Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Why some spell effects in ashes does not fit the enviroment?

Comments

• Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    Neurath wrote: »
    The death star was a sphere...I'm pretty sure everyone was fearful of the death star.

Yes and im sure they had certain reasons for it. But you know the death part of it is very triangle 48cb3uv4wh30.png
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    So you repeated what I said to make your point valid and my point mute?

Semantics aren't good in arguments. Also, vader had a round head on top to my knowledge.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    So you repeated what I said to make your point valid and my point mute?

Semantics aren't good in arguments. Also, vader had a round head on top to my knowledge.

I can do this all day/
    6htau79mbgz6.png

This is done for a reason. Shapes are important for sending a message when people look at characters, scenes, etc. Again you can try and beat around the bush but this is how it works and the industry follows it lol
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    That is my point when i see circles and imagery for that certain skill, and why it doesn't feel as real since something feels off.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    This one is really good, regardless if they did this on purpose or not it works amazing. niiof5jedn6d.png
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    We have a female Goddess of Creation. Not a Sith Lord. Also, you ignore my input and continue on your crusade. The circle is still present in the second image. I still don't understand why a perfect circle for uncontained lightning would exist. Its not even about triangles. I would take a lightning fork for as a warning long before I take a traffic coned cloaked figure.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    We have a female Goddess of Creation. Not a Sith Lord. Also, you ignore my input and continue on your crusade. The circle is still present in the second image. I still don't understand why a perfect circle for uncontained lightning would exist. Its not even about triangles. I would take a lightning fork for as a warning long before I take a traffic coned cloaked figure.

I'm going to keep this simple, the shape of a circle is not intimidating and is distracting. There are rules people follow in designing creative aspects that are universal. This is what artist do to create great looking things and the way something is shaped is important.

A perfect sphere for lightning does not look as realistic and is distracting for a reason related to shapes. If you have a issue with the way artist do things, you are free to prove the artist over many many many years why they are wrong lol.

I look forward to seeing what you design :)
  • Options
    mrmmq96lzj05.png

akjzbf0mz5no.png

vu59pdgf35ww.png

2rd75yphqljp.png

ws5lb9updpvn.png

I could probably find more representations of balls/spheres and the nature of danger, however, I feel the point is made. Just because you have artists who choose masculine shapes and traits does not mean there are artists who don't use feminine shapes and traits.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    mrmmq96lzj05.png

akjzbf0mz5no.png

vu59pdgf35ww.png

2rd75yphqljp.png

ws5lb9updpvn.png

I could probably find more representations of balls/spheres and the nature of danger, however, I feel the point is made. Just because you have artists who choose masculine shapes and traits does not mean there are artists who don't use feminine shapes and traits.

You aren't getting the discussion you have not made any points. I tried to explain it to you as simple as possible and you still don't understand. I don't know why you are bringing up the death star when i just pointed this out to you earlier.

Art doesn't mean you don't use circles every it depends on how you are approaching it and the other shapes in the area. I can keep pointing things out to you but you are being stubborn and won't listen. ch03rpt4kzk5.png

• Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    I don't know why you are posting ryu in street fighter, he isn't a villain
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    4incqxljbmb1.png

tx3zjyxixtme.png

There is a reason why their posture is like this.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    The mage isn't a villain. I'm going by lore of ashes of creation. You asked for artists who have used feminine traits and shapes which I provided. Really, anyone wearing a cloak or tassles has a triangle silhouette. I don't see this as revolutionary, merely mimicking life of old. Much the same as all of my examples of spheres related to danger.

The fireballs were the main point of the magess. Same with street fighter. If you want to discuss clothes and poses further then open a new thread. I'm trying to point out the reasons why lightning needs a container.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    The mage isn't a villain. I'm going by lore of ashes of creation. You asked for artists who have used feminine traits and shapes which I provided. Really, anyone wearing a cloak or tassles has a triangle silhouette. I don't see this as revolutionary, merely mimicking life of old. Much the same as all of my examples of spheres related to danger.

The fireballs were the main point of the magess. Same with street fighter. If you want to discuss clothes and poses further then open a new thread. I'm trying to point out the reasons why lightning needs a container.

