Dragon Raid Boss

Hey AOC community!

Just watched the latest live stream for August and felt the need to voice my opinion on it. Hopefully I hear what you all have to say as well.

First let me give the good, and then I will follow it up with the bad.

The boss looked great. I loved the cinematics and music score. I know some people disliked the background music, but I honestly thought it was fine. I also would like to say that the mechanics weren't half bad for an Alpha 2, level 25 raid boss. I think they could have added a couple of minor details to make the mechanics a little more engaging, but aside from that I was pleased. I guess you could also say I was a fan of the location and citadel.

As for the bad.........

Everything in this category ties into one concept, and that is "Immersion". When I play a game as largely scaled as AOC wants to be, I expect me to be immersed into the world. I understand this is Alpha, but I am here feeding my opinion in hopes that someone will hear it. Make me, the player, WANT to fight this boss. Make me REMEMBER him as I lay my sword into his belly. Make this story leading up to his final blow something I won't forget. I recently finished an ASMON video, and he hit the nail on the head. Make him talk to me in a voice over right before we battle. Bring his lore into the boss fight. (This might include more visuals). I just felt like despite the fight lasting too long, I wasn't enveloped into it. I want the excitement of going into a fight as grand as this and feeling the HYPE. To me, that just wasn't provided in the 45-minute gameplay I just witnessed. Immersion is what kept me playing World of Warcraft for 2 years straight. I had a connection to those boss battles and still remember them to this day.

Again, I completely understand it is Alpha gameplay and this is a lower-level raid boss.... But it's still a raid boss. And according to Steven, this will be an "End of Alpha 2 raid boss". I hope the community uses this discussion to voice their own opinions because world bosses and raiding are the essence of what makes MMO's the greatest genre of gaming.

Thanks.

Comments

• PaquPaqu Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't disagree with you completely but... I don't remember any bosses pre level 50 in classic wow.... or EQ or any dungeons or mobs in Final fantasy online.... or guild wars or well I think you get my meaning. I think people are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to unfair to this game. We act like it should be on par with a triple A team with blizz like cinematics and they are just not that team. They are good but they don't have the man power or budget to give people what they want. NOW with that being said they are not above criticism by any means, and I have been critical in the past. I think people need to temper their expectations a little and let the game cook.

Side note... I'm starting to think this open development idea wasn't a good one.
  • Well everyone has different needs for immersion, i think. For me I don't need a boss to talk or have significantly good lore to be immersive, what i remember are epic fights, the people I did it with and often a reward someone or I get, I remember killing Valakas in Lineage 2 and getting his legendary raid boss drop, the amazing "Necklace Of Valakas" I remember killing Tequatl the Sunless and getting an Ascended Weapon Box drop, I remember my guilds reaction, and how much fun we had. And when the fights are epic and taking down this HUGE monster of a boss, which can fully be left to be, just that- a monster, there is no need to give it a voice. But ofc that is just me, and everyone has different wants and needs, I am sure there will be a great variety of content and a bit for everyone :)
    Lineage 2 • Guild Wars • Guild Wars 2 • World of Warcraft • Elder Scrolls Online
  • Most likely you won't fight that boss only once. You will go for him regularly... So which fight must be epic? The very first one? And how then next boss farm should differ?
  • MirroMirro Member
    A Raidboss first try, realy? When the whole Raids are so simple and easy then good night... a non-rehearsed 40 Player Raid, Gearscore idk... have minimum a few trys to lay down the Boss. They know nothing about the boss or the adds, so... what was that? A Demonstration how easy Raidbosses in AoC are?
  • 100% sure difficulty was adjusted. They wanted to demo successful boss fight, not multiple raid wipes
  • Mirro wrote: »
    A Raidboss first try, realy? When the whole Raids are so simple and easy then good night... a non-rehearsed 40 Player Raid, Gearscore idk... have minimum a few trys to lay down the Boss. They know nothing about the boss or the adds, so... what was that? A Demonstration how easy Raidbosses in AoC are?

It was so easy Steven had to turn on cheats for god mod and infinite rez the team.
  • Mag7spy wrote: »
    It was so easy Steven had to turn on cheats for god mod and infinite rez the team.
    This had nothing to do with them surviving the battle. Here's an example of what made them win
    m2e20x4bkt12.png
    vt2vw7jgakem.png
    This had nothing to do with them surviving the battle. Here's an example of what made them win
    m2e20x4bkt12.png
    vt2vw7jgakem.png

There is no way you are telling me infinite res + healing and mana doesn't' help them win, and defend someone saying about the raid being done in the first try as if this was their only recording...
    There is no way you are telling me infinite res + healing and mana doesn't' help them win, and defend someone saying about the raid being done in the first try as if this was their only recording...
    A small rez of 25% hp/mana or a small heal here and there are nothing compared to "I stand up pretty much right next to the boss with full mana and hp".

