Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Invert mouse..

NemesesNemeses Member
edited May 2023 in General Discussion
Anyone know if this will be available in the game, most older players like me :( prefer to have the mouse inverted, I just don't play games, that its not in.
The Immortals
  • We Lived a Thousand Lives, United we Stand.
  • Recruitment

Comments

• Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    The only time I've used invert mouse was usually in a flight game.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    If you play with an inverted mouse so much - to the point where you wouldnt play a game that doesnt have it where you otherwise would - why not spend 5 minutes setting up a toggle-able utility that does it for you?
  • Options
    NemesesNemeses Member
    pyreal wrote: »
    Not the question
    The Immortals
    • Recruitment
  • Options
    NemesesNemeses Member
    edited May 2023
    Noaani wrote: »
    If you play with an inverted mouse so much - to the point where you wouldnt play a game that doesnt have it where you otherwise would - why not spend 5 minutes setting up a toggle-able utility that does it for you?

It’s never works great on MMO, there to much lag.

I’m guessing by the replies, or lack of, that’s this game does not have mouse invert.
    (Funny enough it was one of the reasons I did not buy when on kick starter)

Most older gamers use it, you can’t use this forum as a straw poll, 2 reasons 1) I would get less than 1% of players come on here 2) the ones who do are mostly younger.

There is very little programming to have this in the game, no excuse imo, not to have it.
    The Immortals
    • Recruitment
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Nemeses wrote: »

I’m guessing by the replies, or lack of, that’s this game does not have mouse invert.
    (Funny enough it was one of the reasons I did not buy when on kick starter)

Most older gamers use it, you can’t use this forum as a straw poll, 2 reasons 1) I would get less than 1% of players come on here 2) the ones who do are mostly younger.

There is very little programming to have this in the game, no excuse imo, not to have it.

This game will not have mods as well for the UI, so unless IS adds it, there will be little you can do.
  • Options
    SpifSpif Member
    Every game I've played in the past 10 years has had invert x and y axis. There's no reason to think this would be left out
  • Options
    Most older gamers use it

Presumably you have a source for that? Not being funny, I'd actually be interested to read on it.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options

You set it up wrong. My assumption is that you didnt have the correct mouse driver installed and were using the windows default (that is an assumption though).

A proper utility will perform this function with less latency than an in game tool doing the same function. In fact, if set up correctly, it will add zero latency.

I'm not saying Ashes wont have this, I am saying if you have ever not played a game for not having this, then that is something you can fix yourself.
  • Options
    tom-cruise.gif
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    edited May 2023
    Not the question

I was making a comment, not answering a question. There's no question mark in your OP anyway, so no question to answer, eh?

'older gamers' use it, eh? How old are you?
    Not old enough to use punctuation so I think you're just being dramatic.

And what MMO have you played with inverted mouse?

I'm 40 tomorrow and as I said, I've never used inverted mouse in other than flight games, or games with flight segments.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I'm 40 tomorrow
    Happy birthday, old man! :)
  • Options
    prymortalprymortal Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Anyone know if this will be available in the game, most older players like me :( prefer to have the mouse inverted, I just don't play games, that its not in.

Not sure if it will be an option, but it can be added as an option in Unreal Engine, Codelikeme did a tutorial on it Ages ago. Not really something the majority want or need for a MMO though.
  • Options
    NemesesNemeses Member
    edited May 2023
    Not the question

I was making a comment, not answering a question. There's no question mark in your OP anyway, so no question to answer, eh?

'older gamers' use it, eh? How old are you?
    Not old enough to use punctuation so I think you're just being dramatic.

And what MMO have you played with inverted mouse?

I'm 40 tomorrow and as I said, I've never used inverted mouse in other than flight games, or games with flight segments.

There always people like you desperate to get in a comment, regardless if it has nothing to do with the question.

I’m sure you will reply again, ego and all that, but don’t worry won’t bother replying to you again.
    The Immortals
    • Recruitment
  • Options
    NemesesNemeses Member
    edited May 2023
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Most older gamers use it

Presumably you have a source for that? Not being funny, I'd actually be interested to read on it.

