Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Drinks with an old friend Part 1

Twist sat in his usual spot in the East corner of the inn. Finishing his third tankard of what was affectionately referred to as Roddiks Rot a hearty ale with a faint smell of wheat and a stronger aftertaste of seaweed. "Dalra would you bring me another and a hot tea, for my associate he will be here momentarily" He asks the waitress as she passes by his table making the circuit around the exterior tables. She looks to the dwarf and taps her hand "You know the drill rogue payment up front, then you get your order" The waitress Dalra was a icon in the Red Claw Inn, She had been an adventuring marvel known for her lock picking skills in her youth. She had retired after she lost her right hand fighting in some skirmish twenty season ago. Twist chuckled softly and slid three copper coins and an additional gold her way. " Lass keep an ear to the floor and let me know if any of those magikers come snooping about. My associate is not to fond of the council mages and I aim to keep things quiet" She smiles and offers him a flash of her dimpled smile. "Got you Twist, you want to use the red room? or just keep things here? " She points to a door in the far West corner and moves to grab a key from her belt. Twist waves her off "Nae lass just a quiet drink with a old associate no lock work or spell casting to my knowledge" He pulls his pipe from his vest and uses a tinder scrap to light the Rowen wood pipe. She smiles and makes her way to the counter and gets the order from the bar keep.
Twist takes a pull from his pipe the weed within it has a faint taste of apple. He takes a casual but studying look of the patrons within the Claw. Most were sailor sorts, a couple dock workers, a mage by trade who was most likely one of those elemental's who hire out to keep the sea lanes safe of pirates and those giant sharks that have been known to sink unprotected ships even in shallow waters. Lastly was the bard playing his musical instrument. He was an elf and although he didn't know his name Twist was familiar with his work as bard and also on occasion bouncer. His drink and the tea arrive in short order and he nods to Dalra and continues to wait.
A slight pop is heard to his left as his associate arrives in his usual mysterious manner. "Showoff" Twist smirks at his oldest business associate Baner Bel'Akel known in some quarters as Havoc sat quietly and takes his tea. " Thanks for getting my tea Twist, I need it, the trip here was a little dusty and I hate being parched" He sips and sighs deeply. "Amber and sundew is a wonderful tea, you should try it Twist but I know ""Dorfs don't drink tea"" he says in a overly exaggerated manner. Twist shakes his head and gets to the point. "Were you able to find anything else about the next job?" He smiles and waits taking a small pull from his pipe. Nodding Havoc motions him closer and whispers "Trollhaven"

Comments

• (( Part 2 ))

Sitting back in is chair Twist whistles softly. "Newp I'm not going there ever. You know what that place is like. Its not friendly to dwarves much less rogues. Its a pass for me Havoc your client will have to find another picker for the job, I hate trolls " He signs slightly and takes a deep pull of his beer. Havoc raises his hand motioning his to stop. "Listen Twist at least let me give you the offer." He waits and smiles his warmest smile. "Fine " Twist says and crosses his arms and waits. " Good man!" Havoc exclaims and continues. "I was contacted via my cousin, you remember him. Kridshie he says its a simple explore and loot run. We are to meet the client with his local muscle, you do your thing I do mine and we come out rich and maybe some new gear" He quiets and waits. "Its never that easy and you know it Havoc, last time I lost money on one of your cousins jobs, so no thanks oh and tell your cousin I said he needs to forget my name and forget offering me anything in troll country." Twist sighs and puts his pipe back into his vest.
    "Listen Twist our client insisted on a dwarf locksmith, according to Kridshie there are some dwarf runes and locks that would be right up your alley and I was told it would be well worth our time to meet with the client and take the job. Kridshie wouldn't steer us wrong I'm family and he knows your skills he wouldn't send us off to just get killed in is Trollhaven." He sits back and waits offering a wink to Twist.
    "Where is the meet up? now mind you I will go listen but that's all" He finishes his drink and looks to Havoc. "We are to meet at dock nine the ships name is the Dorya's Tear. its just down from here and we are to meet at noon" He chuckles. Twist growls slightly. " You knew I would be interested as soon as you said runes and that why were here at the Claw and not at your summer home. Damn you Havoc I hate when you assume things about me, but your right I will go listen to this client of your cousin's and maybe he has something worth my time or maybe not" He stand and motions Havoc towards the door.
  • Nice start!

