Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

New class or race

2»

Comments

• Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Bringing this back to the idea of a dragon race -

It can be fun to theorycraft! Even if a dragon race isn't planned for launch.

If a dragon race were to be implemented, what would you have them look like? What would their lore be? How about their culture? :)
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Vaknar wrote: »

If a dragon race were to be implemented, what would you have them look like? What would their lore be? How about their culture? :)

EQ and EQ2 Sarnak are pretty cool.
    Lore and culture. Surprise me. Come up with something different and new. Several books I have read recently ,for example have had the Elves be murderous carnivores that make the Drow look tame.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    Kilion wrote: »
    nanfoodle wrote: »
    Not sure if I did the Math right but adding one new class would make the playable options from 64 to 81 playable options. So one new class is another 17 new playable options that would need to be developed.

Math is right for the number of combinations
    But as they have said before they aren't wholely unique classes.

So they would be building 1 class, working out how to add the 8 existing flavors to it and how to apply that class to the eight existing archetypes...

Honestly, their system sounds cool but feels like it will be a balancing nightmare...

It would be 32 flavors as picking one archetype grants access to 4 schools of augmentation.
    And it would also mean 4 schools of augmentation for 8 archetype skillsets.

The thing about balancing is that Intrepid is not primarily concerned with all classes being equally strong. It was stated that the game will be balanced primarily from an 8-people-group perspective. So there is a chance that a Fighter-(Ice)Mage being stronger 1v1 than a Rouge+Fighter will never be addressed unless there are mechanics not fully applying (primarily the Rock-paper-scissors system not working properly). With that being said - if I remember correctly the whole topic of "balancing" will only really come into focus during the Beta.

I don't know about that. If they made a new ninth archetype they would need 4 new augment flavors, sure. But the same 4 schools will be applied across the 8 existing archetypes. And then the new archetype would have combined with the existing 8. That's 17 new class combinations.

I don't know if different schools of augment are going to give a class that different of a feel. I don't see fighter/mage with ice focus and fighter/mage with fire focus having enough of a difference to think they are two different classes.

And yes I know there will be rock-paper-scissors matchups. What I meant by saying balancing nightmare is more geared toward player desirability. We already know that most people just will choose the most dmg or "best" at what they're going for. Some people will go for what is coolest or most fun looking/feeling to play.
    It's all great in theory, but if there is a school that is subpar compared to the others and literally nobody chooses it... Then why is it even there? Intrepid is going to have a hard time making every archetype into secondary into 4 different augment schools each feeling worthwhile to someone so they don't just get outright ignored. I should have been more clear there, sorry.

Yeah that sound about right.
  • Options

It can be fun for their craft! Even if a dragon race isn't planned for launch.

Lore and culture. Surprise me. Come up with something different and new. Several books I have read recently, for example, have had the Elves be murderous carnivores that make the Drow look tame.

I understand different players prefer their toon to look the way they want or took like a human. It would be nice for the Dragon race to have 2 forms, Human form or Dragonborn humanoid form. Lots of players prefer to make their Dragon race look like Humans and others prefer humanoid Dragonborn. I' myself I like my Dragon race to look like a Human, Horn fixture, tail fixture, and scales fixture, if we have the options to tweak these and make our race look like we want.
  • Options

I understand different players prefer their toon to look the way they want or took like a human. It would be nice for the Dragon race to have 2 forms, Human form or Dragonborn humanoid form. Lots of players prefer to make their Dragon race look like Humans and others prefer humanoid Dragonborn. I' myself I like my Dragon race to look like a Human, Horn fixture, tail fixture, and scales fixture, if we have the options to tweak these and make our race look like we want.
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited April 2023

Lore and culture. Surprise me. Come up with something different and new. Several books I have read recently ,for example have had the Elves be murderous carnivores that make the Drow look tame.

Which books? They sound interesting.

Do they eat Tulnar?
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    The problem with a dragon race is that people would want them to be able to fly, which would detract from the No Flying Except For Big Cheese Guys thing.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 2023
    daveywavey wrote: »
    The problem with a dragon race is that people would want them to be able to fly, which would detract from the No Flying Except For Big Cheese Guys thing.

Instead of a dragon race they could add dragon runts. Little misshapen dragon-like creatures that can't fly. But players can roleplay they are really mighty dragons! Or will be once the curse is lifted.
  • Options

Depends.

They could go the Faerun route (dnd) - Dragonborns that is a blessed bloodline for those worshipping dragons. No flight, but perhaps fire (or other elements) breath and budget gliding?

Or the lizard type (example: Divinity Original Sin). No flight, just Dragon/lizardlike people in an appropriate climate.

When it comes to Dragon humanoid vs. Dragon(like) with humanoid form, then I'd vote for the first. Because RP-wise, anyone can RP as a dragon in human form (if that is what they want). Giving people an actual race reflecting that would bring up a ton of balance Issues. A flightless Dragonborn race on the other side (like dnd Dragonborn) ... Not that different from regular races.
    lizhctbms6kg.png
  • Options

Depends.

They could go the Faerun route (dnd) - Dragonborns that is a blessed bloodline for those worshipping dragons. No flight, but perhaps fire (or other elements) breath and budget gliding?

Or the lizard type (example: Divinity Original Sin). No flight, just Dragon/lizardlike people in an appropriate climate.

When it comes to Dragon humanoid vs. Dragon(like) with humanoid form, then I'd vote for the first. Because RP-wise, anyone can RP as a dragon in human form (if that is what they want). Giving people an actual race reflecting that would bring up a ton of balance Issues. A flightless Dragonborn race on the other side (like dnd Dragonborn) ... Not that different from regular races.

You see, to me, a flightless lizard-character that can use fire just seems like a Tulnar Mage. It's already in-game.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Which books? They sound interesting.

Do they eat Tulnar?

Azarinth Healer.
    The Elves eat anything they can kill and they prefer it raw and wriggling.
    But since everyone already knows elves can't kill Tulnar I would say no they don't eat Tulnar.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options

Depends.

You see, to me, a flightless lizard-character that can use fire just seems like a Tulnar Mage. It's already in-game.

Fair enough, but I'd argue that it depends on the cultural approach that they decide to run with it! There are multiple elven races and multiple human races, but their cultural differences make them feel different.

I just hope Interpid manages to add races in a convincing way. The "Oh this civilisation has been isolated for centuries... But now you found it!" Is only going to work that many times before it feels bland af. :(
    lizhctbms6kg.png