Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

What idea that is outside of the MMO genre would you put into AoC to help it be a great MMO?

MybroViajeroMybroViajero Member
edited September 2021 in General Discussion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYHJo0bWMd4

It would be worth adding to the maps / environments / towns / cities / areas secret places that have a unique feature of the game that help to better understand the history of AOC or that have secret content created exclusively for players to spend hours trying to discover it.

How the ancient games did with their secret areas.

For you, what other idea that is outside the MMO genre would help AoC to be a better MMO?
EDym4eg.png

Comments

• I've always enjoyed game modes like Gears of War's "Horde" mode, where you have to defend from increasingly difficult waves of bad guys. I enjoy testing my abilities with the ramp up of difficulty, and if the game is made well, you have to work together with your teammates when it gets really difficult.
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    See now I am getting all philosophical. Is there really such a thing as something outside the MMO genre? Pretty much anything can be put into an MMO and made to fit as a part of the whole. Most won't be good for Ashes I am sure though. I'll have to sleep on it :wink:

• VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    McShave wrote: »
    I've always enjoyed game modes like Gears of War's "Horde" mode, where you have to defend from increasingly difficult waves of bad guys. I enjoy testing my abilities with the ramp up of difficulty, and if the game is made well, you have to work together with your teammates when it gets really difficult.

I could totally see this being fun! The follow up question I would have to this and the topic would be - Would there need to be progression or rewards tied to it or could it simply just be for fun? If you look at a game like Left 4 Dead, there isn't much progression other than skill. Would your average MMO player let that fly or would they expect progression elements and rewards since it's an MMORPG. Very interesting! :)
    community_management.gif
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2021
    Vaknar wrote: »
    I could totally see this being fun! The follow up question I would have to this and the topic would be - Would there need to be progression or rewards tied to it or could it simply just be for fun? If you look at a game like Left 4 Dead, there isn't much progression other than skill. Would your average MMO player let that fly or would they expect progression elements and rewards since it's an MMORPG. Very interesting! :)

Sometimes just let a fun little game be fun. Keep it intrinsic instead of making it a progression grind. At most keep track of the high score of the players.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2021
    I'm hoping Ashes has something like that as events for village/town/city/metro defense.
    A huge part of that reward is just successfully defending your Node.
    Seems like there might be some interesting drops while we're killing stuff.
    Could be horizontal progression drops or cosmetics or trophies.

I suppose horde attacks might also be able to happen at points of interest.
    I wonder what kinds of Node buffs might be active for a while on successful defenses - as boons from the gods.
  • Nerror wrote: »
    See now I am getting all philosophical. Is there really such a thing as something outside the MMO genre? Pretty much anything can be put into an MMO and made to fit as a part of the whole. Most won't be good for Ashes I am sure though. I'll have to sleep on it :wink:

If we are going to get philosophical then we have a while >:)

I think the question revolves around what other MMOs have not dared to do or what has not been seen within the MMO genre but has been seen in other genres.

I know that "anything can be included in an MMO", but that does not mean that they have already done it.
    EDym4eg.png
  • Vaknar wrote: »
    Would there need to be progression or rewards tied to it or could it simply just be for fun? If you look at a game like Left 4 Dead, there isn't much progression other than skill.

Ugh, when that howl went up and you knew there was a zombie horde incoming...... *shudder*

Loved that game.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Common sense. 😘
  • McShaveMcShave Member
    edited September 2021
    I've always enjoyed game modes like Gears of War's "Horde" mode, where you have to defend from increasingly difficult waves of bad guys. I enjoy testing my abilities with the ramp up of difficulty, and if the game is made well, you have to work together with your teammates when it gets really difficult.

I don't think every gameplay system in an MMORPG needs to be tied to progression. If you look at retail WoW, they tied end game gear progression to fun game modes (Torghast/ BFA Island Expeditions) that don't really have anything to do with what the gear is used for (raiding/ dungeons, arenas/ battlegrounds). When they attached these incentives to these otherwise fun game modes, it makes it feel like a mandatory activity, since it makes your character stronger. Sometimes you can just let these fun game modes be fun game modes that people can do if they enjoy it or if they want to do something different on occasion.
  • McShave wrote: »

This could make a good (instanced) PvE training dungeon, where wave after wave of mobs (rats, spiders, zombies?) come at you. Your team can measure their collective performance against the wave number that finally beats them. We won't have dps meters or other metrics in Ashes so something like this would be extremely useful. The loot drop doesn't need to be anything special because the META development feedback is the payout.
    Forum_Signature.png
  • ptitoineptitoine Member
    edited September 2021
    I would add hidden achievment or bonus for artisan driven people. Like crafting 1000 of this food will incrase its quality/Add some tremporary buff, or something. So the value of this said Artisan player can be higher than other in term of selling this specific/multiples good.

Like in real life. U go to this restaurant cause u love the cook food. Even other can make it it wont be the same.
  • KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I have always been intrigued by the "secret" area of games as well.

What I am really interested in seeing is something that @McShave brought up. Horde mode or something of increasing difficulty would be amazing. Honestly, I don't want it to have an "ending" Just something that we as players can theory craft around with group compositions to see how far we get.

@Vaknar I would like to see some form of reward for reaching certain stages. Basic levels giving small rewards like potions or low quality materials with a boss every 5 or 10 waves. I would enjoy it without the rewards but it would need to have rewards for players to do it consistently. Nothing game breaking for rewards but something to keep us going and have a fun time sink that really promotes theory crafting around the compositions.

This can be implemented inside each metropolis to draw players in and help maintain the towns atmosphere. It can tie into the lore or possibly as a defense style. For example, city siege "blah blah blah" there is this hole in the wall where the enemy is sneaking through and we need your help to defend it. Instanced dungeon, defeat wave after wave but when you eventually lose, have it seal itself off with a magic barrier (or whatever depending on the city type). Could be different for each city.
  • PseudofirePseudofire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Timing and/or skill based solutions to achieve a task or access an area.
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edge grabs fom games like Mirror's Edge, Witcher 3, etc.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Pretty much everything from League of Legends when it comes to skill variety/creativity and emphasis on dodging and skill shots.
    signature.png

I think that progression isn't something that is needed at all. I do however think that some sory of competition is required. Like a leaderboard tracking how long the groups survived, maybe with cosmetic rewards like a title, a mount skin, furniture or cosmetic armor.
  • WarthWarth Member
    edited September 2021
    • The depth of character/build customization you find in A-RPGs
    • The Economic depth of good simulation games.
    • The ability to solved quests in different way / with different decisions and outcomes from RPGs like Divinity, RDR, Witcher, Baldur's Gae)
    • *Sarcasm on* The kind of NPC-relationsship progression of popular Dating-Sims. *Sarcasm off*

I feel like it's been shown, most recently for me in WoW, that tying everything to player power is not necessary and even detrimental when your core progression systems are solid. If you have two or three solid player power progression systems like Arenas, World PvP, Dungeons/Raids. I don't think you need to add world exploration to player power. In fact, let it be a fun side break to the main progression systems, just like mount collecting and transmog/glamour/collecting/housing is for a lot of games. Some of these side systems in these games that have no player power progression are the biggest reasons why people log on.