When did i say vmage was a villian?

Fire and electricity work differently, you are missing the core point at what I'm getting at with circles and their effect. I said it was too perfect and again make things look not as dangerous. Examples I gave you were to help you understand a little bit of the profession in designing these things art wise.

We can focus on the fireball though in the image you posted since that one is a great example of something that looks good art wise.

krc71yp2ze4p.png

(i do wish i had my wacom on me though settle for mouse drawings for now) You can see that it is not a perfect round fireball. It looks realistic and has some flare to it, though it is in ball form in essence there is still some element of danger viewing it as fire. Over it being a completely round ball that seems more playful or childish. The center is not and it has the wispy bits coming off of it moving organically in how my eyes visualize it..

1ks1qxv8jaw8.png

Now if we look at this image with mario he is very soft with plenty of circles and so is the fire ball. You are losing that edge of danger as the game is designed for children and not suppose to be edgy. And the art style matches that in making everything feel a bit less dangerous in the world and the characters. Wise in certain circumstances elevating it with some characters and map design.

Again this does not mean everything needs to be a circle or a triangle exactly there isn't a hard rule you can push it towards either side based on what you are trying to get across.

Which leads me back to the original point, the ball of lighting lacks a feeling of danger and the contrast makes it seem a bit out of place and not as realistic

• Options
    But you keep making the same points I made. I've told you the spheres is not perfect. Lightning does protrude from the sphere in Ashes...its actually a bug bear of mine because the sphere can either contain the lightning or it can't. Doesn't make sense to have the lightning jutting out of the sphere.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    Don't normally get into this kind of stuff tbh, it is alpha I don't expect most things to have a finished look. In unreal they have different parts to their particle effects in niagara and they could turn the sphere off with one click pretty much and hide it. When they have all these bases it will be easy for them to adjust everything since niagara is modular and honestly an amazing tool for creating these effects.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited May 2023
    But you keep making the same points I made. I've told you the spheres is not perfect. Lightning does protrude from the sphere in Ashes...its actually a bug bear of mine because the sphere can either contain the lightning or it can't. Doesn't make sense to have the lightning jutting out of the sphere.

I've point this point to you, the sphere is perfect, a few tiny parks is not out waying the contrast of the effect. But you are ignoring what I'm saying half the time. My view point would be the same even if the lighting poking out of the sphere was larger simply because of the contrast atm with the perfect sphere around it.

edit* Honestly most positive thing out of this for me is you make me want to start doing more particle effects in unreal again. I'm starting to look at the effect and think the parts they used to make it between niagara and the shader they made for the parts.
  • Options
    Okay cool. I can agree with that. I'm all for options. Hopefully we can modulate the ball of lightning to create the perfect look. I personally want to see the rogue augment for it. A shadow sphere full of shadow lightning should look dope.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    Okay cool. I can agree with that. I'm all for options. Hopefully we can modulate the ball of lightning to create the perfect look. I personally want to see the rogue augment for it. A shadow sphere full of shadow lightning should look dope.

I agree :). It is why I'm excited they are using unreal engine. I know I'm very bias with it but they are going to be able to adjust and change things pretty easily. It is why they talked about how modular things are in the basic attack showcase. I'd expect by the end of the year we are going to be seeing a lot of cool stuff.

The more they make the faster their production will be with usual parts they can pick up and share for class kits.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2023
    Lighting in a sphere has plenty of examples in real life and AoC team pretty much captured it!

Try a quick search for plasma ball, or electrostatic ion sphere.

Would love to see both a lighting (white/blue) and a fire (red/purple) version
  • Options
    SnekkersSnekkers Member
    edited May 2023
    What is making the perfect circle at the bottom of the second picture? Why can a circle look like magic but a ball does not?

its obviously not polished cuz its juts some photoshop, but the general idea is nice
  • Options
    VirtekVirtek Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    So we talked about this for like....30 minutes on the podcast (with Snekkers) and we came to the end conclusion of:
    "Yeah, it would look much cooler without that bright-ass white ball and if the blue light was diffused more and illuminated a farther distance."

