Timestamps in forum posts

NixalNixal Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
There is a bbcode plugin for wotlab forums ( https://www.woltlab.com/pluginstore/file/7284-bbcode-unix-timestamp/?l=2 ) to create timestamps that are automatically translated to the time zone of the user viewing the post like on discord, e.g. [unixtime='1663334124','j. F Y'][/unixtime]
Would be nice to have that feature on this forum as well.

Comments

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Vanilla forums by default displays time stamps based on the users device time settings.

This only applies to posts on the same day in regards to time, however. It reverts to showing date as soon as the local time rolls past midnight.

I honestly don't see why we would need anything more than this - but feel free to give reasons if you have them.
  • NixalNixal Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 27
    It seems you are talking about timestamp of the post. I meant date and time in the text.
    BBCode is stuff you use in the text of your post e.g. [ url ], [ img ], ...

Stuff like announcements contains date and time of the next live stream, etc. https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/60067/next-livestream-q-a-submission-friday-august-30-2024-at-11am-pacific/p1
    There is a link to a date and time converter page. Would be neat to have the forum display the date and time in your local time (just like the announcements on discord).
    That would be marginally more useful, but I can't see anything that Vanilla forums has that could achieve that functionallity.
  • NixalNixal Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 27
    That has now gone from "use a plug in" to "write a plug in".

My suggestion for Intrepid would then be to perhaps suggest a plug in like this for Higher Logic to look in to. I wouldn't suggest Intrepid go down this particular rabbit hole themselves.

Keep in mind, with Discord, the communication service they offer is their entire product. With Intrepid, these forums are not even *a product*. Expecting similar features is probably not realistic.

However, asking for it is always all good.