Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Adjustable darkness?

Potato BasketPotato Basket Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited May 9 in General Discussion
8ykf9w2vysm9.jpg

So apparently we're going to be able to adjust the amount of darkness ourselves?

Not sure how I feel about that.

To elaborate:

It seems like Intrepid's comment hints at a broader range of adjustments beyond just gamma and brightness, possibly involving in-game lighting. This could introduce an uneven playing field where players need to tweak settings to stay competitive. The concern echoes discussions about players adjusting monitors for advantages, now compounded by internal factors like manipulating in-game darkness through lighting adjustments. What troubles me is the shift from a level playing field with preset darkness to a dynamic one, which feels like a loose approach to fairness.

Comments

• Options
    OtrOtr Member
    edited May 9

I'm not sure how I feel about you not feeling sure.
    So we might be on the same side :)
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 9
    its called gama settings grampa, most modern games have this first thing when you boot the game,
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    8ykf9w2vysm9.jpg

So apparently we're going to be able to adjust the amount of darkness ourselves?

Not sure how you feel about people wanting to play the game without headaches? I guess that says more about you than it does about adjustable darkness itself.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    It seems like Intrepid's comment hints at a broader range of adjustments beyond just gamma and brightness, possibly involving in-game lighting. This could introduce an uneven playing field where players need to tweak settings to stay competitive. The concern echoes discussions about players adjusting monitors for advantages, now compounded by internal factors like manipulating in-game darkness through lighting adjustments. What troubles me is the shift from a level playing field with preset darkness to a dynamic one, which feels like a loose approach to fairness.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Tweaking the settings to advantage pvp is a valid concern. Though this is obvious territory for A2/B1 testing to mitigate.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    GithalGithal Member

To elaborate:

Intrepid's idea has never been to restrict vision in the dark. Its MMO. not survival game. The default settings will have everything visible on the terrain, and all mobs/players in the area. Maybe if you tweak the darkness to make it darker than default you may get the "dark enough to be unable to see", but There should be no gameplay difference between the optimal/default settings and if user tweak it to be brighter
  • Options
    patrick68794patrick68794 Member
    edited May 9
    Githal wrote: »

To elaborate:

Intrepid's idea has never been to restrict vision in the dark. Its MMO. not survival game. The default settings will have everything visible on the terrain, and all mobs/players in the area. Maybe if you tweak the darkness to make it darker than default you may get the "dark enough to be unable to see", but There should be no gameplay difference between the optimal/default settings and if user tweak it to be brighter

Yeah, what they showed was still too bright in my opinion. I get that night on Verra won't be as dark as on Earth due to the proximity, and number, of the moons but it just looked like daytime with a bluish tint to it for the most part.
  • Options
    Githal wrote: »

To elaborate:

Yeah, what they showed was still too bright in my opinion. I get that night on Verra won't be as dark as on Earth due to the proximity, and number, of the moons but it just looked like daytime with a bluish tint to it for the most part.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, was thinking exactly the same.