Toss aside science when talking about magic and focus on the fact that it's a game and the game should look and feel as cool as possible within the bounds of the game's lore and the design intent.

SUPER bright ball of lightning that doesn't illuminate anything beyond 4 feet around it, but makes that first four feet look like crazy bright smurf juice? Feels weird man. Not "Mystical magical magery" weird. Just weird.
    Creepy crawly ball of living magic crammed into the shape of a ball of lighting? AND it actually lights up the area in a way that feels as natural as all the other sources of light? That's a winner in my book!! On many different levels. The Rule of Cool being one of them.
  • Options
    All of the lightning spells flash and arc. They don't illuminate anything much. Its not a case of science per say, its a case of physical attributes of lightning. I've requested the ball be less luminous, doesn't make sense to be so prominent except with ripples from the lightning itself. However, the skill doesn't look cartoony and the skill does fit the game world. I would rather take Ball of Lightning than the old particle beam any day of the week.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    loel8gcpj4x2.png

Here is my rendition of lightning ball without the shield. It would just keep travelling until it hits an object. Not conducive to any meaningful magical control at all.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    loel8gcpj4x2.png

Here is my rendition of lightning ball without the shield. It would just keep travelling until it hits an object. Not conducive to any meaningful magical control at all.

even if we want to go with 1:1 realism, that would not work that way
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2023
    I disagree with OP and I hope they do not seek perfection and release a MVP before 2028. Players will keep asking for constant iterations while making fun of the project for taking too long to release.

Visually, AoC is impressive for an MMORPG, the main focus SHOULD remain performance, ignore those who say "this grass looks bad" but would complain and trash talk the game day 1 If they added better looking grass that was not performant. Same applies to VFX.
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    I'm going by the lightning skills on the mage. Whether it is realism or not is not the case. The lightning travels until it hits something. There is no debate that the skill is not designed correctly unless it is enhanced to make it less pristine.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Liniker wrote: »
    I disagree with OP and I hope they do not seek perfection and release a MVP before 2028. Players will keep asking for constant iterations while making fun of the project for taking too long to release.

Visually, AoC is impressive for an MMORPG, the main focus SHOULD remain performance, ignore those who say "this grass looks bad" but would complain and trash talk the game day 1 If they added better looking grass that was not performant. Same applies to VFX.

sure, remember that ashes will compete with archage 2, T&L, now chrono oddysey (assuming those games wont be trash, but you have to assume it as a game developer)
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    I was extremely disappointed with the way those frost spells looked.Not the function of them, but the visual. The snowy cave we saw in earlier dev streams was beautiful. It looked like a white winter wonderland. The spells we've gotten are icy blue and looked very flat and 2D.

t9c3e6q4p0nh.png
    Image above is super flat. The area around those spikes are unaffected.... The ground should be frosted here...
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    Yeah, I agree on the ice effects. I asked the devs to tone the ice effects down to look more like ice.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2023
    Snekkers wrote: »
    sure, remember that ashes will compete with archage 2, T&L, now chrono oddysey (assuming those games wont be trash, but you have to assume it as a game developer)

If you still have even 0.1% faith that those KR games won't be a total P2W shit show... there's just no hope left for you my brother :D

Archeage 2.... Kakao... literally released a Worse version of Archeage with NFTs this year that has worse mechanics, no naval, basically they made the game worse... surely they learned (?)

T&L... all the KR Beta testers are saying the game is wallet vs wallet, shit tier combat, bad optimization, and now amazon tester leaks confirm that, just an auto-play game made for mobile

Chrono Odyssey... KR game from a company that made mobile and NFT games, originally announced for Mobile, now changed for "console and PC" Surely not P2W

not even going to mention Pax Dei (plex token p2w) because that's not an MMORPG, its a sandbox with no leveling, no questing, no classes, probably a competitor for Ark 2 or the Dune sandbox survival game

So yea... Unreal Engine 5 trailers are easy to make, good MMOs with good monetization and systems its a whole different story,

Intrepid just need to deliver their game, and not worry about next gen graphics because that's just going to push them to a 2030 release.

img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui