Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Mount abilities! What would you like to see?

Is it intended that mount abilities are providing a matrix of choices options or strategy to the player? The answer would be yes. Because we have these abilities and different stat blocks that are governed through the Animal Husbandry system, the desire is to make sure, like any other piece of equipment or itemization choice, that strategy is carefully considered when determining the appropriate mount choice.[3] – Steven Sharif

As per the title; what kind of abilities would you like to see for mounts in game?
Personally I'd like to see some stealth capabilities for something like a chameleon mount. (I'd also like the chameleon to look a bit more monstrous but that's just personal cosmetic preference. ) it should ofcourse be balanced. Maybe you would have to remain motionless for a period of time to activate it or something to that effect. Something similar could also work for an octopus mount.

I'd also like to see a giant snake mount that could perhaps climb up legged up to a certain height or something to that effect. Or even spit poison.

Lastly something like the ferrox from ark survival evolved that would be able to throw you a decent distance. That would be pretty cool.

All of this ofcourse through the lens of balance.

Comments

• Options
    Settite wrote: »
    I'd also like to see a giant snake mount that could perhaps climb up legged up to a certain height or something to that effect. Or even spit poison.

I dunno about combative abilities but different types of traversal strenghts would be suuuuper cool.

Giant Mountain rams = ability to breach angles up to 60° with ease
    Horses of all kinds = unrivaled in flat terrain when it comes to speed
    Giant snake = able to spiral up on pillars or tree's and also coil up like a spring to try and latch onto another surface

Flying mounts = generic, boring and overpowered traversal everywhere :smirk: ( lol )
    6h4yddoh6t31.jpg
  • Options
    I would L~OVE to see a Wyvern/tiny Dragon in Action,

we need Sir Steven to utterly BLAST US (lol) from above when we siege/raid a Node or Castle he and his fellow Defenders are protecting. ;) . :D

Or maybe a "Gryphon"(?) Ability where Players who own them "DASH DOWN from the Sky", then GRAB one of us - and throw/hurl them away with great Speed over a n~oice Distance and we crash into something like a Ragdoll and look utterly ridiculous all the way while doing it. :D

Long Story short -> i would love to see a few Mounts who can have "Effects" on a Battlefield. ;)

A Mayor and his precious Officers, Commanders, Bodyguards etc. can come flying down on us while we attack a Location with a huge Army/Mass of Players - and test out their Abilities on us. :grin:
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 11
    @Vaknar Hmmn. I wonder if Stuffertons can Stealth?
  • Options
    blatblat Member
    Extended jump range could be cool, or even long legs that are unaffected by shallow water for quickly traversing swampland.
  • Options
    PyrololPyrolol Member
    Charge knockdown dismount
    Running someone over like in CoD 😂
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If we have canine mounts, I would love to have a skill (or even just an emote) to have the mount approach a targeted player, lift a leg, and pee.

This would be fun for pets to do, as well.
  • Options
    SettiteSettite Member
    Dripyula wrote: »

I dunno about combative abilities but different types of traversal strenghts would be suuuuper cool.

Giant Mountain rams = ability to breach angles up to 60° with ease
    Horses of all kinds = unrivaled in flat terrain when it comes to speed
    Giant snake = able to spiral up on pillars or tree's and also coil up like a spring to try and latch onto another surface

Flying mounts = generic, boring and overpowered traversal everywhere :smirk: ( lol )

That's fair, poison may be too much or too little if it's toned down too much; thus making it irrelevant. Would also cause more balancing issues. I'd def love a snake that could climb and spring. A snake or chameleon would be my preferred mount. I don't care much for flying mounts in general. U miss out on exploring the world once you gain access to flight, atleast that's how I felt in ark survival evolved.
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    I would L~OVE to see a Wyvern/tiny Dragon in Action,

we need Sir Steven to utterly BLAST US (lol) from above when we siege/raid a Node or Castle he and his fellow Defenders are protecting. ;) . :D

Or maybe a "Gryphon"(?) Ability where Players who own them "DASH DOWN from the Sky", then GRAB one of us - and throw/hurl them away with great Speed over a n~oice Distance and we crash into something like a Ragdoll and look utterly ridiculous all the way while doing it. :D

Long Story short -> i would love to see a few Mounts who can have "Effects" on a Battlefield. ;)

A Mayor and his precious Officers, Commanders, Bodyguards etc. can come flying down on us while we attack a Location with a huge Army/Mass of Players - and test out their Abilities on us. :grin:

Lol thats interesting. As long as you don't die from the fall damage xD
    Dygz wrote: »
    @Vaknar Hmmn. I wonder if Stuffertons can Stealth?

