Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

👨‍🍳 Delicious Dev Discussion - Click for tasty treats!

Comments

• There must be some sort of pasta. Perhaps varied by area, how the pasta is made such as with wheat, corn, rice flours. Vegetables even such as a type of spinach or squashes.
    Then the sauces or other parts could consist of whatever the region grows the best. In a Farming area say a type of broccoli sautéed with local herbs and drizzled over the unique shaped pasta.
    Meats of various kinds, sliced thin and cooked to compliment the subtle flavors of the different tasting pastas.

I am personally thinking a carrot or winter squash type tasting pasta with a mild cream and cheese sauce (made at a dairy of course) thin slices of the equivalent of venison or beef. (much like a stroganoff)

We definitely want diversified colored food as well. A plate of food just one color is not appetizing.

Q: will we be able to display all or most of the foods as decorations or will they just sound good and then sit in our inventories?
  • I would also like to see water and forest fowl types to eat.
  • Wizard_BeardWizard_Beard Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Honey Mead, Mutton Stew, Venison, cheesy garlic bread, various pot pies.
    8k9gqa07s9kg.png
  • Beer, mead, and hard liquor making! I'd love to craft your own style of beers al alcohols etc; which you can then maybe name them and serve them in the taverns in the game! Maybe they give a buff of some kind depending on what you used as ingredients/how long you let them ferment. But also there would be some kinda de buff or detriment for drinking the drink.
    Counselor Thorbis Ironguard
    8gedbbrx3feq.jpg
    Dünhold Discord
    Dünhold Website
  • Nothing gated behind a vendor please. No special, or minor ingredients like salt, obtainable from NPC vendors. If something needs salt, let it be from mining. If something needs sugar, let it be processed from syrup. If something needs oil, again, let it be processed from something else.

Ingredients and food should have a TTL, or expiration time. I shouldnt be able to gather milk today, and a week from now it is still usable. Perhaps a magical chest or cold storage could extend it, but nothing forever. Expiration times are needed to keep the economy moving. Salted meats, or generic rations could have extended times, but prepared meals that provide buffs shouldnt be good for more than a couple days.

As for specific dishes, they should be grown organically.. Narrow down ingredients/flavors tied to each race/culture, then look at available major ingredients. Someone in a swamp would have dishes centered around animals that live there, like gators, or crawdads. Plains and farms, beef, mountains would be goats, forest, would be deer. Coastal cultures would have more fish... etc. Only you know the names of all the herbs and critters tied to each biome. Then you can spice up major dishes with ingredients that cross cultural boundaries. Maybe a specific fish/reptile/critter is only edible with a flavor/herb from across the world.
  • Vaknar wrote: »
    Goalid wrote: »
    I'd love to have actual alcoholic beverages in Verra so we could play drinking games from the computer over tavern games.

What kind of cocktails and brews do you think the races of Verra would create and enjoy? Any fantasy cocktails or brews you know of or can think of?

In short, anything you could put your hands on and distil :) I think beverages (and other dishes) from the Underrealm could be particularly intriguing: Capling Gin, Sitari Sake, Mycelian Swill...
  • Arthus DawnbreakerArthus Dawnbreaker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2022
    Most Items i find it best to stay away from current dishes but more medieval dishes helps to keep the emersion in tacked.

FOOD:
    Turkey legs, Stews, Venison, Clam Chowders from the sea,
    Fish & Chips (Perch from the sea and Potatoes from the garden)
    Spit roasted or Grilled Steak Venison
    Lamb or Mutton Stew
    Pumpkin soup
    Fried Cod
    Fried Unagi
    Grilled Raptor flanks
    Shadow Claw Steak
    Prime Jerky
    White Stag Keech
    Smoked Gryphon
    Snake Kabas
    Dragon Heart Curry
    Verran Chili
    Pork Chops
    Cranberries
    Jams
    Syrups (collecting syrup from trees)
    Cakes
    Nuts
    The Phoenix Scorched Pie (like pizza but they dont call it pizza lol)
    Kettle cooked Corn
    Stag Horn Kababs
    Dunzenkell Boar ribs

DRINKS:
    Ale,
    Dunzenkell Ale
    (fruit) Ciders
    Verran Vodka
    The Violet Verra
    Drake Milk
    Snores Slime Shots
  • For me personally I would like to have it simple with a touch of a uniqueness.

