Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

designated playtest times

AngelhearthAngelhearth Member
edited December 2023 in General Discussion
So if I invest $250, how often can I expect to play? I have done this for a couple of other games and the question that always arose was "Why don't you just keep the game running? You don't need to work on the version the players can access." But the answer was always something about the cost of running multiple servers and the bandwidth needed. So in the end we got a few hours per week, which isn't good enough for the price.

Comments

• Options
    The persistent Alpha 2 will start next year and remain running until launch, however, there will be character wipes. The Alpha 2 starts next year, the date is not known yet but the quarter it will launch is to be announced at the end of Dec.
  • Options
    So if I invest $250, how often can I expect to play? I have done this for a couple of other games and the question that always arose was "Why don't you just keep the game running? You don't need to work on the version the players can access." But the answer was always something about the cost of running multiple servers and the bandwidth needed. So in the end we got a few hours per week, which isn't good enough for the price.

it will probs be running 24/7 but expect downtimes for maintenance
  • Options
    Wipes are to be expected, but does persistent mean the servers will run 24/7?
  • Options

wiki speaks....

Persistent alpha

Alpha-2 is known as the persistent alpha.[8][50] Persistent means that the Alpha-2 servers will be kept up all day and night until launch.[6][8]

There will be downtime for patches.[6][7]

There will be character and testing wipes.[6][60][8]
    All servers will be wiped prior to launch.[61]

Alpha-2 servers will become the public test servers (PTS) post-launch that are used to test patches and updates.[62][60][8]
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It is important to note that you won't really be "playing." You will be "testing." It would be prudent to realize that these are not the same thing.
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »
    It is important to note that you won't really be "playing." You will be "testing." It would be prudent to realize that these are not the same thing.

Yep, especially if you’re about to fork over that kind of money.

At least the OP is asking about the fine print which is good.

Some players have wandered in to the forums fresh off a $375 purchase … and asked when they’d “get to play”. :#
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited December 2023

pretty much yes they be patches and downtimes and thing but that expected, we will find out what quarrter of next year in like the 20th i beleive of this month, i suspect it be later Q1 but might be earlier Q2
  • Options

I've been playing in betas, seldom alphas, since UO. 😉
  • Options

all-of-this-pointing.gif
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »

all-of-this-pointing.gif

As I just wrote, I've been playing betas since the nineties.
  • Options

all-of-this-pointing.gif
  • Options
    This ain't a Beta yet.
  • Options
    Folks, can you please stop with "You aren't playing, you're testing". I've played betas, and some alphas, sine UO. And sure, it's a difference between alphas and betas, but they are both about testing the game, giving feedback, and maybe some suggestions.
  • Options
    Folks, can you please stop with "You aren't playing, you're testing". I've played betas, and some alphas, sine UO. And sure, it's a difference between alphas and betas, but they are both about testing the game, giving feedback, and maybe some suggestions.

We are all waiting for the Alpha 2 ;)

My question is how many servers we will have.
  • Options
    tbh other than trying things out, we wont be testing stuff, intrepid will be though.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    We'll have more detailed information to share regarding Alpha Two as we get closer to its launch date! For now, we'll share more information on it's release during the upcoming December livestream <3
    community_management.gif
  • Options

You'd be surprised how many people come to the forum expecting the game to be up and running.

Even if you understand the concept of an Alpha/Beta, there are lots of people who will be reading that do not, and it's important to point out the difference to set the correct expectation levels.

So, no. I won't stop pointing out that Alpha is for testing.
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »

You'd be surprised how many people come to the forum expecting the game to be up and running.

Even if you understand the concept of an Alpha/Beta, there are lots of people who will be reading that do not, and it's important to point out the difference to set the correct expectation levels.

So, no. I won't stop pointing out that Alpha is for testing.

To be fair though, sometimes testing is just playing normally. Star Citizen for example is testing their replication layer technology this weekend and they want people to just jump on the test servers and play like normal so they can gather usage telemetry about how their new server tech and architecture behaves in "normal" conditions at scale.
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Good question. It's a persistent Alpha. There will be down time but the goal is to keep the game up and running 24/7.

As got you are testing not playing. It is playing! And there will be much fun to have. Dungeons, raids, PvP, crafting and more and alpha level testing that can be a pain but I'm sure you are aware of this.