Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Relationship between RP and Gameplay progression

Good evening. Something that I've always been disappointed by in the MMO's I've played is the apparent assumption on the design side of things that RP and gameplay 'efficiency' are by default at odds with each other. The general perspective, it seems to me, is that RP is something that, outside of questing and cashgrab cosmetics, generally remains systemically unemphasized/unencouraged while combat efficiency takes precedence (and perhaps profession efficiency as a secondary mode of progression).
I already think that the player driven, dynamic world of vera will put a dent in this assumption/cultural value within gaming, but I was wondering if there were any stated direct connections between RP and system progression.

For example. will there be opportunities on freeholds to formalize entertainment? Can somebody make a business out of performing a show of some kind at an amphitheater in their freehold (thereby contributing to the in game market)?

Could evangelizing within a divine node be one more way of contributing to your node progression?

Will there be any sort of mini games people can play at taverns or inns that foster solidarity between players?

Proximity chat so people can play music and tell stories in taverns?

These are all just off the top of my head, but there are countless possibilities. Generally speaking, I think the genre should HEAVILY prioritize an integration of these approaches to playing games. RP should be foundational encouraged beyond mere engagement with quest lines (though there is massive untapped potential for RP even through quest design).

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I have not been expecting RP to impact game progression, but...
    Diablo IV has some quests that require specific emotes to be used.
    I think Dragonflight does, too.

So... there might be a way to design for that...
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    You would run the risk of bot leveling. I'm sure a script for evangelism in a divine node could be created, and it surely would be if its an effective way to level alts.

No reason not give RPers the tools they need though. It would just be too exploitable to have it level a character.
  • Options
    MrAmoranth wrote: »
    Will there be any sort of mini games people can play at taverns or inns that foster solidarity between players?

Proximity chat so people can play music and tell stories in taverns?

This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Taverns
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    There is a dev discussion on role-play right now, I would add your feedback in that thread if you haven't already.