Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Class mastery system?

2»

Comments

• NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2021
    Well to stay on topic, the author asks for badges that show your tank proficiency even if you play a rogue/tank succesfully.
    To get those badges you need to do some tanking activities.

This will lead to people saying "lf tank, link badge" which is annoying and caters to the mentality of treating other players as npcs to fill roles.

I would advice IS to move against linking any proof for any activity because it hinders the social aspect of the game, a damage done by years of instanced content with group finders.

I would also advice not to waste any time developing class mastery, tank mastery, weapon mastery logs, nobody gives a damn. It's shallow content as I said comparing the days of Dota 1 with todays mobas that throw all these sort of achievements and collectables to keep people playing for reasons beyond the actual match. Btw dota 1 was not tower defence.

Now to the point of society and nodes, in relation to fame (whether you are a good tank or not).
    I never said that people need to know thousands of members on a personal lv. I am just saying that you wont be playing near your node, just like you do inrl with your city, due to raw material availability.
    And yes, if you are a good tank you will find players from your node far away or other players that have come to your node from another node and happened to group with you (because people will spread), that know you are a good tank, without having players demanding that you link badges or achievements or titles.

It's a bad idea, it's antisocial and there is no middle ground. It's the same as ingame dps meters or allowed addons.

I completely agree with the badges/achievement as proof thing. I don't want it either. I am a bit of an achievement whore, but I've seen how toxic for the server it can be when people demand players have finished the content already in order to do the very same content they are trying to do. Maybe not allowing players to link achievements will curb some of it. It's a bit much to ask for screenshot proof, or to go to a website to check the character profile, but even with that I am sure some elitist pricks will ask for it.

As for people not playing near their node, well, if no one does the node will atrophy, and it certainly won't level up. If people from outside the node come and harvest materials there, and the people from the node go and harvest materials elsewhere it will maybe balance itself out. However, if the world design is made in a way that people don't stay near their nodes because there is literally nothing of worth to do there, that's on Intrepid and bad design. If it's a widespread issue, it'll kill the game.
  • Nerror wrote: »
    Well to stay on topic, the author asks for badges that show your tank proficiency even if you play a rogue/tank succesfully.
    To get those badges you need to do some tanking activities.

This will lead to people saying "lf tank, link badge" which is annoying and caters to the mentality of treating other players as npcs to fill roles.

I would advice IS to move against linking any proof for any activity because it hinders the social aspect of the game, a damage done by years of instanced content with group finders.

I would also advice not to waste any time developing class mastery, tank mastery, weapon mastery logs, nobody gives a damn. It's shallow content as I said comparing the days of Dota 1 with todays mobas that throw all these sort of achievements and collectables to keep people playing for reasons beyond the actual match. Btw dota 1 was not tower defence.

Now to the point of society and nodes, in relation to fame (whether you are a good tank or not).
    I never said that people need to know thousands of members on a personal lv. I am just saying that you wont be playing near your node, just like you do inrl with your city, due to raw material availability.
    And yes, if you are a good tank you will find players from your node far away or other players that have come to your node from another node and happened to group with you (because people will spread), that know you are a good tank, without having players demanding that you link badges or achievements or titles.

It's a bad idea, it's antisocial and there is no middle ground. It's the same as ingame dps meters or allowed addons.

I completely agree with the badges/achievement as proof thing. I don't want it either. I am a bit of an achievement whore, but I've seen how toxic for the server it can be when people demand players have finished the content already in order to do the very same content they are trying to do. Maybe not allowing players to link achievements will curb some of it. It's a bit much to ask for screenshot proof, or to go to a website to check the character profile, but even with that I am sure some elitist pricks will ask for it.

As for people not playing near their node, well, if no one does the node will atrophy, and it certainly won't level up. If people from outside the node come and harvest materials there, and the people from the node go and harvest materials elsewhere it will maybe balance itself out. However, if the world design is made in a way that people don't stay near their nodes because there is literally nothing of worth to do there, that's on Intrepid and bad design. If it's a widespread issue, it'll kill the game.

It could be an issue of people don't enjoy the content near that node, but like the dungeon associated with it. I like the underwater cave dungeon (hungering maw?) But most of what to do around my node to help it grow is fishing... Which I find dull...
    There are lots of reasons people could move around to other stuff rather than be attached to their node. Will be hard to tell tough until we actually get our hands on the game
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    In eso people would take pictures of their dps parse and post them at discord for proof.
    So even if you cant link achievements ingame as you suggest people will still demand proof.
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Interesting... I do wonder what a middle ground would look like. Even more interesting looking at LoL's Mastery system which really is just for clout like you pointed out.
    @George Black
    I agree to some extent. I'm not a fan of the culture of "Link achievement" or the impact that raider.IO has had on the social aspect of wow.

Is there some kind of Middle ground? Something where you can show your mastery or your capability with a certain class or at a role without it devolving into a "you must be this tall to ride" and people being dick heads about it if you don't have the achievement (which ultimately just alienates new people to the game)

That's also why I referenced LoL as one of my examples. For those that don't moba: each character and role you can take on the battlefield have certain criteria that would get you "points" during a game. At the end of the game it awards you a grade based on how optimally you played your character at their role. Different grades give you mastery points towards leveling up your mastery with a certain character or at a certain role (although they have kind of pulled back on the role version).
    It doesn't give you anything or do anything for you but it can let others know that I've played this champion a lot and I know how to fight with them, or I know how to jungle or supp well...

community_management.gif