Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Anti-Zerg/Deathball PvP aoe-mechanic

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited December 2023
    Depraved wrote: »
    also this 5 players group could be of worse quality than my zerg, what make you guys think that just because they are less, they are better than everyone in the zerg? they are just pressing a button on people coming in. zero skill needed. why do they automatically deserve the win because they are less?
    This is why I keep saying that having better territorial design is a much better way to let the skilled players show off their skill. Pressing a button that does 50%HP dmg on hit to 10+ people has nothing to do with skill. Kiting a huge group of dumb zerg, constantly baiting small aggressors from the crowd and sniping them, while another part of your group is picking off people from sides or from behind - does require skill to execute w/o immediately dying.

This type of stuff. Constant baiting, kiting, etc. And if instead of just one group the MCs of the video had another group on the other side of the zerg - it'd be a slaughter.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SYNbR-mvfU
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    also this 5 players group could be of worse quality than my zerg, what make you guys think that just because they are less, they are better than everyone in the zerg? they are just pressing a button on people coming in. zero skill needed. why do they automatically deserve the win because they are less?
    This is why I keep saying that having better territorial design is a much better way to let the skilled players show off their skill. Pressing a button that does 50%HP dmg on hit to 10+ people has nothing to do with skill. Kiting a huge group of dumb zerg, constantly baiting small aggressors from the crowd and sniping them, while another part of your group is picking off people from sides of from behind - does require skill to execute w/o immediately dying.

This type of stuff. Constant baiting, kiting, etc. And if instead of just one group the MCs of the video had another group on the other side of the zerg - it'd be a slaughter.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SYNbR-mvfU

agreed. they think they are skilled because they are killing 10 babies / chickens instead of 1 swat guy and deserve the extra help
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Solvryn wrote: »
    You know people are just going to showcase how well they do a basic maneuver and put it online for me to find somewhere, be realistic.
    If this was truly such an amazing and working strategy, there'd be several relatively big videos of people using it. I posted an Albion video of 20vs200. They were balled up. I saw an ESO video about literally Ballgroups and how OP they were, even though that bomb ability exists (and another person posted about them as well).

And as I said before, I've seen a shitton of pvp videos from several different games throughout the last decade+ - no one was running in lines or holding some high precision formations.

Why are you watching PvP on some youtubes that do not accurately convey PvP instead of going to do the PVP across multiple IPs yourself? I've already told you I'm not going take my time to dig through YouTube videos for you.

Go play the games, find out about AoE scaling.
    Being hyperbolic and sensational doesn't mean people are going to leave, it means they're going to learn how to press D or A and rotate.
    Except that's not what you seem to be talking about. Keeping up a formation across the entire length of a pvp encounter (unless it's 5 seconds) is way beyond the skill lvl of majority of players. Stepping out/away of a continuous aoe is one thing. Actively moving around so that on-cast-effect aoes don't hit more than 2 of your people is a whole different thing, which no one seems to be doing.

Most people function well enough that they can learn basic maneuvers if they bothered bud. AoE scaling doesn't exist in most IPs. It exists in a few and it works. That's all I've said.
    At this point I'm just going to assume you've never experienced AoE scaling or seen it in action to know its a good mechanic that helps prevent ball groups.
    Which is my entire fucking point. I'm asking to give me examples of it working and of players working around it.

It doesn't seem to work in ESO and the stuff I saw in Albion was not only OP as fuck (or just seemed that way due to insanely low ttk), but also barely even influenced people's gameplay, because people still just ran around in general clumps.

Every time I ask you to provide proof of what you're saying you just dodge with a "it's so obvious I don't even have to prove anything". Any time I ask of a direct opinion on what the balancing SHOULD be (not what it will be) - neither you nor the OP answer my question.

I've both provided my own opinion on what I'd prefer to see, based on my own experience with plain aoes in huge pvp and on the things I've seen due to this thread, and have linked videos to have a better discussion about this topic. All I've gotten in response is vague shit of "just have smth that counters zerg, duh". Oh, and the constant "you play like shit, don't use tactics and don't know shit" on top of that, but I simply disregard that as useless dodging of the topic.

Play ESO or go play Albion. You can experience a proper group in both. I'm not sifting through hours of content to satisfy your request.