In past MMORPG's I was tired of browsing through 100's of different dishes - Potato Salads, Mushroom Soups, wolf jerky, Lox meat pie, Bowl of Sweet and Spicy Butternut Squash Soup, Beef Sandwich and all giving different effects or the same but with more %. Some games had even possibility to enchant food, just for the extra 1% more damage or HP, but increasing the price significantly. Than you go out there in the wilds and you wonder, can I afford an Omelette +3 or better to just run a not spiced one. You farm for 15-30 minutes, oh wait I need to eat food again... "Food check"...

Few foods with decent effects, that give a longer buff, for which the timer stops if you log off. Simple does not mean boring. Make the crafting slightly different for it, make some interesting combinations but do not make it tiresome. There is nothing worse than applying 10 different consumable buffs to your character ever few min - example below:
    • whetstone to your weapon - 30 min,
    • food to get more HP -25 min,
    • drink to get HP regen - 35 min
    • tent buff to have more attack power - 45 min
    • scroll buff to get more exp - 1 hour
    • food for your pet - every now and than
    • food for your mount - every now and than
    Please do not go this direction as this is not fun and kills the joy, as instead of playing you are wondering about the perfect consumables and when to reapply them.

My short take on food :)

asukoilpug5y.gif
  • Brewing, winemaking and distilling!!
  • Lore and food

i know this isnt really the question youre asking, but it would be interesting if when we left verra that we lost access to say, wheat or salt, and that coming back chefs arround the world are like "have you tried this new wheat based pizza dough found in ancient recipes"
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2022
    Vaknar wrote: »
    Azherae wrote: »
    Well, I don't normally get these in games even though they would fit in most without additional itemization.

Lasagna, Tiramisu, Cod Croquettes.

I guess I can imagine that the Cheese Gratin in BDO is a lasagna, but no! I must stand up for my favorites.

You have some 🔥 taste there, friend! 😤✊

Ok I'll be more serious, no point in 'sitting here thinking about it and not adding it'.

I'm gonna do it by 'combination' because it's rattling in my mind, when I run out of 'combination' then I'll probably be able to actually think of something the Designers don't already have on their list because it doesn't fit the basics...

Meat + Spices = Various steaks and sausages (for max attack boosts!)
    Meat + Vegetables = Stews (for when you need something other than just attack)
    Meat + Flour = Meat pies, for HP and attack. Add veggies for Pot Pie!
    Meat + Potatoes = It's on the tin. Basically for those who don't like flour tho.
    Meat + Mushrooms = Stirfry? Sometimes you need Attack AND Mana.
    Meat + Cheese = Chicken parm style stuff, some people eat it w/o pasta.
    Meat + Flour + Other = Now you're in Pasta Territory. Yum.
    Meat + Fruits = This is usually still a steak thing, but moreso Tenderloins? Duck l'Orange?
    Meat + Meat = Moreso things like 'Bacon Wrapped Griffin Breast'. Mm.
    Meat + Fish = Surf and Turf people get pretty creative, but I don't mix Proteins much in life or design.
    Meat + Dairy + Spices = Idk how other people make curry but this is how I do. it even gets mushrooms and veggies but they're not vital.

Vegetables + Spices = Definitely stirfry and cool steamed veggie stuff.
    Vegetables + Meat = Salads can have meat in 'em, don't let anyone tell you different!
    Vegetables + Flour = Tempura. Dumplings. Lots of great stuff from the Phillipines and such too. Lentil Pie (yech)
    Vegetables + Mushrooms = Mm stuffed peppers. Also stuffed mushrooms. Just stuff everything.
    Vegetables + Cheese = So many glorious things but they're all pretty 'bespoke' to the maker.
    Vegetables + Flour + Other = I normally hate this combination. Except conkies which are great.
    Vegetables + Fruits = Special Salads and chutneys.
    Vegetables + Fish = Salads can have fish too! Rise up against salad oppression and eat a Poke bowl.
    Vegetables + Dairy + Spices = It's gotta be an omelet, right?

