Mega Dungeons

what level do you think should be the minimum to enter a mega dungeon?
should they be available for all level ranges?
what party sizes do you think should be for these dungeons?

I'm really excited to go dungoneering and to test it in alpha 2 I hope I get to do that as soon as Rogue becomes available.

Comments

• This is the only mega dungeon ever created and you could enter as level 1
    Ultima_Underworld_cover.png
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • KyskeiKyskei Member
    what about all the other mega dungeons?
  • Kyskei wrote: »
    what about all the other mega dungeons?

I'm just bringing up that a mega dungeon can be anything, what will Intrepid and the community want?
    I don't know because I have no idea which systems and how many systems AoC will have, we literally don't have a list with the systems the game will have in regard of populating a dungeon and it's mechanics
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    All levels.
  • KyskeiKyskei Member
    I hope they are MASSIVE complexes of traps, monsters, bosses and treasure.
  • nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I remember guk and lower guk in EQ1. Outside the dungeon and the first little bit by the entrance was low level. I don't remember, I think people were teaming there till 30 something. I still remember the way around it. This is my favorite type of dungeon.
  • KyskeiKyskei Member
    nanfoodle wrote: »
    I remember guk and lower guk in EQ1. Outside the dungeon and the first little bit by the entrance was low level. I don't remember, I think people were teaming there till 30 something. I still remember the way around it. This is my favorite type of dungeon.

I never played Everquest but that sounds great!
  • EndowedEndowed Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Upper Guk was Frog-loks to about from 20-30.
    Lower Guk was split between Frog-loks and undead Frog-loks and went from 35 to 50.

Kind of the way original WoW Blackrock Depths went 46-58+.
  • KilionKilion Member
    Overall having these mega dungeons be something you go back to again and again, reaching deeper and deeper as you level up is something pretty epic IMO. So starting with level 5 it can pretty much go up to level 50, if the dungeon itself is big enough to have that many areas.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • SunboySunboy Member
    When you get to a dungeon and is underleveled or not geared enough you get your ass whooped. You get the scope of the game. A goal to strife for. To come back and get revenge on those bastards. Gatekeeping this experience is more themepark MMO style and what i have understood, AoC is a sandbox MMO so i dont think we gonna get it.

Much love <3
  • BlipBlip Member
    Kilion wrote: »
    Overall having these mega dungeons be something you go back to again and again, reaching deeper and deeper as you level up is something pretty epic IMO. So starting with level 5 it can pretty much go up to level 50, if the dungeon itself is big enough to have that many areas.

I like that :)
  • VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited August 29
    Should be a high level range. Lets take a dungeon in Everquest for example Kurns tower (i use this one since it could be simliar to tower of carthain)
    The ground floor and 2nd floor ranged from lvl 8-15 higher floors are 12-20 and basement is lvl 20-28 and a couple fun elements of this zone was there were a few places where the floor was fake and walking over them would result in a one way trip to the basement which changing thenentire feeling of the dungeon to ohh shit where the exit out of here and ohh god challenging mobs gotta be realy carful with pulls now :P

tbh everquest 1 had some rather well designed dungeons that designed to support multiple groups they somewhat primitive with traps and things however the concept is decent just primitive since 1999 game :p would be iinteresting to see how these dungeons could be made in this day and age which tbh might be what AoC is kinda going with.
  • Kyskei wrote: »

alot of the EQ dungeons were for a wide level range https://eqatlas.ca/ (for maps if your curious) uper guck for example as above poster is level 4-25 and lower guk was 30-50

Some other dungeons like blackburrow (gnoll dungeon) were low level 5-20 for example however every X amount of time i think it was 30 minutes or something a gnol courier would spawn which was lvl 30 at the start ofthe zone and run to the commander room and despawn (would drop items for a gnoll slaying club so there were reasonto come back to farm it) this was to simulate communication between the 2 gnoll tribes in dungeons splitpaw a few zones over(lvl 26+ dungeon)with blackburrow.

Some dungeons ezits mainly higher level ones were also not next to the entrance so you had to fight ur way to the exit :P others had invisable floor pitfall traps leading to higher level parts of the dungeon.
  • KyskeiKyskei Member
    Veeshan wrote: »
    Kyskei wrote: »

alot of the EQ dungeons were for a wide level range https://eqatlas.ca/ (for maps if your curious) uper guck for example as above poster is level 4-25 and lower guk was 30-50

Some other dungeons like blackburrow (gnoll dungeon) were low level 5-20 for example however every X amount of time i think it was 30 minutes or something a gnol courier would spawn which was lvl 30 at the start ofthe zone and run to the commander room and despawn (would drop items for a gnoll slaying club so there were reasonto come back to farm it) this was to simulate communication between the 2 gnoll tribes in dungeons splitpaw a few zones over(lvl 26+ dungeon)with blackburrow.

Some dungeons ezits mainly higher level ones were also not next to the entrance so you had to fight ur way to the exit :P others had invisable floor pitfall traps leading to higher level parts of the dungeon.

that sounds dope!
  • nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter

that sounds dope!

This forum is filled with many old school MMOers that love many of the things IS is doing.
  • KyskeiKyskei Member

that sounds dope!

This forum is filled with many old school MMOers that love many of the things IS is doing.

good. those things needs doing, especially in this day and age
  • CawwCaww Member
    I'm all for mega (multi-level) dungeons but there should be some safeguards to prevent "twinking" runs that disrupt normal players from enjoying the area and not have a group come thru and destroy everything in sight repeatably.

Many people remember EQ Guk because for the longest time there were no other expansions and the player population was crammed into a just a few zones, as I remember it...
  • VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited August 30
    Caww wrote: »
    I'm all for mega (multi-level) dungeons but there should be some safeguards to prevent "twinking" runs that disrupt normal players from enjoying the area and not have a group come thru and destroy everything in sight repeatably.

Many people remember EQ Guk because for the longest time there were no other expansions and the player population was crammed into a just a few zones, as I remember it...

player funneled to certain zones mainly cause zones had XP modifiers so people chased the zone that gave most XP at the time, guk was one of those zones that had a realy high XP modifier because of how quickly things can go wrong, tight density of mobs with alot of patrols along with alot of mobs fleeing when low causing more mobs to agro. And with the maze like layout so when thing go wrong they go very wrong very quickly hence why it had more XP modifiers risk vs reward i guess (also something going wrong for one group can cause thing to go wrong in your group too due to trains depending where your group set up camp which kept people on their toes) I honostly like the train mechanics and kinda hoping mobs will pursue further in dungeons atleast, having thing reset after like 50m kinda takes alot of the danger out of things.

Guk was basicly one of the 2 hardest dungeons on antonica (Nagafen leair i think was the other), i beleive it was one of the more memorable experiences for players due to how hectic that zone could be more than anything else