Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Tax system seems excellent

I must admit the tax system of AOC looks wonderful on the paper.

1ff3qhgkmdph.png

I cannot understand how games like New World did such stupid corrupted tax system where single players can benefit billions of gold from taxes.

This system makes me want more to play AOC asap.

Comments

• Options
    Castle node taxes however will go to the guild owning the castle and those 5 castles cover the entire world and will tax separately. You may end up being a vassal of a metropolis and paying taxes to a castle owned by the guild from another metropolis.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited November 2022
    I don't like having just one flat tax for all things

You cant set taxes for different things, for example, having a tax for housing, another for trading, etc
    It's just a flat tax
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »

You cant set taxes for different things, for example, having a tax for housing, another for trading, etc
    It's just a flat tax

What is there to dislike? You get to set a tax rate node wide which make things simple which you seem to like. It also can be messed with to try and fund expansion etc. It also entices people to push for castle ownership which is decided by PvP to give you an advantage as some amount of money would stay within guild.
  • Options
    Strevi wrote: »
    Castle node taxes however will go to the guild owning the castle and those 5 castles cover the entire world and will tax separately. You may end up being a vassal of a metropolis and paying taxes to a castle owned by the guild from another metropolis.

Hey - in Democracy? It's your vote that counts. In Fuedalism? It's your Count that votes :smile:

Can't really tell if you guys are for or against this taxation through the Castles. Yours truly fully supports it, as it's yet another reason to try to be taking the Castles.

• Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited November 2022
    Nova_terra wrote: »

It's just a flat tax

What is there to dislike? You get to set a tax rate node wide which make things simple which you seem to like. It also can be messed with to try and fund expansion etc. It also entices people to push for castle ownership which is decided by PvP to give you an advantage as some amount of money would stay within guild.
    • commerce
    • housing
    • services
    • blacksmith repairs?
    • ship repairs?
    • castles?

That's the bare mininal I would expect, what if I am a mayor who wants set 0% tax no housing so people would keep taxes on other stuff?

Flat tax is mega meh
  • Options
    Nova_terra wrote: »

It's just a flat tax

• commerce
    • housing
    • services

That's the bare mininal I would expect, what if I am a mayor who wants set 0% tax no housing so people would keep taxes on other stuff?

Flat tax is mega meh

Totally understand that people will have different feelings on this but adding additional layers to what is being taxed where feels like it introduces gamey-ness in a bad way and seems like a bigger headache than just having flat tax. At the end of the day I can see value in dropping housing tax if you want people to move in or whatever, but then it becomes a logistic headache of trying to parse out what the various tax rates are in different nodes when all I really want to do is go out in the world and PvP and raid/engage with the actual content.

• Options
    @Nova_terra We pretty much play games with multiple taxes since always, the tax is controled by one guy only when he becomes the mayor

Having different taxes will help creative mayors in dealing with his node's needs.

Also, will quests have payouts in gold?
    Should quests be taxed at all if my node needs xp so it won't delevel?
  • Options
    @Nova_terra We pretty much play games with multiple taxes since always, the tax is controled by one guy only when he becomes the mayor

Having different taxes will help creative mayors in dealing with his node's needs.

Also, will quests have payouts in gold?
    Should quests be taxed at all if my node needs xp so it won't delevel?

I don't think quests should be taxed. I doubt they are changing their stance on taxes and that personally is fine by me.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @Dygz can you confirm if I understood correctly?
    I think I would have said that the taxes go to the Castle and the guild who owns the Castle as some control over how those taxes are allocated. Some of the Castle taxes can be allocated to the guild, yes.
    But... that might be a bit nit-picky.
  • Options
    Myosotys wrote: »
    Parent (Sovereign) nodes take a cut of all taxes from the housing and any services that occur within their vassal node structure.

This is great IMO. Puts some pressure on the neighbor relations by default, will be creating some sweet content.
    85l216cf5coe.gif
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    What happens or use is the tax money when the node is maxed out?
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    akabear wrote: »
    What happens or use is the tax money when the node is maxed out?

Upkeep?

Nodes probably shouldn't have upkeep on EVERYTHING but some buildings/functions would certainly be important enough that it wouldn't be unreasonable to charge upkeep.

From the 'Econ player' perspective, you can't really give players 'a constant benefit for free'. If the thing costs them additional stuff to actually USE like stalls, caravanserai or apartments, sure, but 'NPC Guardhouses' should probably require either donations or constant tax money, not just because 'it's realistic' or whatever, but simply because it's a benefit that can be sorta-exploited and then therefore just 'having it for free' is an issue.

(If you don't want that to be a raw gold-sink, it's a bit harder, but I think Taxed Gold as a sink must by nature be okay in games)
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vast wealth in itself is a strong deterrent to attack, isn't it?

While guards and other functions will use some of the gold collected through taxes, an old and rich Level 6 node may accumulate a large gold reserve. Any group considering a siege against that node will know that the defenses will include all possible equipment, buildings and guards that could be purchased. So having a full treasury is a defense in and of itself.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Nodes
    Encompassing each server are carefully placed points of development called Nodes.[3] There will be 85 regular node locations at launch with 15 additional castle nodes (5 castles x 3 castle nodes each)[4][5][6] for a total of 100 nodes.[7]

If the castle and it's subservient nodes are separate from the other nodes.
    How are they taxed by the other nodes?
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Should they also remove OWPvP? It does give power over players to other players in a sense.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Dolgrin Where will the money come from to build the node building you want to do business with (where caravans start, for example)? Where will the money come from to hire guards when your node is attacked, the guards which will help you win so your housing isn't looted? Where will the money come from to build the shrine which produces the enchant scrolls for your weapons and gear? You want these benefits for free without paying for them? Why are you entitled to that?

You mentioned rl, so I will too. Where does the money come from to make the sidewalks and roads and bridges you use? How is the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) funded to keep airplanes from smacking each other all the time? How do we pay firemen, policemen, military, park rangers, 911 operators and all the other civil servants who make our society run smoothly? Taxes, of course. Yet you don't want to pay them. But I will bet that you complain about potholes in the roads and other government services not being as nice as you wish. Pay higher taxes and you will get those better roads!

You come across as wanting something for nothing in the game as well as in life.
  • Options

It's just a flat tax

Personnally, i'd prefer the ability to set taxes differently for different parts of the economy. More dynamic, more cmplex, more rewarding to the nodes who's mayor manage the taxes better, creates more diversity in economic activity within different nodes, etc. Really interesting point!
  • Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited January 2023

Castle Tax will put pressure on it's vassal and force mayors who initially wanted low taxes have to raise. But it's also a balance act - you go hard on castle tax - nodes will defect, de-level - join a neighboring node that has another castle attached who is more fair.

Nodes may just outright refuse and keep low taxes to increase their status / node level. When it is time for someone seiging - don't be surprised those vassal citizens go against you and put someone new in charge.

Large Guilds / Zergs will own castle but they still bow to it's people they have influenced over. If they dont give a shit about you - you won't have enough supplies.
    While a Zerg of 500 players may seem alot - I assume the amount of people in a node far weights heavier on impacting decisions and getting resources needed to defend. Your guild will be stretched thin on defending n gathering without the will of the citizens across multiple nodes, that you wont be able to control as a zerg. That is 2-3k players in those handful of vassals.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Love seeing a deep dive into the wiki!

We're excited to get these systems ready to not only be shown but experienced in the future during Alpha Two! :)
    community_management.gif