Just a long history of playing… although I’m sure I read something on it a few years back, if I get time later I will have a look.

In this guild (taking it from when we played swtor) there must have been upwards of 200 in, with around 60/80 over the age of 40, some by a decade or more.

Back in the day, something most people don’t seem to grasp games were made with invert mouse by default.
    A lot of people who invert the Y axis do so because the games they started playing had that control set-up as the default option. This is especially true of older gamers – in the 1980s and early 1990s, flight sims were a hugely popular genre, and of course, the controls would be inverted to match an aircraft yoke or joystick. The chances are, if you grew up with Microsoft Flight Sim or the LucasArts X-Wing and Tie-Fighter games, you have become used to pulling back on the controls to move upwards. This is also the case with some highly influential first-person shooters, including TimeSplitters 2, GoldenEye and Turok, all of which encouraged an inverted Y axis as the correct way to play.
    “When we use a controller, we’re interacting with a fairly complex, and highly adaptable, tool,” says Dr Ross Goutcher, a psychology lecturer at the University of Stirling. “We know that the human brain is highly adept at using tools and that it adapts to tool use. For example, holding a stick changes the way the brain responds to its peri-personal space – the space just outside of an arm’s reach – remapping the areas considered ‘out of reach’. This is consistent with the sense we have of a tool being like ‘an extension of your arm’ when we are sufficiently adept at using it. Thus, I think that learning to use a controller with a sufficiently high degree of skill is likely to involve the development of a fairly ingrained mapping between input and expected action.” In short: it’s not just that you have a casual preference for inverting the Y axis; if you started out on inverted controls, you’ve developed a range of skills that absolutely rely on inversion.

But habitual use is not the only possibility. Inverting or not inverting may also involve differences in spatial perception and the interpretation of information on a screen. One theory involves how the player perceives their relationship with the character or vehicle they are controlling.

“From a cognitive perspective, players who don’t invert are ‘acting as’ the avatar, with movement/steering originating from between the avatar’s eyes, controlling the camera,” says Dr Jennifer Corbett, a lecturer in psychology at Brunel University London’s Centre for Cognitive Neuroscience. “Players who invert are ‘acting on’ the avatar, with the controls either behind or on top of the head controlling the avatar.”

Bit of a text wall, sorry
    The Immortals
    • Recruitment
  • Options

You can set up invert mouse in windows directly FYI.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2023
    I am not sure if it was in present A1. Maybe? It seems like a basic thing to add, but if they don't have it for A2, pester them about it and they probably will.
  • Options
    NemesesNemeses Member
    Myosotys wrote: »

You can set up invert mouse in windows directly FYI.

Does not work for a lot of games
    The Immortals
    • Recruitment
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Imagine if people just fucking answered the OP like a normal person and moved on.. jesus

while we don't have an official confirmation on inverted mouse settings, it is extremely likely that this will be an in-game option, the developers are going for highly customisable options, from keybinding to UI / graphics settings and accessibility.
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Liniker wrote: »
    Imagine if people just fucking answered the OP like a normal person and moved on.. jesus

Because the answer is "nobody knows" - including you and I.
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Imagine if people just fucking answered the OP like a normal person and moved on.. jesus.

People are building up a gradual immunity to their copium and need to huff it in larger and larger quantities now just to be nice. yrpesf3igxuy.jpg
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    NemesesNemeses Member

while we don't have an official confirmation on inverted mouse settings, it is extremely likely that this will be an in-game option, the developers are going for highly customisable options, from keybinding to UI / graphics settings and accessibility.

Be so lucky that people would just answer the question, or if don’t know, don’t reply, but so many people are always just desperate to reply to everything.

I honestly hope it’s in, don’t see why some of the newer games chose not to implement it.

