, but of more generalized players.
    This is literally how a group (or raid) is better and stronger than the sum of its parts.

Of course because the game system literally forced it into being so. A developer's intent is normally towards accessibility and balance and then appropriate challenges to meet what has been drafted. Between 1998-2003 devs pigeon holed the balance and tactics aspect easily via forcing players to use the Tank class to solo the damage among other things and if you consider that to be forever perfect and forever used design practice as well as a perfect fantasy themed scenerio then I'm baffled as nothing in this world is perfect and do you believe everyones fantasy to be for the entire duration of every fight being guided by a Tank?

As others in this thread have suggested, improving the tanks role in Ashes may well be feasible. However, rather than this being replacing threat/hate with a different mechanic, the thing to do would be to refine the system further.

That said, I dont see Ashes doing anything with threat/hatred that at least one other game has done, when you consider all the mechanics that have been associated with it.

What some games do (WoW and L2 are examples of this) is they throw together a basic threat system, and use it for every encounter in the game. A point is hate has a set amount, a point of damage has a set amount and a point of healing has a set amount.

What some other games do though, is they have built in modifiers. Things like armor and weapon choice affecting hate, as well as damage types, buff types and heals. These modifiers though, they are all applied to individual mob types (or individual mobs, in some cases).

What this means is that you may come across a mob type that has a -50% threat gain for anyone wearing plate armor, and another -50% for anyone using a shield. Your board and sword, plate wearing tank is literally going to be unable to generate any hate at all against such mobs.

Perhaps you have a mob that has +100% hate gain from fire damage - your elemental mages are going to have some real trouble with this.

This is pretty much against gameplay evolution/development. You're basically expanding immensely the rock/paper/scissors aspect to monsters but it's not just 3 factors, probably much much more where you see a particular type of create and it has "resist 90% of dagger damage", can you explain why loads of these potential factors could elevate the gameplay aspect.
    Tank: "I have an axe instead of a sword equipped, so I cannot generate threat" this has nothing to do with gameplay, this is a restriction for interest that is usually present in a game lacking mechanics. This kind of thing also infuriates some players who not only like swords but might be sword specialists. The best practices in order to include such things is to just further increase specializations or to buff, rather than nerf and if nerfing as proved anything over the addictive lifespan I've had with a game like LoL, nobody likes that crap!

In games like L2 and WoW, where threat/hate mechanics are static, I actually agree that the systems are kind of shit. If the OP framed the post in terms saying their experience in MMO's is limited, and they would like Ashes to not implement tanks in the way the few games they have played did, I'd agree (based on knowing what those games are).

However, the post was more framed as a "my experience is infinite, and tanks suck so Inteepid should do something no one else has done" kind of thing, and as such I disagree entirely.

However, as said above, Intrepid would do well to look past L2 (and its successors) and WoW (and its clones) for basically all combat mechanics.

You really need to make a thread on what an insightful and enriched PvE experience involves, I'll say nothing more regarding that

• Options
    Do you think the classic threat system can be somehow fitted to pvp or do you just want it to be a separate thing, just as pve should be separate from pvp for it to be the best self?
    I have suggested before, make it so taunts either force or compel targeted players to attack the tank.

Make it a 'magic' effect if you need to (in the same way most CC is). While this will initially see some players complaining that they can't freely target who they want, it won't take long before most players make the conscious decision to target tanks first.

This will see PvP combat reflect PvE combat much more closely than it is now, in terms of structure.

I was thinking on two mechanics
    1) bunker - would teleport all team members near the tank, including the fallen ones and give them a short time invulnerability time, enough to heal and revive the fallen members
    2) shield vs shield - the tanks would not only protect but would also push back against the shield of the enemy tank.
    They could balance the defence vs push or give the unused energy to dd players in the team. Tanks should be less vulnerable against dd , to encourage each team to focus on the others while the tanks also fight using this shield vs shield mechanic.
  • Options
    @NishUK

I'm having some trouble attempting to follow along with your premise here.

