Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

A piece of feedback about the Extra Life Key giveaway

13»

Comments

• Options
    Hum, I have fully another feeling this year and have mostly positive feedback.
    I found the giveaway this year more organized than by the past and didn't found it messy at all. The process was quite clear and trasparent. Give aways started mostly directly after reaching the milestones and I found it awesome that for that time the chat was permissions limited so that everyone had a good overview over winnings.

The stream was awesome with tons of funny stuff!:)
    Thanks for everything you are doing, Interpid!
  • Options
    HartassenHartassen Member
    edited November 2023
    MindFork wrote: »
    Hum, I have fully another feeling this year and have mostly positive feedback.
    I found the giveaway this year more organized than by the past and didn't found it messy at all. The process was quite clear and trasparent. Give aways started mostly directly after reaching the milestones and I found it awesome that for that time the chat was permissions limited so that everyone had a good overview over winnings.

The stream was awesome with tons of funny stuff!:)
    Thanks for everything you are doing, Interpid!

Did you really think it was clear and transparent when multiple giveaways happened without announcing the winner, just "winners get dms".

The last giveaaway they announced 19 winners and then announced the remainder would go out in whispers.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Why cant Steven just give access to whomever he wants?
    Why rig the livestream?
  • Options
    ItsFayneItsFayne Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The entitlement in this post is amazing.
    7l7hsjx.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    ItsFayne wrote: »

It isn't entitlement, but most people that throw that word around don't actually know what it means, so it's understandable that you would use it.

NiKr is posting hoping for an improvement, he is not asking for a key. That is almost the complete opposite of entitlement.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »

It isn't entitlement, but most people that throw that word around don't actually know what it means, so it's understandable that you would use it.

NiKr is posting hoping for an improvement, he is not asking for a key. That is almost the complete opposite of entitlement.

Exactly, nobody here is saying they didn't get a key, "GIVE ME A KEY!!!" They're saying if they're going to keep doing giveaways they can put some effort into making them fair.

I guarantee you at least half the people watching where in it for the giveaway. ~1700 people watched during giveaways and about 900 during minecraft stream, chat went from barely active to insane spam whenever a giveaway happened.

The fact of the matter is key giveaways attract viewers.
  • Options
    Hartassen wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »

Exactly, nobody here is saying they didn't get a key, "GIVE ME A KEY!!!" They're saying if they're going to keep doing giveaways they can put some effort into making them fair.

I guarantee you at least half the people watching where in it for the giveaway. ~1700 people watched during giveaways and about 900 during minecraft stream, chat went from barely active to insane spam whenever a giveaway happened.

The fact of the matter is key giveaways attract viewers.

You're not wrong... the keys were incentives to participate. Many charity events work this way to encourage more people to show up and participate.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It was actually quite sickening to see the requests to donate by people who didn't donate. It was constant in between the spam events. Kind of cheapened the whole drama for myself. Still, I don't think the experience could've been avoided. People would have begged for donations no matter how the give aways were performed. Not even the Radys account begged for donations. Radys just said. 'The community is awesome.'
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    HartassenHartassen Member
    edited November 2023
    It was actually quite sickening to see the requests to donate by people who didn't donate. It was constant in between the spam events. Kind of cheapened the whole drama for myself. Still, I don't think the experience could've been avoided. People would have begged for donations no matter how the give aways were performed. Not even the Radys account begged for donations. Radys just said. 'The community is awesome.'

Yes and one of these people won an alpha 2 key due to the fact they they spammed chat and ended up being one of the last people to type and therefore were selected by the malfunctioning bot.
  • Options
    In the end, they were free key give aways. Intrepid made a few choices in how to approach it and handed out keys.... Not a big deal really. Had hundreds watching.... not all were going to get a key. I am glad to see the stream got funds for the cause and the intrepid staff overall seemed to enjoy themself.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Hello all <#

As always, we appreciate the feedback! Thank you!

I wanted to clarify a few things - Our volunteer moderators did not conduct the giveaways. The giveaways were done solely by Intrepid Studios staff. Only a specific few Intrepid Studios employees use the official Ashes of Creation handle. Volunteer moderators helped by moderating chat and assisting in communication like they generally do for all livestreams :)

Great job on raising over $36,000 for Rady Children's Hospital!

For the kids!
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    ShadowVenShadowVen Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This doesn't even matter. Just seems like people looking to complain to complain about something. Not everything is going go like they wanted or planned. Things happen and it's a give away. No matter how it's given out, it's still freely given from the generosity of the devs.
    z1ll9rrad5qo.png
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited November 2023
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    It was a mess. Luckily I have the money for the key, so I won't feel too upset about it, but for future optics for the company I'd suggest a much better way of doing this.