I genuinely went to look up stufferton thinking it was something spectacular. I wasn't disappointed.
    Pyrolol wrote: »
    Charge knockdown dismount
    Running someone over like in CoD 😂

I'd love that tbh
  • Options
    edited April 11
    I would like to see universal mount abilities. I am not a fan of GW2 mount system. Speed should be the same on all mounts wether it is on land/water/sky etc. I don't want to be forced to use a specific mount with the exception of land/water/sky.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    SettiteSettite Member
    I would like to see universal mount abilities. I am not a fan of GW2 mount system. Speed should be the same on all mounts wether it is on land or water etc. don't want to be forced to use a specific mount to travel.

That's a fair point aswell. I believe we will be able have 3 or mounts on us at all times so you have 1 for speed on land and water and one for personal taste
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »
    If we have canine mounts, I would love to have a skill (or even just an emote) to have the mount approach a targeted player, lift a leg, and pee.

This would be fun for pets to do, as well.

I can see it happening, Tautau. ;)

- Players gank/kill fellow Player. The exact Reason why is unnecessary.
    - If they get Corruption or not is also unnecessary.

- Killed Player becomes a smoldering Pile of Ash.

- Then,
    - another Player approaches on his Mount. It is not important if he is Part of the Killer-Playergroup or not.

- He positions his Mount. Uses the Emote. The Mount "pee's" on the small pile of Ash.
    - For possible Hilarity, the smoldering Pile of Ash extinguishes and cools down. No more smoldering.

This would make for great Troll Content on YouTube.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    A knockback ability sounds really fun! Lots of mounts will have wings, even if they can't fly. They could blast enemies back with a gust of wind!
  • Options
    I hate to be a party pooper, because I love the idea of species-specific mount abilities, but with cash shop cosmetics that replace the creature type you're riding with something completely different, how can any of us expect to have a wide variety of them function well? I've brought this up multiple times before and have never been given a good solution. Imagine a rhino that can come in and out of stealth, because it's actually a chameleon beneath the skin, an elephant that can leap 30 feet ahead of itself to escape an encounter, because it's actually a frog underneath, or a bear that can shoot web immobilization out of its butt, because it's actually a spider underneath, etc. I feel like it would just be absolutely ridiculous from a visual/immersion standpoint.

In terms of PvP functionality, how are you supposed to know what mount abilities to expect from your opponent if you're never sure whether their mount is skinned or not? Even if you play regularly and have memorized all the skins (there have been a ton already and will be more later if they keep it up), how will you know what creature the mount actually is?

The best "solution" I can think of is a simplified icon for every species type that has unique mount abilities, which hovers above or next to the player's name plate. This is currently the proposed solution for conveying gear quality through outfit cosmetic skins, and will already create an annoyance on its own, especially during large battles when you're dealing with hundreds of players and trying to target your firepower efficiently.

The biggest problem with using this approach for mounts, as well as gear, and potentially caravans and aquatic vessels too, is that there are bound to be dozens of unique mount species with their own unique abilities. How is anyone supposed to keep track of that many icons, pick them out and recognize them in a split second during the heat of a battle, and act accordingly? To make that more manageable, we'd have to go super generic with the mount abilities and only have maybe 10 or so different unique ability pools, lumping roughly similar species classes together, which would be super lame for mount breeders and mount users alike.

Without going on and on, this same type of problem / noticeable inconvenience, the type that continuously sucks you out of the game world by reminding you the cash shop exists, is still unresolved for gear type and quality hidden beneath cosmetics, caravan quality and specific upgrades hidden beneath cosmetics, as well as aquatic vessel type, quality, and specific upgrades hidden beneath cosmetics. I personally think it's a massive issue that I can't see being resolved without either significantly dumbing down all of the impacted systems, or hoping tens of thousands of players are just okay going in relatively blind with every PvP encounter and never having the type of visual insight into the details of the threats they face from other players or their vehicles that one would reasonably expect.
  • Options
    SettiteSettite Member
    Sengarden wrote: »
    I hate to be a party pooper, because I love the idea of species-specific mount abilities, but with cash shop cosmetics that replace the creature type you're riding with something completely different, how can any of us expect to have a wide variety of them function well? I've brought this up multiple times before and have never been given a good solution. Imagine a rhino that can come in and out of stealth, because it's actually a chameleon beneath the skin, an elephant that can leap 30 feet ahead of itself to escape an encounter, because it's actually a frog underneath, or a bear that can shoot web immobilization out of its butt, because it's actually a spider underneath, etc. I feel like it would just be absolutely ridiculous from a visual/immersion standpoint.

