Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Don't consider it, do it!

RiseUnchainedRiseUnchained Member
edited April 2022 in General Discussion
"The developers are considering the inclusion of dodging in a subset of universal skills that apply to all classes.[3]"

As MMORPG veteran player, I love dodge as universal skill. It is a feature that helps a lot and grants movility to all players felling good. It a tiny skill that well expended saves you in critical moments . I dont know how to explain it but feels refreshing if you can do it.

Comments

• Options
    CawwCaww Member
    Hopefully the resources required to dodge will limit the number of successive times in a row it can be used, otherwise, you end up with "bunny-hopper" mechanics. Not to mention the head-ache I get just trying to track the movements...
  • Options
    Of course, no more than 1-2 in a few secs. Must be a "casual" skill that gives you a extra "save" in the last moment.
  • Options
    Yeah, rolling is nice and since they are mounting over things now, a roll would bring it full circle. not sure how much work it would be and how it would change the initial keybinds they have in mind.
  • Options
    Problem with time-sensitive abilities like dodge in an MMO is latency. Remember, they are planning 250v250 battles. If it works from a technical side, it would be a good addition but that's a big if I think.
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    neuroguy wrote: »
    Problem with time-sensitive abilities like dodge in an MMO is latency. Remember, they are planning 250v250 battles. If it works from a technical side, it would be a good addition but that's a big if I think.

Then should there be no movement skills or defensive buffs because there might be lag?
  • Options
    Caww wrote: »
    Hopefully the resources required to dodge will limit the number of successive times in a row it can be used, otherwise, you end up with "bunny-hopper" mechanics. Not to mention the head-ache I get just trying to track the movements...

I'm def a bunny hopper in PvP hah. But i don't mind a small stam charge for dodging skills.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2022
    If there is going to be action combat, I would like to have active combat defenses, like roll, active block and active dodge.
    Based on NWO, I enjoy characters having one of those skills, dependant on class.
  • Options
    I have mixed feelings about this. It can be nice. But then again. Then they might design bosses like in Lost Ark. Which are just bad
  • Options
    mobtekmobtek Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    HELL YES! double-tap to dodge option as well please kthanx
  • Options
    fabulafabula Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    insomnia wrote: »
    I have mixed feelings about this. It can be nice. But then again. Then they might design bosses like in Lost Ark. Which are just bad

The active dodging/blocking in Lost Ark is the fun part of the game, the problems I see in Lost Ark boss figths are its reliance on gimmick mechanics.

A gimmick mechanic is one of those were you have to hop on one foot and spin clockwise for one part of the fight and the opposite for another. Adding active dodging to all classes is a necessity for the game because it allows you to design your encounter around active dodging/blocking the bosses's attacks.
  • Options
    HumblePuffinHumblePuffin Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I’ve grown to like dodging in mmos as long as it has a very clear limit on how much you can do it. Choosing when to dodge should be a meaningful decision. Plus seeing players and yourself rolling all over the map constantly (because if you can get somewhere faster why wouldn’t you) is unpleasant in my opinion.

Dodging really adds a different dimension to combat by opening up what kind of mechanics you can include in fights and not have certain classes hating their lives because the fight has a lot of movement.

On that point, although less exciting than dodge, I look forward to seeing what they are going to be able to do with crouch and scaling things like we saw in the UE5 reveal, and I hope we see both included in dungeons/raids.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    There are a number of reasons active dodge is a consideration rather than something they are just going to do.

The biggest factor, as has been mentioned in this thread, is latency. There is no point in adding active dodge if it won't work during the games signature content (sieges).

Another major consideration is the fact that Ashes is aiming for a hybrid combat system. Not action just combat, not just tab target combat. Since active dodge is 100% action combat, if the game has active dodge as a universal ability, in order to maintain the hybrid paradigm, they may need to add defensive abilities that are more in line with tab target combat as well.

A third consideration is group content. If various classes are designed around the notion of a tank holding mob in place (to facilitate a rogues backstabbing attacks, for example), having a defensive move that sees the tank - and thus mob - shift around may not be ideal.

None of the above are insurmountable (except perhaps latency - they want to increase siege size to 500v500). However, each of them either require or dictate other design decisions, and those decisions have not yet been made.

A developer could very easily say "we are developing our game around active dodge", and make a game based on that, where the commitment to having active dodge informs other decisions.

However, Intrepid have made the commitment to have a hybrid combat system, and very large scale sieges. All decisions need to be informed from those aspects first - and if there is still room after that for active dodge, I have no doubt they will add it.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    However, Intrepid have made the commitment to have a hybrid combat system, and very large scale sieges. All decisions need to be informed from those aspects first - and if there is still room after that for active dodge, I have no doubt they will add it.