When there's no CD, people are going to run around in clumps. This is one of the components to stopping ballgroups, you've already made a correct point in a well designed map being another contributor to ending ball groups, then AoE scaling is also another component of destroying ball groups.

If the average player runs around in a ballgroup, then they're destined to be destroyed and that's okay, that's apart of learning not to clump up. So they can either adapt or they'll return to their previous title. Most people are intelligent enough to adapt.

Since you want to stay on topic, the OP has been talking about Ballgroups at length and how he doesn't like them. AoE scaling is a key component to destroying ballgroups.

Also, I'm not trying to change anyones opinion, I posted mechanics that work in support of the OP. The only arguments against this are people who have not experienced them.
  • Options
    It doesn’t even warrant a video.
    So in other words there is no such video, because the absolute majority of players couldn't give 2 rat asses about this tactic. And the same absolute majority will leave Ashes if instead of several minutes of thrilling mass pvp they have 10 seconds of chucking insanely op aoes at each other.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the rest of the playerbase (all 1% of them) with their high precision movement and line formations.

You know people are just going to showcase how well they do a basic maneuver and put it online for me to find somewhere, be realistic.

Being hyperbolic and sensational doesn't mean people are going to leave, it means they're going to learn how to press D or A and rotate.

That simple man, that simple. I just taught you "high precision line fighting", press A or D to rotate your character in the right direction.

"Chucking Insanely OP AoEs at each other." Yeah, insanely OP AoEs are going to make it past class and combat tuning into an A2 we didn't get to yet, the thing which all of it is for.

At this point I'm just going to assume you've never experienced AoE scaling or seen it in action to know its a good mechanic that helps prevent ball groups.

if intrepid decides to add something like that for balance reasons, then so be it. like maybe a guild skill since you decided not to invest in increasing your numbers and you got passives to be stronger instead. but im curious to know why some players want something like this?

i get it, if you are in a game where you can stack a million players in a single cell, this mechanic would help. but in a game where you cant do this kind of stacking, it wouldnt because you would have about the same number of players aoeing each other at a given time. even if you have multiple parties fighting multiple parties, they wouldnt be stacked in a very small area. each party would be next to another one fighting the party in front of them, for example.

also, in a game where socializing is important, and not everybody is a winner, why give an advantage to someone who hasnt earned it? you are telling me that after i put in the effort of getting dozen or hundreds of players together, and have them go to the same place to pvp, regardless of individual player quality, a group of 5 people should be able to aoe wipe them just because? they didnt put the same effort as me, why should they be rewarded? thats like rewarding the 5 men guild with a castle instead of the guy who managed to get 250 players to show up. makes no sense.

This thread isn't about what "others want", this thread is about the ballzerg meta and how to deter/destroy it.

People are going to blanket AoE, there will be people getting stuck in overlapping AoEs, it's still going to work

I don't think you understand the mechanic of AoE scaling if you think it's an advantage. All it does it makes it so it hits less than single target abilities against single targets and then the damage increased per number of people standing in it, till it's at its full strength.

No one should be rewarded for effort alone, it's called effectiveness. If your skills are ineffectual you're not going to perform well as 5 people who may be more effectual than you.

But on the other hand if you can't kill 5 dudes because you decided to stand in the fire then that speaks of your ability of a player to do basic things and not the 5 guys.

If your group is ineffectual and not as good as the other, you're going to die. You shouldn't be rewarded because you slapped a zerg of people together.

You fight for a castle, you must be good enough to take it. Then, you must be good enough to keep it. Otherwise, you don't get a castle.

That's easy enough.

I really do not understand how you would manage to get shit on by 5 people if they are lesser than your 250 man zerg, but I suppose that's the nature of a zerg right? Zergs are naturally unskilled, unorganized, sloppy players who resort to running around in a big disorganized mass and using numbers to brute force PvP.