Flour + Spices = How many different breads do I know? Too many.
    Flour + Vegetables = This is still just bread. Add Dairy and let them eat cake (and cookies)
    Flour + Mushrooms = Here's one I don't deal with often, since 'Cloying/suppress' + 'Earthy' isn't so great?
    Flour + Cheese = Mm... cheese breads.. cheese pie... can never go wrong with cheese.
    Flour + Fruits = A Pie for Every Fruit! A Pie for Every Verran!
    Flour + Fish = Did you know that a croquette is just a small croute?
    Flour + Dairy = I suppose there's cake too (I'm kidding I love cake)

Mushrooms + Spices = Roast 'em, stuff 'em, stick 'em in a stew.
    Mushrooms + Vegetables = I mentioned the stuffed mushrooms right? Can never have too many. Soup is ok too.
    Mushrooms + Cheese = The Titular Glory! Just add bread!
    Mushrooms + Fruits = This is actually moreso done as a liquor thing with meat like Chicken Irene but you can leave the meat out. I forget what it's called then, though. My mentor would be disappoint.
    Mushrooms + Fish = This is surprisingly good with oily fish but I'm blanking on the name again for the good one.
    Mushrooms + Dairy = If not an omelette this is mushroom soup or part of something else like risotto.

Cheese + Spices = What... you don't eat raw cheeses? That's just me then? Oh. Ok.
    Cheese + Vegetables = Saag Paneer and adjacents.
    Cheese + Flour = In my world, pizza is cheese + flour, not the other way around. Also mozzarella sticks.
    Cheese + Potatoes = Cheese fries and Scalloped potatoes can have more cheese than potato, right?
    Cheese + Fruits = The most recognizable is probably appetizer plates. Least? Stuff like Baked Brie.
    Cheese + Fish = Tuna melt goes on top of anything, y'know.
    Cheese + Dairy = You'd think this was an omelet, but have you ever eaten cream soup out of a cheese bowl?

Fruits + Spices = Pineapple juice with spices in it is amazing. Same deal.
    Fruits + Vegetables = We're getting into definitions here. Legal status of this salad is pending.
    Fruits + Potatoes = Ok now you're DEFINITELY at least TRYING to make liquor, right?
    Fruits + Fish = Fried Plantains with Sardines sounds gross. Cause it is. Use Mackerel.
    Fruits + Dairy = Ladies and gentlemen it is finally TIME FOR PUDDING.

Fish + Vegetables = Too many to count. A tail as old as thyme.
    Fish + Flour = Are you frying it? This is how you fry it.
    Fish + Potatoes = Chips ahoy.
    Fish + Fruits = The number of sauces is berry high. Also ceviches KINDA. Mm, ceviche.
    Fish + Dairy = I find it hard to enjoy fish soup with no dairy ingredients personally.

Dairy + Spices = Eggs every which way. I'll take scrambled.
    Dairy + Flour = What would Verrans even call French Toast?
    Dairy + Cheese = Omelette du fromage?
    Dairy + Fish = This goes the other way unless you have some interesting omelet preferences.
    Dairy + Dairy = I guess 'Eggs Benedict' doesn't have to be named after a PERSON. As a Cleric I bless this concept.

Alright NOW that that's done... here's all the stuff I think of that I make or eat or like that doesn't fall neatly into some category or that isn't a common thing to think of:

Melanzane Ripiene - Baked Eggplant stuffed with Ricotta cheese in tomato sauce. Heavenly.
    Quiche - I find Quiche hard to describe, far less define. Custards too.
    Pancakes and Crepes - Easy to forget and probably not that 'mechanically' different than cake, but nice to have in still.
    Tortillas/Nachos - Easy to miss in games along with Tacos despite being a really natural way to make this food type, obviously...
    Turducken - For the determined. How much Attack do you even NEED?
    Skewers/Kebabs - My FFXI is showing. I'd miss them if you missed them, but so it goes.
    Coconut Shrimp - Allow the allergic to enjoy this in the fantasy realm!
    Calamari - Mildly related.
    Onion Rings - This falls under Tempura, right?
    Donuts - This is a dessert that someone always figures out how to make. Verrans are clearly advanced enough.
    Chocolate - Doesn't fall neatly into any categories really.
    Coffee/Tea/etc - if you add too few varieties you will answer to SOMEONE (not me) but adding too many is bloat too. A difficult conundrum.
    Alcohols - Watch that Rating!
    Ice Creams/Sorbets - Those who can easily make these seldom want them. Those who want them have to work to make them. Except me cause I eat ice cream in winter.
    Gumbo and Chili - The question here is 'which stews are regional/special enough to get their own IDs'. There should be cool Verran-specific ones but I wouldn't be able to even guess at them now.

If it were me I definitely would deal with all the sandwiches/pies/etc by just adding bread-stats to the fillings-stats whenever I could and varying the amounts, like for Pepperoni vs Bison Steak (moreso example, neither of these strictly speaking involve bread.

There, now I'm done amusing myself and hopefully at least one other person.

Design is Fun!

EDIT: 'QA' made me fix some colors.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'd love to have actual alcoholic beverages in Verra so we could play drinking games from the computer over tavern games.

What kind of cocktails and brews do you think the races of Verra would create and enjoy? Any fantasy cocktails or brews you know of or can think of?

Oh no you did it again.

I leave this to the professionals. @JustVine you're up.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Well how about Fondue and / or Raclette. They are traditional (swiss) mountain fare and the perfect thing to warm you up after a long hunting trip in the frozen areas.

I generally don't like the Idea of one single kind of food being superior to every other craftable item. It would be interesting to see a kind of "well fed" system, where you would gain more bonuses from food if you eat different kinds of stuff. This would also stimulate economy since people would buy less bulk and more niche items, preventing devaluation when to many people start crafting the same thing and undercutting each other.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Realistic dish names are preferable, with minimal fantasy names (unlike ff14, in which 90% of the provisioning related mats and dishes have a silly name slapped to them).
  • It would probably be styled most like what everyone ate back on Sanctus, so...
    Sanctus Stuff(ing!)
    One thing I do love about devs making really epic recipes is styling it after a world-reknown chef(s?) that is named dropped on the regular by npc vendors, etc.
    They always have a hilarious name and their food is equally hilariously named. It's a small thing but really fleshes the world out.
  • Chilly OGChilly OG Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Chilly here and representing Ashes of Creation's OLDEST Tavern - "Chilly's Tavern" I think our patrons would have a large number of delicious menu options we would love to serve at the Tavern. I will wrangle up some members and see if they can addon to my short list here....

Ale
    Rum
    Beer
    Tea
    Coffee (BECAUSE THATS WHY!!!!)
    Water
    Whiskey
    Burbon
    Wine
    Leg of _____ (fill in the blank) I like Turkey!
    Chicken Dumplings
    Whole Chicken
    Rack of Lamb
    Venison
    Burgers (IT'S 'MURICAN THATS WHY!)
    Hot Dog/Polish Sausage
    Fried Frogs
    Fried Potatoes
    Fried ANYTHING!!! #AMIRIGHT?
    Cookies
    Cake
    Pie
    Ice Cream

I am sure there is a much larger list..... I would advocate a "cooking" skill of course. I need to be able to sell and earn coin in Verra to all the wonderful patrons who stop in for a pint at Chilly's Tavern!

BTW..... we have a great discord community to hang out at and talk all things AoC!!!

~Chilly
    r9L9b6I.png
    Chilly's Tavern Discord Link
    Keep calm Chilly & obviously just laugh!
  • Chilly OGChilly OG Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    and anything from those wonderful posts above!!!!
    r9L9b6I.png
    Chilly's Tavern Discord Link
    Keep calm Chilly & obviously just laugh!
  • VolgaloveVolgalove Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Chilly OG wrote: »
    Chilly here and representing Ashes of Creation's OLDEST Tavern - "Chilly's Tavern" I think our patrons would have a large number of delicious menu options we would love to serve at the Tavern. I will wrangle up some members and see if they can addon to my short list here....

