Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Biggest concern so far

I've been following ashes of creations progress since the Kickstarter, but I'll admit I didn't buy into the hype until I saw the livestreams in 2023.

Honestly the game looks amazing and set on track to really be the next gen MMO, and I feel everything they've shown off so far has really inspired confidence in me.

However I feel one major aspect that is relatively lacking for the most part in these recent showcases is the lore.

Or at least delving deeper into that lore, I understand most video game fans are alright with lore playing a minor background factor... but for MMO's I feel it plays a vital role in growth.

Lore helps fans get excited for future expansions and updates as well as being excited to explore new regions hinted at in the base game.

I understand the base lore, as well as the notion that the players will be creating a lot of the lore, but even as a DND DM I feel there has to be a good chunk of easily accessible lore for people to enjoy while adventuring.

My genuine hope for this game is that it dominates the MMO industry. To that end I feel things like basic cinematics or the team delving deeper into the lore either in livestreams or on the forums can really help players latch onto the world.

Either way I'm fully aboard the hype train, and wish the team the best of luck on this ambitious endeavor!

Comments

• Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited February 1
    I mean, ive seen a decent amount of lore, and I understand the hunger to know more, but wouldn't it be more fun to leave most of it for us to discover?
    5000x1000px_sathrago_commission_ravenjuu_1.jpg?ex=665ce6c0&is=665b9540&hm=1fa03cbbd9ea4d641eaf4ca6f133d013d392b1968d6ca9add7d433259c509d09&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Sathrago wrote: »
    I mean, ive seen a decent amount of lore, and I understand the hunger to know more, but wouldn't it be more fun to leave most of it for us to discover?

This is the answer.

Intrepid is intentional in waiting for most lore reveals until game release … which I personally prefer.
  • Options
    SnowElfSnowElf Member
    edited February 2
    I resonate with your concerns. Recently I have been looking around to find some lore outlets in order to keep up with the Verran lore, but so far we don't have a lot of information just yet..

We know things like...
    Verra had an extinction event at some point in the timeline, causing some races to flee or other races to be left behind and transform due to the drastically changed environment. We also do know the races of course returned to Verra.
    Carphin is a hub for a hotbed of magical activity and once served as a gift to humans from the elves to enrich them with knowledge. Several key characters and their associated statutes are present in Carphin, and that this establishment eventually fell into a corrupted state due to an event. Some characters did flee and have yet to be seen!
    With the desert biome preview, we've seen a very curious statute of some type of goddess(?) That we don't know much about.

Since Intrepid studios has adopted a strong Agile methodology to their development plans, I'm sure that once the lore really starts to become revealed during launch, players will have chances to maybe shape the lore a bit and change it up perhaps, but not terribly insane in the opposite direction of the goal in mind. Lets hope that Steven and Margaret give us some breadcrumbs here in the future for some yummy lore knowledge. =]
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Steven & team have explicitly stated for years that they are holding back on lore until very close to release.
    We're keeping lore very close to the chest and the reason for that is because it is very rich. It is diverse. It will have applications outside of just the MMORPG. We intend to take it much further, but I want it to be something that the players get to reveal themselves, that's not just handed to them and then the experience is lost. They should feel when they're experiencing this that it relates to them on a personal level.[11]

Here's the wiki link: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Lore
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Ya when it comes to lore and story. IMO best to get that info in game.
  • Options
    Biggest concern? Freehold system says hold my beer.
    The girl watched the last of the creatures die and murmured a soft 'Thank you' to her rescuer.

The stranger's eyes lifted to the blood red cloud on the horizon.

'We have to move. It's not safe here.'
  • Options
    If LORE is the biggest concern at the moment, than this game is heading in a perfect direction 😂
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • Options
    The_Hippo wrote: »
    I've been following ashes of creations progress since the Kickstarter, but I'll admit I didn't buy into the hype until I saw the livestreams in 2023.

Honestly the game looks amazing and set on track to really be the next gen MMO, and I feel everything they've shown off so far has really inspired confidence in me.

However I feel one major aspect that is relatively lacking for the most part in these recent showcases is the lore.

Or at least delving deeper into that lore, I understand most video game fans are alright with lore playing a minor background factor... but for MMO's I feel it plays a vital role in growth.

Lore helps fans get excited for future expansions and updates as well as being excited to explore new regions hinted at in the base game.

I understand the base lore, as well as the notion that the players will be creating a lot of the lore, but even as a DND DM I feel there has to be a good chunk of easily accessible lore for people to enjoy while adventuring.

My genuine hope for this game is that it dominates the MMO industry. To that end I feel things like basic cinematics or the team delving deeper into the lore either in livestreams or on the forums can really help players latch onto the world.

Either way I'm fully aboard the hype train, and wish the team the best of luck on this ambitious endeavor!

well, lore doesnt get me excited for future expansions and updates. the expansion itself and the new stuff i can get gets me excited, but thats just me.

anyways, steven said that most of the story and lore is being kept secret until release.
  • Options
    Someone can explain please what is "Lore" exactly for bad/none English speakers ?
    Is that the story telling ?
  • Options
    Myosotys wrote: »
    Someone can explain please what is "Lore" exactly for bad/none English speakers ?
    Is that the story telling ?

Yes. It's basically the story of the game, characters and people involved in the world.
  • Options
    There's nothing to indicate that there will be any shortage of Lore.

If you watch their Pathfinder-type streams, Steven actually lets slip a LOT more than what's on the Wiki and the forums, atm. The very first dev-videos explaining his concepts also lay some very solid groundwork for what to expect of the worlds of Verra and Sanctus. The regular, monthly update videos are also a good source of newly-released information, such as the Tower of Carphin locale and some of the activities of King Atrax - whom may or may not still be alive in our time, given that he was the First Undead, of Verra.

He also occasionally un-intentionally lets slip some Lore elements in the monthly update videos. This was how we found out that the Tulnar have essentially been "sealed" in underground caverns, the last few millenia; They haven't been on the surface, until recently.

• Options
    VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The_Hippo wrote: »
    My genuine hope for this game is that it dominates the MMO industry.

As others have said, don't worry, there will be plenty of lore, Steven just guards it like a greedy goblin hahah.
    That said, you miiiiggghhhtttt want to temper that hope just a bit. Alot of the proposed system fly in the face of what most of the modern mmo community is used to/ is willing to try, So even best case scenario, It's not gonna be for everyone, and probably will require some relearning for new players willing to give it a go.
  • Options
    KilionKilion Member
    edited February 5
    I honestly don't know where this concern stems from. The current streams revolve mainly around the mechanics of the game and because those are huge, I honestly think there is no adequate place for them to present lore elements at this point.

Additionally, as a TTRPG GM myself I can fully understand that Steven has made a point to not show too much lore elements to this point. There is a huge, to my knowledge public, Alpha 2 coming up and this will give hundreds of thousands of people the opportunity to learn about the lore, most of which however will be watching streams. This in itself is a "problem" so to speak as it "damages" one of the core motivators players usually have in an MMORPG: Exploring and learning about the world themselves.

Looking back at Vanilla WoW all existing lore came from "there are these other games and this one takes place in the same world as those games but some other time". From my perspective the story told back then still managed to stand on its own two feet and final bosses were built up quite nicely during the game which I would argue is supported by so many more players joining to play WoW than those who played Warcraft 3.

To conclude for now I don't really see reason to be explicitely concerned about the lore, the risk exists for sure, but I haven't seen any evidence yet that Intrepid is not doing enough for us to dive into a world rich with interesting stories to discover.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    if the lack of lore in the live streams is your biggest concern...