Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

"Empire.... FOREVER!" Freedom to Create Our Own Doctrines?

TyranthraxusTyranthraxus Member
edited January 28 in General Discussion
One thing that shall never leave me was the freedom to create our own legacy/sects in SWG.... Will we possess such freedoms in AoC? Or will we be forever-bound to pre-created sects, once the game begins?

Is there a way that is inherently better/worse?

Comments

• Options
    I wonder if for Example "Empyreans" will have a cool Lore-Empire ingame they can represent as Players if they so choose. Also kinda hoping for it.

It would add spice to the Game's Flavor if People could choose to join Race/Culture-based Factions, instead of being just a huge bunch of wandering Hobos who just happen to settle somewhere and build a City. :D
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    I wonder if for Example "Empyreans" will have a cool Lore-Empire ingame they can represent as Players if they so choose. Also kinda hoping for it.

It would add spice to the Game's Flavor if People could choose to join Race/Culture-based Factions, instead of being just a huge bunch of wandering Hobos who just happen to settle somewhere and build a City. :D

We already get that stuff. The question is moreso if we get to create 'player Factions' that Intrepid then purposely integrates into the game in some way. Perhaps they get an ethos or some other 'hardcoded' specific perk or quirk.

It requires a 'DM', but once it's done, it's probably consistent.

I don't see why we wouldn't have this option at any point, it's not so hard, but at the same time, if Ashes is deep enough, you could effectively 'create it' without them doing anything. It really comes down to how much we want it to influence NPCs.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    JhorenJhoren Member
    edited January 25
    One thing that shall forever leave me was the freedom to create our own legacy/sects in SWG.... Will we possess such freedoms in AoC? Or will we be frever-bound to pre-created sects, once the game begins?

Is there a way that is inherently better/worse?

Is it anything that can't be done in a guild or alliance framework? Or do you mean a much more personal sect and legacy?
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Since you used your question already for this stream, Tyranthraxus, and I am curious due to playing a similar game, I've thrown in a related one in the Q&A thread for this month.

Go, dice roll!
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Azherae wrote: »

I don't see why we wouldn't have this option at any point, it's not so hard, but at the same time, if Ashes is deep enough, you could effectively 'create it' without them doing anything. It really comes down to how much we want it to influence NPCs.

I believe Steven hopes for many player-driven initiatives, such as the one (I believe, to the best of my knowledge) you're discussing. I'm not saying this isn't something that would never be implemented, but players organizing and creating important stories on their server by their own initiative is something that should be able to happen!
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    It'd be interesting if Node certain policies passed over its lifetime were permanently stuck with that Node unless it were razed and had to start over at the caravan stage.

I think it could make for a fun way to trace the lineage of the Node to certain political groups/sects etc, and how bureaucracy sometims can't rid itself of some of its past, and all subsequent policies have to play around the possible loopholes left from previous gorvernments.

This could lead to certain religious nodes to have loopholes about sacrifices to obtain buffs for the citizens, because the first local mayor/high priest/pope/etc. passed a law that is now far too deep-rooted in its constitution (so to speak)
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    Please don't stone me and/or hate me for saying this, b~UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT :

Wouldn't an "Empire-Alliance" between the Empyrians~AND~Kae'lar - "PLUS" possibly the Du'nir, be kind of overpowered ?????

Please don't misunderstand what i am want to say here. These Three Races sound like "AAAWEEESOME" Lore- and Faction-Races to be part of.

Just saying. It would sound awesome to be one of them.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    Jhoren wrote: »
    Is it anything that can't be done in a guild or alliance framework? Or do you mean a much more personal sect and legacy?

In viewing this, it occurs to me that I should have the option to lock myself out, when drunk.

Probably, this would fit BEST in a guild framework; Different guilds are ALWAYS free to create their own traditions and policies.

Meanwhile? It'd be really cool if there was something like a religious paradigm that guilds can adapt at their most basic level, that could be adopted or carried-on by future guilds, in the same fashion. Maybe something like a formerly-used tabbard or guild-standard could live on, even when the proginator/originator has passed....
    Azherae wrote: »
    Since you used your question already for this stream, Tyranthraxus, and I am curious due to playing a similar game, I've thrown in a related one in the Q&A thread for this month.

Go, dice roll!

Much appreciated, @Azherae. Did see that one, as yours truly is always interested in the monthly Q&A posts.

Vaknar wrote: »

I believe Steven hopes for many player-driven initiatives, such as the one (I believe, to the best of my knowledge) you're discussing. I'm not saying this isn't something that would never be implemented, but players organizing and creating important stories on their server by their own initiative is something that should be able to happen!

In due respect to the current systems? They seem adequate/sufficient enough, even by modern gaming standards. Custom philosophies and religious-branches are a LOT to ask for, and should probably be formatted along the lines of existing game-infastructure. Elements like the "custom" religions/religious sects in Civlization IV come to mind - wherein you're really just naming a tradition and choosing its bonuses, rather than creating something that is genuinely unique-to-the-game.

Please don't stone me and/or hate me for saying this, b~UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT :

Wouldn't an "Empire-Alliance" between the Empyrians~AND~Kae'lar - "PLUS" possibly the Du'nir, be kind of overpowered ?????

Please don't misunderstand what i am want to say here. These Three Races sound like "AAAWEEESOME" Lore- and Faction-Races to be part of.

Just saying. It would sound awesome to be one of them.

This is the kind of thing already built into the game, for us to expound upon. A Guild Alliance has a lot of potential for build-upon-it aspects; I'm more speaking along the lines of a custom philosophy. It'd be kind of like choosing 1 of 3 bonuses offered by different Gods' religions, to add up into 3, for a final route/path/philosophy to be adapted by guilds/social groups on a certain server - despite the lifespan of the group that originally apopted this.

• Options
    This is the kind of thing already built into the game, for us to expound upon. A Guild Alliance has a lot of potential for build-upon-it aspects; I'm more speaking along the lines of a custom philosophy. It'd be kind of like choosing 1 of 3 bonuses offered by different Gods' religions, to add up into 3, for a final route/path/philosophy to be adapted by guilds/social groups on a certain server - despite the lifespan of the group that originally apopted this.

Thanks for letting me know. I admit i should have read more, the recent Months.

I wonder if the " Empyrean Empire " - gets because it is an "Empire" - an Emperor. Like : some seriously important Person, probably buffed up with everything the whole Empyrean People could come up with, to make their Leader as mighty as possible. Or maybe an Empress ? I admit i know basically nothing about them.

Welp, i guess it's time to cruise through the Lore again. ^^
    a50whcz343yn.png