Ale
    Rum
    Beer
    Tea
    Coffee (BECAUSE THATS WHY!!!!)
    Water
    Whiskey
    Burbon
    Wine
    Leg of _____ (fill in the blank) I like Turkey!
    Chicken Dumplings
    Whole Chicken
    Rack of Lamb
    Venison
    Burgers (IT'S 'MURICAN THATS WHY!)
    Hot Dog/Polish Sausage
    Fried Frogs
    Fried Potatoes
    Fried ANYTHING!!! #AMIRIGHT?
    Cookies
    Cake
    Pie
    Ice Cream

I am sure there is a much larger list..... I would advocate a "cooking" skill of course. I need to be able to sell and earn coin in Verra to all the wonderful patrons who stop in for a pint at Chilly's Tavern!

BTW..... we have a great discord community to hang out at and talk all things AoC!!!

~Chilly

I've been wrangled! AHHHH!

I would love to have the option to be a patissiere! I want to make Creme brulee for our patrons at Chilly's Tavern. And I concur 1000% on Fried anything! hahaha

Would definitely love to see Coffee available because who doesn't need coffee in all colors, shapes and forms!
    Maybe an espresso machine item that can be built by another profession for a tavern/eatery to put in. I like where this is going.

Being of Latin descent, we will need Tacos for sure, with any fillings.
    bMXC7ir.png
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Osieris wrote: »
    Brewing, winemaking and distilling!!

That's the right idea! What're your favorite brews, wines, and spirits? Could you put a Verran twist on em'? ^_^
    community_management.gif
  • VolgaloveVolgalove Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    @Chilly OG We need to recruit @Azherae to work at the Tavern! hahaha
    bMXC7ir.png
    Most Items i find it best to stay away from current dishes but more medieval dishes helps to keep the emersion in tacked.

FOOD:
    Turkey legs, Stews, Venison, Clam Chowders from the sea,
    Fish & Chips (Perch from the sea and Potatoes from the garden)
    Spit roasted or Grilled Steak Venison
    Lamb or Mutton Stew
    Pumpkin soup
    Fried Cod
    Fried Unagi
    Grilled Raptor flanks
    Shadow Claw Steak
    Prime Jerky
    White Stag Keech
    Smoked Gryphon
    Snake Kabas
    Dragon Heart Curry
    Verran Chili
    Pork Chops
    Cranberries
    Jams
    Syrups (collecting syrup from trees)
    Cakes
    Nuts
    The Phoenix Scorched Pie (like pizza but they dont call it pizza lol)
    Kettle cooked Corn
    Stag Horn Kababs
    Dunzenkell Boar ribs

DRINKS:
    Ale,
    Dunzenkell Ale
    (fruit) Ciders
    Verran Vodka
    The Violet Verra
    Drake Milk
    Snores Slime Shots

Woah! Look at all these awesome foods and drinks! Love the Dünzenkell Ale and Boar Ribs! ^_^
    community_management.gif
    simpetar wrote: »

In short, anything you could put your hands on and distil :) I think beverages (and other dishes) from the Underrealm could be particularly intriguing: Capling Gin, Sitari Sake, Mycelian Swill...

I LOVE your idea for underrealm beverages!! You're going to really like one of the fun recipes inspired by Verra we'll be sharing soon :wink:
    community_management.gif

LOVE these! These ideas are exactly what I was hoping to see! Could you imagine eating a goblin dumpling... That sounds wrong! Haha!
    community_management.gif
  • JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2022
    Azherae wrote: »

Oh no you did it again.

I leave this to the professionals. @JustVine you're up.

Ok not to get too nerdy about Mixology @Vaknar but there are core cocktail elements on Earth that would parallel in Verra because of the way alcohol itself works.

