Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Races and hitboxes

Gui10Gui10 Member
edited January 2023 in General Discussion
This topic has been already been discussed on the forums, mostly in 2020, I would like to know peoples's opinion at this point in time.

I am actually divided on the issue but maybe race choice should not afect hitboxes at all, and each player, regardless of character creator height, race, male or female, should have the same hitbox.

Or maybe, same width for all, but different height (headshot mechanic below).

Also, need to differentiate damage hitbox from physical/movement hitbox (bodyblocking below).

The whole thing does seem like a balancing nightmare and maybe not worth it/necessary at all. The game is mostly tab target at this point, with elements of action combat, we know races will have racial traits, different base stats and such other differences. That's fine, It's important to have races all have their different feel and game play TO A DEGREE. I feel the hitbox is a thing that could be left untouched.

Two examples:
1- (If body blocking will be a thing, which I think it will), imagine requiring 10 vex orcs to block a doorway but 7 ren'kai.. it forces a certain race meta for pvp, which is weird imho and not a thing I look for in a game.

2- The headshot mechanic for critical hits. I dont think the game or community has decided on this yet. But if they DO include it in the game, it obviously be an argument FOR different hitboxes, at least for height. If there are no headshots, then the argument for height variation is much weaker.

EDIT: confirmed no headshots.

The IS team is apparently working on hitbox mechanics and I would assume they are considering several options.

Is it really worth it to you or not? and why? What about a middle ground or same width but different height? Depth? Or other suggestions

Comments

• Hehe, PvP with small hitbox go brrrrrrrrrr
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Gui10 wrote: »
    What about a middle ground or same width but different height?
    This was the first thing I thought of. Same width for bodyblocking purposes, but different heights for different potential location designs. Dunno about head widths though. Could maybe have a slightly wider head on smaller characters to counterbalance the difficulty of tracking a smaller body, though that would probably get figured out in testing.
  • SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Gui10 wrote: »
    This topic has been already been discussed on the forums, mostly in 2020, I would like to know peoples's opinion at this point in time.

I am actually divided on the issue but maybe race choice should not afect hitboxes at all, and each player, regardless of character creator height, race, male or female, should have the same hitbox.

Also, need to differentiate damage hitbox from physical/movement hitbox (bodyblocking below).

The whole thing does seem like a balancing nightmare and maybe not worth it/necessary at all. The game is mostly tab target at this point, with elements of action combat, we know races will have racial traits, different base stats and such other differences. That's fine, It's important to have races all have their different feel and game play TO A DEGREE. I feel the hitbox is a thing that could be left untouched.

Two examples:
    1- (If body blocking will be a thing, which I think it will), imagine requiring 10 vex orcs to block a doorway but 7 ren'kai.. it forces a certain race meta for pvp, which is weird imho and not a thing I look for in a game.

2- The headshot mechanic for critical hits. I dont think the game or community has decided on this yet. But if they DO include it in the game, it obviously be an argument FOR different hitboxes, at least for height. If there are no headshots, then the argument for height variation is much weaker.

The IS team is apparently working on hitbox mechanics and I would assume they are considering several options.

Is it really worth it to you or not? and why? What about a middle ground or same width but different height? Depth? Or other suggestions

I wont count my chickens before they hatch, simply because the team could understand arguments from everyone and change it to where land abilities requires a bit of precision.

Hit boxes aren't an issue as long as they're scaled properly. That means weapon length, arm length, and stride actually mean something.

Being tiny doesn't get you the reach being a bigger race does, but it gets you the geometric framework to be a bit more elusive and nimble.
  • Dolyem wrote: »
    Hehe, PvP with small hitbox go brrrrrrrrrr

yeahh but ... like.. lets be honest! Do you want pvp highscores to be filled with only dwarves just because of something unrelated to skill? This is not a good thing for the emperor! ;)
  • novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Get the smallest race, make the hitbox from toe to head.
    Copy it
    Apply that same Hit box for the rest of the races from head to however low it goes, thighs, knees, shin, ankle, toes.