• Options
    I posted mechanics that work in support of the OP. The only arguments against this are people who have not experienced them.
    Yes, and a person who did experience ESO said
    Tsunahmie wrote: »

I used to lead a zerg ballgroup in Cyrodiil ESO. The idea is nice but as can be taken from ESO does not work for multiple reasons:
    Healstacking
    Buffstacking
    Ballgroup using said AOEs themselves in a coordinated push (multiple of them going off at the same time)

Ballgroups can be dealt with by other players like this:

Ballgroup vs Ballgroup
    Coordinated Siege hits

What can be done by Intrepid:
    Limit the amount of HoTs that can be stacked on any one target. Single target and aoe single hit spells are fine since these are not an issue/require a cast time or are single target.
    Limit the amount of Buffs or Buffstacks that can be on any one target.
    Limit the amount of times you can give any one target CC immunity/cleanse.

What you'll find to be the biggest issue with ballgroups is that THEY DON'T DIE.
    The ESO team refuses to listen to the playerbase and introduced AOE proccsets to combat the ballgroups instead (spoiler: the ballgroups started using those themselves)

Additionally, I would just like to add that an organzied group in comms should 100% be able to roll over randoms or unorganized zergs.

And none of the mass pvp video from Albion show any real organized movement. Well, one did. The one I posted. It showed a group of players literally running in a ball instead of lines or a spread out formation. I don't need to spend several months on an mmo to see that what you're saying doesn't work as well as you seem to think it does.

I have played a mass pvp mmo where small groups could kill zergs even w/o aoe scaling. And aoes there were still considered OP in mass pvp, because they'd do a ton of dmg to a ton of people due to no body collision. Ashes will have body collision and will, at the very least, have castle structure similar to L2's, which tells me that it doesn't need aoe scaling for small skillful groups to win against zerg.
    This thread isn't about what "others want", this thread is about the ballzerg meta and how to deter/destroy it.
    You do realize that the second part of this post goes directly against the first part, right? You and the OP WANT to destroy ballzerg meta. So this thread is exactly about someone wanting something.

Which is why the other side of this discussion is about wanting to not have the mechanics that the OP suggested.
  • Options
    I posted mechanics that work in support of the OP. The only arguments against this are people who have not experienced them.
    Yes, and a person who did experience ESO said
    Tsunahmie wrote: »

I used to lead a zerg ballgroup in Cyrodiil ESO. The idea is nice but as can be taken from ESO does not work for multiple reasons:
    Healstacking
    Buffstacking
    Ballgroup using said AOEs themselves in a coordinated push (multiple of them going off at the same time)

Ballgroups can be dealt with by other players like this:

Ballgroup vs Ballgroup
    Coordinated Siege hits

What can be done by Intrepid:
    Limit the amount of HoTs that can be stacked on any one target. Single target and aoe single hit spells are fine since these are not an issue/require a cast time or are single target.
    Limit the amount of Buffs or Buffstacks that can be on any one target.
    Limit the amount of times you can give any one target CC immunity/cleanse.

What you'll find to be the biggest issue with ballgroups is that THEY DON'T DIE.
    The ESO team refuses to listen to the playerbase and introduced AOE proccsets to combat the ballgroups instead (spoiler: the ballgroups started using those themselves)

Additionally, I would just like to add that an organzied group in comms should 100% be able to roll over randoms or unorganized zergs.

So have I, since beta even, or else I wouldn't have suggested it, it works effectively for organized groups. It would have been even more effective, if they applied the AoE scaling from prox det to AoEs in general.

And none of the mass pvp video from Albion show any real organized movement. Well, one did. The one I posted. It showed a group of players literally running in a ball instead of lines or a spread out formation. I don't need to spend several months on an mmo to see that what you're saying doesn't work as well as you seem to think it does.

The point of Albion being brought up was only the way they managed to implement their AoEs.

I have played a mass pvp mmo where small groups could kill zergs even w/o aoe scaling. And aoes there were still considered OP in mass pvp, because they'd do a ton of dmg to a ton of people due to no body collision. Ashes will have body collision and will, at the very least, have castle structure similar to L2's, which tells me that it doesn't need aoe scaling for small skillful groups to win against zerg.

The thing about AoE scaling is it makes AoEs fair. They shouldn't be at max strength vs a single target, but they should be at max strength when theres the max amount of people per highest increment of damage in them.

That's why they're effective.

I got twenty years plus in PvP and you have played in mass PvP, so you know you wont get caught being noob and getting blown up by AoEs, great to know. Someone who runs in a clump, getting blown up, as they should.