Do you agree or disagree with my statement that the more people are present, the more specialized each person should become?
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    maouw wrote: »
    Azherae wrote: »
    ... If you make mobs go for Clerics, you'll get Clerics in plate armor and the mobs will still be 'dumb'.

... As soon as a game contains 'healing' someone is going to try to maximize their MP/Survivability Ratio, and whatever does that will usually become the new Tank.

Ah! good point - I hadn't thought this far.

@Neurath - just to be clear, I'm not attacking the Tank class fantasy. My intention is purely to stir up ideas for other ways to make Tanks more targettable - how to get other players to play their part in the Tank fantasy of enduring a massive assault. (that's the Tank fantasy, right?)

The 'Tank fantasy' is whatever you want it to be as long as it does the above.

That's why this thread is so weird, though I can't fault the OP for not having experiences.

To me, it just feels really silly.

FFXI made the Ninja class intending for it to be a DPS/Debuffer.

Players looked at the 'shadow clone' ability it has which negates single target attacks and went 'That's a LOT of MP saved, y'know... let's make it a Tank'.

The Devs didn't support this for a while. They fought against it a bit (relatively, because again, anything can Tank if you really want it to, but they basically didn't want it to, so I mean that they fought against 'the community perspective of it being a tank').

AoE abilities destroy all shadow clones and still do full damage. The ability has a long recast. The class has good evasion but couldn't DPS well while built for evasion and also for using the shadows. Square Enix just left it. And players kept going...

"Nope, that's a Tank. Let's start getting these people geared up and work out strats."

So they did. Strats for dealing with 'things that outpace the recast'. For dealing with 'magic and AoE defense'. For 'figuring out how to make sure that the class could save someone else other than by just hitting Provoke'.

The Devs eventually gave in and gave the class an Enmity Boosting stance when in front of enemies, and that's about it. Players just all found their own way, because someone decided "I can see how to use a long recast ability that negates strong single-target damage to maximize MP/Survivability".

The game contained like, one actual Taunt skill for 10 years or so. Everything else is 'affect the enemy so they're actually annoyed because you stopped them from doing something'.

If I'm tanking and I lose the mob, I Provoke (/WAR - I don't actually play this), Flash(/WHM - high level option only), use a DPS Spike option (innate to class), use a big heal on myself or them (usually them, /WHM again), or the other person just switches to their Defensive mode until it's hit them enough for it to be off them.

Most of the rest of this thread is just discussions of 'I think this SHOULD be this way' and 'I never experienced anything OTHER than this way' while I'm over here like 'what are you guys even talking about?'

Some days my Paladin tanks, some days I tank, some days our Monk tanks, sometimes our Summoner Summon-Tanks, sometimes our Dark Knight tanks, and sometimes our Bard tanks. Whoever's abilities will win the MP/Survivability ratio 'contest' in any given moment is the 'best tank', and some days you can just ignore that too because all you want is for the mob to be ineffective at stopping your DPS before it dies.

The very concept of a 'Tank Class' is artificial to me, but simplicity helps, so I'm not willing to crusade against it. Even if the majority of people have the 'Tank Fantasy' of 'being the walking juggernaut totem that shrugs off blades and laughs in the face of explosions', it's up to the game to lean into that. If the game is full of mobs that kill through stacking Bleed damage and your Tank Class doesn't come with Anti-Bleed, whichever class has Anti-Bleed is the Tank.

When the enemy is going to drop massive AoE/conal lightning bolts on you every few seconds, you don't call me, the Paladin, or the Monk.

JustVine summons Ramuh and we work out how to get enough MP to her so that the Summon can Tank.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Do you agree or disagree with my statement that the more people are present, the more specialized each person should become?

That should be down the players tact, whether that be from themselves or beknown or unbeknown to them a developers choice, it's convoluted.

If you're in a 2hr+ epic boss fight, the devs expect you to employ probably a lot more than 1 healer and the Healers would perhaps spec accordingly, one for HP filling and the other more prioritized in conserved mana for MP/Resource healing.

