Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Bard Weapons?

Hey there Ashes community!
I am planning on maining a bard on release. I was wondering what people think about instruments as weapons. I personally would love a lyre or a lute as a weapon choice as my vision is to be a street performer. I just think it fits better with a bard instead of just a dagger or something

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Porque no los dos?

(Harps and Flutes take up the same slot as bows in FFXI, but aren't used for attacks, only to enhance songs).
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    00mq9e59hcwx.gif
    Looks weaponey enough to me.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    NiKr wrote: »
    00mq9e59hcwx.gif

One kill wonder?
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Archeage one of the games Ashes draws a lot of inspirations from, had a dedicated musical Instrument(Mainly Flute or Lute) gear slot aswell as the dedicated Ranged/Bow slot that Ashes has, so i wouldn't be surprised if musical Instrument gets a dedicated gear slot or fits into the off-hand item possibilities alongside shields, spell focuses, and sigils.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    NiKr wrote: »
    00mq9e59hcwx.gif

One kill wonder?

just make it out of steel :P im sure it still work as an instrument :p
  • Options
    Bard could also use a flute like a wizard uses a wand, and the effects are more harmonic sound or not.
  • Options
    For my Bard, I'm planning on using actual weapons. I'm desperately hoping the Bard class won't just be a "sit at the back and hold down a Music button" playstyle. I don't need a musical instrument as a weapon, I want to be part of the action.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    MarcetMarcet Member
    I guess you can use weapons from your second archetype, if not just hit them with the trombone, monsterhunter has a cool bard weapon too
  • Options
    SweatycupSweatycup Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2023
    I think it should be a choice. But my question is what other weapons non musical would a bard wield? If that is the case would it not just make sense to have bard only available as a secondary class combination and no pure bard bard build? Or do you leave it to what your race normally uses like a dunir bard with a heavy mace? I prefer to have secondary useable musical instrument slots like a quiver slot for a ranger. But make it useable with abilities. Also i believe theyve said bard encompasses storytelling and singing? Im prolly missing something. So to spend time on unique instruments might seem like a waste to most. But im still in the camp that see’s a bard as a entertainer and support mostly depending on combination. Also supporting classes play a larger role in aoc as we have been told. However personally im not convinced yet and could flip flop like freeholds.
  • Options
    SjeldenSjelden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2023
    daveywavey wrote: »
    For my Bard, I'm planning on using actual weapons. I'm desperately hoping the Bard class won't just be a "sit at the back and hold down a Music button" playstyle. I don't need a musical instrument as a weapon, I want to be part of the action.

Based on the information found on on the wiki (https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Bard ), a bard will not be a background afk buff dispenser. Now they will be a dance mat dispenser.

More seriously though, it sounds like positioning will be a key focus for bards. Music and instruments may very well be optinal.
  • Options
    SjeldenSjelden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2023
    instruments as weapons

193 nations in the world register bagpipes as weapons of mass destruction. To my knowledge, bagpipes are greenlit. You are in luck - but we may not be.

On a more serious note, I hope they clearly separate tools from weapons, and think they plan to.
    Improvised weapons are as good as improvised drama.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    edited July 2023
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Vaknar wrote: »

Lol. That image has me stumped lol.

Edit: Ah. The gif was perfect :) bravo.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Neurath wrote: »

Lol. That image has me stumped lol.

Edit: Ah. The gif was perfect :) bravo.

Serious GIF fail lol.
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    v36wfg8p0xvo.gif

2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Sorted :)
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options

Just put the url in img tags :)
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »

Just put the url in img tags :)

Didn't work. Had to save to disk and upload the file ;)
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif