Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Node player base distribution

If we have 10,000 active players on a server, and ~100 nodes, then there is an average of about 100 people per node. The biggest and most popular nodes could easily have triple that, and the farthest, least popular could have like a couple dozen.

This means that if you pick a far away node that isn't popular, you could literally have just like 20 people in the node after the realm has settled a bit.

Don't really have much to say about it, just an interesting thought.

Comments

• Options
    Max count of 6 metropolises in the game. I agree picking a far away node would mean there are few players, but with the softlock system of node progression blocks off a lot. Encampments, while untested since A2, are set to pop up after a few hours will block all immediate surroundings from being the same level. This means most players will spread out, and after the first sets up encampments sprung up after day 1 most players will aggregate back to the encampments since little comes from open wilderness.

Of course this can change once those encampments hit higher levels, players can go to a side node and try to get it higher up so it may become a subsidiary note and players take pride in their vassal node. But by in large most of the functions players will need/enjoy will come from higher level nodes. But I guess that means when players go to far flung nodes they wont see anyone around.
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    And stay off my lawn.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't expect players to be evenly distributed across nodes. That's one of the deceptive things about using averages for analysis...a few larger nodes and lots of small ones would yield that average of 100 per node.

There will be many significant benefits of being a citizen of one of the larger, higher-level nodes.... better processing, shops, dungeons, housing, buildings not present in lower nodes, and so forth.

But, if you like living next to the untamed wilderness and living on the edge of civilization where red players roam, then the little nodes are yours.
  • Options
    TacquitoTacquito Member
    edited April 4
    Definitely interesting to think about.

Are you referring to node citizens? I would not expect an even distribution at all. I suspect many of the nodes will have zero citizens, and a major metropolis would have possibly 1,000-2,000+. The metropolis will have many benefits for citizenship, whereas a far away wilderness node would have little benefit. I'm not even sure its possible to be a citizen of level 1&2 nodes? Per the wiki: "Player housing grants the ability to claim citizenship of a Village (stage 3) node or higher."

Also, I believe there will be 85 regular nodes, plus 15 castle nodes (3 per each of the 5 guild castles). I''m not sure how guild members will distribute amongst those 3 nodes, but I'd guess they'd all be citizens of the castle node.
  • Options
    McShaveMcShave Member
    Tacquito wrote: »
    Definitely interesting to think about.

Are you referring to node citizens? I would not expect an even distribution at all. I suspect many of the nodes will have zero citizens, and a major metropolis would have possibly 1,000-2,000+. The metropolis will have many benefits for citizenship, whereas a far away wilderness node would have little benefit. I'm not even sure its possible to be a citizen of level 1&2 nodes? Per the wiki: "Player housing grants the ability to claim citizenship of a Village (stage 3) node or higher."

Also, I believe there will be 85 regular nodes, plus 15 castle nodes (3 per each of the 5 guild castles). I''m not sure how guild members will distribute amongst those 3 nodes, but I'd guess they'd all be citizens of the castle node.

everything i wanted to say was said by Tacquito.

One thing I would add is we don't exactly know how the node vassal system will work. Will their be a benefit to being a citizen in a vassal node which is given due to the fact that it is under a specific higher-tier node? will your node recognize a higher tier's - higher tier node?
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    10k is concurrent online. Endgoal for the entire population of a server is 50k, so instead of ~20 in those smallest nodes it's gonna be ~100 (though obviously most likely less, cause metros will have waaay more).

You most likely won't see them all at the same time, but the overall population will be bigger than you think.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I can`t see an equal distribution of players amongst the world but do wonder just what sizes the clusters will be.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Despite theoretically having many more 'Nodes', we can still use Elite Dangerous player distributions for this.

Their API is opt-in, but there's some ingame information you can gather by actually playing which helps a bit, and I'm in charge of collecting it for a few sectors.

The reality that plays out there:

Metro equiv - 800 residents, 400+ Visitors (from other nodes) per day.
    City Equiv - 200 Residents, 200+ Visitors (high point based on events and clashes) per day
    Town Equiv - 70 Residents, 100+ Visitors (high point, but also, people who live in anything below Towns tend to have activities that cover a wider area)
    Village Equiv- 12 residents, 10 Visitors (unless something is going on in a nearby Town, the Residents of these also make up the bulk of Visitors to 'Towns').
    Elite has one server that is about the size of an Ashes server (4k players on Steam generally, probably an equal amount who don't use Steam to play, based on my small sample size it's about half and half for Steam vs their base launcher).

The driving force of movement for 'Village' and 'Town' players is the Mission system, whereas 'Metro' players normally get deployed by their leaders to 'Towns' during conflicts and events, or hang around being social and feeling good about being in their huge 'guilds'. (generally 500-1000 members, but probably only 300 active per day).

There are about the 'right number' of those, too, so it parallels easily.

Just adding the data because it's 'hey, you're exactly right, here's a live game with the same system that matches your numbers exactly'.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited April 4
    tautau wrote: »
    But, if you like living next to the untamed wilderness and living on the edge of civilization where red players roam, then the little nodes are yours.

I get the Feeling you will be a preferred Target by those "Red Players". :D Somehow your Comments in the last Week or above read themself like this, Tautau. :D (hahahahahah^.^)

Are the Red Players with us in the Room right now, Tautau ?

You could be a Red Player. I could be a Red Player. Sir Steven could be a Red Player. :smirk:
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    This is normal in great games like EVE Online and others, if you are alone out there you will probably not be able to fend off bigger groups, but also you get to farm everything for yourself and live off the land

I am pretty sure people will look for quieter places
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.