We don't know about how many recordings they did, but from a quick rewatch it seemed to have been a full singular encounter (though I'd need to properly rewatch to know for sure).

And the boss would've be beaten on first try if it was attempted by properly built parties, with properly built characters, by properly skilled players. And imo, none of that was true in this fight, which is why they needed those GM powers (or potentially a GM-powered respawn location) to win.

I've just seen several people say "oh, they won cause Steven had endless hp, so he could rez them", but his impact was at most a few % of the raid's overall power, if that. I'd need to pay close attention to his rezzes and their follow-ups to know for sure, but I got Genshin to clear and I've already spent 2 hours chatting about Ashes in different places, so maybe later :D
    A small rez of 25% hp/mana or a small heal here and there are nothing compared to "I stand up pretty much right next to the boss with full mana and hp".

We don't know about how many recordings they did, but from a quick rewatch it seemed to have been a full singular encounter (though I'd need to properly rewatch to know for sure).

And the boss would've be beaten on first try if it was attempted by properly built parties, with properly built characters, by properly skilled players. And imo, none of that was true in this fight, which is why they needed those GM powers (or potentially a GM-powered respawn location) to win.

I've just seen several people say "oh, they won cause Steven had endless hp, so he could rez them", but his impact was at most a few % of the raid's overall power, if that. I'd need to pay close attention to his rezzes and their follow-ups to know for sure, but I got Genshin to clear and I've already spent 2 hours chatting about Ashes in different places, so maybe later :D

Ya but healing is broken in this game atm, if they get up with 25% he brings them to full pretty quickly on top of that because of heal spam.

Which is why i think its interesting if people think this is also too easy, or sayin things like boss needs to one shot people. The whole issue is healing is overturned right now which makes all the difficulty lower in the game.
  • Mirro wrote: »

Keep in mind, like in Lineage 2, its VERY possible that another party/raid might start killing other players and therefor start a massive PvP fight..
    Lineage 2 • Guild Wars • Guild Wars 2 • World of Warcraft • Elder Scrolls Online
  • From interviews with the PI folks there was not a dry run of this fight.

Keep in mind they are still not optimized and Steven’s god mode doesn’t help show the difficulty. I get they want to show a successful raid Boss fight, but a first attempt should be a wipe IMHO. Otherwise it gives the impression it’s too easy or boring.
  • I think was great and looked really good for being an early alpha!!! What I would like them to introduce was that the fire that is sprayed on the ground, stays burning! not on water, but on the ground around! Then they will also be a moment for the players to start thinking about new strategies, becase you cant stand in fire for to long. Maybe it will be too difficult a fight then?.

t will be fun to test the game later this fall! going to buy the Alpha for $120! =) best regards Zirago!
  • Wraithbane wrote: »
    Hey AOC community!

Just watched the latest live stream for August and felt the need to voice my opinion on it. Hopefully I hear what you all have to say as well.

First let me give the good, and then I will follow it up with the bad.

The boss looked great. I loved the cinematics and music score. I know some people disliked the background music, but I honestly thought it was fine. I also would like to say that the mechanics weren't half bad for an Alpha 2, level 25 raid boss. I think they could have added a couple of minor details to make the mechanics a little more engaging, but aside from that I was pleased. I guess you could also say I was a fan of the location and citadel.

As for the bad.........

Everything in this category ties into one concept, and that is "Immersion". When I play a game as largely scaled as AOC wants to be, I expect me to be immersed into the world. I understand this is Alpha, but I am here feeding my opinion in hopes that someone will hear it. Make me, the player, WANT to fight this boss. Make me REMEMBER him as I lay my sword into his belly. Make this story leading up to his final blow something I won't forget. I recently finished an ASMON video, and he hit the nail on the head. Make him talk to me in a voice over right before we battle. Bring his lore into the boss fight. (This might include more visuals). I just felt like despite the fight lasting too long, I wasn't enveloped into it. I want the excitement of going into a fight as grand as this and feeling the HYPE. To me, that just wasn't provided in the 45-minute gameplay I just witnessed. Immersion is what kept me playing World of Warcraft for 2 years straight. I had a connection to those boss battles and still remember them to this day.

Again, I completely understand it is Alpha gameplay and this is a lower-level raid boss.... But it's still a raid boss. And according to Steven, this will be an "End of Alpha 2 raid boss". I hope the community uses this discussion to voice their own opinions because world bosses and raiding are the essence of what makes MMO's the greatest genre of gaming.

Thanks.

bruh, they were just showcasing a fight...not a full storyline or whatever. lore is being kept secret until release.

also, I loved the music. the loop was too short IMO tho.