Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

It is done, they broke their chains... WE ARE FREE!

DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
For everyone who didnt notice:
Intrepid Studios and My.Com have parted ways.

https://discordapp.com/channels/256164085366915072/270797463907074048/746471077634637955
a6XEiIf.gif

Comments

• Options
    hell ya, i was not impressed with that company what so ever. glad they chose to part ways!
    xKMTkyZ.jpg
  • Options
    I have heard nothing but bad things about my.com and was one of the lin gering worries I had about the game. Looks like IS agrees :*
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There has been a lot of complaints about using my.com on the Ashes forums. It looks like IS listened to the community on this one :)
  • Options
    To be honest I would be surprised if someone finds this news sad xD

Ps: I am hoping we get an EU store as the prices in USD are waaay higher (Pack + Taxes + exchange)
  • Options
    Steven is the goat... For real what a hero
  • Options
    CambiguousCambiguous Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    ShoddyHealthyAnemone-size_restricted.gif
    https://gfycat.com/@Cambiguous
    Someone you otter know.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    We are finally free
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    So I guess they will try to sell Alpha 1 access to pay for their own self publishing?
  • Options
    RokoRoko Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If they do decide to reopen the sales for A1 I highly doubt that will be the reason @Jagaro
    2PXdm1m
  • Options
    Roko wrote: »
    If they do decide to reopen the sales for A1 I highly doubt that will be the reason @Jagaro

I wouldn't hold it against them.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Here’s a better link, the news article not on Discord:
    https://ashesofcreation.com/news/2020-08-21-new-adventure-awaits

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Jagaro wrote: »

They already mentioned, that Alpha 1 access returns, in case the testing capabilities allow it. Also, there is nothing to hold against them in the first place. You or any Alpha 1 holder aren't entitled to decide whether Alpha 1 is still being sold or not. Not sure where that notion would come from in the first place. They never proclaimed that it would never come back, they always mentioned, that Alpha 1 packages might make a return later down the line.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The whole my.com publishing the game was my number one problem with the game. Now the only problem I have is the lack of playable undead :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
  • Options
    NeliryaNelirya Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Oh this news is very much welcomed... Thank you so much IS, this warms my EU player heart :smiley:
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    But will IS really be able to self publish in EU for launch...

It's a good new but there maybe more other trouble now :/
  • Options
    Gimlog wrote: »
    But will IS really be able to self publish in EU for launch...

It's a good new but there maybe more other trouble now :/

I doubt they made this decision unless they knew they could handle it. There are people out there who are experienced with this kind of localization/publishing that they hopefully can find.

The game is also not coming out in a long time, so they have plenty of time to get things in order.

We'll probably hear more about it next week.
  • Options
    this was a good move, good to see they are taking matter's in their own hands. Things are different now from what they were before.
  • Options
    NelsonRebelNelsonRebel Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    My only concern is if this move delays launch for everyone.

I'm happy for our EU friends that they get to deal only with Intrepid now (once their site is up)

But I can see this decision potentially having setback and delay consequences. That would be a bad thing. People are...Skeptical these days with mmo's particularly and for good reason. I dont think a setback or delay longer than whats already happened would be very good.

A lot of people bring up star citizen, and while I know Intrepid and Stevens crews and developers are a far cry different from that catastrophe sinkhole, it still is a fair point to bring up.
  • Options

I'm happy for our EU friends that they get to deal only with Intrepid now (once their site is up)

But I can see this decision potentially having setback and delay consequences. That would be a bad thing. People are...Skeptical these days with mmo's particularly and for good reason. I dont think a setback or delay longer than whats already happened would be very good.

A lot of people bring up star citizen, and while I know Intrepid and Stevens crews and developers are a far cry different from that catastrophe sinkhole, it still is a fair point to bring up.

To be fair, even if that would be the case, most people will understand. In the end, if my.com would have messed things up, that would have also meant that AoC would get a bad rap and eventually go down the same road as many trashy MMO's out there.

At this point, since there is no release date, people wont even notice if it will be delayed for lets say another 6 months or so.
  • Options

To be fair, even if that would be the case, most people will understand. In the end, if my.com would have messed things up, that would have also meant that AoC would get a bad rap and eventually go down the same road as many trashy MMO's out there.

At this point, since there is no release date, people wont even notice if it will be delayed for lets say another 6 months or so.

A realistic counterpoint to make.

I guess it would depend on what their actual scheduled timeline is. I dont think people would be hopeful or believable if the game would be delayed by years. However if only the EU release is delayed, at least they would know the game is legit and make their determinations from there.

Delaying everyones release I think would be a bad idea if they could release where they are ready to.

We all know the EU is a complicated place to do any kind of business so its understandable for their launch date
  • Options
    EU is hard to publish in but there is still time.
    They will not publish US before EU. That would put off EU players by a lot.
    In the End they still got 1 -2 years until release.
    More then enough time to get it right.
    Also i believe that Intrepid was already checking out what they needed to do to publish them self in the EU.
    Its just that asking a publisher in the EU is a lot less work then doing it yourself.

