Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

More vibrant colors PLEASE!

Arthus DawnbreakerArthus Dawnbreaker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Currently Ashes has a color palette that is very dull. Compared to a lot of other games.
Maybe a lot of it has to do with the lighting as well.
For example: the greens in the grass are dull. I would like to see more vibrant colors and shades be introduced as well as enhance the lighting so it makes the colors pop more.

What do you al think? What games have you played that have good color, style, and lighting.

Comments

• Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Bastellon wrote: »
    Currently Ashes has a color palette that is very dull. Compared to a lot of other games.
    Maybe a lot of it has to do with the lighting as well.
    For example: the greens in the grass are dull. I would like to see more vibrant colors and shades be introduced as well as enhance the lighting so it makes the colors pop more.

What do you al think? What games have you played that have good color, style, and lighting.

What? I assume you played it, so maybe its your color settings or something? The colors were plenty vibrant for me, and certainly up there with most games.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think the colour palette of the world is intentionally muted a little so that you can divide colour space for different uses. If the grass is vibrant green then green skills are harder to see, etc.

I do think Ashes could do with greater contrast (darker blacks and shadows), to help the vibrant colours pop out more but I wonder if they have other plans up their sleeves.

Also - I didn't play much with the graphics settings when I was testing - which I kindof regret now.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    Arthus DawnbreakerArthus Dawnbreaker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nerror wrote: »
    What? I assume you played it, so maybe its your color settings or something? The colors were plenty vibrant for me, and certainly up there with most games.
    I did play it and its not my color settings. If you compare the colors from this game to others you can tell the contrast, Brightness, Exposure, and vibrancy are all lower. Especially the greens in the grass and trees. I like a nice vibrant game with a nice range of color even if its more than one shade of that one color. A lot has to do with the lighting. Compared to new world you can see the difference in the quality of the light and quality of the colors.

maouw wrote: »
    I do think Ashes could do with greater contrast (darker blacks and shadows), to help the vibrant colours pop out more but I wonder if they have other plans up their sleeves.
    YES! I agree!

• Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    maouw wrote: »
    I think the colour palette of the world is intentionally muted a little so that you can divide colour space for different uses. If the grass is vibrant green then green skills are harder to see, etc.

Also - I didn't play much with the graphics settings when I was testing - which I kindof regret now.

There wasn't a large difference. I think I even preferred the lowest setting because of the difference in shaders being off. The colors were more sharply contrasting at highest, but lowest felt more gradual (and therefore more peasant to me.)
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2021
    Compared to maybe WoW or other cartoony games, yeah I guess it would seem a bit muted, but running around the game in bright daylight it looks pretty vibrant to me for a realistic game.

The color palette (and the graphics in general) really remind me of Witcher 3 (which is not a bad thing to resemble).

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    Compared to maybe WoW or other cartoony games, yeah I guess it would seem a bit muted, but running around the game in bright daylight it looks pretty vibrant to me for a realistic game.

The color palette (and the graphics in general) really remind me of Witcher 3 (which is not a bad thing to resemble).

It’s interesting, the color grading for Blood and Wine was very noticeable (in a good way) from vanilla.

I also prefer fantasy settings to have a more vibrant look (on both sides of the palate), it helps the peaceful places feel more idyllic, and the awful places more dangerous.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Have you tried ReShade?

Makes more sense to me then asking for large-scale color changes to a game. It always amuses me that In 10 minutes with a few force injected shaders I can make any game look better than stock settings.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »

I also prefer fantasy settings to have a more vibrant look (on both sides of the palate), it helps the peaceful places feel more idyllic, and the awful places more dangerous.

I love the bits of neon in the underrealm/caves zones I've seen. That purple moss that shifts color is awesome.

I would love to see some neon added to some underwater areas, kind of like a Subnautica feel. Can you imagine fishing at night with the glow of neon algae and bioluminescent fish creeping from below?
  • Options
    I like options. Give us a slider or selection box in the graphics settings where we can change from "artist intention" all the way to "acid trip". Then players can choose for themselves what provides their best experience. More options = better.
  • Options
    CriminalCupcakeCriminalCupcake Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Keep in mind we havent seen near every biome yet.
  • Options
    CriminalCupcakeCriminalCupcake Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Fozzik wrote: »
    I like options. Give us a slider or selection box in the graphics settings where we can change from "artist intention" all the way to "acid trip". Then players can choose for themselves what provides their best experience. More options = better.

Also this is the most glorious idea I've ever heard. Get this man a patent.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The color transition from the open world to any cave or dungeon felt great. I can see what you mean when compared to other games but I didn't once notice anything negative when it came to how Verra looked to be completely honest. If anything, I was the first one to bitch about the original bright neon melee purple attack graphics and luckily they quickly changed that one haha.
  • Options
    -laughs in skyrim-
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    Fozzik wrote: »

This is fine as long as it doesn't affect being able to see characters in stealth. There's a bunch of people that would tweak it to get a competitive advantage instead of personal taste.
  • Options
    *Shivers*

Here comes the Sugar Rush, Candy Shop Biome.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    I invested into a nice, color accurate and vibrant HDR ultrawide and every game looks amazing on it c:

Even minesweeper looks great on this thing, lol. However - Just throwing out a reminder that the game is in Alpha and the fidelity, colors, hues and such are all subject to change :)

Though, a nice monitor never hurts if you can swing it :D
    community_management.gif