You do realize that the second part of this post goes directly against the first part, right? You and the OP WANT to destroy ballzerg meta. So this thread is exactly about someone wanting something.

Which is why the other side of this discussion is about wanting to not have the mechanics that the OP suggested.
    [/quote]

He attempting to figure out ways to cultivate a healthy meta and something higher tier than the ball zerg meta, in order to do that you must first consider how to get rid of it.

Ballzerg is minimal effort PvP, its a bunch of average joes running in a clump spamming the same two buttons and requiring minimum strategical and tactical acumen. That's not necessarily on them, that's on the designers for allowing such a design to exist in the first place. It's across several IPs, even.

It's a matter of "here are the tools to do it with", they work. They work well, I know they work well because I've used them. If others haven't figured out to use them, that is a reflection on them. I'm not trying to teach anyone how to press A or D, if they can type they know where the A and D button is.

• Options
    It doesn’t even warrant a video.
    So in other words there is no such video, because the absolute majority of players couldn't give 2 rat asses about this tactic. And the same absolute majority will leave Ashes if instead of several minutes of thrilling mass pvp they have 10 seconds of chucking insanely op aoes at each other.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the rest of the playerbase (all 1% of them) with their high precision movement and line formations.

That simple man, that simple. I just taught you "high precision line fighting", press A or D to rotate your character in the right direction.

"Chucking Insanely OP AoEs at each other." Yeah, insanely OP AoEs are going to make it past class and combat tuning into an A2 we didn't get to yet, the thing which all of it is for.

if intrepid decides to add something like that for balance reasons, then so be it. like maybe a guild skill since you decided not to invest in increasing your numbers and you got passives to be stronger instead. but im curious to know why some players want something like this?

i get it, if you are in a game where you can stack a million players in a single cell, this mechanic would help. but in a game where you cant do this kind of stacking, it wouldnt because you would have about the same number of players aoeing each other at a given time. even if you have multiple parties fighting multiple parties, they wouldnt be stacked in a very small area. each party would be next to another one fighting the party in front of them, for example.

also, in a game where socializing is important, and not everybody is a winner, why give an advantage to someone who hasnt earned it? you are telling me that after i put in the effort of getting dozen or hundreds of players together, and have them go to the same place to pvp, regardless of individual player quality, a group of 5 people should be able to aoe wipe them just because? they didnt put the same effort as me, why should they be rewarded? thats like rewarding the 5 men guild with a castle instead of the guy who managed to get 250 players to show up. makes no sense.

People are going to blanket AoE, there will be people getting stuck in overlapping AoEs, it's still going to work

I don't think you understand the mechanic of AoE scaling if you think it's an advantage. All it does it makes it so it hits less than single target abilities against single targets and then the damage increased per number of people standing in it, till it's at its full strength.

No one should be rewarded for effort alone, it's called effectiveness. If your skills are ineffectual you're not going to perform well as 5 people who may be more effectual than you.

But on the other hand if you can't kill 5 dudes because you decided to stand in the fire then that speaks of your ability of a player to do basic things and not the 5 guys.

If your group is ineffectual and not as good as the other, you're going to die. You shouldn't be rewarded because you slapped a zerg of people together.

You fight for a castle, you must be good enough to take it. Then, you must be good enough to keep it. Otherwise, you don't get a castle.

That's easy enough.

I really do not understand how you would manage to get shit on by 5 people if they are lesser than your 250 man zerg, but I suppose that's the nature of a zerg right? Zergs are naturally unskilled, unorganized, sloppy players who resort to running around in a big disorganized mass and using numbers to brute force PvP.

but i can say the same about kiting. if you cant kill me because you stood up spamming your spells instead of kitting, that speaks of your ability of a player to do basic things. this is an actual skill, not getting an advantage because the game devs gave u scaling xDD can u see the difference?

one is about running back and forth, engaging and disengaging and not overextanding. the other one is about pressing a button when people run towards you and they die because of scaling and calling yourself good. they arent even standing on the fire, they just didnt even have time to move away because stupid scaling killed them.

also not all aoes are DoT aoe. a burst aoe will kill you on first hit with scaling.

you are right, thats why good guilds beat worse guilds in a castle siege :3 you also shouldnt be rewarded because you have less numbers. it goes both ways. less numbers doesnt mean more skilled.

not true, in l2 you would organize urself in cp or statics. so a zerg of 90 people were 10 parties organized in cp and a 180 zerg people was 20 parties organized in cp, each one doing their thing instead of running like headless chicken lol. i guess u guys are too used to solo pvp games where zergs are just a bunch of solo players in the same guild.