Ox
  • Very nice, story! I hope you continue it!
  • (( Part 3 sorry for the delay been out of pocket))

Exiting the Claw the mid day sun shines brightly on them as they make their way down to the ship. "What's the clients name Havoc?" Twist asks as he passes a net mender working on a large hole. Swatting a gnat Havoc responds "Aldriss and you'll absolutely love him apparently he's a Vek you know those orcs" He continues on his walk towards the dock. "really? well this has all the potential in the world then." As they pass dock eight he notices the vessel at nine and whistles sharply. "Havoc that's a galley and not a small one at that, most be two hundred feet" Twist offers. "Its a big boat" replies Havoc unimpressed. "Please don't refer to it as a boat, sailors are touchy sorts and if were taking this to Trollhaven then you want the sailors on board to at least not hate you, and id hate to have every meal I eat to have someone's spit in it!" Twist makes his way to the gang plank and is met by a large sailor with a rather nasty scar on his face. "State your business or be gone" The sailor a middle aged Kaelar human all but snarls at them.
    "Please inform Master Aldriss that his noon appointment is here, Masters Twist and Havoc have arrived" Havoc hands over a small coin and smiles to the sailor, who pockets it and heads up the gang plank. After waiting a few minutes the sailor returns and motions them up the plank into the heart of the ship. Standing on the deck of the Dorya’s Tear Twist smiles and looks to Havoc "It's cleaner then I thought it would be, it almost smells like some fruit or something close" Rolling his eyes Havoc answers back "Yea they have a maid who put mints on pillows here as well" he smirks. As Twist turns to look the ship over he notices that the ships crew all seem to be in uniforms and for the most part were a mixture of human and elves. Scanning he spots someone of authority approaching.
    " Gentleman I am Hanabek Cole first mate aboard the Tear, welcome aboard." The first mate is a Py'rai elven lass with sea green eyes and a lean frame smiles warmly to them. " Please follow me the Captain will see you now" Without waiting she turns and makes her way to the cabins. Following the elf they both look around at the orderly and well maintained ship. Havoc whispers softly to Twist. "Its all very efficient and almost a military feel to it, right?" Twist simply nods and steps out of the sun and lets his eyes adjust to the shaded hall of the main deck cabins. Stepping to the back of the ship knocking the mate waits. "Enter" Hanabek opens the door and motions them within the room.
    Stepping into a rather large room with a series of shelves lined with books and maps a central table large enough to seat a dozen Twist sees the two people gathered within. One a large Vek orc the other a human who was obviously the captain on the Tear.
    " Welcome aboard the Dorya's Tear I'm Captain Alexandros, this orcish brute is my partner and your soon to be employer Aldriss Spanner" The orc stands at his full height he is a little over seven feet in height but his mass is rather slim. " Please have a seat gentlemen and Cole please have the cook bring lunch and a bottle of brandy" Aldriss he said and nods to Cole as she makes her way out following his commands. Sitting in a large high back chair Twist to the right and Havoc to the left of the Captain.
    "Gentlemen I appreciate you coming for this meeting and I wont take to much of your time, simply put we are in the midst of a expedition to a set of ruins which we think holds several tomes that will lead to a artifact known as the Frostmantle, my problem quite simply is I don't know enough about dwarven locks and runes to get into the vault. its set about three hundred feet below the surface of what we believe is a old school in Trollhaven that was once part of a Vek city long abandoned. Hence my contact with you, Twist you come highly recommended as a able lock picker and your knowledge of ancient dwarf runes should help in this and Havoc I am told your knowledge of magic's both priestly and arcane will be ideal in this endeavor " A knock to the door interrupts his talk. "Enter" Aldriss responds to the knock as a petite old elf come into the room. "Lunch sirs, its grill steaks along with potatoes and fresh squeezed juice and apple brandy" The cook sets four plates at the table and bows before heading out.
    Aldriss continues " I am offer you this as a contract for twelve weeks you work for me and I provide whatever you need for this endeavor weapons, gear, money you get a cut of whatever we find lets say ten percent of whatever we find and sell. How does that strike you gentlemen?" Sipping the brandy Twist responds "It is a lot to take in and all the fine dining and booze wont easily sway me, your talking a trip into Trollhaven, its a ruddy swamp and a troll infested mess to boot. As for gear and weapons I am good, money is great but you cannot spend it if your dead." Under the table he gets a slight kick from Havoc and pauses as Havoc speaks up in between bite for his lunch. " What my partner is saying is true good sir, but I am interested in this place so I will counter your offer with this. Concerning gear we keep whatever we find within the this place if anything is worth it, with the exception of your tomes. We will need a upfront some for our supplies of say ten thousand slips of gold and another thirty thousand upon completion of this job" He smiles slightly as he looks between the Captain and Aldriss and a quick glance to Twist shows his partners approval. "What say you good sir do we have a deal?"