Keys were being distributed, assumedly, through a twitch chat bot that was tracking chat activity. I took these pics (shown below) during the 50 key giveaway, but there were a few smaller ones before that.

The first few giveaways went seemingly "fine". The bot found some chatters and then mods supposedly gave them out keys. They'd stop chat and the bot would post names of chosen players.

7tv allows users to see a short history of messages of other users (seemingly only from the period of the latest few minutes). During the first few giveaways some people used that feature to look at those who got keys and saw that those users "didn't have history of messages" (which I assume simply meant that they were active within an hour or two, instead of the last few mins). And the ones who found that out commented on this fact.

The next few giveaways had "technical issues", so usernames weren't posted in chat and mods supposedly gave out keys w/o chat knowing who received them. I assume this was the case because the tracker could no longer properly track hours-worth of messages. Alternative is that mods changed the tracker settings from hours to minutes.

The alternative becomes a definitive fact for later giveaways because mods simply said "be active right now, because giveaway is going on; you'll get a pm if you win". Which means that the setting was most likely 1min. Winners weren't announced.

Then we come to the last giveaway of 50 keys. I assume picking out random people from the spam was difficult, so mods decided to come back to the first version of the giveaway, but with the 1min setting. So they'd stop the chat completely, after the chat had been spamming messages for a while because mods said to be active cause giveaway would start soon.

And here's where we come to a problem. Throughout the entire stream mods been saying that spamming chat won't increase your chances of getting a key (I assume to try and lessen the spam, and because 1-2h setting of the bot would've caught their message). But here's how the first 19 key winners looked like against the latest messages in chat.

Here's how to read the picture. The right part goes bottom-up right-to-left. So remorni was the latest message in chat before the giveaway and czejkenwow's was the earliest (kaprin's and mine messages are repeats to show the cuttoff). The left part is the winners of the giveaway. There you read them up-to-bottom left-to-right. Remorni was the first winner and Atwood was the last announced in chat winner.
    we6ild8pibsp.png

As one might notice, all 19 names were within the latest ~30 names in chat. I assume mods noticed this "peculiar" function of their bot, so the rest of the keys were given out by hand w/o announcing winners in chat.

Now, I won't deny that I'm a fair bit butthurt. I spent the last 27h paying attention to the donation values and repeatedly typing smth in chat to upkeep my activity at all times. I missed another opportunity to try for giveaways during the previous stream, because I didn't know this particular rule for the giveaway (and I don't know if it was explained anywhere before the stream).

Due to some other circumstances I only slept 4h in the last 2 days, because I knew this would be the last chance to try to win a key in a giveaway. Now, the 4h is totally on me (although the previous stream did went over 2h the plan), but the 25h of stream still stands.

So, obviously, having noticed the "peculiar" function of the bot beforehand, I spammed messages quite a bit, in order to be within the latest messages (as obvious by 3 messages within the latest 30). So when NINETEEN OUT OF 30 names got picked, while mine didn't - it stung quite a bit.

When mods announced the invisible giveaway after the 19th winner - it stung even more. I assume they did so because they noticed the "peculiarity" of their bot, which was now way more obvious than before. I noticed it before because I clicked through the Pet giveaway winners and compared them to the chat names. There were 20 winners, most of which were within the latest 40 names in chat. Obviously mods did not notice this during the last pet giveaway.

Now for conclusion . Intrepid, please do better. I dunno how, but I'd imagine a tiny bit of better preparation/research could've let you avoid this issue. This definitely left an even bigger sour taste in my mouth than the previous small blunders (for obvious current reasons).

This was unnecessarily messy.

next time just run a script that types something every now and then and leave ur pc on while u sleep hahaha
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    next time just run a script that types something every now and then and leave ur pc on while u sleep hahaha
    If I was smart enough to do that I would've had the money for an alpha key and wouldn't need to spend 25h awake for a chance at getting one :)
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    If I was smart enough to do that I would've had the money for an alpha key and wouldn't need to spend 25h awake for a chance at getting one :)

google ittt

but tbh sleep is more important than that gamble xD
  • Options
    google ittt
    Googling is too difficult. And I'd need to run programs and figure that all out. Bleh.
    but tbh sleep is more important than that gamble xD
    Sleep is highly overrated, especially when it comes to saving money. Not spending $250 is quite a lot of saving.
  • Options
    XDD