Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

"failing" an event

I have seen a few posts about consequences for failing an encounter with enemies. I haven't seen anyone apply this specifically to the node events. Do you think that a node could fail an event and what could the consequences be?

Comments

• Maybe the consequence could be loss of node experience?
  • Honestly that is the most reasonable consequence but I believe it would be fun to have some sort of permanent change caused by something so epic as a world boss winning the battle.
  • I think failing an event would be Redundant because a node event should give players enjoyment so giving them some sort of punishment it not that good an idea for this type of game
  • Fair. Though consequence doesn't have to mean punishment. Couldn't consequence just mean change? Ideally something that requires adaptation from the player base as a whole in that node. You're right in saying that a node event should give enjoyment but, in a game where player actions decide the way the world evolves, shouldn't the aftermath of the event also provide enjoyment?
  • I would assume it goes along these lines-
    1.the people fail to kill the boss monster. the boss then heads to the node and attacks the node. NPC guards spawn to fight the dragon. the more the damage it does the more guards, until it is destroyed. so the more capable players can defend the area better.
    2. the world boss spawns but just roams around attacking all players in sight until it is destroyed.
  • Consequences should definitely be implemented. For example, becaue of exploiting resources to much they die out, having the need to import them from a different location which costs more time, money and potential danger by ambush making them scarce and expensive. Food runs out quickly and sickness falls over the little town having to evacuate the remaining people because the corpses are piling up and the smell of decomposing flesh atracts unwanted visitors like ghouls and other corpse eaters. Because of this they have no other choice to destroy their own town by burning it down to the ground getting rid of the virus and the ghouls to avoid further damage to nearby villages. The only thing left now is huge pile of ash scattered all over the what used to be the town. survivors can do 1 of 2 choices. 1 - rebuild their town or 2- move to another, safer location.
  • [quote quote=12323]Consequences should definitely be implemented. For example, becaue of exploiting resources to much they die out, having the need to import them from a different location which costs more time, money and potential danger by ambush making them scarce and expensive. Food runs out quickly and sickness falls over the little town having to evacuate the remaining people because the corpses are piling up and the smell of decomposing flesh atracts unwanted visitors like ghouls and other corpse eaters. Because of this they have no other choice to destroy their own town by burning it down to the ground getting rid of the virus and the ghouls to avoid further damage to nearby villages. The only thing left now is huge pile of ash scattered all over the what used to be the town. survivors can do 1 of 2 choices. 1 – rebuild their town or 2- move to another, safer location.

[/quote]

Dare I title that whole scenario "Ashes of Creation"? Lol
  • If we fail an event I would guess the node will lose a level or get completely destroyed. Depending on the event. A large server wide event should have large server wide consequences.
    I for myself hope it isn‘t only about do or don't. Maybe it‘s also about how the event is handled.
    Let's take the node video as an example.
    City is build up, farming for minerals goes to far, volcano erupts, dragon is spawning and starts approaching the city…
    In the video adventurers go for it and kill the dragon. But what if this is the wrong decision?
    Maybe the dragon didn‘t want to attack the city? Maybe it was a good creature sealed away in the volcano and it‘s intention was to help the city? But now the dragon is dead and can‘t help the city. The true evil appears and now shit hits the fan…
    Not the best story, but I hope you get what I talk about.