Most people aim for chest/head and not toes - so this should cover most hits.

no specifics hitboxes, headshots or any of that is needed.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • novercalis wrote: »
    Get the smallest race, make the hitbox from toe to head.
    Copy it
    Apply that same Hit box for the rest of the races from head to however low it goes, thighs, knees, shin, ankle, toes.

Most people aim for chest/head and not toes - so this should cover most hits.

no specifics hitboxes, headshots or any of that is needed.

Sry but that does not make sense... then if you literaly "hit" them in the feet or knees, it wont count for tall races.... THats why imho, if there is no headshot mechanic for aiming at the head, the "copied" hitbox should be actually the tallest char, and action combat projectiles/weapon swings would hit dwarves even if its above their head. .... which doesnt make toooo much sense either, ya know?

So like, what about same width/depth but different height.. tough subject anyway
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.

• Yup, thanks for that! So confirmed no headshots, but they are still undecided on exactly how the hitboxes will work, so I'm sure they are still taking considerations.

Two examples:

EDIT: confirmed no headshots.

body blocking entrances wont be a thing because of momentum. that's the promise made by IS

don't think there will be a headshot mechanic. the game is mostly tab target with some elements of action

because of those action elements, the tallest and fattest character will have a different hitbox than the tiniest, skinniest character. you cant make the hitbox the same, people don't wanna be hit when an axe swings over their head and misses. maybe the weapons hitbox will be a bit wider, or the shortest character will still be at waist height of a regular sized character and get hit by the same swing.

Yup, thanks for that! So confirmed no headshots, but they are still undecided on exactly how the hitboxes will work, so I'm sure they are still taking considerations.

Keep in mind this video is more than 2 years old of development.
  • Depraved wrote: »
    body blocking entrances wont be a thing because of momentum. that's the promise made by IS

BOdy blocking will be a thing! But not "completely" like it was in GW1. SO yeah momentum will allow you to run through people, but if you block a pathway, it will make it harder for someone to run through =)

If bodies do occupy a space, I can garantee you body blocking will be utilized in pvp. We are just not used to it because almost all mmos dont use it at all.

• Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Would seem weird if a stack in a doorway was moved off by momentum. I consider a one person blockage to be confounded by momentum, but, if all avenues are also blocked for the blocked then momentum has no leeway really.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited January 2023
    game is very much tab targeting combat with illusion of action combat much akin to GW2 from what i can see, so hit boxes wont relay be an issue with exception of maybe body blocking
  • dash or teleport behind the body blockers ;3
  • Veeshan wrote: »
    game is very much tab targeting combat with illusion of action combat much akin to GW2 from what i can see, so hit boxes wont relay be an issue with exception of maybe body blocking

I recommend watching the Ranger showcase, since we learned a lot about the targeting systems Intrepid is implementing for Alpha 2.

We know they have three forms of targeting:
    - hard lock
    - soft lock
    - free aim

hard lock is your typical click on target and abilities and attacks hit them.
    soft lock is you aim near the enemy and your abilities and attacks will focus them until you look away.
    Free aim is attacking open space and if the projectile hits, the ability or attack does its thing.

It makes sense to me to have player widths be the same for balance reasons. However, I do like the idea of a tank player who has a larger body, like a Renkai Orc or some sort of tulnar, who can block a larger space because of their size and armor. I don't expect this to be in game tho.

Also, I don't think player height will matter. Maybe they can implement some sort of play where there are secret rooms only accessible by dwarves because of their small height, but that should not be the reason as to why you pick a dwarf.
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    The team is testing different approaches to accommodate varying hitboxes between the races. There may be a single unified hitbox with some exceptions or some special collision rules as opposed to having different-sized hitboxes.

You can read more about this here, on the wiki! https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Hitboxes
    community_management.gif