• Options
    So have I, since beta even, or else I wouldn't have suggested it, it works effectively for organized groups. It would have been even more effective, if they applied the AoE scaling from prox det to AoEs in general.

The point of Albion being brought up was only the way they managed to implement their AoEs.
    So one of your examples didn't use the mechanic properly and the other example is barely even a proper example and was just there to point towards "this game has the thing I want, so let's do that" w/o a concrete proof that the mechanic even fully works.

This kinda seems like bad examples.
    The thing about AoE scaling is it makes AoEs fair. They shouldn't be at max strength vs a single target, but they should be at max strength when theres the max amount of people per highest increment of damage in them.

AoEs are meant to be unfair in big fights. That's, like, their entire point. An aoe that does half the dmg of a single target skill will do a shitton of dmg to a group of people, simply because it hits several targets.

An AoE that hits all those targets as if it was single target skills hitting them would be OP and is OP in Albion and seemingly in ESO. But even while being OP, neither of games seem to have solved the presumed ballgroup issue.
    He attempting to figure out ways to cultivate a healthy meta and something higher tier than the ball zerg meta, in order to do that you must first consider how to get rid of it.

Ballzerg is minimal effort PvP, its a bunch of average joes running in a clump spamming the same two buttons and requiring minimum strategical and tactical acumen. That's not necessarily on them, that's on the designers for allowing such a design to exist in the first place. It's across several IPs, even.

It's a matter of "here are the tools to do it with", they work. They work well, I know they work well because I've used them. If others haven't figured out to use them, that is a reflection on them. I'm not trying to teach anyone how to press A or D, if they can type they know where the A and D button is.
    AoEs are already that tool and that meta. AoEs already punish people clumping together. That's why they exist - to hit several targets at the same time.

Making AoEs even more OP will only make this meta paramount and required. L2's aoes are roughly 2/3 the power of single target abilities, but you know who were the meta classes in all sieges? Mages with said aoes. Then when a certain melee class with an aoe skill got boosted - he became meta immediately (though mainly when his gear was OEd to all hell). Then later on archers got a huge dmg boost on their aoes. You know what happened? They became meta.

All of that w/o having scaling. In other words, aoes are already super OP in mass pvp. That's their job. Making them even more OP is too much.
  • Options
    make rewards from zerging close to 0.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

So one of your examples didn't use the mechanic properly and the other example is barely even a proper example and was just there to point towards "this game has the thing I want, so let's do that" w/o a concrete proof that the mechanic even fully works.

This kinda seems like bad examples.
    [/quote]

Okay so the best sample you can get is to go play those games.

AoEs are meant to be unfair in big fights. That's, like, their entire point. An aoe that does half the dmg of a single target skill will do a shitton of dmg to a group of people, simply because it hits several targets.

Aye that's pretty much AoE scaling accomplishes, a shit ton of damage to a lot of people in a big fight, without being absolutely busted in smaller skirmishes.
    An AoE that hits all those targets as if it was single target skills hitting them would be OP and is OP in Albion and seemingly in ESO. But even while being OP, neither of games seem to have solved the presumed ballgroup issue.

Yes it would, this is exactly why AoE scaling is good, people aren't getting shit on by broken levels of AoE in smaller skirmishes but are being punishes for clumping up like twits.

AoEs are already that tool and that meta. AoEs already punish people clumping together. That's why they exist - to hit several targets at the same time.

Making AoEs even more OP will only make this meta paramount and required. L2's aoes are roughly 2/3 the power of single target abilities, but you know who were the meta classes in all sieges? Mages with said aoes. Then when a certain melee class with an aoe skill got boosted - he became meta immediately (though mainly when his gear was OEd to all hell). Then later on archers got a huge dmg boost on their aoes. You know what happened? They became meta.

All of that w/o having scaling. In other words, aoes are already super OP in mass pvp. That's their job. Making them even more OP is too much.

