Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Crafting with Interchangable Parts

Hey guys, I'm new around here. I'd posted this idea on reddit, and someone suggested I should run along and post it here as well.

One thing I had been hoping for in an MMO is snap-on-parts for crafting. Basically a way of modifying the look of an item with interchangeable parts. So with a sword you could choose from like 25 different grips, pommels, guards, blades, runes, accents, colors, special effects, etc once you'd earned them. Same with armor, shields, etc. No tangible effect really, just a way of putting your own signature style on a piece of equipment. The higher level piece of equipment you're forging, the more different and extravagant pieces you can put onto it. This could apply to many different fields of crafting, including animal breeding, where the idea is to breed for different traits, you could breed a signature combination of physicals traits into your animals (specific horns, stripes, color patterns,) so everyone would know they came from you.

Comments

• Very nice idea that has been done before, which, means that it should be simple to follow in theory.

At the end of the day its got to go through the design and developement cycle. I would love to see it too but like other mmorpg's the developers may focus on the overall game and this may not fill in.

If it does, however, become a reality, i will give them $400 for the lifetime sub (hint hint steven if your reading this<3)
  • :Thumbsup:
    This is just one aspect of horizontal progression.
    Variety enables unique builds so people can express their individuality, without any real advantage.
  • The nice thing about it is that it doesn't work too differently from character creation, albeit at a much different stage. Think about it: Character creation is just interchangeable parts, and some shape tweaking. No reason the same couldn't apply to weapons, armor, jewelry, clothing, pets, mounts, etc.
  • I like the idea of being able to make you're character look unique. What would be nice is if crafters had these options so they could create unique looks for there crafted gear. Giving them a way to make their goods different than other crafters while still being the same piece of gear stats wise. Also this could give crafters the ability to take an existing piece of gear and customize its appearance to some extent. That way you can get the look you want, while adding more use for crafters.
  • A very good idea, probably not something to be implemented at the start, but it could definitely be in the to-do list.
  • Yep I agree, being able to craft your own style by adding different parts would be amazing. To go even further, if they could have some sort of art editor within the crafting interface people could really make some amazing things. Of course the problem would be those few bad eggs who would make some offensive images, like adding a swastika on a shield, so I doubt it's something that the devs would do. Perhaps making that a breach of the terms of use, but I'm not sure if it would be enough of a deterrent.
  • I agree with you, but remember, a swastika was first a symbol of good luck in many eastern and south eastern cultures. The more you know!