Therefore it's really easy to see the 'base' boozes being similar:

Wine or some variation of a fermented berry that requires careful temperature and moisture control.
    Vodka or some other pure spirit made from an intensely starchy tuber. This is mostly because you need a fairly taste neutral spirit that is more effected by the equipment that makes and carries it to get either neutral, metallic, or intensely woody notes.
    Whiskey/Bourbon/Sake or some variation of a spirit made from whatever the most starchy 'grain' in the setting. It's more important for Mixology purposes that they be closer to some form of grass as the grassy and earthy notes have a huge part in making a cocktail.
    Beer and the many variations thereof as the more 'easily distilled' grain. They can be used in cocktails but it's usually in some form of sour or carbonation from my personal experience. The point is it has a lot of uses but is a little harder to balance taste wise.
    Rum/Schnaaps and other fruit based spirits that are not related to the 'wine'. They tend to vary greatly in taste and usually are sweetened a lot (or are already intensely sweet) to balance the flavor making them vary widely in use.
    Tequila or any other 'dry' spirit. It usually has a rich earthy flavor that doesn't get easily swamped by sugar and rounds out a lot more savory drinks than any of the above.
    Gin Botanics are going to be found in any world build. There are so many different ways to make Gin it is ridiculous. They add so much to so many classes of cocktail. But obviously you and I know the best is going to involve the berries from conifers.
    Mushroom/Blood/Weird Mushrooms and meat have sugar just like plants but it's a different kind that requires a different fermentation process. You want to talk about weird stuff? Renkai and Tulnar probably have a completely different type of pallet. Especially the more Dragon like species since if they take the 'dragons as cats' approach like many fantasy settings do they are obligate carnivores and may just think of fermented meat and such in that way. But living underground so long and having adaptive physiology means your going to get a ton of weird stuff. All I know for certain is I've had fermented mushroom 'wine' in the past and it was one of the weirdest things I've ever had and I can't even say it was bad XP.

Other notable base ingredients:
    Angostura Bitters, they are a combination of herbs and spices that really create a huge amount of flavor mixing and evolution. I have never had anything else on earth like it that alters the taste of other things so much. But the point is it's a flavorful bitter and this is going to always be found in any planet with a person who likes bitter and alcohol as much as I do. Maybe Verra has regional variations of herb and spice emulsion.
    Absinth always gives things a weird tinge but can make great cocktails that are more on the sweet and umami side.
    (Red)Sangria, (Green) Midori and Blue Curacao alcohols are made from fruits and tend to be strongly sweet or citrus but are most used in alcohol to give wonderful hues and shades that arent really possible in nature without a lot of brute force in the taste department. I imagine Verra will have it's own brightly coloured alcohols for such a purpose. Colour is a big factor in cocktails since it's as much about presentation as it is taste for many people.
    Fire is usually used for similar presentation but it tends to make the smell of drinks an entirely different experience in my opinion.
    Brown Sugar, Cane Sugar, Molasses all have hugely different effects on the evolution of a drink.
    Cinnamon, Hot Damn can it be nice in a savory or sweet drink.
    Milk because sometimes it do be like that though.

Cocktails Types and Categories:

Now that we have covered what the 'base alcohols' are I can throw a bunch of cocktails at you. A lot of them have Earth style names so I'd assume you'd need to change them in order to fit the world better.

Old Fashioned: It's called old fashioned for a reason. It's really hard to screw up in a way that is undrinkable. It's just whiskey/rye/borubon some orange and sugar.
    Manhattans: The quintessential cocktail. Wine, whiskey/rye and bitters. There are so many ways to do this drink you'll probably get alcohol poisoning before you try all it's variation. It has such a subtle classic evolution. A truely refined cocktail
    Japanese Slipper: Midori, Cointreau, and lots of lemon. It's super fruity and looks incredibly bizarre.
    Martini: Yep, counts as a cocktail baby. Gin, vermouth, olive, done. As it should be. You can do it a lot of other ways though. Some people prefer Tequila instead of Gin and lime instead of an olive. To those people all I have to say is 'yep, sure is a Margarita.'
    Pink Lady: One of my favorites in terms of taste and presentation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_Lady_(cocktail)#/media/File:Pink_Lady_with_a_twist_of_lime,_in_a_cocktail_glass.jpg here is a pic since you just have to see how great this thing really is.
    Daquri: Ice is nice. Rum, citrus, sweetener. Really easy, but never hold the ice!
    Hot Toddy: I feel like this is a really underrated drink. Whiskey, lemon, cinnamon, honey. Clears you right up.
    Hot Buttered Rum: It's in the name and puts meat on your bones.
    I really could keep going mate and I'm not even a sliver of the way through.
    There is also the possibilty of using some magical equivalent of dry ice to give your drinks cool foggy/hazy effects!