Has something been said about not continuing to include it since the alpha 1 testing? Because they did have a dodge mechanic in alpha 1. Not sure if I missed something though where they decided they didn’t like it.
  • Options
    Lark WyllLark Wyll Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't mind abilities that reposition a character. I dislike the I-frame spam and invulnerability while repositioning in New Worlds combat. If your character is still on the aoe or impact area even during their movement ability they should be damaged unless it's like the mage teleport as your model doesn't exist inbetween point A and B.
    u3usdraa7gs1.png

• Options
    Universal Dodge can be quite a balance challenge for the 8 primary archetypes and 64 classes especially considering the Cooldown vs TTK for each, the hybrid combat would require the dodge to have i-frames or de-target effect.

Therefore, even tho i believe there should be a "universal dodge"
    (repositioning skill with i-frames)(every primary archetype having their own version of it)
    it would need to have different Cooldowns and i-frames relative to their archetype TTK and skillset.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    fabulafabula Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Universal movement/dodge good, i-frames bad. In BDO combat the main complain is i-frames. Elden Ring has i-frames because the devs were too lazy to give their bosses mechanics that didn't require you to turn into a rolling ball and abuse the i-frames.

These skills should be used to move you out of attack range but to actually dodge any attacks.
  • Options
    fabula wrote: »
    Universal movement/dodge good, i-frames bad. In BDO combat the main complain is i-frames. Elden Ring has i-frames because the devs were too lazy to give their bosses mechanics that didn't require you to turn into a rolling ball and abuse the i-frames.

These skills should be used to move you out of attack range but to actually dodge any attacks.

Lack of i-frames and lack of de-target on dodges would simple make Tab-target skills way stronger in the game meta.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    dont make dodge an iframe though please however give a short duration dmg reduction like 50-75% (Could make it 75% for rogue/rangers for exmple) but casters/tanks only get 50%.

iframe skill are obnoxious especialy with action combat because you can see you skills hit however since they were mid dodge it does nothing dispite a bullet or sword is going stright through there model :P

i rather dodge offer a 0.5-1 second buff that gives dmg reduction rather than stright up immunity. New world was super obnoxious with this when dodge was literaly spammable it seemed.
  • Options
    Veeshan wrote: »
    dont make dodge an iframe though please however give a short duration dmg reduction like 50-75% (Could make it 75% for rogue/rangers for exmple) but casters/tanks only get 50%.

Good idea, %dmg reduction would also work well to better balance the dodge between archetypes.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 2022
    The way the active dodge roll worked in Alpha 1 was as a damage reduction (I think it was 50-ish percent), rather than a full iframe type dodge.

They can certainly play around with the numbers, but I see zero reason for them to remove the dodge function again, when it worked well overall in A1.
  • Options
    neuroguy wrote: »

Then should there be no movement skills or defensive buffs because there might be lag?

It's specific to iframes imo but again, I don't know the technical side of things here and if a dodge roll is really any different than any other movement skill so fair play :P.
  • Options
    fabula wrote: »
    insomnia wrote: »

The active dodging/blocking in Lost Ark is the fun part of the game, the problems I see in Lost Ark boss figths are its reliance on gimmick mechanics.

A gimmick mechanic is one of those were you have to hop on one foot and spin clockwise for one part of the fight and the opposite for another. Adding active dodging to all classes is a necessity for the game because it allows you to design your encounter around active dodging/blocking the bosses's attacks.

I find the boss fights to be garbage at times. You have to dodge stuff every few seconds, but have a 10 second CD on your dodge. 75% of the fight is just avoiding things
  • Options

Has something been said about not continuing to include it since the alpha 1 testing? Because they did have a dodge mechanic in alpha 1. Not sure if I missed something though where they decided they didn’t like it.

It isn't that they didn't like it, A1 was never supposed to be a representation of combat for the final game.

They just literally threw some abilities together.
  • Options

It isn't that they didn't like it, A1 was never supposed to be a representation of combat for the final game.

They just literally threw some abilities together.

I should rephrase from “did they not like it” to has any comment been made on how they thought it worked within their vision since the testing.

Going off the limited information we have(unless they did say something which is a legit inquiry not a condescending one), the fact that they included it at all in alpha 1, made animations, and implemented a system to shy away from iframes makes me feel that they are more on the “include it” side of it then the “not include it” side of it.

Of course they absolutely can decide “naw this doesn’t work” and not include it but from my perspective I would be more surprised if they didn’t in some way at this point.

Based off past comments they have made in regards to more dynamic movement be limited to classes there is also a chance they just saw it as a chance to mass test the mechanic they had and figured why not just toss it on everyone since they can do what they want.
  • Options

I should rephrase from “did they not like it” to has any comment been made on how they thought it worked within their vision since the testing.
    Not to my knowledge.

I do agree that they are more likely to include it than to not include it - but as pointed out, it is still dependent on a few things. They won't know how it functions in a large scale environment until they get us testing that large scale environment, and they wouldn't want to say they will or will not include it until that testing has taken place.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Not a bad idea at all!

I'm excited to see the combat prototypes so we can see what the design team has planned for combat and mobility within combat! :)
    community_management.gif