Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The Abyss's Embrace

KalnazzarKalnazzar Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Greetings, esteemed adventurers of the Ashes of Creation community!

As a fervent observer of the game's development, I am filled with anticipation for the boundless possibilities that lie ahead. When pondering the prospect that excites me most in-game, my thoughts gravitate toward a concept inspired by the mesmerizing world of "Made in Abyss." Allow me to share an ambitious idea that could shape the landscape of Verra forever—a colossal and enigmatic abyss that beckons the daring to explore its unfathomable depths.

Picture this: a monumental chasm that plunges beneath the surface, unfurling into a realm where the rules of nature are transformed. With gravity itself flipped, an inverted ocean suspends in the air, harboring astonishing ecosystems and entrancing vistas that defy imagination. At each descending layer, adventurers would encounter not only distinct ecosystems and life forms, but also the paradox of traversing through a gravity-defying expanse. The spectacle of an ocean hanging above as we delve deeper into the abyss is a vision that ignites the imagination.

Much akin to the captivating layers of the anime's abyss, each depth level within this chasm could unveil an entirely new world, teeming with both awe-inspiring marvels and heart-pounding perils. From radiant bioluminescent life illuminating the lower tiers to eerie shadows shrouding the abyssal unknowns, the sheer diversity of environments and creatures would stand as a testament to the profound creativity of the development team.

Now, before delving into this discussion, I am aware of the impressive underground realm that has been unveiled. Yet, the concept I wish to introduce extends far beyond the boundaries of what we've seen—a depth that plumbs the very essence of Verra. Picture, if you will, a realm governed by one of Verra's revered "Gods," a domain untouched by time and steeped in mysteries as ancient as creation itself.

To navigate this abyssal world, fresh mechanics such as ethereal climbing, aerial exploration, and encounters with gravity-bending creatures could offer exhilarating gameplay opportunities. The abyss might pulsate with its own dynamic events and evolving narratives, adapting to the players' actions and discoveries as they unravel the enigmas within.

Introducing such a profound feature would undoubtedly redefine Ashes of Creation's trajectory, elevating it to unprecedented heights—both metaphorically and literally, in this case. It would serve as a testament to the developers' relentless innovation and dedication to constructing an immersive and captivating realm.

In conclusion, dear fellow adventurers, when I envision the future of Ashes of Creation, it is the mysterious abyss that holds sway over my imagination. Embarking on an odyssey that rivals the epics of yore, delving into the depths of this surreal expanse would be a journey like no other.

I am grateful for this opportunity to share my vision, and I await with eager anticipation the thrilling adventures that await us all within the realms of Verra.

Fare thee well, and may our paths converge within the abyss's embrace.

Sincerely,
[Keldarien Wrynn]

Comments

• Options
    Kalnazzar wrote: »

Picture this: a monumental chasm that plunges beneath the surface, unfurling into a realm where the rules of nature are transformed. With gravity itself flipped, an inverted ocean suspends in the air, harboring astonishing ecosystems and entrancing vistas that defy imagination. At each descending layer, adventurers would encounter not only distinct ecosystems and life forms, but also the paradox of traversing through a gravity-defying expanse. The spectacle of an ocean hanging above as we delve deeper into the abyss is a vision that ignites the imagination.

if gravity was reversed, and the ocean was above us, doesnt that mean we would also be walking "on the ceiling" because gravity is also affecting us? so from our point of view, when we looked at the ocean, we wouldnt see it on top of us, it would look "normal" and it would be at our feet.
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »

if gravity was reversed, and the ocean was above us, doesnt that mean we would also be walking "on the ceiling" because gravity is also affecting us? so from our point of view, when we looked at the ocean, we wouldnt see it on top of us, it would look "normal" and it would be at our feet.

Thank you for raising a thought-provoking point regarding the concept of an inverted abyss with reversed gravity and an ocean suspended above us. You're absolutely right—our perception of what's "above" and "below" would indeed be transformed in such a setting. The very essence of exploration within this unique abyss would require a significant shift in perspective and the need for specialized gear and abilities to navigate its depths.

When considering the idea of exploring an environment where gravity behaves differently, it's crucial to envision a world that challenges our conventional notions. As adventurers, we would require a new set of tools and abilities to traverse this unconventional landscape effectively. The ocean suspended above us would indeed act as a gravitational anchor, and reaching the "floor" would be a complex endeavor.

To address this, imagine the necessity of specialized gear and techniques that allow us to defy conventional gravity. As we plunge through the inverted ocean, these tools would aid us in maintaining the correct orientation and progressing downwards. Upon reaching the ocean's floor, we'd transition into an even more complex environment—one where exploring the abyss's true depths demands equipment designed to counteract the reversed gravitational pull.

