Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Concern

Just still soaking up all the info. I have two questions or little concerns that i appreciate you can enlighten me on.

A. I am this casual player minding my PvE business and have a farm somewhere with cows and producing some green cheese. I spend six months on building it. Can/will it be destroyed and in what situations?

B. This "get on the bandwagon"  principle worries me a little. Once the server and strongest guild/alliances have settled on the server the Five metropoles will be established and never change anymore because of this principle. that would mean some content will not be playeble on this server. And might get some server hopping of players and guild. What are your taughts on this. it looks all nice on paper and plans but the reality of gameplay is always different and not tested in most alpha and betas.

Comments

• Options
    If the node that your farm is in is destroyed, you will have to move your freehold. 

I'm sure towns will get to the point where they are too populated to sustain and people are forced to move to other nodes.
  • Options
    A. You're Freehold can be 'destroyed' but devs are working on a 'save' template option so that you can save the layout of your freehold and relocated. However progression will be lost. The point of Ashes is that -if you love your freehold you'll do whatever you can to defend your node - whether that's making sure the citizens of your node have enough food buffs and gear or actually participating the node defence battle- it is up to you.

B. Metropolis cities will be harder to maintain and may not necessarily be guild lead. There will be a player made government for each node and citizens of the node are able to vote for those that stand up for an election (poor uk will be tired of this by release if anyone gets that joke lol). If you can't maintain the demands of a metropolis city then it will naturally collapse but you'll find that indeed each server will be different. Steven is also a guild fan so the possibility of Zerg guilds taking over servers will be unlikely or greatly reduced with the detailed guild system we will have. It is true however alpha and beta tests will allow us to see for ourselves how the node system will pan out in reality ^^
  • Options
    Yes, your freehold can be destroyed.  I'm not certain of the exact circumstances, but I think it would only be if a siege is declared on your neighboring town/city node.  But I may be incorrect on that part.  On the positive side, the devs have said that the stuff in your freehold won't be destroyed and you can save a template so you can quickly place everything again when you reestablish your freehold.

Your first point actually answers your second, sort of.  Metropolises can also be sieged and destroyed.  This will be a major part of preventing the world from becoming stagnant.  People who want to play content that is blocked by the presence of a metropolis will have to band together and bring it down so they can then develop the node of their choice.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Hmm. Nice answers. I still see for both situations the downfall of unpopulair and underpopulated nodes/races area's. And immigrations to "big" node area's. Which gives a possibility of "selling" your "spots" for big real life money. Lol.
    I am maybe a bit too early to worry. But as i played all MMO since Ultima Online i can see things.... with a purple eye ...

And Scotland is always welcome in the EU. @Diura

@Possum Yes but my point is also that once the big Five metropoles/ Big populated area's are established they will not be attacked nor is there a chance when attacked to get them down because of "get on the bandwagon principle".

Darn i need Alpha fast ....
  • Options
    Friesian said:
    Hmm. Nice answers. I still see for both situations the downfall of unpopulair and underpopulated nodes/races area's. And immigrations to "big" node area's. Which gives a possibility of "selling" your "spots" for big real life money. Lol.
    I am maybe a bit too early to worry. But as i played all MMO since Ultima Online i can see things.... with a purple eye ...

And Scotland is always welcome in the EU.
    I agree but it's  all part of the risk/reward play that the devs want. You might find aswell that players that have in node apartments within metros can't afford it anymore so leave for a new node etc so the upkeep of a metropolis might be failing but neighboruing nodes start doing well.
    Aswell nodes merchandise and product being sold will mostly be localised products so the need for a metro might decay over time if resources in another area are more desirable than the one the metropolis offers at the moment.
    There are lots of possibilities but our understanding of how it will work will deepen when we actually get gametime :D 
    EU ❤️
  • Options
    Friesian said:

Darn i need Alpha fast ....
    Sometimes its the only way to see what is happening and how to plan when the game is finally released. Hence I need a Alpha as well.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I suppose you could insure your freehold, similar to EVE and ELITE and ship insurance.

But I am curious as to how the whole "freehold" defence will work, what happens if I'm away on my annual 2 week holiday and return to find my freehold gone?

And yes I do wonder if we'll get 4 or 5 large guilds controlling everything, BDO's gone that way.  Will the peasants (players) be able to rise up and destroy the City?
  • Options

Other players can destroy your house.

Player housing is only attackable if the node owner loses in a siege, and then only if the housing is within that zone of influence. Items inside of the housing will be retained on the account of the original housing owner.

If a node falls while you’ve been off for a bit, will you lose everything related to that node?

You will maintain your personal designs and decor, but if the node falls, the in-node assets will disappear, and the zone housing will be susceptible to attack/removal.  You may then find a new home and lay down your recovered designs/decor.

If you find your home under attack you can try to call others to your aid.  If you know you are going to be away for a while, you might want to ask or to hire others to keep an eye on things for you.

Keeping Metropolis's maintained is going to be quite and endeavor. 

• Options
    @Friesian

While others have answered the question, I think it would be better to take a step back and realize that the game is in pre-alpha and anything stated by the developers is not how the game actually works but how they think it might work.

A lot of people are taking what the devs as gospel which means there will be many many disappointed when changes are made due to game play implementation or just design shift.
  • Options
    Hatchet said:
    @Friesian

While others have answered the question, I think it would be better to take a step back and realize that the game is in pre-alpha and anything stated by the developers is not how the game actually works but how they think it might work.

