Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

True Roleplay

The only system I’ve seen hold up for Roleplay with very few issues is Neverwinter Nights persistent worlds like Ravenloft Potm. Their Roleplay is swiftly enforced. Breaks in character are warned about at first but then a DM will swiftly rectify the situation. I’ve never seen another game where it worked so well.

So a system of community guides that can watch players and respond to reports quickly if someone comes in disrupting Roleplay would be good.

Also skills and spells that have little to do with combat but are fun to play with. Like flourishes with weapons. Or spells to make lighting play about your hands or body for show. Stuff like that.

Comments

• Options
    CawwCaww Member
    roleplay is not interesting at all for a lot of players so any system to catch violators is a waste of resources
  • Options
    Mythander wrote: »
    So a system of community guides that can watch players and respond to reports quickly if someone comes in disrupting Roleplay would be good.

What would be considered "disrupting roleplay"?
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Caww wrote: »
    roleplay is not interesting at all for a lot of players so any system to catch violators is a waste of resources

Everyone is roleplaying just by playing this game. It is fantasy roleplay. As for "waste of resources", catching people that disrupt play for others is never a waste of time.

Anyway! I loved the Neverwinter Persistent Worlds. Some of the best roleplay i've seen to date. Now, there is some very good GTA and RedDead roleplay going on too now, but far too much (and you can't tell when you will be subjected to it) is wish fulfillment without consequences, so i have not found a group i can stick with yet.

<3
  • Options
    JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This would only really be viable in situations where there are zones or servers specifically for RP. But as this will be mainly open world and no distinction between server types, the only policing would be by the players. This is pretty normal in RP communities in games that don't have seperate RP areas.
  • Options
    TaerrikTaerrik Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The only thing I see really, is what will probably already be available by calling a GM for harassment.

IF you are RPing in open world, and someone comes by to run around your group a lot spamming chat or being a nuissance to break your immersion, call a GM, I dont think any specific or automated system is needed or a good idea.

random PvP attacks in open world against RPers should already be addressed by corruption.
  • Options
    Taerrik wrote: »
    The only thing I see really, is what will probably already be available by calling a GM for harassment.

IF you are RPing in open world, and someone comes by to run around your group a lot spamming chat or being a nuissance to break your immersion, call a GM, I dont think any specific or automated system is needed or a good idea.

random PvP attacks in open world against RPers should already be addressed by corruption.

or just block them so you dont see their chat?
  • Options
    But they can still be a nuisance, visually, running around jumping and emoting in your face. It is immersion breaking

GMs will exist for the trolls
  • Options
    But they can still be a nuisance, visually, running around jumping and emoting in your face. It is immersion breaking

GMs will exist for the trolls

its a free world. people shouldnt be punished for running around and doing emotes. just find a corner and roleplay instead of trying to force others to play how you want (outside of a game mechanic).

what if they are roleplaying as happy hyper rabbits hopping around? they should be able to roleplay without a gm punishing them because another player doesn't want that happening ;3
  • Options
    Yea thats not the point.

You and your friends go to a corner of the world because thats where your RP story quest is taking you. And you are chatting IC and managing whatever parts of your player made content you want.

Some other guy comes by, sees your group, and just starts emoting randomly ro RP himself as a hyper rabbit. Pretty clear harassment. Intrepid has already shown a lot of interest in having a good RP community already, I would fully expect a GM report to be swiftly dealt with in any harassment situation.

Doesnt have anything about forcing other people to play the way I want. There is zero expectation other players that happen to travel by have to interact with us in IC, but its common courtesy to not interfere if you dont have to go there for some quest or farm or whatever other reason.

Let folks do what they want. This has to do with intentional disruption of gameplay, pretty easy to see the distinction here.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Some people like to role-play an asshole. I think it's valid rp.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    If a group asks you to leave them alone, and you decide to continue to be an asshole, kind of makes you an actual asshole, not an IC asshole.

• Options
    Who's being more of an asshole? The person rp an asshole or the group with a superiority complex thinking certain rp is more valid than other rp?
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    What does this has to do with any kind of superiority complex?

Those guys want to play their RP session without being harassed.

Here is the real world equivalent example to exactly what you are describing.
    A group of friends go to their local comic shop where table top games are usually held every tuesday. They start a game and are hours into it.
    Some other person shows up, to just start harassing them.

Do you, expect that to be ok? Its not, the asshole gets kicked out of the shop for disruption.

Back to in game RP.
    If folks are playing some RP out, and you show up expecting to be let in on the spot in the middle of the session, the DM is not likely to let you in on the spot if its a campaign thats been planned out for some time.
    If you then start bein an asshole, expect a GM to show up, all I'm sayin. Good luck
  • Options
    But the game is not a closed session. It's an open community. What is harassment to one person is not harassment to another person. People have too many little bubbles and require too many safe spaces in recent times.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    At this point, the discussion doesnt even have anything to do with rp.

Someoen asked you to leave them alone and you said nahhh, im gonna harass this person instead.
  • Options
    I'm an RP PvPer and you can just kill said person. If killing said person is against your RP why are you in a PvX game?
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    If you read much of what I say on the forums, you will realize I am very much in favor of Pvp as an option.

