Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Character motions impacted by their physique?

Hi,
I know characters in AoC can be customized at creation.
But. would their movement be impacted by this customization?
For example. let's say my real concern here is: I would like to have a Dwarf character but bigger, fat actually.
But I want it to run like a fat dwarf, not like an athletic dwarf. His movements could feel its larger hips, larger back etc..
The way of my dwarf to walk, run, etc.. would it impacted by oversizing him?
If even slightly, I think that would be awesome.

Thank's
Toinus

Comments

• Dang that would truly be next-gen customization. The animations getting modified by the way your build your character in the character creator.

I highly doubt anything like this will be seen soon in any MMO game in the world.

But yea I've always thought the same thing too, would be great!
  • This seems far beyond the scope of Ashes imo
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • SylvanarSylvanar Member
    edited March 2022
    Maybe 7-10 years into the future implementing things like this would be simpler and thus make more sense. I don't think it is impossible even now but the effort wouldn't really be worth it from a business perspective and to meet the internal timelines of IS.
    "Suffer in silence"
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    This seems far beyond the scope of Ashes imo

My thought exactly.
  • Nice idea but I have to agree with the general consensus. I'd rather they just improved the "lowest bar" of animation across the board so that on average most animations are pleasing on the eye/not janky.

Things like animation smoothness, no awkward movement at angles i.e. strafing, going backwards, turning etc.
  • I agree this seems a bit too advanced right now, especially for a mmo.
    But yeah maybe in the future... with a toggle to activate this function and a preview so you don't regret your choice.
    Seems like a wish list for Christmas I know :)
  • CawwCaww Member
    Look... I'm fat but fleet-footed so don't steal my thunder...
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    There was a thread a few weeks ago about character phenotype impacting stats (ala MO2). I think the general reception was 'f**k no.'

I agree with that consensus.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • ToinusToinus Member
    edited April 2022
    Phenotype impacting stats mmh no, just want pure animation aesthetics impact.
    a Fat dwarf should run as fast as any other characters. Or where is the fun.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    Bombur hauled ass in The Hobbit: DoS.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • IzilIzil Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    No plz
    Izil.png
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2022
    I`m with differentiating players.
    • encumbrance (make light or heavy armor and/or lightly laden or fully laden matter)
    • going uphill or downhill (make terrain and elevation matter)
    • some racial / class nuances/differences (create some easily distinguishable differences in physical capability)
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    An interesting and unique idea, for sure!

I've never seen anything like that in a game before. I wonder if such technology exists in another game?!
    community_management.gif
  • Good question, there’s a noticeable difference in how a muscular person moves vs a fat person vs a super skinny person. Honestly as long as nothing clips too badly, I don’t mind keeping the generic animation sets as-is
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6hOT9r5P48
    I don't know if I can share this video here but basically I think the old model of the dwarf on WoW was better than the new one.
    They ruined it. But I would understand if someone wants to play a skinny dwarf that bounces while it runs.
    I just prefer to chose a chubby heavy dwarf that doesn't seem so agile.
  • I wouldn't mind if there was some sort of scale you could choose from. Just the way we typically end up choosing voices, young vs old voice. So maybe you could choose from 5 types of movements; heavier build, normal build, athletic build and petite build movements.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Vaknar wrote: »
    An interesting and unique idea, for sure!

I've never seen anything like that in a game before. I wonder if such technology exists in another game?!

The closest thing that I can think of is that game spore where you could genetically build and make your own creatures. Depending on how the creature was built it would generate different movement or attack patterns for that creature.

But I feel having that level of diversity in an MMO would heavily bog down a server.
  • UE5 offers a lot of improvements in movement and animation. I'd be curious if the decision to move to UE5 ends up making these sorts of animation improvements possible.
    f51pcwlbgn8a.png
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    It’s really simple, the more you impact gameplay by a character’s physical appearance the more homogeneous the character population will be, defeating the very point of diverse model options in the first place.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    CROW3 wrote: »
    It’s really simple, the more you impact gameplay by a character’s physical appearance the more homogeneous the character population will be, defeating the very point of diverse model options in the first place.

This proposal wouldn't impact gameplay. The proposal isn't to make someone slower or faster, or jump higher or lower, or anything along those lines. Just to modify a character's animations based on body shape.

I think it's interesting and could lead to more variety of appearance, but I'm not sure how much it's worth it. Also, I suspect they may already change animations based on race, so this might complicate that.

Hhak63P.png
  • CROW3 wrote: »
    There was a thread a few weeks ago about character phenotype impacting stats (ala MO2). I think the general reception was 'f**k no.'

I agree with that consensus.
    CROW3 wrote: »

The idea was to change animations, not stats.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited April 2022
    Ah - thx. MO2 left a bad taste, so it lingers in similar sounding topics. Appreciate the clarity.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png