So your only PvP experience is L2? That's it? Go experience AoE scaling, then go experience other games. You lack it to be shitting on AoE scaling.

• Options
    what if u clump up in a small skirmish, shouldnt u get hit hard?
  • Options
    Aye that's pretty much AoE scaling accomplishes, a shit ton of damage to a lot of people in a big fight, without being absolutely busted in smaller skirmishes.

Yes it would, this is exactly why AoE scaling is good, people aren't getting shit on by broken levels of AoE in smaller skirmishes but are being punishes for clumping up like twits.
    A single target ability hits for 100. An aoe hits for 50. Both cost the same. In a huge fight that aoe might hit 5-6 people, because everyone is running around everywhere. So you'd do up to 300 dmg with the cost of a single target ability that would've done a 100. In a normal party vs party, you'd at best hit 2-3 people, if you're lucky. So it's way more beneficial to choose precise targets and assist-kill them with single target abilities instead.

You want aoes to hit for a 100 (if not more), if they hit more than 2 people. So it'll always be more beneficial to use aoes instead of singles. Which leads to the very same meta that I experienced in L2, where all sieges and all mass pvp came down to aoe casters.

This meta then leads to healers needing a boost, because party heals usually cost more than singles, and if everyone is dying all the time (because the game is about bigger fights than fucking 3v3) - you need more heals.

With stronger/cheaper heals now the pve must be retuned, because it's become way easier. And classes that don't have as many aoes now have to be retuned as well, because they're completely out of meta and are deemed useless. And all of this shit stems from aoes being too powerful.

As for playing other games - not interested. I didn't play other mmos exactly because they look like shit to me. I'm not interested in tiny skirmishes of ESO, near 1v1 duels of BDO or insanely short ttk of Albion. I wanted a new L2 and I found it in Ashes. Massive battles with hundreds of people on either side with a long ttk. AoEs that hit for 1/2-2/3 of a single target ability fit this design just fine. And with body collision those aoes will be even weaker than L2's, which is exactly what I want.

Party skill will be shown through gameplay and not through pushing a single damn button.

Also, both you and OP keep saying "these aoes will spread out the clumps", but what the hell does that even mean? Like, what does that accomplish? You say that better players will just not clump up and will avoid those aoes, right? So what the fuck is the difference then? What if the same damn zerg is just running around with slightly more space in-between its players? How does that in any way change the smaller group's situation? The small group is still fucked and they will still die every time, because there's simply way more HP pool on the other side.

Neither of your examples have shown that your scaled aoes work against big groups, so why do you cling to them so much?
  • Options
    Also, both you and OP keep saying "these aoes will spread out the clumps", but what the hell does that even mean? Like, what does that accomplish? You say that better players will just not clump up and will avoid those aoes, right? So what the fuck is the difference then? What if the same damn zerg is just running around with slightly more space in-between its players? How does that in any way change the smaller group's situation? The small group is still fucked and they will still die every time, because there's simply way more HP pool on the other side.

Neither of your examples have shown that your scaled aoes work against big groups, so why do you cling to them so much?

The aim of the thread is to invent a way to allow small parties defeat large ones only in skill combat.

First people should agree if that is indeed desired.

Second, there should be an agreement about what zerg means. Could be that a small group can become a zerg when facing an even smaller group.

We could have spells like chain lightning which deal increased damage at each jump from a target to the next.
    The number of jumps and the increase in damage could depend on the caster and opponent party size.
    Then a party of 300 facing one of 40 would send a team of 8 to force the 40 to split in 5 teams of 8 too and let only one fight.

Eventually we can create a gameplay where even if there are AoEs, nobody will use them and we could even remove them from the game.

Or we could make AoE useful in desperate situations where the larger team will loose many players just to kill the last elite opponent group. Would be like AoEs and every action combat spell or arrow would hit own party members too. AoE heal would heal enemies too. Maybe if I search historical battles I will find cases where long bow archers killed their own melee or cavalry but won the bigger battle.
  • Options
    Raven016 wrote: »
    The aim of the thread is to invent a way to allow small parties defeat large ones only in skill combat.
    This is one of the things I've been arguing against. Pressing a button that simply says "does a shitton of dmg to a crowd" is not skillful. AoE, inherently, are not skillful. Making a big crowd split apart a bit by using said aoe - not skillful.