That being said. Waiting for my.games to fail and then publishing it them self would be even worse.
    53ap2sc6pdgv.gif
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »

They already mentioned, that Alpha 1 access returns, in case the testing capabilities allow it. Also, there is nothing to hold against them in the first place. You or any Alpha 1 holder aren't entitled to decide whether Alpha 1 is still being sold or not. Not sure where that notion would come from in the first place. They never proclaimed that it would never come back, they always mentioned, that Alpha 1 packages might make a return later down the line.

I never meant anything that I said to be a negative. It's just self publishing in the EU is a costly endeavor even for Sharif.

Also I don't have access to anything just keeping an eye on this game because I see a lot of potential here.
  • Options

I've not noticed anyone mention Star Citizen but calling it a catastrophic sinkhole is like calling AoC a scam. Which there are people calling both games a scam. Though they share some similarities funny enough.
  • Options
    StevenSharifStevenSharif Moderator, Member, Staff, Avatar of the Phoenix, Kickstarter
    Hello frands,

To clarify, this decision was made with much deliberation and only after I was certain that Intrepid would be able to launch EU and NA at the same time. The task ahead is most certainly a difficult one and will require much work and commitment. But part of my compass for navigating the Intrepid ship is to listen to the players, especially when that message is clearly focused.

It’s also very important to keep in mind that this action was taken with mutual agreement from both the Intrepid side and My.Games. Too often we forget our kindness on the internet, and despite whatever history My.games may have with their previously published titles, the people at the my.games office are good people and gamers like ourselves. So while we can be happy about this development and the adventure it entails for Ashes, let’s collectively wish our friends at My.games good luck in their own journey forward and keep our attitudes positive for both parties :)
  • Options
    edited August 2020

I've not noticed anyone mention Star Citizen but calling it a catastrophic sinkhole is like calling AoC a scam. Which there are people calling both games a scam. Though they share some similarities funny enough.

Similarities yes.

Differences being the game for AoC is extremely well thought out from mechanics and designs and has showcased legitimate ingame progress for said mechanics and designs. That I've personally seen. As well as the videos of game footage that devs are constantly open about and have showcased the bad along with the good. Their stress tests showing all the raw game world completely unpolished during intitial stress phases was refreshing to see along with ingame combat mechanics tests from the BR phases.

Another big difference is the source of funding. I believe SC was entirely crowdfunded while AoC was already personally prepfunded for their roadmap to completion at the getgo. The crowd funding being a source of marketing and the additional funds from it being cosmetic and mechanic additions based on their "litmus" test to see if it was resonating with players as a conceptual game. As it was.

Progress from then til now actually exceeded my expectations. But publishing is a different beast hence my concerns.
  • Options

Similarities yes.

Differences being the game for AoC is extremely well thought out from mechanics and designs and has showcased legitimate ingame progress for said mechanics and designs. That I've personally seen. As well as the videos of game
    footage that devs are constantly open about and have showcased the bad along with the good. Their stress tests showing all the raw game world completely unpolished during intitial stress phases was refreshing to see along with ingame combat mechanics tests from the BR phases.

Another big difference is the source of funding. I believe SC was entirely crowdfunded while AoC was already personally prepfunded for their roadmap to completion at the getgo. The crowd funding being a source of markting and the additional funds from it being cosmetic and mechanic additions based on their "litmus" test to see if it was resonating with players as a conceptual game. As it was.

Progress from then til now actually exceeded my expectations. But publishing is a different beast hence my concerns.

Valid points.

I do see the importance of both games coming to fruition for gamers in general so I hope both succeed.
  • Options
    Hello frands,

To clarify, this decision was made with much deliberation and only after I was certain that Intrepid would be able to launch EU and NA at the same time. The task ahead is most certainly a difficult one and will require much work and commitment. But part of my compass for navigating the Intrepid ship is to listen to the players, especially when that message is clearly focused.

It’s also very important to keep in mind that this action was taken with mutual agreement from both the Intrepid side and My.Games. Too often we forget our kindness on the internet, and despite whatever history My.games may have with their previously published titles, the people at the my.games office are good people and gamers like ourselves. So while we can be happy about this development and the adventure it entails for Ashes, let’s collectively wish our friends at My.games good luck in their own journey forward and keep our attitudes positive for both parties :)
    ^^^

Welp I rescind my previous posts concerns, this after I had already finished typing up my other comment XD

It's good to know that the Intrepid Team is still certain they can release NA and EU at the same time!

Hopefully without too much of a delay. May have to withold a beachfront view for the second studio there lol
  • Options
    saussaus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This decision is a good one.
    A weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

It's the only thing that has actually worried me when it comes to this game.
    Intrepid made the right choice.