Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Why 3s DURING Alpha 2 could be VERY beneficial

KDecisionzKDecisionz Member
edited July 2022 in General Discussion
Lets start this off by saying THIS FEATURE does not need to be a final iteration by ANY means and with a quick disclosure "for Data/Testing purposes" get 3s in now you may ask why 3s? I'm glad you asked...

1. A controlled environment
2. Quick combat sessions means ALOT of Data in short periods of time
3. Damage Values can be tuned for each Class/Sub class combination
4. Spell combos with both classes mixed will be able to find out quickly if things work together and what doesn't
5. Effects and Passives work Correctly
6. CC interactions
7. CC Duration bugs and DRs for PvP and open world can be explored there
8. If I get CCed will abilities go on CD if the cast/channel never went off or finished
9. How Dodging feels
10. Flow of Combat
11. Spell damage that may be overturned
12. How good Healing feels
13. Healing in stressful situations how does that feel
14. How easy or difficult is it to place skill shot based abilities
15. Do Buffs and Debuffs work
16. Make sure no one gets super speed after being stunned in a dash (new world had this)
17. If potions are allowed do they go on cd when CCed do they heal over time
18. Ability Bugs (they just might not work at all)
19. FPS drops from spells
20. Crashes from CCs and other things
21. How the UI feels and works for in healing

The list can go on obviously but you get my point. If the team doesn't want it to be about balancing spells damage it still will provide good data/statistics when players encounter these things. The spells not working or being funky will show very quickly and people can send in feedback reports to get bugs hashed out. Lastly my biggest reason i think it could be good is because it will have players using the combat system on a regular basis compared to wandering around the world and killing things. The Data should flow in much faster and may give higher accuracy on fixing bugs/spells/animations/crashes/ETC.

If you read all this just wanna say thank you hopefully this helps even a tiny amount.

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    By 3s, I assume you mean 3v3 arena.

The only thing in that list that a 3v3 arena would do is add a controlled environment. Everything else would happen with just regular testing.

However, since the bulk of the game is specifically intended to NOT be in a controlled environment, I am not sure this would be a benefit.

I'm not saying they shouldn't add 3v3 arenas, but your list isn't giving any valid reasons as to why they should.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    You know what would actually help? Having 8 archetypes to test out party balancing, because that is exactly what they want at the end.

Outside of what Noaani said, I really don't see how arenas would help in any way that is different from just people testing out the game in whatever way they want. You know what would happen though? People would just play around in the arena, not really testing anything but just pvping. I've seen this happen in countless private L2 servers that let people test out the server's features and gave them way more tools than they would have on release. Same shit would happen if you gave people full skillsets and an arena to use them in. It won't be testing, it'll just be pvping for fun.
  • Options
    ElderElder Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Urban Dictionary has failed me. Unless you're talking about a single Chinese lady in her seventies, I have no idea what 3s means.
    Which is the greater folly, summoning the demon or expecting gratitude from it?
    gif.gif
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Elder wrote: »
    Urban Dictionary has failed me. Unless you're talking about a single Chinese lady in her seventies, I have no idea what 3s means.

I am guessing he means 3v3 arena. :smile: I think maybe it's a WoW term?
  • Options
    RaiseRaise Member
    edited July 2022
    Nerror wrote: »

I am guessing he means 3v3 arena. :smile: I think maybe it's a WoW term?

That is the only place I know it from.

I personally think that the game should not be balanced around PvP unless this game wants to end up in a terrible state like WoW is.

They've been "balancing" the PVP there for over +17 years and most of the "balance" seems to be based off the popularity of a build. I like PvP and some aspects of it in WoW, but it is one of the worst games when it comes to competitive PvP.

And by worse I mean a complete joke, controlled by a few classes (healing is heavily abused) and it excludes anyone that wishes to play other classes.
    In War
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2022
    bro, you could have just said it's because you like arenas and want to have some fun during testing, no need to come up with all this BS - intrepid knows what feedback they need better.

I hope they at least have duels in A2 so we don't need to kill eachother to test pvp - and i want to have some fun during testing as well.
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    Unless you're talking about a single Chinese lady in her seventies

giphy.gif
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    Don't arenas typically incentivize instant casts/casts whilst moving? Other longer casts are usually only done during a CC phase or when the enemy is too far away to interrupt you.

I reckon you'll get plenty of more usable data testing larger scale sieges. And tracking all player activities as they venture through the alpha.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• Options
    JindrackJindrack Member, Staff
    At first I thought the OP was just wanting to drop bombs from behind the arc in A2, Steph Curry style...
    design.gif
  • Options
    KDecisionz wrote: »
    Lets start this off by saying THIS FEATURE does not need to be a final iteration by ANY means and with a quick disclosure "for Data/Testing purposes" get 3s in now you may ask why 3s? I'm glad you asked...

1. A controlled environment
    2. Quick combat sessions means ALOT of Data in short periods of time
    3. Damage Values can be tuned for each Class/Sub class combination
    4. Spell combos with both classes mixed will be able to find out quickly if things work together and what doesn't
    5. Effects and Passives work Correctly
    6. CC interactions
    7. CC Duration bugs and DRs for PvP and open world can be explored there
    8. If I get CCed will abilities go on CD if the cast/channel never went off or finished
    9. How Dodging feels
    10. Flow of Combat
    11. Spell damage that may be overturned
    12. How good Healing feels
    13. Healing in stressful situations how does that feel
    14. How easy or difficult is it to place skill shot based abilities
    15. Do Buffs and Debuffs work
    16. Make sure no one gets super speed after being stunned in a dash (new world had this)
    17. If potions are allowed do they go on cd when CCed do they heal over time
    18. Ability Bugs (they just might not work at all)
    19. FPS drops from spells
    20. Crashes from CCs and other things
    21. How the UI feels and works for in healing

The list can go on obviously but you get my point. If the team doesn't want it to be about balancing spells damage it still will provide good data/statistics when players encounter these things. The spells not working or being funky will show very quickly and people can send in feedback reports to get bugs hashed out. Lastly my biggest reason i think it could be good is because it will have players using the combat system on a regular basis compared to wandering around the world and killing things. The Data should flow in much faster and may give higher accuracy on fixing bugs/spells/animations/crashes/ETC.

If you read all this just wanna say thank you hopefully this helps even a tiny amount.

Great idea!
  • Options
    AlacriteAlacrite Member
    edited July 2022
    a team-based arena would increase the frequency of encountering different class/archetype interactions. whatever specific situation between abilities/passives and how that affects gameplay. Also, just increasing the encounters of bugs is a good thing. i don't see why not.