ESO's approach requires a bit of skill, because it's a delayed effect directly around your character, so you gotta plan ahead and position yourself very correctly w/o your opponents noticing. But as a balance to those requirement the damage on the bomb is fucking huge. AND EVEN WITH ALL THAT, the game still has literal ballgroups as an op method of playing and one of the commenters here said that ESO's countermeasures don't work all that well against zerg.

We have aoes that are meant to hit more than one person in their radius. That is already a tool that works. We'll have body collision, which is an organic tool that prevents clumping. If we have good territorial design that organically splits the huge crowds even further - we'll be just fine in dealing with ballzergs, because there won't even be a proper ballzerg, cause it's physically impossible to have one when half your map is littered with stuff that you gotta run around, all while you can only fit 3 characters between that stuff.

Albion seems to have that precise design. It's just that on top of that good design they decided to have insanely op aoes that can deal ~50%HP in dmg.

Solvryn and I agreed to try both of our side's games. He'll try out L2, while I'll see how Albion works. I'm not sure either of us will be able to make a proper judgement on these games in any short amount of time, but there'll at least be an attempt.
  • Options

Or we could make AoE useful in desperate situations where the larger team will loose many players just to kill the last elite opponent group. Would be like AoEs and every action combat spell or arrow would hit own party members too. AoE heal would heal enemies too. Maybe if I search historical battles I will find cases where long bow archers killed their own melee or cavalry but won the bigger battle.

but the bigger group can just send 1 player to flank the smaller group and aoe them into the void, since the smaller group will now become the bigger group xDDDD
  • Options

but the bigger group can just send 1 player to flank the smaller group and aoe them into the void, since the smaller group will now become the bigger group xDDDD

Two players should never zerg one! :smiley:
    Just a small extension to "a player with a Lv40 sword should never lose against a player with a Lv35 sword" concept.
  • Options
    Solvryn and I agreed to try both of our side's games. He'll try out L2, while I'll see how Albion works. I'm not sure either of us will be able to make a proper judgement on these games in any short amount of time, but there'll at least be an attempt.

I hope you will have a nice Christmas :smiley:
  • Options
    In reality, a bigger group would win over a smaller group; it all depends on your skills and gear, but the same applies to the bigger group, which has more chances to have someone with good skills and better gear, so... For me zergs are ok, if you are scared of it, just join a bigger guild, avoid pvp or get a very good gear so you can fight 1v3 awhile you are in a small group figthing a ''zerg''
  • Options
    zergs are not ok, getting participation medals for grouping more people is not playing.
  • Options

I am not quite sure how to read this.

If it's "one button combat", that's actually not the case - that's not how AoE scaling actually functions as a mechanic.

If you are saying the idea is to get a higher skill ceiling out of the game, that is absolutely the point of me supporting the OP on this thread.

Ballzergs are just average players trying to brute force numbers, so them getting blown up for being stupid is the proper response.

AoE scaling allows an AoE skill to be the proper strength for the amount of people in it and at max, it does a shit ton of damage and will force people to spread.

The thing is that there isn't just going to be one button, there will be tanks with aegis to counteract this, there will be many buttons on the battle field which will prevent people from getting obliterated, but I am absolutely a fan of people who stand in the big red fire, should die - and deserve it too.
  • Options

I am not quite sure how to read this.

If it's "one button combat", that's actually not the case - that's not how AoE scaling actually functions as a mechanic.

If you are saying the idea is to get a higher skill ceiling out of the game, that is absolutely the point of me supporting the OP on this thread.

Ballzergs are just average players trying to brute force numbers, so them getting blown up for being stupid is the proper response.

AoE scaling allows an AoE skill to be the proper strength for the amount of people in it and at max, it does a shit ton of damage and will force people to spread.

The thing is that there isn't just going to be one button, there will be tanks with aegis to counteract this, there will be many buttons on the battle field which will prevent people from getting obliterated, but I am absolutely a fan of people who stand in the big red fire, should die - and deserve it too.