Point is. There are a tone of ways to mix alcohol. It's a matter of how you mix it, with what sides. As long as your world build has some equivalent of the 'bases' and some of the 'notable ingredients' you will probably be fine and have fun with it.

Alcohol in any video game is something that I find hard to say what it should do because in real life it should mess up your timing and coordination. But in a game I'd think of it as the 'morale modifying' part and tie it to state of mind style stats instead.

If the team ever needs ideas How To Drink is a great Youtube channel that has a ton of 'how to make fictional drink from x media' style things. I tend to love their takes on things especially when it comes to their work on Star Wars drinks. They did excellent with those.

edit: forgot to turn off my swear filter. But kids, you aren't supposed to be reading about this anyway >_>;
    🔦🔱⚔️Selling pro pain and pro pain accessories. ⚔️🔱🔦
  • Vaknar wrote: »
    Osieris wrote: »
    Brewing, winemaking and distilling!!

That's the right idea! What're your favorite brews, wines, and spirits? Could you put a Verran twist on em'? ^_^

There are already so many good examples here. And I am pleased that a large part here has similar views. It would be nice if there were regional specialties, such as a cactus schnapps from the desert region, or seasonal specialties, such as a liqueur made from the Gloomy Pross flower in winter. There would also be a connection between the professions of cook and alchemist, which could promote economic player interactions.
  • LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'd prefer realistic dishes with stuff IRL, I don't like fantasy random food names that are not intuitive and relatable
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    You wish to be a famous master chef cook.

Let's assume for arbitrary sake, the proficiency skill for cooking is capped at 200.
    A node has 6 stages and the minimum node level one can be in terms of Zone of Influence is 3.
    Node 3 is a village. There are 4 types of population node (Military, Divine, Economical, Scientific)

Once your cooking skill reaches level 125, 4 quests will be unlocked, one in each type of node of population. Each with it's own little quest chain that rewards with unlocking recipes or tools or what have you.

Skill 125 = level 3 node x4 locations
    Skill 150 = level 4 node x4 locations
    skill 175 = level 5 node x4 locations
    skill 200 = level 6 node x4 locations

Basically, you would need to travel, find each town to progress.

There will always be a level 3,4,5 node in a zone of influence inside a metropolis node 6.

Like a pokemon trainer, you gotta go around and prove yourself, learn new techniques, culture, etc for the final epic cooking quest at max proficiency 200.

This can apply with all artisan class (processing/crafting)

This in itself promotes travelling, some passive pve content for non-adventurers. 16 towns in total one would need to travel around the world, making a name for themselves before getting the master chef or master profession title and epic reward.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2022
    Cooking has really strong ties to culture (related: religion)!

Borrowing from other fantasy settings I've read/watched/played:

Elves: most likely to be vegetarian, rarely need to eat - one meal sustains them for a long time, but they also can't eat as much as everyone else would. Because of their long age, they have developed sophisticated tastes for particular ingredients. I imagine their cuisine to be like High Class French or Japanese cuisine - very deconstructed and compartmentalized, with a variety of side dishes (especially pickled foods). If they do eat meat, it's proscuitto or lightly flavoured fish. They snack on fine wines and cheese.

Orcs: the hungriest of all Verrans - and if it doesn't have meat, what's the point? Favourite foods are Spit Roasted <beast> doused in a <herb> and <herb> sauce eaten with <wild berry>, the rawer the better. Orcs were historically nomadic, living off the land. As a snack they enjoy lightly toasted critters like worms, spiders and other bugs.

Dwarves: masters of beer and deep fried foods, and candies. Their grandmas ALL think their children are getting too thin and need to put on some weight. Simplicity is the winner here, dwarves want a simple meal that's straightforward to eat between gulps of beer. Deep Fried <earth vegetable> Wedges, Deep Fried <schnitzel/patty>, Gravy and a few jugs of beer. Dwarves are pretty stubborn about the foods they eat, if it already tastes great, why bother trying other foods? Dwarves are known to get cravings for high mineral foods - their body composition demands higher trace element intake - so it's quite common to see them snacking on rock candies, salt candies, or if desperate they've been caught gnawwing on ores.

