XP punishment

MrBearysMrBearys Member
edited August 24 in General Discussion
Good after noon Intrepid design team,
I wanted to ask if there was any intention of getting rid of the XP punishment for pve. I personally feel bad in any game that punishes me on top of me already dying.

Comments

• Have you been playing pre-Alpha2? Or are you talking about other games that had XP penalty on death?

Steven wants to have dangers related to pve. If death brings no risk - there's no danger.
  • DodozDodoz Member
    I personally like it, as long as there won't be any server issues causing deaths. Brings me back to games like Tibia, which is what I was originally hoping to see from Ashes years back, but in 3D with a plethora of other systems. Except there, you'd also lose your backpack and some of your equipment which could be stolen by anyone that loots your body. Sometimes a death would make you lose weeks of progress. I think you should be punished for not being safe, at least a little bit. Keep it mind, it wouldn't be just you "suffering" from it when it happens, so it's equal playfield nonetheless.

Perhaps, have the penalty for PvE deaths be a good bit lower than PvP to not discourage players like you? Maybe have some sort of penalty-free death system that replenishes over time so you could die without consequences in PvE once every certain amount of hours?
  • I have a deep hatred for exp loss on death ingrained in me from path of exile high level deaths. However, that does not mean I want them to remove it from here or there. This is one of those needed downsides to death that is the next step down from losing all your gear imo.
    You are losing time invested in the character and depending on how long it takes to level, that could mean foster a mentality of doing whatever it takes to survive. And that is a good thing to have.
    8vf24h7y7lio.jpg
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    MrBearys wrote: »
    I wanted to ask if there was any intention of getting rid of the XP punishment for pve. I personally feel bad in any game that punishes me on top of me already dying.
    LMAO
    What should the penalties for DYING be if not permadeath??

• TaerrikTaerrik Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Losing XP + Dropping some loot
    It feels severe maybe to other games, but its there to influence player decisions. To play safer.

Or rather, how often do you really plan on dying?
  • tinukedatinukeda Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Some penalty is ok, just as long as it's not too brutal XD
  • YohYoh Member
    I'm generally for a death penalty, teaches you to play smart and not throw bodies at a problem.
    For PvE, I think it's fine just to lose maybe a hour or two of progress, maybe some crafting materials, but nothing overly punitive. Sometimes you just fall to your death.

PvP, you need consequences. And scaling up until you lose your shirt, sounds like the right idea.
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 25
    No xp penalty in dying then can see players using death as fast travel by purposely dying to mobs near zone edges to respawn back in town rather than make the journey.

Mind you, if the penalty is not high enough, that may still happen.
  • NikbisNikbis Member
    Dygz wrote: »
    MrBearys wrote: »
    LMAO
    What should the penalties for DYING be if not permadeath??

Awww, dude. You've been here for so long.
    *stretches an arm around your shoulders*
    You know what kind of punishment could be applied.
    Death penalites can take so many forms. A whole world of punishments, actually.

Full loot.
    XP loss.

Lots of drastic measures could be applied. None of them would satisfy both parties.
    We don't wan't that. Too arsh. Terribly bad.
    Any new player would desert such game if they were so severly punished, on their first hours.
    To loose anything they yield on death? And a whole XP bar on top???

AoC is labeled as a political RPG. How can such game could exisit without counter-power?
    Whoever else but pirates could be taken into account as a counter-power?

To me, in a "new-world", renegades should be heard.

Regular citizens bet on a node, they invest on nodes as we know.

But pirates, renegades, should be able to build in-between nodes. Whoever they want (prefac buildings).
    Barely more than shakes, really. As long as they coordinate. They can build temporary wooden cities (with a 3day cooldown where they need to individualy refresh so the whole thing don't crumble).

Centralised power VS disorganised opposition.

In such scenario, I expect lawless players to be at a disaventage. And they should be punished. But they still could try. They could adapt and build a counter-power.
    A temporary one, but still. One where a centralized power could organize, raid and destabilize such emergent power.

Alright, that is my major grip on the current node/pirate system.
    A true counter-power should allow allow organized players to destabilize the power in place, with maluses.
    Let lawless players to build shackes to organize themselves, and lawles playes to destroy them IN THE NAME OF ORDER.

If anything, I'm a true neutral. Let the world burn and see what comes afterward :D
    If I had to keep only one song, it would be this one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCF2pson54s
  • NikbisNikbis Member
    I'll add.
    To me, it is one of the major flaw of this game.
    Lawless players needs their shelter. They shose to act bad and should be able to organize. Even if, poorly.
    A precarious one, where they should feel threatened by any player they could come across.
    I shouldn't be one of them.
    I would be tracking them.
    Yet I would agreeing with 'em.
    Until the couperet fall into the neck.

Farewell, we were apart of the blade.
    If I had to keep only one song, it would be this one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCF2pson54s
  • MrBearys wrote: »

You loose 3 - 4% of xp at death but don't get negative xp when you die. You get xp debt that you need to refund.
    And considering you get max level only in 45 days playing 5 hours per day, I don't think penalies on XP will be a serious problem. You will reach max level easy.
  • Think this, while I don't mind it, will hurt the game not help it.
    The Immortals
    • We Lived a Thousand Lives, United we Stand.
    • Recruitment
  • Think the death penalty needs a diminishing return and maybe a ramp up to not be terrible if the death was just bad luck or someone else’s fault. Something like a Mulligan before penalty kicks in. And as most college students realize these days there’s debt you have no hope of repaying. So I think the xp penalty needs a cap.
  • CawwCaww Member
    as long as there is no loss of level then xp debt is fine, if reasonably done...