Picture it like a gradual process: stepping into this abyss would require more than just a leap of faith. It would necessitate the acquisition of gear that not only allows us to overcome the ocean's pull but also adjust our orientation to the new gravitational norms. These tools would enable us to explore deeper layers, where gravity's influence might become even more distorted and challenging to overcome.

This kind of exploration would indeed be a unique blend of strategy, skill, and innovation. The allure of delving into such depths would not only be driven by the breathtaking landscapes but also the thrill of mastering the art of exploring in an environment where the laws of nature are turned on their head.
  • Options

Thank you for raising a thought-provoking point regarding the concept of an inverted abyss with reversed gravity and an ocean suspended above us. You're absolutely right—our perception of what's "above" and "below" would indeed be transformed in such a setting. The very essence of exploration within this unique abyss would require a significant shift in perspective and the need for specialized gear and abilities to navigate its depths.

When considering the idea of exploring an environment where gravity behaves differently, it's crucial to envision a world that challenges our conventional notions. As adventurers, we would require a new set of tools and abilities to traverse this unconventional landscape effectively. The ocean suspended above us would indeed act as a gravitational anchor, and reaching the "floor" would be a complex endeavor.

To address this, imagine the necessity of specialized gear and techniques that allow us to defy conventional gravity. As we plunge through the inverted ocean, these tools would aid us in maintaining the correct orientation and progressing downwards. Upon reaching the ocean's floor, we'd transition into an even more complex environment—one where exploring the abyss's true depths demands equipment designed to counteract the reversed gravitational pull.

Picture it like a gradual process: stepping into this abyss would require more than just a leap of faith. It would necessitate the acquisition of gear that not only allows us to overcome the ocean's pull but also adjust our orientation to the new gravitational norms. These tools would enable us to explore deeper layers, where gravity's influence might become even more distorted and challenging to overcome.

This kind of exploration would indeed be a unique blend of strategy, skill, and innovation. The allure of delving into such depths would not only be driven by the breathtaking landscapes but also the thrill of mastering the art of exploring in an environment where the laws of nature are turned on their head.

ok but then how are we going to fight mobs inside this area, if they will all be "on the ceiling" far from us, and if we get to kill them using ranged skills (in case we can reach, the range is 35m so far) how are we going to loot them?

also, how are we going to loot treasure chests or anything really, since everything was pushed up to the ceiling.. do we need flying mounts? do we need to turn off our specialized gear? the "fall" would kill us.
  • Options

ok but then how are we going to fight mobs inside this area, if they will all be "on the ceiling" far from us, and if we get to kill them using ranged skills (in case we can reach, the range is 35m so far) how are we going to loot them?

also, how are we going to loot treasure chests or anything really, since everything was pushed up to the ceiling.. do we need flying mounts? do we need to turn off our specialized gear? the "fall" would kill us.

The key to understanding this concept lies in the fact that the rules within this abyss would be defined by the developers' creative vision. In response to your concerns about combat and looting, imagine that the gravity is not uniformly reversed throughout the entire abyss. Instead, specific zones could have gravity orientation flipped, such as the upper half of the chasm where the ocean water is trapped. This would allow mobs and loot to exist closer to adventurers, ensuring that combat and looting mechanics remain viable.

To address your concern about treasure chests and loot, consider that the developers could introduce mechanisms to assist players in reaching these items. For instance, treasure chests could be anchored to specific structures that remain within the gravity-oriented zones. Alternatively, crafting specialized equipment, like climbing gear designed for this inverted environment, could open up opportunities to access hard-to-reach places.

Regarding the risk of falling and dying due to transitioning between gravity orientations, the introduction of items or spells that temporarily counteract gravity could provide a solution. This would allow players to navigate these transitions safely, maintaining a balance between challenge and accessibility.

Furthermore, the idea behind this inverted abyss is to create an awe-inspiring and fantastical environment where conventional rules are bent. It's a chance to witness something truly extraordinary, to explore and conquer a world where reality is malleable. While it might introduce challenges, it also opens doors to innovation, strategic thinking, and novel experiences that break away from traditional MMORPG norms.

As an additional supportive idea, imagine if there were settlements or structures constructed within this abyss. These settlements could incorporate their own unique mechanics, like anti-gravity platforms or mechanisms that allow players to interact with items regardless of the gravity orientation. This would not only encourage exploration but also provide a sense of immersion and connection to this unconventional world.