Humans: Humans have tamed the earth to produce bountiful harvests by the sweat of their brows. Spice and variety are the name of the game, they'll sail oceans to get their hands on more spices. Humans love a good curry, a mixed salad, or a creamy pasta dish. They'll snack on baked goods - cakes, cookies, crumbles. When the world is your oyster, what do you want to eat today?

Tulnar: Desperate times call for desperate measures, but after a few millenia - these things become the norm and you want to try something new. Exotic is the word that describes Tulnar cuisine. Surrounded by fungi, mushrooms usually form the base of their dishes on which they build curiously beautiful (sometimes questionable) dishes. Tulnars are masters of aged and fermented foods which they use to incorporate strangely addictive flavours into their dishes. They love a colourful stew, full of odd things to bite on and noodles to slurp. What? Snake venom sauce?! Little accidents have taught the tulnar how to handle things like the paralyzing puffer-fish dishes, but you need great cullinary experience to prepare those dishes safely.

I don't think races should be limited to only their own cuisines, but it would make sense if you learned how to cook the dishes of your own culture faster than than those from other cultures.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I am not too big on Food BUFFS persay, But I get that we need some.

I believe all FOOD privdes Passive HP regen. Without food in your inventory, you will never self heal over time.
    This is the same For WATER, which provdes Mana Regen.

That's the BASIC, the FOUNDATION to work with and expand on.

Time for Math now.

The Max level a player can be is 50.

We also have 4 different Node types:
    1) Economic
    2) Military
    3) Divine
    4) Scientific

There are 6 attributes in Ashes of Creation which are:

1) Power (Str)
    2) Dex
    3) Con
    4) Will
    5) Mentality
    6) Wisdom

Now personally, I would assign each node type specializes in their own cuisines, which focuses on a specific atrribute.

1) Economic Node = Dex
    2) Military Node = Power Food
    3) Divine Node = Wisdom Food
    4) Scientific Node = Will Food

Obviously you see, 2 attributes are missing and that is with intention.
    I will get to those 2 later.

Now Food/Water Design

Level 1-9 Adventurers will have Basic Food that provides no attributes.
    Level 10-19 - They are able to consume tier 1 foods. Depending on what stats they want to focus, they need to find the respective chef from that node to cook it for them.
    This incentives Long Distance Trading / Caravan / Economy.

What does this mean for the player who is the COOK? If he wants to expand his recipe, he would need to travel to different node cities to unlock the other attribute food via food quests. He/She isnt stuck making 1 attribute food forever.

Rinse and Repeat for level 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50. There is a total of 5 tiers

How would this food buff look like, keep it simple.

+1 (tier 1) to +5 (tier 2)

Food buff shouldnt provide a massive boost imho. Either +1 to the stat or +1%.

This creates, Math wise:

4 attributes per tier and there is 5 tiers. that has created 20 unique food.

Mentality becomes unlocked midway into Artisan and consumable for players at level 30.
    There will be single stats Mentality food at tier 3,4,5. Total 3 food created.
    But also Combo Mentality + Power, Mentality + Dex, Mentality + Will, mentality+Wisdom for tier 3,4,5. That unlocked an additional 9 food.

20+3+9=32 Food.

Level 50 - Con Food is unlock and Combo Food with Con. There is 6 variations of it.
    32+6 = 38.

At level 40 - Combination foods for the 4 stats are now added in.

Power / Dex
    Power / Wis
    Power / Will
    Dex / Wis
    Dex / Wil
    Wis/Will

That adds another 6 unique food
    38+6 = 44

Then, you can make super foods, much rarer, unique to make a nice rounded 50 food recipe book.

Artisan Progression - We know non master can either hit tier 3 or tier 4 progression, so it seems there is a tier 5.
    If I was to put this in terms of artisans skill level cap at 250. We would have 250 divided by 50 food to solve what artisan cook level is required to unlock and create recipes.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.