In certain games, perhaps EQ2, similar classes have completely different weaponry and armorment tied and each have their purpose in dealing with certain adds or a certain condition. I am not generally in favor of hardened constrictions within classes themselves, if you are a highly experienced Ranger you are highly experienced Ranger and I don't see the achievement or sense of fulfilling enjoyment from 2 rangers with different main/sub/armor choices performing drastically different things in a game with an already complex world, pve, pvp and skill system. If that game was classless like Ultima Online or Albion that would be a different story.
  • Options
    chris-pratt-velociraptor.gif
    'PrattTheTank' and his ridiculous damage mitigation skills quickly ponders why immediately having logged on rushed into a dungeon without a party.

I've been involved in online games since the 56k modem era and my very first mmo was 'Legend of Mir 2', no such thing as "Tank" coined way back then but you'd be interested to know that many players in the deepest of dungeons used to throw themselves in the corner with high hp Warrior's making up the front line, a kind of movie '300' wall if you'd like.

Following on, for America's past at least, Everquest was the first mmorpg to mainstream "damage mitigation and control" classes but for most people from the UK and Europe "Tanking" was popularised in 'Lineage 2' and then roughly a year later 'World of Warcraft' massively highlighted the mechnical meta of the genre for the western world.

Back then Tank classes role in the ga......

(lots of text)

......adin or a stunning Knight or a selfless Ranger that doesn't let his party down like Legolas (who is MUCH more than a "derp cannon")?

lotr-aragorn.gif
    "...and my shield, 9999 physical defence and HP, my bizarre threat generation magic that never fails...just damage my targets, do nothing else and think about the loot at the end...forget the sword, not important".

I would imagine the Tank role has become more important as NPC AI has become more intricate. Early games that didn't have much in the way of AI targeting didn't need a Tank, but NPCs nowadays have complex targeting routines that demand organisation and tactics. I'm not saying the only tactic is a Tank, but controlling the battlefield goes a long way.

@Wandering Mist - I don't recall any Taunt skills in Guild Wars 1. I remember the Warrior having mainly damage skills with some blocking and high-HP ones thrown in (Defy Pain elite FTW), but I don't remember any "Taunt for X seconds" like they have in other games. If anything, I'd say Guild Wars 1 had no Tanks at all, rather an additional DD profession, which seems like it's what the OP is talking about (TL:DR, so may be completely wrong there :p ). Absolutely loved that game.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    IN PVP a tank should be strong with teammates at his back. Vulnerable when alone.

The reason to kill a tank is that he does enough damage to be annoying and CC everyone. So he's hard to ignore and getting rid of him is rewarding.

When caught out of position he should be quite easy to burn down by 2 or 3 dps, not having high kill potential by himself.

The tank sets up high kill potential for his teammates, spaces up the fight so that the damage trade is in favor of his team. The fine line between absorbing enough damage so that your team has the perfect window, or overstepping and getting focused down fast.

It's all about getting to the limit of your utility and resources as a tank, that's how you make a diference. Not executing targets.

In a front to back fight the tank has 2 options, peel enemies from his teammates or engage on a high priority target setting up a one two punch and a quick kill, giving the enemy as little time to react as possible. The judgement on what to do is what makes a good tank.

As a tank player, a raid boss tank is not fun, because it's just an overpowered character.
  • Options
    NishUKNishUK Member
    edited January 2023
    Playing with other humans who make mistakes or still learn the local unwritten dungeon habits is more fun than playing with scripted NPC companions...

Argueably depending on your own objectives and personal preferences.

I've been leader/co-leader of a few guilds and I love interacting with people and due to the competitive nature of the select mmo's I enjoy the most I'll only have an interaction with those that have met certain conditions that I've deemed "worthy of my audience" although I do not conduct myself in such a high manner at all, to anyone (xD).

I'll even go as far as to highlight past game experiences, even people who haven't played mmo's and I stumbled on a seasoned Path of Exile player, I talked with him in DM's a lot and he was completely new to mmo's, so I discussed everything with him and based off his preferences and gave him the "hardships" info of certain class choices he decided on one and it turned out brilliantly and he played the game better than most, it's the mentality factor that holds back most people and I raised him all the way from a fresh character and gifted him whatever gear and money he needed.