In conclusion, the essence of this inverted abyss is to explore the unexplored, defy the expected, and embrace the fantastical. While it may present challenges, the creativity and innovation involved in its design could lead to an experience that sets Ashes of Creation apart from other MMOs. It's about stepping into the unknown, adapting to its rules, and finding new ways to triumph in a world where gravity and conventional norms are reshaped.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Cool expansion!!
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    yup - toss it in, I'll jump down
  • Options
    We shall not speak about gravity in fantasy games!
  • Options
    Caww wrote: »
    yup - toss it in, I'll jump down

Same I will find and craft the gear then jump in to find even more rare stuff for crafting.
  • Options
    Raven016 wrote: »

If done correctly it would be a game-changing experience and as far as I know, would be the first in a game as well especially a MMORPG.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    It's always fun to theorize and create ideas for what could be cool in a fantasy MMORPG! Love seeing creative ideas being posted on the forums <3
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    Raven016Raven016 Member
    edited August 2023
    Picture this: a monumental chasm that plunges beneath the surface,
    A new ecosystem has been discovered in volcanic cavities beneath hydrothermal vents
    https://phys.org/news/2023-08-scientists-ecosystem-hydrothermal-vents.html
  • Options

If done correctly it would be a game-changing experience and as far as I know, would be the first in a game as well especially a MMORPG.

I think it would just be a map with water on the ceiling...
  • Options

I think it would just be a map with water on the ceiling...

I completely understand that this concept might not align with everyone's preferences, , I'm genuinely glad I had the opportunity to share something I find incredibly intriguing and fitting within the game's universe.

The notion of descending layer by layer into an abyss, peeling back its mysteries and discovering its hidden treasures, holds a distinct allure for me as well. The excitement of unearthing artifacts that provide insights into past civilizations and the history of the chasm is something that truly captivates me. These depths could potentially hold narratives that enrich the overarching lore of the game, creating a sense of immersion that's truly exceptional.

In addition to the exploratory aspect, I also envision an exciting potential for PvP engagements within an environment like this. While not initially suggested, the unconventional setting could serve as a backdrop for intense and strategic battles that deviate from the norm. The very nature of this abyss could provide unique tactical advantages and challenges, adding a layer of complexity to player-versus-player interactions that could appeal to those seeking competitive gameplay.

Ultimately, while this concept might not garner universal agreement, the beauty of game development lies in the diversity of ideas and visions that can be explored. I'm grateful for the opportunity to share my thoughts and dreams for Ashes of Creation, even if they don't resonate with everyone. The passion we all hold for this game contributes to its evolution, ensuring that the final product is a harmonious fusion of varied perspectives and boundless creativity.
  • Options
    now im just more confused @_@
    like you can get that with any open world dungeon if i understand what you mean. for example, the tower of carphin, except you are going up instead of going down xDD
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Cool expansion!!

I would actually see it being an expansion something after the launch of the game.
  • Options
    Really cool concept!

Perhaps gaining mastery of the abyss as a reward for your activities in it could enhance your skills in the zone slightly, as well as improving your traversal capabilities through its depths etc
  • Options
    PlasticLemonsPlasticLemons Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Throwing in my support for this idea. If intrepid ever decides to pursue the Void, I think this is a really fun way to have it.

Access points to this underunderrealm could be revealed by different nodes reaching criteria. Would also be a ton of fun as an “endless dungeon” kind of content.

+1
  • Options
    Roars wrote: »
    Really cool concept!

Perhaps gaining mastery of the abyss as a reward for your activities in it could enhance your skills in the zone slightly, as well as improving your traversal capabilities through its depths etc

haha funny you mention this XD I was kind of working on an idea for how this could be done, read more below and remember these are just ideas. [Envision a world beyond the ordinary, a realm where the very laws of nature bend to create a breathtaking tapestry of wonder and danger. That's the concept at the heart of the inverted abyss—a place that beckons adventurers to embark on a journey of unprecedented discovery. But what if this journey could become more than just a thrilling expedition? What if it could transform into a unique profession that offers limitless opportunities and the promise of unparalleled rewards?

Consider this: as you venture deeper into the chasm, layer by layer, you uncover not only the secrets of forgotten civilizations but also the rarest of materials. Imagine crafting gear that not only defies the chasm's challenges but enables you to push your exploration to even greater depths. This is the essence of the Chasm Diver—an exclusive profession that encapsulates the spirit of exploration and innovation.

As a Chasm Diver, you don't just navigate the abyss; you master it. With each descent, you gather unique insights, harnessing the chasm's mysteries to unlock specialized abilities and craft gear that can withstand the abyss's harshest tests. The more you explore, the greater your proficiency becomes, offering you access to previously unimaginable tools, equipment, and knowledge.

