Please NO Blackpowder Weapons

In the August Update Stream i think i heard you plan to implement Canons as Weapons for Ships. I beg you to reconsider! AoC is clearly set in a fantasy Universe that is on a Technological Level comparable to early to high medieval Development in our World. Canons as Blackpowder Weapons would be a Anachronism in such a world. If Technology is advanced enough to build and operate Canons here should also be other forms of Blackpowder Weapons that have ben created along them. Pistols, Rifles, Hand Canons. In our world here were plenty of Sea Battles in the about 5000 Years before Canons where a thing. So pretty please keep Canons out of the game. Catapults, Ballistas and Bows can be just as much fun!

Comments

• Naa im trying to make my blackpowder ranger in the future update.
  • Steven said even crossbows are too high tech for Ashes. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I was thinking of making the same thread. I really hope ship weapons are magic based as well. Not only would that keep the theme but could look really cool. Between partical effects and big magic weapons mounted on ships.
  • LodrigLodrig Member
    I have absolutly no problem with cannons on ships. It's just one of thouse things we mentaly compartmentalize because we want the astetics from the golden age of piracy as our navel gameply. Also in actal historical weaponry development large cannon were common LONG before handheld gunpowder weapons were common.
  • Cetun wrote: »
    In the August Update Stream i think i heard you plan to implement Canons as Weapons for Ships. I beg you to reconsider! AoC is clearly set in a fantasy Universe that is on a Technological Level comparable to early to high medieval Development in our World. Canons as Blackpowder Weapons would be a Anachronism in such a world.

They are firmly set/planned for Five to Eight Years though, or are they not ? 🤔
    a50whcz343yn.png
    ✓ Occasional Roleplayer
    ✓ Kinda starting to look for a Guild right now. (German)
    In the August Update Stream i think i heard you plan to implement Canons as Weapons for Ships. I beg you to reconsider! AoC is clearly set in a fantasy Universe that is on a Technological Level comparable to early to high medieval Development in our World. Canons as Blackpowder Weapons would be a Anachronism in such a world. If Technology is advanced enough to build and operate Canons here should also be other forms of Blackpowder Weapons that have ben created along them. Pistols, Rifles, Hand Canons. In our world here were plenty of Sea Battles in the about 5000 Years before Canons where a thing. So pretty please keep Canons out of the game. Catapults, Ballistas and Bows can be just as much fun!

I remember hearing in one of the recent streams that cannons will be powered by potions as projectile propulsion and I love this idea. You load a potion and it fires a cannonball leaving various color trace so that opponent can spot what you firing at them.

And I agree, in such game all pistols, rifles etc. won't look good at all. You can even spot a relation between demise of an MMORPG and introduction of internal combustion mounts for example.

Medieval time period began around 476AD and spanned roughly 1000 years ending between 1400 and 1450 and black powder was invented in china in around year 900 and the firelance (basicly the first firearm) was made not long after around the year 1000.
    The first cannon was made around the year 1200-1300 aswell in china and the first naval cannon was around 1300-1400.

So yeah blackpowder has been around in the medieval period of course near the tail end of that era.

But anyway back on topic
    i think cannons or a magic powder varient is a must in regard for naval combat (trebs on boats just not the same as cannon) however for land seiges i think you can just maintain the more traditional early seige weapons such as balista/trebuche/catapults/rams and so on.

Im also not against firearms coming in the future in some way or form in the form of discoving them in game via solving a huge secret that leads to a chamber in a duingeon that has a recipe for a primitive rifle for example and that starts to unlock them in the game over time for everyone else but would prefer to see crossbows first though :p