In short, A LOT of people don't have enough passion or a good enough mentality to play with the top 1/3 of an mmorpg and I'd much rather the beginning/mid content be decided more by myself via hiring some NPC's to help with sustain or whatever then be a victim of constantly looking for decent people in mmo games where money is a factor and the highest levels earn more than you.
    OBVIOUSLY to counter the potential "anti-social" aspect from utilizing NPC's over players, a gold sink/xp penalty and possible other crippling factors have to be applied.

@Marcet in an attempt to keep this post on f'ing topic xD

Hard to imagine in a games like L2 or Archeage where high end Tanks have enough passives to laugh off 5+ high end damage dealers and in great agreement that a "raid boss" tank is overpowered and anti pvp interactive, it's 1 person/player and it goes against general PvP fundamentals that make player vs player experiences a treat but for the mmo obviously the group vs group has to be appreciated but still, 1 person.

With the rest of what you said it is a fair personal preference although I argue with "It's all about getting to the limit of your utility and resources as a tank, that's how you make a diference. Not executing targets". Who's...to say that there can't be some agency for a "tank" or "plate armored + shield + weapon" character, I believe you mean damage dealing not prioritized and fair one but I'm not going to tread on anyones fantasy of possibly being Captain America and laying down some specialized pain or have that shield even do a bit of slicing/execute action :D
  • Options
    Sexy girls, ... skimpy clothing, ... take them out and you no longer have a pop genre

the-simpsons-homer-simpson.gif
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited January 2023
    daveywavey wrote: »
    chris-pratt-velociraptor.gif
    'PrattTheTank' and his ridiculous damage mitigation skills quickly ponders why immediately having logged on rushed into a dungeon without a party.

I've been involved in online games since the 56k modem era and my very first mmo was 'Legend of Mir 2', no such thing as "Tank" coined way back then but you'd be interested to know that many players in the deepest of dungeons used to throw themselves in the corner with high hp Warrior's making up the front line, a kind of movie '300' wall if you'd like.

Following on, for America's past at least, Everquest was the first mmorpg to mainstream "damage mitigation and control" classes but for most people from the UK and Europe "Tanking" was popularised in 'Lineage 2' and then roughly a year later 'World of Warcraft' massively highlighted the mechnical meta of the genre for the western world.

Back then Tank classes role in the ga......

(lots of text)

......adin or a stunning Knight or a selfless Ranger that doesn't let his party down like Legolas (who is MUCH more than a "derp cannon")?

lotr-aragorn.gif
    "...and my shield, 9999 physical defence and HP, my bizarre threat generation magic that never fails...just damage my targets, do nothing else and think about the loot at the end...forget the sword, not important".

I would imagine the Tank role has become more important as NPC AI has become more intricate. Early games that didn't have much in the way of AI targeting didn't need a Tank, but NPCs nowadays have complex targeting routines that demand organisation and tactics. I'm not saying the only tactic is a Tank, but controlling the battlefield goes a long way.

@Wandering Mist - I don't recall any Taunt skills in Guild Wars 1. I remember the Warrior having mainly damage skills with some blocking and high-HP ones thrown in (Defy Pain elite FTW), but I don't remember any "Taunt for X seconds" like they have in other games. If anything, I'd say Guild Wars 1 had no Tanks at all, rather an additional DD profession, which seems like it's what the OP is talking about (TL:DR, so may be completely wrong there :p ). Absolutely loved that game.

Correct, there were no taunt skills in GW1, but there were still tanks (I define a tank as a character who has a lot of survivability, designed to get hit a lot). Like I said before, this worked because of body blocking combined with the narrow corridors that were in most levels.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    People can learn to expand their definition of the tank role.

It’s more than an aggro bot that holds the most pathetically basic mobs so someone can press their macro sequence and get those big numbers across the screen.

With that said, advanced AI and players make for interesting tank kits. They don’t need aggro all the time. Sometimes people can get behind the dude with a shield.