In terms of PvP functionality, how are you supposed to know what mount abilities to expect from your opponent if you're never sure whether their mount is skinned or not? Even if you play regularly and have memorized all the skins (there have been a ton already and will be more later if they keep it up), how will you know what creature the mount actually is?

The best "solution" I can think of is a simplified icon for every species type that has unique mount abilities, which hovers above or next to the player's name plate. This is currently the proposed solution for conveying gear quality through outfit cosmetic skins, and will already create an annoyance on its own, especially during large battles when you're dealing with hundreds of players and trying to target your firepower efficiently.

The biggest problem with using this approach for mounts, as well as gear, and potentially caravans and aquatic vessels too, is that there are bound to be dozens of unique mount species with their own unique abilities. How is anyone supposed to keep track of that many icons, pick them out and recognize them in a split second during the heat of a battle, and act accordingly? To make that more manageable, we'd have to go super generic with the mount abilities and only have maybe 10 or so different unique ability pools, lumping roughly similar species classes together, which would be super lame for mount breeders and mount users alike.

Without going on and on, this same type of problem / noticeable inconvenience, the type that continuously sucks you out of the game world by reminding you the cash shop exists, is still unresolved for gear type and quality hidden beneath cosmetics, caravan quality and specific upgrades hidden beneath cosmetics, as well as aquatic vessel type, quality, and specific upgrades hidden beneath cosmetics. I personally think it's a massive issue that I can't see being resolved without either significantly dumbing down all of the impacted systems, or hoping tens of thousands of players are just okay going in relatively blind with every PvP encounter and never having the type of visual insight into the details of the threats they face from other players or their vehicles that one would reasonably expect.

You raise a valid point. Give me your feedback on this: a toggle that allows you to see someone's actual mount instead of their cosmetic mount.
    Example: I have a chameleon mount but a rhino cosmetic on it. You have a button in settings that allows you to see it as a chameleon instead of a rhino.
    This allows the developers to still have a wide range on unique mount abilities while not giving those who have cosmetic skins an advantage in pvp.
    This also doesn't hurt those who have purchased skins since it won't limit what skins they can have on their mount of choice.
    The only down side I see is that the purchaser can't show off their mount to EVERYONE since it will be up to every player whether that want to see it.

The toggle could also active when pvp begins as a nice middle ground.

Sorry for the ramble.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    You raise a valid point. Give me your feedback on this: a toggle that allows you to see someone's actual mount instead of their cosmetic mount.
    Example: I have a chameleon mount but a rhino cosmetic on it. You have a button in settings that allows you to see it as a chameleon instead of a rhino.
    This allows the developers to still have a wide range on unique mount abilities while not giving those who have cosmetic skins an advantage in pvp.
    This also doesn't hurt those who have purchased skins since it won't limit what skins they can have on their mount of choice.
    The only down side I see is that the purchaser can't show off their mount to EVERYONE since it will be up to every player whether that want to see it.

The toggle could also active when pvp begins as a nice middle ground.

Sorry for the ramble.

Thoughts?

Unfortunately, you already guessed the problem with that suggestion. Would I like to be able to toggle seeing other player’s cosmetics on and off across the board in every category? Absolutely! But part of the appeal for whales who go out of their way to collect all this stuff is showing it off to other people. If they found out that every other player in game can choose not to see their cosmetics, and I think we can assume most people would choose not to, then it dramatically reduces the appeal of purchasing any, and would most likely impact cosmetic sales enough to leave Intrepid needing another source of income.

Personally, I hate the idea of imbalanced financing of the game. How much will the game cost to maintain and grow? Round it up if you have to. Now split it up between your projected player count. Make that the monthly sub fee. If you came out with an awesome MMO that promised you could toggle off other people’s cosmetics and only charged $5-10/month more than other MMOs riddled with immersion breaking MTX, I think a lot of people would pay it.