If you wanna flag up on some rpers go for it, see how far it gets you.

Dont harass em with chat and emotes is my point.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    My friend only uses emotes. Its the truest form of rp. In fact, he doesn't use voice or chat even when proximity chat is available. Granted the friend is called a psychopath by other players but the rp is very effective.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    The point of "please go away" is somehow not understood here. Not all RP campaigns are compatible with bringing in outside players on the fly.

IF the RP group initiates a flag on the person interrupting their campaign, they get corruption, repeat until they are red and its easy to see where it goes from here.

This is why, a simple polite request ought to be enough, if not, submit a harassment ticket, because there is no other way to move forward.

I'm all for the player being a nuissance flagging up and attacking, but beyond that, to me that person is just trying to bait a group of players into going red.
  • Options
    Yeah the corruption can be an issue but there are ways and means of dealing with corruption. I just don't get the closed session mentality. The asshole can do that to any group, why do rpers get priority protection?
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    They dont. Anyone can expect said level of protection, its why in my initial reply to the OP I said they dont need any specific systems just for them. Just call a GM when someone is giving them grief.

As far as harassment already being on the minds of Intrepid for such a thing.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Definition:Griefing

"Now the question is, when risk becomes something that doesn't stop other players from impacting your gameplay in a negative and harassing and repetitive manner. The motivation to do that action is less about their personal advancement and more about impacting your gameplay, because when they elicit the response of anger or rage from the player, they feel a sense of accomplishment. That in my opinion is what griefing is. It is outside of the expectation of the gameplay behavior that is communicated in the design philosophy."
    [1] – Steven Sharif"
  • Options
    I've seen people fly into a rage for arena losses. Do gms get involved then too? Sometimes I think Steven has high ideation about things that are natural like toxicity, anger and rage.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    At this point, the discussion doesnt even have anything to do with rp.

Someoen asked you to leave them alone and you said nahhh, im gonna harass this person instead.

that isnt harassment. im allowed to spam my emotes.

what if you kill one of the mobs im farming and i hit you. then you ask me to leave you alone. should i not kill you because you asked? should i be punished by a GM if i keep attacking you or even if i kill you simply because you asked me not to kill you in an open world pvp game?

its the same when it comes to rp. if you had your own private server then yeah sure, you make your own rules, but unfortunately (for you) you dont.

what if i want to rp as a bandit? i see your group and i kill them and take your stuff. im not going to not kill you because you asked me not to since you are rping with your group.

the meta rules are not more important than the actual rules.
  • Options
    Yea sorry guys, you are being pretty clear about going to spam chat/harass a group just because you can and you dont think there should be repercussions, and once again, pvp is great, attack all you want, its part of the game and isnt harassment. Being a dick for the purpose of ruining someones game experience is, and the wiki is pretty clear on that point.

IN the words of the great internet meme, fuck around and find out is all I have left to say here.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    We have a Sandal in game.
    Do we get a White Chair?
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    The point of "please go away" is somehow not understood here.

I think the point being made is that you can ask someone to go away, but they can always say no.

You can say they are being an asshole if you like, but being an asshole isn't against the ToS.
  • Options
    I havent seen a ToS yet to look at for the finer details of exactly how far is too far, but just how far do you want to push this envelope really and expect to have ground to stand on. Pick any modern game, that still has active customer support, wow, ff14, eso, others. harssment, stalker, other negative behavior is addressed as players report it.

Since there doesnt seem to be much understanding about the impact here:
    If you havent done any RP in games in the past, you may not understand just how much small things like this can destroy immersion for the RPers, and ruin weeks of campaign development and effort for them, just because you want to be a jerk. It is a significant time investment for them, and very little effort for you to do that, for no personal gain other than laughs for you. (I could quote steven again here, but you can just click the wiki link from my post above to see his thoughts, beyond the PvP being a part of every piece of gameplay, steven himself being an RPer is one of the big draws for me to support this game, I would not be suprised to learn in the future if Intrepid leans very sympathetically towards RPers, considering all the tools being developed for them already such as character sheets)

In the situation thats being proposed of 'asshole' gameplay (not saying you will do this specifically, but its your proposal so I am just writing out the hypothetical here):
    You be an asshole to someone, they ask you to stop, You continue, they block you so they dont see the chat. You continue just following them, being a nuisance, spamming emotes in their face and so on. Don't be surprised when you suddenly cant log in anymore my friend.

This is straight up griefing, and the RPers cant do anything about it beyond block. If they tried to flag up on you gives them corruption, which also will ruin their gameplay session. Do you truly think this sort of behavior will be accepted? Part of our sub fee every month goes towards caretaking of the game, which includes active in game GMs (from the wiki also, if you didnt want to google it)

If your going to interrupt their campaign night, at least actually engage in pvp so they can do something about you.
  • Options
    I hope RPers will find a place in AoC.
  • Options
    I'm a bit confused what you think rp is? If the game world allows these paradigms to exist then that is the rp remit. Not some arbitrary rule set created external to the game world and applied in game.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif