Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Air content?

MybroViajeroMybroViajero Member
edited April 2022 in General Discussion
Many MMOs don't dare to use air as a potential content for MMO growth.
Any chance that AoC could have airl content?

For example :
-Exploration in ruins in the sky/atmosphere.
-Floating citadels/islands/biomes.
-Flora and fauna in the sky.
-Commercial routes in the sky (floating ships?).
-Aerial maps.
-Mountains that are so high that they connect to a floating island/citadel and players must explore that mountain to find the route to that island/citadel.
-Things that don't need flying mounts.
etc.

Flying mounts are not only the method to exploit the sky in an MMO, there may be other ways to properly use that content.

Any ideas would be welcome. :)
EDym4eg.png

Comments

• Options
    Look at some of GW2's heart of thorns maps.
  • Options
    MybroViajeroMybroViajero Member
    edited April 2022
    Riegnar wrote: »
    Look at some of GW2's heart of thorns maps.

Sure, but GW2 is one of the few that dares to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3th4ROGeSw
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited April 2022
    i doubt it considering how exclusive flying mounts are, only way i would think of it would be air ship paths (Zeplings in WoW) and then gliding mounts.

However that being said there better to a realy good job on ocean/naval content (which alot of MMO also shy away from) over sky content atm. Get land and sea content top tier than they could look at floating islands and gliding things in later expansion i would say

You might see more verticality in land content though giant forest with platforms in the tree or high mountain ranges/ravines though, but floating islands i doubt it not till much later if they do though
  • Options
    How would we get up there though, only a handful of people can have flying mounts at any one time, and i actually support that, they want seeing a flyer to be a special moment(they said it in one of the streams) so i dont see a need for this kind of thing, if the world is big enough its not needed, plus there is underground zones
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    They said they dont want air content as it diminishes the importance of battling through challenging terrain (both pve and pvp dangers).

There wont be aerial content and frankly it's just so lame...
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There will likely be some vertical content, since some clases are able to Climb.
    Probably not "air content".
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 2022
    The only way I can see flying for the masses working in the game is in a future expansion, if they allow players to travel to a different plane of existence through a portal, where flying is a thing. They can then design that area specifically for that.
    There are different planes of existence (realms) with varying degrees of strength (of magic), determined by their proximity to the Essence. The planes of existence in Ashes of Creation are connected across bridges created by the Essence.

For Verra, I don't want to see it because it kinda ruins the whole PvP thing.
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    I hope the landscapes are designed for full flight exploration, however, it does seem like a lot of extra effort for so few to experience.
  • Options
    SpuriusSpurius Member
    edited April 2022
    Nerror wrote: »
    For Verra, I don't want to see it because it kinda ruins the whole PvP thing.

I think it kinda ruins a lot of things. Flying mount would not be such a "royalty" thing if every Joe has one just behind that door (or portal). Why become a king or a queen if you can just go over there?
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    We already have land, sea, and underground. Air seems unnecessary.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Technically, being pushed from a mountain is ‘air’ content.

Well, until it’s ground content.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    They said they dont want air content as it diminishes the importance of battling through challenging terrain (both pve and pvp dangers).

There wont be aerial content and frankly it's just so lame...

you can do it right though, no flying mount only gliding (Zeplins to get to said islands) gliding allows u to jkeep challenging terrain even air gusts and thing so it could create more in this aspect however you can also achieve this on land anyway with vertical terrain biomes GW2 does this alot. so realy they should focus on the vertical terrain biomes over new floating islands and so on imo atleats for any time soon, maybe floationg island long time in the future with expansion but tbh there better off putting out A+ land and sea content before they look to the sky, sea odften get neglected in games archage/darkfall got maybe a B-A for sea content where AOC should strive for S and S before anythging else
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Probably won't be zeplins to get to floating islands.
    That is pretty much fast travel - only some Scientific Metros will have those.

Ashes will have some vertical terrain that can be crossed, but it's unlikely to be "air content".
    Ashes does have gliding mounts.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Probably won't be zeplins to get to floating islands.

No zeppelins??

Where's my refund?

B)
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Technically, being pushed from a mountain is ‘air’ content.

Well, until it’s ground content.

For that matter, every mount is a flying mount.

It’s just that most mounts only fly downward.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Atama wrote: »
    For that matter, every mount is a flying mount.

It’s just that most mounts only fly downward.

“I’m fly- dang it.”
    “I’m fly- dang it.”
    “I’m flyinnnnnng.” *dead*

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    edited April 2022
    Explorable terrain within the skies sounds very neat. I love floating islands that can be explored like those in Nagrand or Pandora. Though, I'm not sure we'll see content in Ashes of Creation anytime soon.

I'm curious, what types of content in the skies do you think would fit in Ashes of Creation, given that flying mounts will be very limited and rare and that scientific nodes may have a form of airship traveling?
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    HumblePuffinHumblePuffin Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Vaknar wrote: »
    Explorable terrain within the skies sounds very neat. I love floating islands that can be explored like those in Nagrand or Pandora. Though, I'm not sure we'll see content in Ashes of Creation anytime soon.

I'm curious, what types of content in the skies do you think would fit in Ashes of Creation, given that flying mounts will be very limited and rare and that scientific nodes may have a form of airship traveling?

I think scientific airships are the whole reason it should be included in someway. While it might be rare to traverse the skies, when you do I hope it’s a thing of wonder that makes the trip very special.
  • Options
    Vaknar wrote: »

For example, if any node reaches a certain level, a new floating island exploration content will be opened.
    Then, the science nodes would have the unique ability to grant ships to take them to those islands, or perhaps the science nodes could sell flying ships for that content.
    Professions would play an important role here. You would need a professional builder to strengthen the ships for travel, etc, things that involve new content and that for that content have more importance, this way you would be encouraged to have that profession mastered and if you are a player who wants to experience that content you will need to master a specific character with that profession.

EDym4eg.png