Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

So evil...

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited August 2017 in The Newly Arrived
Greetings, one and all!

Yes, indeed, evil. ;P - Gaming has been part of my life since Pac-Man (at 20c a game) and Mario Bros (as many times as I want, for free?? =D), and then of course PC games came along. King's Quest, SimFarm, Doom... 

But my first MMO experience was a text-based MUD called MUME (Multi-Users in Middle Earth) which basically stole 2-3 years of my life when I really needed my life, lol (last year of school, and the two years after it). So when WoW came out, I made the conscious decision to stay far, far away from it. I swear I've never even seen video footage of the game.

So it is with much trepidation and great excitement that I am considering investing in this game. I've been browsing the forums and it seems like the community is primed to be awesome. And gods, I hope the developers Get It Right, in terms of implementing the vision they've described.

Nice to meet you all and looking forward to future interactions...
Jody

P.S. Any advice on the best ways to get involved? Besides of course contributing to the Kickstarter.

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2017
    It always amazes me how many MMO's people play that I have never even heard of... However, I would encourage you to embrace the evil within Ashes of Creation. It seems as though it is going to be something incredible, so, join the hype train!
    There are various guilds that you can join,  https://discord.gg/GC628w this is a link to the official ashes discord and obviously keeping up to date with the forums is a great way! They also stream on twitch.tv/ashesofcreation (not sure what their schedule is though) and the shows are posted if you miss them! Also, they have a snapchat which I'm pretty sure is just 'AshesofCreation', there they post little videos of designs they are working on. 

But, allow me to be the first to give you a warm welcome to the wonder Ashes of Creation Community!

P.S this is my 100th comment, hype guys!!!!! 
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    WoW was such a life sucker, you are lucky that you managed to avoid it :D 

Best way to get involved is to be active here in the forums and on Discord. There's not much else to do and the launch is still far away... But anyways,  welcome to the community!

@Zid congratz on your 100th comment!
  • Options
    Welcome to the community @Mandelsage, I am glad you decided to join the glorious Ashes community! Hopefully you are here for the long haul!
  • Options
    Heyo,

I can relate to that. :) 

hope to see you on the discord: https://discord.gg/AshesOfCreation

-tug
  • Options
    King's Quest, Doom... ahh the memories! Huge warm/evil welcome @Mandelsage you are amongst friends :)
  • Options
    Hello @Mandelsage o/ and welcome to the community smile
  • Options
    Welcome @Mandelsage! Great to see another video game vet join the Ashes ranks!
  • Options
    Greetings, one and all!

Yes, indeed, evil. ;P - Gaming has been part of my life since Pac-Man (at 20c a game) and Mario Bros (as many times as I want, for free?? =D), and then of course PC games came along. King's Quest, SimFarm, Doom... 

But my first MMO experience was a text-based MUD called MUME (Multi-Users in Middle Earth) which basically stole 2-3 years of my life when I really needed my life, lol (last year of school, and the two years after it). So when WoW came out, I made the conscious decision to stay far, far away from it. I swear I've never even seen video footage of the game.

So it is with much trepidation and great excitement that I am considering investing in this game. I've been browsing the forums and it seems like the community is primed to be awesome. And gods, I hope the developers Get It Right, in terms of implementing the vision they've described.

Nice to meet you all and looking forward to future interactions...
    Jody

P.S. Any advice on the best ways to get involved? Besides of course contributing to the Kickstarter.
    Hello and and a very warm welcome to the Ashes Community <3
  • Options
    Welcome welcome to the community of AoC XD 
    Middle Earth, interesting :smiley:
  • Options
    Welcome @Mandelsage! I have been a gamer since the 70's aslo! Space Firebird was my first obsession, followed by Karate Champ and then all the Street Fighters. Home systems started with the original pong and Atari 2600. My first games I played on a computer were Karateka and Castle Wolfenstein. I first played a MMORPG at a friends house Meridian 59, I never bought it but I hung out at his place on weekends and we drank brews and played. Was the first time I set up a lan party also. Good times, worked as a computer tech so I had all PC tech friends. 

Glad to see a OG (Original Gamer) here! Ashes of Creation is going to be awesome! 
  • Options
    Welcome to the community!!!
  • Options
    Hi there @Mandelsage, and it's great you're with us....

'...P.S. Any advice on the best ways to get involved? Besides of course contributing to the Kickstarter...'
    Er, well, that's not still possible (unless you did that prior to posting here - while it was still available?). But if it's not then there may be a further Sale of sorts - keep your eye out.
    Another MMO Expert joins the team! Welcome!
  • Options
    Welcome the community @Mandelsage and this will be my first MMO experience, at the moment I am playing BDO and enjoying it! I can't wait till the game is released but have to wait 2 years or so :neutral:!
  • Options
    Bienvenue @Mandelsage WoW use to be so time sucking with school and let not forget our beloved Runescape  >:)>:)
  • Options
    Thank you all for your warm, welcoming responses! Please forgive for not responding to everyone specifically... So many of you welcoming me! Not sure if I can call myself a video game Vet, as @GOAT (awesome name ;P ) called me, but yes, I have been playing games since the early 90s!

@Zid - Congrats on your 100th comment =) Indeed, there are tons of MMOs out there, one can't hope to know them all. What I love especially about text-based ones is, after a few weeks of getting accustomed, the "graphics" (i.e. your mind's eye) are incomparable to any game with actual graphics. The longing still burns strong to return to MUME but I dare not ;P ... Thank you for the useful links and especially for the invitation to your guild. As I told you, I'd like to get to know more people etc. before joining a guild.

@Rofus Thanks for the advice =) I'm going to be as active as possible. As usual, I'll need to resist jumping in with everything without prioritising my life ;P But who can resist, especially with AoC looking sooo promising!

@Mazikar Now YOU, I'd call a gamer vet for sure ;) ... (How did I forget to mention Castle Wolfenstein?? Remember the secrets within secrets? =D) ... LAN parties... Aahhh those were the days. My favourite was playing Age of Kings with 4-5 friends.

@Glosterian Not an MMO expert by far! Hehe... The text-based MUD MUME is about the extent of it. This will be a whole new experience for me. And yeah, it seems I missed the kickstarter! oh well...

Really looking forward to getting to know you all better! =) How old is everyone, btw? I'll be 33 in September.
  • Options
    @Mandelsage

Welcome to the community! I got the same feeling looking through the forums. This has to be the friendliest community of any game I have ever had an interest in. 

One can only imagine how much better it will get once we can play. 

I too hooe that their vision succesfully becomes a reality we can all experience, I haven't been this excited for a game in a very long time. 

See you around !
    -Hound
  • Options
    Really looking forward to getting to know you all better! =) How old is everyone, btw? I'll be 33 in September.
    Wow! I was 33 years old and living in Japan - when I first used a computer for the very first time. I remember thinking...'these'll never catch on!'
    Well I'll get it over with and admit to being 61 IRL! Apparently I'm not the oldest on the forum though - but the older ones have already forgotten who they are.
    The games I started with were (...ahem..) snakes and ladders; draughts and chess (not computer versions!); none of yer modern rubbish...
    Eventually in 2002 I discovered 'Morrowind' as my first ever proper computer game - I was actually looking for something hopefully more exciting than MS' 'Solitaire'!
    And     My     Whole     Life     Changed...