This isn't just a journey; it's a profession that evolves with you. Picture yourself uncovering ancient techniques to create gear capable of withstanding the abyss's shifting gravity and harsh conditions. Envision discovering the secrets of resilient materials that allow you to craft armor and weaponry designed to conquer the chasm's unknown dangers. The Chasm Diver profession isn't just about what you gain—it's about the transformation you undergo as you become a true master of this enigmatic realm.

However, while the idea is rich with potential, the execution holds its own set of challenges. The integration of this profession, the seamless connection between abilities, gear, and progression—it's a delicate balance that requires careful crafting by the developers. The path forward isn't certain, but the possibilities are endless.

In conclusion, the idea of the Chasm Diver profession encapsulates the essence of Ashes of Creation—a world where uncharted territories offer unique rewards for those brave enough to explore them. It's a profession that embodies the pioneering spirit of the game, offering players a chance to not just play the game, but to reshape it through their journeys of discovery.

So, as we gaze into the abyss, let's consider the uncharted potential of the Chasm Diver profession. It's a chance to be part of something groundbreaking, to push the boundaries of what's possible, and to carve a niche for yourself in the ever-evolving tapestry of Ashes of Creation.

Are you ready to dive into the unknown and emerge as a true Chasm Diver?]
  • Options
    Throwing in my support for this idea. If intrepid ever decides to pursue the Void, I think this is a really fun way to have it.

Access points to this underunderrealm could be revealed by different nodes reaching criteria. Would also be a ton of fun as an “endless dungeon” kind of content.

+1

I know I was reading some of the lore on the void and came up with some ideas to tie it together. Revelations from the Abyss: Embrace the Legacy of The Others

Venture into the Void: A Journey of Cosmic Conflict

In the heart of Ashes of Creation's lore lies a tale of cosmic conflict that shaped the very fabric of the world. Immerse yourself in the enigma of "The Others," three of the ten gods whose intricate dance with the essence redefined the fate of creation. The universe shuddered as the gods taught all facets of the essence, both light and darkness, to the Ancients, ushering them into the realm of divinity itself.

A Clash of Titans: The Celestial Battle

Picture a great celestial battle, a clash of gods whose mastery of the essence spawned both benevolence and corruption. As The Others embraced the essence's dual nature, they lifted the Ancients to the plane of the gods, transcending the realms in a dance that mirrored the balance between light and shadow. Yet, opposition arose from The Seven, gods whose unwavering commitment to purity ignited a cosmic struggle of epic proportions.

The Abyss Beckons: The Chasm's Origins

From this conflict emerged a phenomenon that echoed their celestial strife—the birth of "The Chasm," a colossal void that embodies the culmination of their battle. Within its depths, an abyss of cosmic significance unfurls—a realm of perpetual turmoil, resonating with the essence's harmonious duality and the lingering energies of The Others' teachings.

Chasm Diver: Architects of Destiny

Enter the Chasm Diver, a profession that transcends the boundaries of time, reality, and moral dichotomy. These fearless pioneers venture into the very core of the abyss, wielding the essence-infused abilities passed down from The Others themselves. As a Chasm Diver, you wield the essence's full spectrum, both light and shadow, unlocking potential unattainable by others.

A Conduit of Balance:

Descend into the depths of "The Chasm," a realm where the legacy of The Others weaves its tapestry through every shadow and glimmer. Craft your path as you harness the essence's duality, mastering the power of light and darkness to traverse the abyss. The Chasm Diver's journey mirrors the cosmic dance between The Others and The Seven, encapsulating the eternal struggle for equilibrium.

Unravel the Veil:

Explore the echoes of The Others' teachings as you uncover hidden truths within "The Chasm." The lore of the Ancients, now eternally bound to this void, intertwines with the essence's harmony, offering insights into the cosmic drama that once shook the universe. As a Chasm Diver, you become a seeker of enlightenment, unveiling the multifaceted nature of creation itself.

Harbingers of Destiny:

Becoming a Chasm Diver transforms you into a living embodiment of the balance that shaped the world. Your journey echoes the celestial dance, from the harmony of The Others to the determination of The Seven. Just as The Ancients transcended to divinity, you too rise above, shaping the course of history with every plunge into the abyss.

The Cosmic Symphony Awaits

Prepare to be part of a story that spans the cosmos, as "The Chasm" and the legacy of The Others beckon. Will you take up the mantle of the Chasm Diver, embracing the essence's dual nature to uncover the universe's most profound secrets? The very soul of creation lies within your grasp, and your journey begins now.

Will you be the one to delve into the void, wield both light and shadow, and become a harbinger of equilibrium? The legacy of The Others awaits your discovery.