A lot of people are taking what the devs as gospel which means there will be many many disappointed when changes are made due to game play implementation or just design shift.
    I agree with what your saying but IMO it's still equally important to pass on what devs are saying. We're all very aware that what is being said now may change down the line and for us it's important that when information changes and becomes available we make sure that everyone is updated and kept on the right track :)
  • Options
    All we can do at the moment is discuss the game design.

There's a one or two hour window during which a Freehold can be attacked and possibly "destroyed" after a successful siege.

We only have to delevel a Metropolis back down to Stage 5 in order to allow a different node Stage 5 node to become a Metropolis. All kinds of reasons that players will choose to make alliances to delevel a Metropolis:
    Might be that enough players hate fast travel enough that they don't want any Science nodes to reach Stage 6.
    A Divine Metropolis might decide they should be the only Divine Metropolis on the server or that only their god should have Divine Metropolises.
    The server may decide that the government running the Trade Metropolis is too corrupt and having a negative effect on global economy.

• Options
    @Hatchet yup. i agree

hence the reason i like to discuss these things. better be part of alpha to give good feedbacks on these issues i saw in so many other mmo games.

Nice thread. Good input all.

• Options
    This is why m going to sleep and live in a pub.
  • Options
    I had this discussion with someone, first of all, the top guilds will never have all metro's, if they do there the only ones on a dead server and whats the point of that?

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Friesian said:"
    Just still soaking up all the info. I have two questions or little concerns that i appreciate you can enlighten me on.

A. I am this casual player minding my PvE business and have a farm somewhere with cows and producing some green cheese. I spend six months on building it. Can/will it be destroyed and in what situations?

Currently, there are 3 types of Housing - HouseHold, Apartment-Housing and FreeHold. I'd assume this " Farm " is a FreeHold ? If the Metropolis ( or Node ) is Destroyed, then the HouseHold & Apartment-Housing is gone too. But I don't recall the FreeHold having any ties to the Node - it should remain i think ?

I'd recommend to YouTube and re-watch their Node System Part 1 & 2
    (think it was in Part 2 ?)

Friesian said:
    B. This "get on the bandwagon"  principle worries me a little. Once the server and strongest guild/alliances have settled on the server the Five metropoles will be established and never change anymore because of this principle. that would mean some content will not be playeble on this server. And might get some server hopping of players and guild. What are your taughts on this. it looks all nice on paper and plans but the reality of gameplay is always different and not tested in most alpha and betas.

Thats the interesting part about this MMO - those ... " Allied-Guilds " are never definite - they could have their own agendas. In addition, a bunch of Small groups can Team-Up and attempt to Overthrow the Leadership - and it doesn't have to be Sieges either.
    (Although it'll be " ideal-ish ") In addition, they Plan to implement a ...
     " Politician-like Mechanic "

In other words, there are too many Variables to consider

Lets say ... some " Small Guilds " does not like what the other " Big Guilds " are doing. The Small Guilds of within One Node tries to Overthrow the Bigger Guilds in Control. Lets assume the Small Guilds lose this ... " Siege " ( or Challenge ).

Then ... those Small Guilds ask for help from other Nodes ... Eventually, they find help from Node C, but they won't help unless they also get something out of this - perhaps the Node's " Residents " doesn't like the Trading that their Node A is doing with Node B. As such, the " Helpers " , from Node C, wants to Trade more often between the Two Nodes ( A & C ), as opposed to before (Node A & B )

(Assuming that the Small Guilds succeeds )

but this in itself is kinda of a Linear-View. All the while, another Small Group of Players might be scheming the same thing - and these Players might not have a Node Citizenship - they might be Nomads / " Pirates " / Outlaws ". Even so, other Players will be doing a Variety of Activities - such as Farming, Crafting, Quests, Exploring ...and you might find some PKers along the way. In addition to the Bounty System ... it'll be so much going on ... I doubt that things would be so simple. Plus, they'll be some activities happening Underground too - especially with the New Addition of the "Tulnar" Race.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @Eragale :p Great post

A. Yes freehold out of town. If its independent then its not that bad. Me happy. Only those spots are , as far as i know, not for all. So the happy few first (10.000 ?). Those other housings at node i get. Dunno yet if a farm/ranch i spossible in an appartment (lol) or city.

B. Yes. Its a wait and see. Lot depends on community also. What type of players it attracts. (oh my english is bad). But i have seen so many games "settle" in the second year and on. So i hope there are mechanics in place.
    An easy option would be that once a lvl 6 metropolis was in charge for 3 months it auto degrades to lvl 4 ...rofl.. opening up possibilities.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    @Friesian , I also left out some other parts too 
    ( would have been too long >~<)

The new Trading would affect both the Node A & C's Economy - it (should) affect what goods can be bought, what can be learned, and affect " item value ". It also create a ... "chain reaction" to other " Trading Partners ". And those ..."now-overthrown" Big Guilds might try to make a ...  " Blockade of  Caravans Trade Routes "   or something.

( Rewinding back ... )

those Small Groups might find many Obstacles upon trying to seek help from other Guilds from other Nodes. Or seek help from Travelers that they meet

So much so ... if Intrepid does this right ( I'm certain that they will ) ... then the Activity will be equally as Bustling-&-Sporadic as RuneScape.
    (just no Botting :\ )

In short, Intrepid wants everything to be Well-Connected & have Meaning.
    As you say, We'll wait and see (: 3)
  • Options
    Heheh. Trading and caravans and peoples economy driven opens another concern of mine lol.. Hope to get more info's next months hehehe.