There is a huge huge player-base, 50+ who play MMO’s and the vast majority, play with inverted mouse, and yes I do think I’ve spoken to thousands over the years, which gives me a fairly decent straw poll, on the issue.
    The Immortals
    • Recruitment
  • Options
    NemesesNemeses Member

Then either say that, or don’t reply, don’t waffle about other shit.

The Immortals
    • Recruitment
  • Options

Then either say that, or don’t reply, don’t waffle about other shit.

I offered a permanent solution for the poster in question - one that would work in literally every game ever so that this never needs to be an issue they even consider.

That is a far more useful answer than "nobody knows".
  • Options
    NemesesNemeses Member
    edited May 2023

You set it up wrong. My assumption is that you didnt have the correct mouse driver installed and were using the windows default (that is an assumption though).

A proper utility will perform this function with less latency than an in game tool doing the same function. In fact, if set up correctly, it will add zero latency.

I'm not saying Ashes wont have this, I am saying if you have ever not played a game for not having this, then that is something you can fix yourself.
    You clearly do not know what you talking about, go and try this, it’s shit!

But as I said, you get to waffle more shit.
    The Immortals
    • Recruitment
  • Options

I've set up a number of mouse inverters for family and friends. The only issues I have ever seen have been as a result of the person not having appropriate mouse drivers installed - which is why I said that it was my assumption that it could be your issue.

I agree with you on your point that setting it to invert in windows can add latency, but using the appropriate software on Github will essentially rid you of that latency. It also has the advantage of only switching on when there is no cursor (ie, when you open a game).

The only side effects of it are that there is a half second or so cut in mouse response as it switches in to invert mode, and there is also a slowdown in the X axis speed - but both of these exist natively when a game has an invert mode (though many compensate in regards to the axis aspect by simply speeding up the X axis sensitivity). Unless the game invert function skips over DirectX, it will add at least some actual latency as a whole though (about 4 or 5 ms), the above solution does not have this specific drawback.

Keep in mind here, I am not saying Ashes won't or shouldn't have an invert mode, I am saying we have no idea if they will or not. All I am doing is giving you an actual valid option that works for many thousands of others with your specific preference - one that works in all games, even those you have previously opted to not play due to not having this function.

There is literally no need for comments such as the above - it is entirely uncalled for.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    So much hate and people are trying to help lol.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Hey all! Let's remember to be kind to one another.

To answer your question, @Nemeses , we haven't announced whether the game will feature this setting, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it won't! We will need to stay tuned for more detailed information on settings as we get closer to Alpha Two ^_^

What other accessibility features would you like to see in Ashes of Creation?
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    NemesesNemeses Member
    edited May 2023
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    So much hate and people are trying to help lol.

How does a harsh word, = hate, you must be a terribly weak person.
    The Immortals
    • Recruitment
  • Options
    NemesesNemeses Member

I've set up a number of mouse inverters for family and friends. The only issues I have ever seen have been as a result of the person not having appropriate mouse drivers installed - which is why I said that it was my assumption that it could be your issue.

I agree with you on your point that setting it to invert in windows can add latency, but using the appropriate software on Github will essentially rid you of that latency. It also has the advantage of only switching on when there is no cursor (ie, when you open a game).

The only side effects of it are that there is a half second or so cut in mouse response as it switches in to invert mode, and there is also a slowdown in the X axis speed - but both of these exist natively when a game has an invert mode (though many compensate in regards to the axis aspect by simply speeding up the X axis sensitivity). Unless the game invert function skips over DirectX, it will add at least some actual latency as a whole though (about 4 or 5 ms), the above solution does not have this specific drawback.

Keep in mind here, I am not saying Ashes won't or shouldn't have an invert mode, I am saying we have no idea if they will or not. All I am doing is giving you an actual valid option that works for many thousands of others with your specific preference - one that works in all games, even those you have previously opted to not play due to not having this function.

There is literally no need for comments such as the above - it is entirely uncalled for.

No, it does not, I’m pretty PC literate in most sense of the word, I’ve tried a huge variety of differet programmes, they never work well all the time.
    The Immortals
    • Recruitment