Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

I had a thought...

Forgive me if this has been brought up before or hashed out or whatever but,

I was reading some other articles regarding pvp/crafting/pve..kind of just a general overall of the game vs other games
Mainly the PVE players worried of the PVP aspect.
Tell me if this is stupid or flawed or just bad.

What if you were in your own ZOI of the metropolis or city you belonged to(pay taxes to or whatever) and were out gathering materials, maybe even just questing. On top of the corruption, would it work to add a damage resist and/or damage output multiplier to enemy players that try to kill you that didn't belong to the same ZOI area?

Also make the more desirable, rare, end game, resources outside of settlements ZOI areas?

And then if both players were out of both of their ZOI areas the buffs and debuffs would go away? Essentially making the open areas that have no ZOI from cities/metropolises/towns a more dangerous area?
I think it would give the players a "safety" in their own area if they don't want to maybe run into PVP as much.

The only part I can't figure out is how that would work if you were both from the same city/metropolis.

Anyway, just kind of had a thought and wondered how stupid it sounded.

Comments

• Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited March 2022
    66e29d35df7db5f26a1fb90164a8e448.png

There is no area in the game that is ZOI free. The ZOI from a higher level node may impact other nodes, but a node has its own ZOI. We do know that citizenship in a node is the highest affiliation and is a higher priority than guild and others.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't think it's "stupid", but...
    I think for now we just need to test the current Corruption design before trying to figure out how to fix something that isn't broken.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    ~~
    vettond63 wrote: »

No need to invite people to tell you your idea is bad or stupid ^_^

It's an interesting thought! In what ways can you imagine making a ZoI more hostile for other players (presumably based on proximity to the node?) would change interactions across the entire world of Verra on a server?
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    Vaknar wrote: »
    ~~
    vettond63 wrote: »

No need to invite people to tell you your idea is bad or stupid ^_^

It's an interesting thought! In what ways can you imagine making a ZoI more hostile for other players (presumably based on proximity to the node?) would change interactions across the entire world of Verra on a server?

I'm not sure I didn't spend a whole lot of time thinking on it lol.
    It could be based on how close you are to a node center, probably the more buff/debuff you get to the center. It could also be off during sieges and only on during "peaceful" times.
    Could also scale the corruption base on how close they are to an enemy node center, the closer you are the more corruption you gain.

Maybe make the more common lower tiered resources more plentiful around the center of the node and the more endgame valuble ones appear further away from the center of the nodes to make it more riskier to get but more rewarding.

Just spittballing here
  • Options
    chibibreechibibree Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    That is definitely an interesting thought and would be fun to ponder upon, even if it weren't to be implemented.

I could see that adding an interesting layer effect on combat, etc. But also, having that would definitely change the way we interact with people on a global scale at that point. I could see people rising to the occasion to try and still win a fight against one who was buffed in this way. I do want to see how the corruption system works as well as the negative xp effect of dying before delving too into these. But it is, none-the-less, an interesting ponder.
  • Options
    It's a interesting idea but as everyone else said I think we should see how the corruption mechanic takes care of these things first. It might be enough. I speculate that it'd be actually very hard for any invader to PvP locals even without the corruption system because I imagine that a big portion of the node's citizens would be playing inside the ZOI of their node which means the invader would be encountering players and player groups at a high frequency. This takes a big toll on the invaders because they have to use their resources to heal up after every battle and there is a big chance some random group encounter could interrupt that process. On top of all of that I am not certain but I think I remember Steven saying that members of a Node inside their ZOI would have access to closer graveyards which means that the invader group would also have to wait and clear a path for their dead members coming from a far away graveyard. All of these things make it already a very hard job for invaders as is.

I am against a ZOI penalty for invaders though. This discourages world pvp in my view rather than balancing anything. If anything I'd love to see node affiliated npc guards with and without outposts inside ZOI and an option for each node to increase the number and power of their guards inside their ZOI at the cost of higher maintenance and the ability to choose where these guards spawn and changing the guard's spawn location should take time, it shouldn't be instantaneous, moving guards from far locations should take even as much as 24 hours. This will create more immersion and it would allow for even more strategic and political planning because if you ally a certain node you could then move your guards to the borders of an enemy node. However this creates a chance for your ally to suddenly betray you, declare war, enter your borders undetected or with little resistance. So you might want to put up a facade like leaving a few guard groups there just incase your ally is sending spies to see if you've weakened your defenses. Guards for ZOI adds a lot of depth and immersion to the game which I like as opposed to a penalty debuff for invaders.
  • Options
    VirulentVirulent Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't like this idea at all.
  • Options
    meedxmeedx Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Can't say I like this at all either, the safety you're trying to achieve for the player being attacked is already in the game in the form of corruption that has its own risk vs reward.

In your scenario someone is already heavily leaning towards the risk aspect of the encounter because their reward is low tier materials, you then want them to be also be punished on top of that by lessening their chance of winning with a flat damage reduction/defense buff they have no way of altering or changing.

It would feel awful to be the attacker in this situation and that isn't (in my opinion) how the pk system is intended to be, the player should have to weigh up the risk vs reward and debate whether its worth it to them personally to gain corruption and be forced to grind it back all for potentially a tiny amount of low tier materials, it plays to the social aspect of the game and is less binary than X is worth it and Z is not so I will never do X.

The safety you want is also being promoted in the social aspect of the game, grouping up, having friends or a guild to call for help, or even just outplaying the person with skill and overcoming the situation.

A blanket damage reduction across a ZOI would also lead to complications of fighting over world bosses etc, if one ZOI overlapped into a raid room or the underworld of the raid (cavern, dungeon etc) that also went underneath a metropolis/ZOI you run into a whole bunch of other issues.

I'd argue it's also beneficial to the individual player in terms of learning the game and skill development to not have a safety not to fall back on, eventually you will have to venture out to higher zones with more danger and a higher chance of being attacked for rare materials and by that time it's better to of already been introduced to these scenario's to have built up a network of friends, a guild and understanding of the systems.

• Options
    XenraXenra Member
    I would expect that in general a region that has higher player population of traffic that isn't all one group that will 'other' those not of their situation would be relatively safe. If you are in a high populated area those with the toxic craven desire of opportunistic pvp will have little opportunity. However then the region will be likely over farmed or its resources smashed in the economy as common goods. Sadly even if you like soloing or focusing on gathering if you want to do anything worthwhile you will have to press to regions outside the area of secure influence and public spaces. And as they say in Zelda: "Its dangerous to go alone."