Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Big boss with random tactics to kill and real loot equipped.

I believe that moobs need real loots, for example. If a group go into a dungeon and big boss are a ranged clas, this moob loot only objects (weapons, etc...) only for ranged classes, not for every and random classes.

After this moobs only loot objetcs that haver armed or dressed in this moment. Every you goes inside a dungeons, the big boss will be equiped with diferent skin or stats for weapons. I believe that this have a diferent tactics to kill every time that you enter in this dungeon. Same boss with ramdon tactics & stats, but every time same class or random

Regards!!!

Comments

• I've always found it wierd that you couldnt just strip the body of everything in MMO's. It would be a nice feature, but depending on the difficulty of the boss, people will get way to much loot quite quickly.
    Take a game like WoW, you kill a raidboss, it drops like 4-6 items (+coins, bags etc.), if it had dropped every item it was wearing, a person could get a fullset in one go. And you have like 5-9 bosses in a raid, so a raid group could get decked out really quick :(

Maybe you could work around this by making some "item breaking from battle" excuse, so if you hit the feet too much the boots will break, and you wont get that loot. But you would probably still get too much loot.

Regarding the other part of the idea: Random bosses/tactics would be nice, although people would probably still learn the patterns in the end ;)
  • What about this... What if we had random bosses that jut come out of nowhere.. Like you're literally just walking and a giant dragon lands on you and you need to hit up your guild so you can kill it, or risk it and call people from chat.. It seems cool, and the rewards should be worthwhile. I do like JaP's idea but I agree with you Jule... There's lots of bosses in raids, and stripping them would give you full raid armor in one go.

Cheers!
  • It sounds like a really interesting idea, the only problem I have with it is that you cant "consistently" clear a raid and it'll be a lot harder for the creators to balance the game.
  • The boss only loot 1 object no full loot or complet armor.... o one component to build armor like Guild Wars with obsidian....

I believe that all ideas in all... Will do a great loot.... :)))
  • I'm not a fan of the same bosses having different behaviors and mechanics from instance to instance. If Ashes want's their game to have an elder game progression model, whereas players form groups of X amount of players consisting of X amount of each class or role, then random boss mechanics is a terrible idea. You don't want guilds spending 1 week trying to kill this boss because it is os hard, then the next week that boss completely changes and they need to figure out a brand new strat to kill it.

On the other hand, if this is just going to be a casual end game where progression isn't really hyped up to be all to difficult, then random boss mechanics could be implemented but none of which would be too deadly.

As for loot, if the game uses a role based system I.E tanks/healers/dps I don't see a system where a boss is using a bow as a weapon and can therefore only drop a bow weapon when killed, to work. Why would players of other classes then want to run that dungeon if they don't get anything.
  • [quote quote=1460]I’m not a fan of the same bosses having different behaviors and mechanics from instance to instance.
    [/quote]

Maybe instead of being completely random, it just needs a bigger mechanic pool to draw from. The pool is then semi randomized over the cause of the battle, just enough so it ain't the same old thing, but not so random that you get 3 of the same attack in a row. Games like WoW have maybe 5+ boss mechanics that normally cycle more or less the same way.
    What if you have 20 or 30 different attacks (could be reskinned for other bosses too, if theres enough it wouldnt be that obvious), and you then have those randomly cycle. Even though theres gonna be more attacks, you still only have to learn a certain amount of attacks, and with a few indicator and such it would probably be do-able :)

That being said I completely agree that balancing would be a massive issue :(
  • [quote quote=1474]<blockquote><div class="d4p-bbt-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/big-boss-with-random-tactics-to-kill-and-real-loot-equipped/#post-1460" rel="nofollow">
    Maybe instead of being completely random, it just needs a bigger mechanic pool to draw from. The pool is then semi randomized over the cause of the battle, just enough so it ain’t the same old thing, but not so random that you get 3 of the same attack in a row. Games like WoW have maybe 5+ boss mechanics that normally cycle more or less the same way.
    What if you have 20 or 30 different attacks (could be reskinned for other bosses too, if theres enough it wouldnt be that obvious), and you then have those randomly cycle. Even though theres gonna be more attacks, you still only have to learn a certain amount of attacks, and with a few indicator and such it would probably be do-able

That being said I completely agree that balancing would be a massive issue

[/quote]

The problem just comes in making certain mechanics interacting with each other to create a fun fight. If the abilities a boss uses is just random, then it may not necessarily be an enjoyable fight because you have a few situations you can run into. A fight may be extremely hard because RNG is not on your side. From a raiding perspective, RNG isn't a bad thing but when the control of a fight is completely taken out of your hands it makes coordinating a raiding team less enjoyable. One attempt you may get abilities happening in an order that make it almost impossible to survive while on another attempt the boss is so easy you could do it blindfolded.

I actually don't mind this idea at all, just not in a progression setting. I wouldn't put this in a raiding scenario, or endgame dungeons. But perhaps a separate piece of content people can do where every boss is randomized.
  • Ya it was basicly the train of thought i ended up with too, it would be hard to make it enjoyable and balanced :(

So how about this then (at this point im just throwing ideas out there, so its probably a bit rushed ;) ):
    You have like 4 set of 5 attack patterns, at each instance reset (week, day whatever) it changes. To make it more enjoyable the boss might start out with a hint such as: "Hmmmm... So many moving targets, I'm feel like shooting them down", then you know hes gonna go with AoE arrow attacks or whatever :)

So basicly give small "realistic" hints, kinda like when a villain explains his elaborate plan.