Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Name Loss

I would not like to lose my game nickname when crossing servers. Developers, if you read this topic, please think about how you can do without changing the nickname when the server merges.

Comments

• Options
    Finov wrote: »
    I would not like to lose my game nickname when crossing servers. Developers, if you read this topic, please think about how you can do without changing the nickname when the server merges.

Could be that You " must write your Name anew " in Case someone else on a merged Server already made the same Name before You.

Wasn't it like this in World of WoW-Token Craft ?
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    There are no current plans for server transfers, so you could just make characters with your name on all potential server you'd wanna play on right at the start :)
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Server_transfers
  • Options
    Have always preferred that a name be universal, in a game; Let it be your name, that no other can copy it, and defame you.

• Options
    This sounds like a good moment to implement the family name and marriage system.
    Example;

Name: Elfis
    Familyname: Highreach
    Race: Empyrean

This way there are more combinations possible to avoid nameloss.
    And also more RP and "cosplay" possibilities, or easteregg like names from other franchises that a player can adopt just for lulz.
    Can't wait to see "Kaelthas Sunstrider" the Empyrean. :smirk:

Matching familynames with dozens of other players will be an inevitability but hey... not like this is not mirroring reality and by that immersion as well.
    6h4yddoh6t31.jpg
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Have always preferred that a name be universal, in a game; Let it be your name, that no other can copy it, and defame you.

I'm not a huge fan of this, as it divides the number of available names by the number of servers. This leads to stupider names.

Names with a server merger (anything with a server merger, really) are one of those things where there is just no good solution. That said, I would rather two people on different servers both have the name they want for multiple years, and then find a reaolution when the servers need to merge over only one of these people ever having the name they want.

One potential solution is setting up a system where players in a naming conflict are given the option to elect to change their name in return for a cosmetic pack of some description, or perhaps some tax credits - basically give them both an incentive to opt to change their name before anything is forced.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    They have already addressed "name camping" like some sort of "land rush" that has been seen in other games. The quotes are that "the developers intend to implement character creation throttles at launch to manage server populations" <paraphrasing> What I have interpreted that to mean is that you will be able to create a few characters on a couple different servers, or even just on one server for the "launch" of the game until Intrepid loosens those restrictions. Previous games where you spend time logging in, creating "placeholder name" characters and then never playing on those servers just to lock them in would not be a thing. They went to the trouble of selling people name reservation in various packages, you can bet the issue has been brought up to them, and they are well aware of the issue.

The developers intend to carefully manage server populations via the use of character creation throttles to avoid the need to merge servers.[3][4]
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Server_transfers
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    I'm not a huge fan of this, as it divides the number of available names by the number of servers. This leads to stupider names.

I cannot remember a single instance in an MMO I once played in which a name made a player worthy to be remembered for more than a glance.
    Actions speak louder than words and even than names.

Personally I don't care if I see two people stand beside each other
    " Galadriel Undomiel (Server: Hugo) "
    " Galadriel Undomiel (Server: Klaus) "

... or ...

" Kratos(Name) Sparta(Familyname) "
    " Kratos(Name) Olympian(Familyname) "

Either way we will see stupid combinations, standalone or with familyname.
    You can't defeat the stupidity. :smirk: You try to defeat human nature if you do.
    6h4yddoh6t31.jpg
  • Options
    PyrololPyrolol Member
    3uyut9anxpju.gif
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png