Exiting the Claw the mid day sun shines brightly on them as they make their way down to the ship. "What's the clients name Havoc?" Twist asks as he passes a net mender working on a large hole. Swatting a gnat Havoc responds "Aldriss and you'll absolutely love him apparently he's a Vek you know those orcs" He continues on his walk towards the dock. "really? well this has all the potential in the world then." As they pass dock eight he notices the vessel at nine and whistles sharply. "Havoc that's a galley and not a small one at that, most be two hundred feet" Twist offers. "Its a big boat" replies Havoc unimpressed. "Please don't refer to it as a boat, sailors are touchy sorts and if were taking this to Trollhaven then you want the sailors on board to at least not hate you, and id hate to have every meal I eat to have someone's spit in it!" Twist makes his way to the gang plank and is met by a large sailor with a rather nasty scar on his face. "State your business or be gone" The sailor a middle aged Kaelar human all but snarls at them.
    "Please inform Master Aldriss that his noon appointment is here, Masters Twist and Havoc have arrived" Havoc hands over a small coin and smiles to the sailor, who pockets it and heads up the gang plank. After waiting a few minutes the sailor returns and motions them up the plank into the heart of the ship. Standing on the deck of the Dorya’s Tear Twist smiles and looks to Havoc "It's cleaner then I thought it would be, it almost smells like some fruit or something close" Rolling his eyes Havoc answers back "Yea they have a maid who put mints on pillows here as well" he smirks. As Twist turns to look the ship over he notices that the ships crew all seem to be in uniforms and for the most part were a mixture of human and elves. Scanning he spots someone of authority approaching.
    " Gentleman I am Hanabek Cole first mate aboard the Tear, welcome aboard." The first mate is a Py'rai elven lass with sea green eyes and a lean frame smiles warmly to them. " Please follow me the Captain will see you now" Without waiting she turns and makes her way to the cabins. Following the elf they both look around at the orderly and well maintained ship. Havoc whispers softly to Twist. "Its all very efficient and almost a military feel to it, right?" Twist simply nods and steps out of the sun and lets his eyes adjust to the shaded hall of the main deck cabins. Stepping to the back of the ship knocking the mate waits. "Enter" Hanabek opens the door and motions them within the room.
    Stepping into a rather large room with a series of shelves lined with books and maps a central table large enough to seat a dozen Twist sees the two people gathered within. One a large Vek orc the other a human who was obviously the captain on the Tear.
    " Welcome aboard the Dorya's Tear I'm Captain Alexandros, this orcish brute is my partner and your soon to be employer Aldriss Spanner" The orc stands at his full height he is a little over seven feet in height but his mass is rather slim. " Please have a seat gentlemen and Cole please have the cook bring lunch and a bottle of brandy" Aldriss he said and nods to Cole as she makes her way out following his commands. Sitting in a large high back chair Twist to the right and Havoc to the left of the Captain.
    "Gentlemen I appreciate you coming for this meeting and I wont take to much of your time, simply put we are in the midst of a expedition to a set of ruins which we think holds several tomes that will lead to a artifact known as the Frostmantle, my problem quite simply is I don't know enough about dwarven locks and runes to get into the vault. its set about three hundred feet below the surface of what we believe is a old school in Trollhaven that was once part of a Vek city long abandoned. Hence my contact with you, Twist you come highly recommended as a able lock picker and your knowledge of ancient dwarf runes should help in this and Havoc I am told your knowledge of magic's both priestly and arcane will be ideal in this endeavor " A knock to the door interrupts his talk. "Enter" Aldriss responds to the knock as a petite old elf come into the room. "Lunch sirs, its grill steaks along with potatoes and fresh squeezed juice and apple brandy" The cook sets four plates at the table and bows before heading out.
    Aldriss continues " I am offer you this as a contract for twelve weeks you work for me and I provide whatever you need for this endeavor weapons, gear, money you get a cut of whatever we find lets say ten percent of whatever we find and sell. How does that strike you gentlemen?" Sipping the brandy Twist responds "It is a lot to take in and all the fine dining and booze wont easily sway me, your talking a trip into Trollhaven, its a ruddy swamp and a troll infested mess to boot. As for gear and weapons I am good, money is great but you cannot spend it if your dead." Under the table he gets a slight kick from Havoc and pauses as Havoc speaks up in between bite for his lunch. " What my partner is saying is true good sir, but I am interested in this place so I will counter your offer with this. Concerning gear we keep whatever we find within the this place if anything is worth it, with the exception of your tomes. We will need a upfront some for our supplies of say ten thousand slips of gold and another thirty thousand upon completion of this job" He smiles slightly as he looks between the Captain and Aldriss and a quick glance to Twist shows his partners approval. "What say you good sir do we have a deal?" With a smile he looks to them all and waits.

Aldriss continues " I am offer you this as a contract for twelve weeks you work for me and I provide whatever you need for this endeavor weapons, gear, money you get a cut of whatever we find lets say ten percent of whatever we find and sell. How does that strike you gentlemen?" Sipping the brandy Twist responds "It is a lot to take in and all the fine dining and booze wont easily sway me, your talking a trip into Trollhaven, its a ruddy swamp and a troll infested mess to boot. As for gear and weapons I am good, money is great but you cannot spend it if your dead." Under the table he gets a slight kick from Havoc and pauses as Havoc speaks up in between bite for his lunch. " What my partner is saying is true good sir, but I am interested in this place so I will counter your offer with this. Concerning gear we keep whatever we find within the this place if anything is worth it, with the exception of your tomes. We will need a upfront some for our supplies of say ten thousand slips of gold and another thirty thousand upon completion of this job" He smiles slightly as he looks between the Captain and Aldriss and a quick glance to Twist shows his partners approval. "What say you good sir do we have a deal?" The Captain looks to Aldriss and walks to a small desk, he pulls out a small pouch. "Within it you will find a dozen emeralds that will cover any initial fees. We leave on the morning tide three days from today. Gentlemen"