Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

World map marker

So I'm just curious about a couple things mainly the map at this moment. if we pull up a world map while we are traveling around would it tell us where we are or do we have to look at road signs and points of interest to find our way around. Or would it be possible to have it toggle on and off like what Ark has or have different servers with it enabled on some and disabled on others. Another idea would be to be able to pull up a world map and have a navigation skill that you could see a round about area were you may be and as you level up your navigation skill you can get a closer pinpoint to where you are.

Comments

• Options
    I like the idea of navigation skill points to build up your map via experience xD I really need maps though cos a spoon has a better sense of direction than I :( 
  • Options
    Maybe there could be a spell or something but all the roads should be marked at least in the beginning. I was thinking that you might be able to find a tavern or something and pay someone for info and then you could get a path to light up and guide you there but if you wander too far off it fades away or you could pay someone with a higher navigation to do that for you.
  • Options
    The main problem I see with this is that there going to make an add-on that makes way points and can tell you what direction to go to get to certain spots and then you could look up the coordinates for another place you want to go instead of following the paths or using your navigation skill
  • Options
    I really feel there needs to be a static map and player marker in game so we know where we are at if not I think it will take away from the immersion of the game and people always wondering where they need to go..
  • Options
    beamer91 said:
    The main problem I see with this is that there going to make an add-on that makes way points and can tell you what direction to go to get to certain spots and then you could look up the coordinates for another place you want to go instead of following the paths or using your navigation skill
    Well addons have been thrown out the window, the team confirmed that its a no addon game. But I'd imagine its just gonna be the classic world map, probably "you discover something important and its marked"-style.
  • Options
    No map markers would be interesting, but would like a marker on your compass, like Skyrim
  • Options
    I really feel there needs to be a static map and player marker in game so we know where we are at if not I think it will take away from the immersion of the game and people always wondering where they need to go..
    I actually feel the exact opposite. Having a static map.and marker that shows exactly where you are at all times is immersion breaking imo. 

I think some cool navigation mechanics would be interesting. Even the standard fog of war is kind of boring and feels archaic to me. 

Maybe players need to explore areas and crate maps that can be shared or sold to others or something cool like that. Cartographer profession :p probably wouldn't have a much reach outside of the first week after release though :p
  • Options
    Aeson said:
    Maybe players need to explore areas and crate maps that can be shared or sold to others or something cool like that. Cartographer profession :p probably wouldn't have a much reach outside of the first week after release though :p
    I totally agree. The lack of maps and map markers promote fear of the unknown and unexpected, disorientation, uncertainty. I think this fits in well with the world with consequences design pillar.
  • Options
    A cartographic-system like in "Miasmata" would be cool. You have to spot three POI's and then draw your own map by yourself. Same for dungeon-maps. And you have to update your map (e.g. cities changed or destroyed or replaced by another city).
  • Options
    shazooo said:
    A cartographic-system like in "Miasmata" would be cool. You have to spot three POI's and then draw your own map by yourself. Same for dungeon-maps. And you have to update your map (e.g. cities changed or destroyed or replaced by another city).

Excellent idea! :)
  • Options
    shazooo said:
    Actually this is very interesting, because with the node system towns will become cities that will evolve over time and inevitably be destroyed. I wonder how this will be reflected in maps? 
  • Options
    What I forgot to write in my first comment:
    You are able to pin spots for your own usage (e.g. raw materials, friends house,...) and/or to make notes. So your map will be unique.