Ah, so you want AoE but with skill.
    I thought AoE is seen always as a bad mechanic in zergs, by OP.
    OK then, looking forward to see the sieges in Alpha 2.
  • Options

but how they gonna do all that if they are headless chicken? thats the point, its a win button for no reason
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited December 2023
    If the goal is to get people to spread out more so as not to make ball stratagies viable, collision seems to me to be a far better way to make that happen than shifting AoE abilities based on target numbers.

Making AoE abilities do this seems to me to be a developers reaction to such behavior in their game at a point where it is too late to implement any better solution. It definately isnt what a game still in development should be considering.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    This ended up turning into quite an interesting conversation around zergs. I especially liked the recent turn in which people discussed how zergs work (or don't) in other games!

I'm curious to read more thoughts and ideas about how zergs or death-balls could be fought, perhaps besides with AoE! :)
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    I'm downloading L2 as we speak. It's all good.

but how they gonna do all that if they are headless chicken? thats the point, its a win button for no reason

If you fundamentally took the time to realize how AoE scaling works, you would understand it doesn't turn AoEs into a win button.

• Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    If the goal is to get people to spread out more so as not to make ball stratagies viable, collision seems to me to be a far better way to make that happen than shifting AoE abilities based on target numbers.

Making AoE abilities do this seems to me to be a developers reaction to such behavior in their game at a point where it is too late to implement any better solution. It definately isnt what a game still in development should be considering.

I introduced the mechanic in already knowing that CD, Map Design, and Objectives will already be a part of Ashes. AoE scaling helps in mass PvP without being overpowering and outshining single target abilities.
  • Options
    Vaknar wrote: »
    This ended up turning into quite an interesting conversation around zergs. I especially liked the recent turn in which people discussed how zergs work (or don't) in other games!

I'm curious to read more thoughts and ideas about how zergs or death-balls could be fought, perhaps besides with AoE! :)
    Alternative to damaging aoes could be moving aoes. We'll already have a "pushing" mechanic, so why not take it a step further and have a pushing ability. Preferably a synergistic one for a full party and not just a random solo ability on a random class.

Ideally it would also not push you off of cliffs, but that comes down to coding and design choices.
  • Options
    Vaknar wrote: »

Scatter Shot AoEs with stagger.

l.o.l.
  • Options
    Ohhh, I know which scaling I'd be totally ok with and all for! Situational aoe debuff scaling!

Movement, atk speed, cast speed, defs - all scaling depending on the victim's proximity to victims linked to them by the aoe. If those victims stay within a certain range from each other for, say, 3 clicks of the debuff timer - they get a full new debuff on all of them (respectively: root, inability to attack, silence, a small aoe blast that puts their def debuff onto everyone within that aoe).

Spice it up with different application methods of the aoe debuff and you got yourself some skill-based comparisons of coordination of groups.

Add push/pull abilities on top of that and you got yourself an even deeper skill-based system.

None of that "one button fucking kills 10 people on the spot" bullshit, but a ton of complex interactions that require coordinated movements and reactions from both sides of the encounter. Now this kind of scaling is exactly what I can get behind.
  • Options

Ohhh, I know which scaling I'd be totally ok with and all for! Situational aoe debuff scaling!

Movement, atk speed, cast speed, defs - all scaling depending on the victim's proximity to victims linked to them by the aoe. If those victims stay within a certain range from each other for, say, 3 clicks of the debuff timer - they get a full new debuff on all of them (respectively: root, inability to attack, silence, a small aoe blast that puts their def debuff onto everyone within that aoe).

Spice it up with different application methods of the aoe debuff and you got yourself some skill-based comparisons of coordination of groups.

Add push/pull abilities on top of that and you got yourself an even deeper skill-based system.

None of that "one button fucking kills 10 people on the spot" bullshit, but a ton of complex interactions that require coordinated movements and reactions from both sides of the encounter. Now this kind of scaling is exactly what I can get behind.

Oh lord, I don't know how many times I'm going to have to tell you how AoE scaling works before you fully understand it.

It's not "one button nukes people." There are many AoEs in the game and AoE scaling as a mechanic can apply to all AoEs.

AoE scaling apply to all AoEs in the game, so they're not too over powered vs 1 or 2 people and they become the most powerful with max people standing in the AoE.

That doesn't include.

The shape of the AoE, the base damage of the AoE, the tertiary affects of those abilities, the counters to those abilities, healing, etc.