However, this still doesn’t fix the visual quirks for those who, for whatever reason, want to use cosmetics or see other people’s cosmetics. It would still look absolutely ridiculous and unprofessional in quality to make the abilities happen without accounting for the species differences between mount and skin.
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Sengarden wrote: »

Personally I'm hoping there are mount species specific abilities for this exact reason. To add extra cheese to combat situations.

Have your sphinx skin on a spider and shoot webs to CC enemies.
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    Hinotori wrote: »

Personally I'm hoping there are mount species specific abilities for this exact reason. To add extra cheese to combat situations.

Have your sphinx skin on a spider and shoot webs to CC enemies.

Uh... sure. I guess you're correct in saying that this all being an issue is technically subjective. Personally, if that kind of thing was happening in a game I was playing, I wouldn't be able to take it seriously. It gives broke game dev energy. "Sorry guys, we need money and the only way we can do it is letting you play dress up with your vehicles, regardless of the consequences. Isn't it so funny looking?? lmao"
  • Options
    Individuated SoulIndividuated Soul Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would like to see some content that would require specific mounts to traverse a terrain to some hidden content, or raid. Breeding variants would be an interesting implementation and could flesh out that system.
  • Options
    BeavertailzBeavertailz Member
    edited April 14
    I would be curious if the mounts would be able to have "saddlebags" to help us carry more stuff then just our inventory. IE, different mounts could have different sized bags. The bigger the mount, the bigger the carrying capacity. There be some mounts that can "swim" faster than others? I agree with other posters here, that some mounts are better for different terrain than others.
  • Options
    -T0Mb--T0Mb- Member
    I would love to see chameleon mounts having a skill to loot enemy corpses from distance by their tongue :tongue:
  • Options
    -T0Mb- wrote: »
    I would love to see chameleon mounts having a skill to loot enemy corpses from distance by their tongue :tongue:

Now i have to think of the Yoshi-Sound with the Tongue ... ... :D
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    I would like a classic combat horse with charge abilitys potentially even stronger when you have a spear equipped.
    Gliding mounts with air abilitys like droppig a bomb or a fireball.
    water mounts with water abilitys. Strong water mounts could potentially change tides in an area for some time allowing you to travel faster with your caravans etc.
    Magical mounts with ranged abilitys and aoes.
    Mounts that apply status aeffects like poison or tripped etc.
    For the empyre !!!
  • Options
    -T0Mb--T0Mb- Member
    Aszkalon wrote: »

Now i have to think of the Yoshi-Sound with the Tongue ... ... :D

Imagine a dwarf with thick mustache riding a green chameleon mount. :wink:
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Speaking of dwarves, I would not mind interactions between player race and different mounts. For example, mountain goats having extra speed when ridden by dwarves in mountains, mole rat mounts having extra speed when ridden underground by tulnar, flying mounts being slightly faster when ridden by small/light races and slower if ridden by heavy ones.

Additionally, as implied in some of the posts above, I would enjoy interactions between some mounts and player skills and abilities. A possible example might be slightly stronger heals when riding a unicorn or stronger slashing type attacks when riding a bear or even increased power in distance~poisen attacks if you are riding a skunk...though perhaps the skunk itself should have a debuff on nearby foes (maybe against friends, too!). Ride a porcupine for added power in piercing attacks and the porcupine might also give some auto-attack against close ranged foes. A turtle mount could add defense against archers' skills.

If such attacks had to be developed through the breeding profession and were only discoverable in-game, wouldn't that be delightful?
  • Options
    Imagine a dwarf with thick mustache riding a green chameleon mount. :wink:

Plus a red Outfit to mimic and cosplay Mario's Outfit a bit. :D

I am aware Ashes will never be Final Fantasy where People have a HUUGE Variety on how they can let their Characters look like for Example 2B from Nier Automata, or Vin Diesel, or Akemi Homura from the Anime Madoka Magica, or Yuna from Final Fantasy, or the Princess Sisters from Elsa, Frozen. etc etc.

But how far can we take the Cosplay-Level of your Characters ? And how did i arrive at writing this in a Topic centered around Mount Abilities ? :D
    a50whcz343yn.png