Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

World Map - Satellite or Painterly?

4ek40pdmwcm7.jpeg

My first impression of the new world map was that, while it’s interesting to look at, it looks a little too detailed to be an actual entire world map that I theoretically have put down on paper in my backpack. It really just looks like a satellite image of the entire world.

For what it is, it looks fantastic, but personally, I think it might end up being better used as the mini-map, which is really supposed to be a super-realistic UI translation of actually being in the area you’re at in person and knowing what your immediate surroundings are like at all times. To me, that’s where seeing every tree canopy, ever color shift in the top soil, and every little detail of every worn down pathway makes sense.

For an actual world map that you use to examine the world’s geography at a distance, I was really hoping for a more painterly style map. It could still be plenty detailed, but something that looks like it was handmade, and that leaves some of these extreme details to the imagination.

What do you all think?

Comments

• Options
    edited March 13
    Personally I find the map to be way too detailed.

Example of Cyrodiil map in ESO:
    cgehl2tjr6d6.png

I prefer this over Intrepid AOC map because it doesn't show every single rock and tree. The AOC map gives away exact locations for quests/objectives. "Objective is next to X rock by X tree".
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    I like Witcher 3's map

white-orchard.jpg
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    HartassenHartassen Member
    edited March 13
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    I like Witcher 3's map

white-orchard.jpg

While I do like witcher 3's map isn't that mapgenie's version of the witcher 3 map?
  • Options
    OtrOtr Member
    Sengarden wrote: »
    For an actual world map that you use to examine the world’s geography at a distance, I was really hoping for a more painterly style map. It could still be plenty detailed, but something that looks like it was handmade, and that leaves some of these extreme details to the imagination.

What do you all think?

I wouldn't mind that.
    Maybe could be configurable.
    Also I would like to see the history of the world displayed on the map.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    New World Map is quite decent..