Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The Wilderness

What about areas that are outside the zone of influence of any active node? Areas outside of zones of influences don't really contribute to town development. It was also stated that freehold houses can only be built within zones of influence. I get that people will probably fill in the gaps wherever possible, but what about the period of time between the destruction of a node and the rebuilding of a new one in a region? It would be kind of weird if all the homes and other buildings in a zone just simply despawned. If there is no camp or town to hold bounty over someone does that mean that people could just club each other over the head? Would the Dark Ages ensue?

Comments

• Options
    Hi Hartwell, from the node part 1 video and answers from the devs it looks like there's no "out of ZOI area", https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMvubbX-SHg&t=194s except the portals area, it's mentioned that "every activity you do goes to a nodes development" which would also mean there's no out of ZOI area. I asked it on discord but we couldn't find a 100% answer, I'll try to get one.

It's not clear either that at the start of the game when nodes will have a very small ZOI, are they going to border each other even then and getting ZOI from others only.

What is 100%:

1. If a node gets big in ZOI it blocks neighbors from getting ZOI in that direction.
    2. If a node is sieged and loses then it's deleveled or destroyed, it loses ZOI, it's not 100% who gets it, the attacker or the neighbors cause obviously if the attacker then it can create huge nodes fast.
    3. The buildings doesn't despawn, you can even attack other peoples freeholds, and during a siege you have to take over important buildings to spawn there, not destroy them.
  • Options
    *cough* Runescape reference *cough*
  • Options
    I was actually expecting zones of influence to be more like circles around the settlements or segments of land being given to whatever node was in the segment. That border system sounds a lot more fluid, Totholio. Are we talking <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-HkB6MBURI">Rise of Nations</a> style borders?
  • Options
    I was thinking of en entirely different style of zones of influence, like a simple circular area around a settlement or land segments being given to whatever city occupied an area. That sounds a lot more fluid than I was expecting, Totholio. Are we talking <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-HkB6MBURI">Rise of Nations</a> style borders here?
  • Options
    I was thinking of en entirely different style of zones of influence, like a simple circular area around a settlement or land segments being given to whatever city occupied an area. That sounds a lot more fluid than I was expecting, Totholio. The border system I've seen in the RTS games such as Rise of Nations comes to mind. I never played an MMORPG with any system like that before so I don't know of any MMORPG examples for it.